csca
CSCA Professions

29 posts in this topic

CSCA Professions
By: Casper Gaming (Casper667)
Last Update: July 18, 2013
Latest version: 1.0.3

Introduction
Allows you to easily create a powerful profession system in your game. Should be compatible with most other scripts that add similar functions.

Screenshots

The profession menu. Call with SceneManager.call(CSCA_Scene_Professions)
profmenu.png

If using the CSCA Toast Manager, automatic level up/down messages are displayed:

proflvup.png

How to Use
Place in your materials section. Setup required. Instructions in script.

Updates

version 1.0.1

- Cleaned code up a bit.
- Can now disable toasts for this script.
- Added toast for profession discovery.

version 1.0.2
- Profession icons should draw at the correct y coordinate now.

version 1.0.3
- Added faster access to profession level for achievement system.

Script
Text file is found here(copy and paste everything into your script editor in the materials section): LINK
Requires CSCA Core Script to work properly - Get it here!

Optional: For the automatic level up windows, you'll need CSCA Toast Manager - Get it here!

Optional: To easily add this script to the menu, use the CSCA Menu Organizer - Get it here!

Credit
Casper Gaming

Terms
http://www.caspergam...rms_of_use.html

Edited by casper667
Sana, Darkanine, JiM and 4 others like this

Quick update :)

version 1.0.1

- Cleaned code up a bit.
- Can now disable toasts for this script.
- Added toast for profession discovery.

Hello, and thank you for this great script that will eventually save me alot of time with events. Though I'm having a slight problem, When I use your call script change_prof_exp(1,5) I get an error

errordv.png

I have also tried just the Core, professions  organized menus, and toasts scripts in another project and I got the same error. I do have the Core above all the scripts. Any suggestions or has any one else had this problem? 

Instead of using the array number, use whatever you set :symbol to for the profession.

for example:

change_prof_exp(:cooking, 5)

this is neat! i will definitely use it :P

does each characters have diff/individual professions or its party-based professions?

Awesome like runescape this could be perfect for my survival game should it be compatible with falcao crafting/gathering?

I got it, One, I had the scripts in the wrong place, they should have been core, then toasts. I also wasn't reading the script comments close enough the symbol is how the profession is displayed... 

edit: is there a way of using the levels? Is there a script call? So that i can use the level in a conditional branch?

Edited by Markchapman

You could try this, it should work but I didn't test:

$csca.get_profession(symbol).level

where symbol would be the profession's symbol.

Just wondering, is there a way to make this work with battles? I had some ideas and I'm not sure how to make them happen:
Profession gains EXP whenever you use a certain skill in battle.

Profession gains EXP whenever you win a battle with a certain character in the party. (Was gonna use this for a beastmaster character that gives you Demonology points by observing monsters.)

Profession gains EXP whenever you defeat a certain monster. (Something like you train Exorcism by killing zombies, etc)

Nice script! I think I found a glitch, though: when I opened the professions menu, the icons were right on top of each other: 

post-21963-0-00453500-1368398545_thumb.p

I'd fix it myself, but my scripting ability is embarrassingly bad:)

post-21963-0-00453500-1368398545_thumb.png

Just wondering, is there a way to make this work with battles? I had some ideas and I'm not sure how to make them happen:

Profession gains EXP whenever you use a certain skill in battle.

Profession gains EXP whenever you win a battle with a certain character in the party. (Was gonna use this for a beastmaster character that gives you Demonology points by observing monsters.)

Profession gains EXP whenever you defeat a certain monster. (Something like you train Exorcism by killing zombies, etc)

Well for the skills, you could add the change_exp script call into a common event associated with the skill. For the other 2 though I can't think of any easy way to do it. This script wasn't really made with combat "professions" in mind. Perhaps later on I'll make an add on with these features, but likely not any time soon.

Nice script! I think I found a glitch, though: when I opened the professions menu, the icons were right on top of each other: 

I'd fix it myself, but my scripting ability is embarrassingly bad:)

Script updated! :)

version 1.0.2
- Profession icons should draw at the correct y coordinate now.

I have another script for fishing and I wanted the experience to increase each time that I caught a fish. Before your script I was using

def fish_experience

return $game_variables[24] += 1 if $game_variables[24] < 100

$game_variables[24] -= 100

$game_variables[100] += 1

end

My fishing experience was variable 24 and the level of fishing was variable 100.

Can you help me fix this so that I can use it for fishing using information from your script? I will also need this for any other profession that I create.

By the way your script says that it requires your core script of version 1.0.6+ but I cannot find a link to that version. I found the link to 1.0.5.

Edited by DarthVollis

@DarthVollis Your fish_experience method would probably look like this:

def fish_experience
 $csca.change_profession_exp(:fishing, 1)
end

replace :fishing with your profession symbol and 1 with the amount of exp you want the party to gain. Level up/down will be handled automatically.

I also updated the core script to 1.0.6 now. It's nothing major though, only more detailed error/warning reporting.

Edited by casper667

You can use $csca.get_profession(symbol).level to get the level. Then just add >= 2 for the condition to be greater than or equal to 2.