• Announcements

• RagingHobo

Forum Upgraded!   07/17/2017

We have successfully upgraded our forum to the latest version! Some things have moved around but don't worry everything is still there, we still need to find updated versions of the plugins we were using previously to restore everything to the way it was. There will be a running topic in the Feedback and Support in case you notice something wrong. Before you do so please clear your browser cache and close your browser completely to rule out a caching issue. Thank you for your patience during the outage and while we get everything back to 150%  
GubiD

vxa
GubiD's Tactical Battle System v2.4 for VX Ace

119 posts in this topic

Check out this game made using GTBS by Quasi. 

http://rpgmaker.net/games/6058/

It doesnt have a super deep story, but it is still a good play.  Game play time 40-70 min.

I forgot to advertise that around lol.  Still waiting to see if anyone reports any bugs before releasing a rtp included version, but I might actually make it less linear before releasing a rtp included cause I really liked the whole "eleven days to save the world" idea and want to expand it + rewrite some of the lines.

But this was intended to try to grab some attention to GTBS, cause I want to play some fun tactical battles!

This is a really awesome script.
I'm using it for my project but i cant get a few things to work.

1. I'm trying to setup a shop during the battle, when a actor steps on a battle event or used a specific skill the shop should pop up but it doesn't.

2. My second problem is to get the id of an actor, when the actor steps on a battle event or waits on it.

The id would be then stored as a variable.

I get this error whenever I use an item in battle.

http://imgur.com/fD2KTGw

open script manager, and open [GTBS] Process Action, go to line 281 and replace that current line with:

if @action.item_skill != nil

I had already fixed this and can't recall, the old line, but I think it was missing the '@' infront of action

TacticsMan likes this

I get this error whenever I use an item in battle.

http://imgur.com/fD2KTGw

open script manager, and open [GTBS] Process Action, go to line 281 and replace that current line with:

if @action.item_skill != nil

I had already fixed this and can't recall, the old line, but I think it was missing the '@' infront of action

That fixed it. Thanks.

Since I'm not using mini-battle, how do I remove the little "hop" characters do when executing certain actions?

Open [GTBS] Skill Setup and scroll down until you see

DEFAULT_ACTION_LIST_PHYSICAL = []

and either comment out, with #, or delete these 2 lines

DEFAULT_ACTION_LIST_PHYSICAL << ["move", "user", ["target body", "jump 2", "time 20"]]

^ It's like the 3rd line.  Not sure if those r  the default, I may have edited it.  But just look for the line that has jump in it

and

DEFAULT_ACTION_LIST_PHYSICAL << ["move", "user", ["return", "time 20"]]

^ last line, well you could probably keep it since the user never moved it wouldn't do anything besides a small 20 frame wait, I think.

or you could change the 3rd line to something like

DEFAULT_ACTION_LIST_MAGICAL << ["move", "user", ["forward 10"]]

With that, the character will move 10 pixels (no jump just move) then do the animation, but if you use this, you will have to keep the last line so the character moves back to his original spot.

TacticsMan likes this

That worked too, thanks. Now if only Yanfly's Victory Aftermath script was compatible, I'd be all set.
Been waiting for a tactics script. Its how I originally planned my project. Hasn't been too much of a hassle porting my work over, thus far.

Wouldn't be too hard to make.  I've made a battle result screen but I didn't like it and plan to rewrite it.  But when I wrote it I noticed I could change 1 line and it could run mog's battle result without an patch to it.  But I'd have to make one anyways since the way it's written you'll end up getting 2x exp and even players that didn't fight would get exp, since in gtbs you get exp after each kill during battle, and in mogs results all battle members (which gtbs doesn't use) gain exp during the results, giving it 2x.

I'm not sure if I'd be willing to create those patches though.  It would be simple but I don't have the time to do so and with 2.4.1 coming out soon gubid might surprise us with one :P

I'm using the JP system as well as the Dark Cloud Weapons system.
A Victory Aftermath scene goes without saying. Not a high priority yet, though.

This is without a doubt one of the coolest systems I've ever seen. Awesome job!

I'm curious, is it possible to have multiple failure conditions? I'm trying to create a scenario where the main playable character's death triggers a gameover that works alongside other failure conditions. So far I'm just using tbs_failure("death", x) on the main character to make that work, but if I call a gameover in battle while the failure condition is different, it spits out this error:

0okCKd7.png

There is a big problem in the demo of the 2.4 version: when the party is defeated, the game crashes instantly. The error log says there is something wrong on line 114 of Game_Battler-C script. Anyone knows how to solve this bug?

Monsterseye, what is the error you are receiving?  Also, can you please post a issue ticket over at my website?  That way we can keep better track of the issues. 

Misaki, the error message implies that there is not a valid x or y value for the sprite.  Which could only happen if there is an update requested after the sprite is disposed.  I will look into it to see if I can find the cause. 

lerugray, to install the script you need to copy all of the GTBS scripts from the demo to your project.  Then graphics folders.  You can see some older instructions (that are still good) on my youtube channel at: 

And Victory Aftermath is a script I have yet to make a compatibility patch for so far. 

GubiD, I find this script to be very inspiring. I have one question thou, is there possible to remove/disable the sideview bit from 2.4?

I might have missed something obvious, but it would be a great help if someone pointed me in the right direction.

Btw, I'm not saying the sideview is bad, it just doesn't look good in my opinion if you don't have animated characters, and since I can't draw, I would like to skip it to make it look more clean.

Edit: Excuse me, I just found it myself and feel dumb right now. I should've read more closely on what it actually says in the script, not so hard when you do.

Edited by Daniel B

is there a way to make automatic places when you encounter on map events?

i want to make it happen on my own.... but i can't and i already search in whole script...

thx in advance :D

Edited by Shimada Minami

Hello Gubid,

I have been searching all over and I have to say that I have enjoyed how your script works, it reminds mehighly of fire emblem. So to my questions:

1. When you attack an enemy it cuts to that screen where you do whatever and the enemy does the same thing back, if they're attacking. How do I remove that? Because I'm planning on making a long game (Hopefully a 40-60 hr one) and I think having the scene cutway to the battle sequence would make the game longer.

2. I there a way to restrict tiles that enemies and players cant move into?

3. Is there a way I can have a character use as many attacks as long as they have the sufficient AP?

Edited by Animeteal6924

Hello Gubid,

I have been searching all over and I have to say that I have enjoyed how your script works, it reminds mehighly of fire emblem. So to my questions:

1. When you attack an enemy it cuts to that screen where you do whatever and the enemy does the same thing back, if they're attacking. How do I remove that? Because I'm planning on making a long game (Hopefully a 40-60 hr one) and I think having the scene cutway to the battle sequence would make the game longer.

2. I there a way to restrict tiles that enemies and players cant move into?

3. Is there a way I can have a character use as many attacks as long as they have the sufficient AP?

1. Go to [GTBS] Interface Settings and look for Use_Mini_Battle should be about line 48, change this to false.

2. You can set pass-ability in the tileset as normal. Seems to work for me. This should work for regular maps, and the Layy Meta Engine Isomaps.

3. Not sure on this one, but I'd like to know that too, I'll look around.

Is there a demo of a non-isometric game using this script? Thanks.

[edit]

Disregard. I found the demos.

However, the install instruction video in the first post says to copy scripts from one window to another. But I have the Steam version of VXA and Steam won't let me open two instances of RM at the same time. What do I do?

Edited by posfan12

However, the install instruction video in the first post says to copy scripts from one window to another. But I have the Steam version of VXA and Steam won't let me open two instances of RM at the same time. What do I do?

Go into your folder that contains your VXA projects (I think the default is Documents) and open the new project from there, rather than opening it from inside RM.

Edited by Amendment50

Some questions:

• I know that region IDs are important when determining the start of battle, so I added them to my own map. However, something is missing in my map, as nothing happens when I step on them. What have I overlooked? I simply added my map to the demo, so all the scripts should already be properly installed.
  • The empty tiles in the MAP001 demo seem to refer to an event called "EV014", but I can't find the definition anywhere. Is it important?
  • Are there other ways to start combat, for instance in dialogue options or when an enemy is first sighted?
  • I have people walking around my map outside of combat. How do I make it so that these visible characters enter combat instead of the random bats and so forth?
  • Can I get rid of the "place" and "enemy" events and instead start combat wherever everyone happens to be standing?

Thanks.

[edit]

I corrected problem #1. I forgot to set Steps Average to 1 in the map properties.

Edited by posfan12

I get the following error every time I try to run a project (new or otherwise) after importing the scripts and database changes as per the instruction video:

Script 'Layy Meta Engine' line 85: RuntimeError occurred.
LoadLibrary: MGC_Layy_Meta_1_5

I checked line 85 and it's this:

RENDER = Win32API.new("MGC_Layy_Meta_1_5", "renderView", "llll", "l")

Commenting that line out let me run the project but I'm sure something won't work right without that. Can't for the life of me figure out why it does that when I import it, but not when I run the demo.

@NightCrest, that line is needed for the iso maps, if you're not using iso it should be fine.

I'll release my eleven days project one of these days so people can open it and see how to set up battles and steal off my script mods!  ( Never released them since they're poorly written, which means they are buggy.  But I'm too lazy to rewrite them. )

NightCrest likes this

@NightCrest, that line is needed for the iso maps, if you're not using iso it should be fine.

I'll release my eleven days project one of these days so people can open it and see how to set up battles and steal off my script mods!  ( Never released them since they're poorly written, which means they are buggy.  But I'm too lazy to rewrite them. )

I see. I don't really intend to use those, so I guess I'm fine for now. Still kinda curious why it's giving that error though.

How do you get ranged weapons (bows, crossbows) working? I have two Archer class actors, and I have equipped them each with bows. Their attacks however only reach one square away.

[edit]

I got it to work with one problem: the character appears to jump on the target if the weapon hits, even from 15 tiles away. Can I disable this?

[edit]

The second problem is explained here:

http://gubi.us:8001/redmine/boards/3/topics/635

Edited by posfan12