Jonnie91

Resource Feedback Thread

86 posts in this topic

Hey guys, so I swear we used to have one of these up originally but it appears not, So I'm opening one up now! 

This thread is for Art only! (ie Character Art and Sprites) 

If you are looking to get feedback on anything else then you can visit the following links: 

Screenshot Critique Thread (For Mapping, and UI Design)

Music Feedback Thread

Please remember the following rules: 

1. Constructive Criticism not being rude! equally very minimal effort answers like: "Yeah looks good" is equally unhelpful! 

2. Please give feedback on other peoples work where possible! Even if it's not in an area you aren't confident in, it's polite and helpful to give feedback 

3. All other Forum Rules apply

Novem and Paddy like this

I thought I was going crazy and imagining seeing one of these threads in the past.  :lol:

I am currently attempting to create a large sprite of a giant turtle. Kinda like the Adamantoise in Final Fantasy, though I was actually influenced by this sprite of Blastoise that I found.

009.png

Originally I planned on having it stand on its back legs, like Blastoise, but I kinda envisioned it being more hunched over like that mutant in Ninja Turtles 2.

GigantoiseWIP_zpse3eafaaa.png
But it turned out a much easier just having it down on all fours, like so...
GigantoiseWIP2_zps6d5a5733.png
Ideally, I would like this monster to have two states. One standing up, and the other on all fours. What do you guys think of my progress so far? Also, any suggestions or tips on how I should make the standing up sprite would be massively appreciated. :)

Update: 

Pretty much finished the first frame.

GigantoiseWIP3_zps90198bd6.png

Also, a closer look...

GigantoiseZoom_zps46260ab8.png

Edited by The Welsh Paddy

That is a shiny turtle! I'm not so up on how shading and lighting works, but where is the light on it's underside coming from? I feel like it shouldn't be as bright as it is. Also, it might just be my computer, but the pattern on it's shell is a little hard to see. Maybe consider darkening that particular color just a bit? I can't help you with stances or positioning, unfortunately; anatomy is definitely not my forte.

Paddy likes this

I like what you have for the turtle so far a lot. : D The face is well done imo.

I think i agree though that maybe you can find a way to define the pattern on the shell a bit more? Other than that, it looks good.

As for the standing version of the tortoise... Perhaps try something like this? :

post-32964-0-61561400-1393339310_thumb.png

I can send you the .pdf if you would like. But maybe that will help and maybe you can use that as a reference/ base. 

Paddy likes this

Thanks very much for the feedback, guys. :) Based on your suggestions, I made some slight changes...

GigantoiseWIP4_zps4a705d45.png

I darkened the underneath a little bit, but I still wanted it to be a bit lighter because the underside of its shell is a lighter colour anyways. I think it's starting to look a bit more natural though. I also darkened the shell pattern and shaded it a bit more to try and add a bit more depth to the sprite.

@When Bugs Roam Ur House: I shall definitely use that as a reference for the standing up version. Thanks very much!

Okay, this thread needs more activity, so here goes:

Okay, so I'm not a spriter. I'm really not. Most of the stuff I've done was made through brute force and dumb luck. I am also not an artist. I can't draw very well, and as I said in my previous post, I'm really bad at anatomy.

q9k3.png (For reference, top left is named June, top right is Bennett, bottom left is Renée, and bottom right is Lyn.)

That being said, I've decided to hand make most, if not all, of the assets in my game myself, and there's always room for improvement. For instance, I see flaws all over the place here, but I can't quite figure out how to fix them, or even how to point some of them out. One of the obvious ones is that I can't sprite ears, apparently.

The anime-ish style is a relic from high school. I want to get rid of it ASAP, but I'm kinda stuck with it right now.

Be gentle, but be honest; I want to improve. ;w;

@Ooga-chaka!

That's a lot better! I understand what you mean about the underbelly, but I just think it was too bright before. The shell looks just fine to me. That turtle is simply irate, though, and I don't know why. He's kinda scary, even.

Okay, this thread needs more activity, so here goes:

Okay, so I'm not a spriter. I'm really not. Most of the stuff I've done was made through brute force and dumb luck. I am also not an artist. I can't draw very well, and as I said in my previous post, I'm really bad at anatomy.

<Image snip>

That being said, I've decided to hand make most, if not all, of the assets in my game myself, and there's always room for improvement. For instance, I see flaws all over the place here, but I can't quite figure out how to fix them, or even how to point some of them out. One of the obvious ones is that I can't sprite ears, apparently.

The anime-ish style is a relic from high school. I want to get rid of it ASAP, but I'm kinda stuck with it right now.

Be gentle, but be honest; I want to improve. ;w;

Don't kid yourself Spooky, those faces are actually pretty good.  I really like the style, and the way you did the eyes is gorgeous.

One thing I would suggest is to change the way you outline inside borders.  Take a close zoom and see what I mean.

eclyR6B.png  And try hue shifting your color ramps.

SpookyMothman likes this

I like the style a lot, i think they look really great imo.

I also think their anatomy is really good btw. I can't see any real/ noticeable mistakes actually.

Anddddd... Hey, XD whats wrong with drawing in an anime style? Or did u mean u want to do something more realistic. (?)

SpookyMothman likes this

@charlesthehurst

Okay, I definitely see what you mean about the inside borders. I would never have thought of that, honestly.

I don't know what you mean by "color ramp". Is that a Photoshop thing? I made these in Paint.

@When Bugs Roam Ur House

There's nothing wrong with anime styles. I'd just like to push my own style a little westward.

Thanks for the feedback!

A color ramp is all the colors you are using (the base color, shadow colors, highlight color, etc.)

ramp1.png  This is a color ramp.

Basically, you want to change the important values of the color as you make a color ramp.

Brightness (from dark to light, to create shading and highlight colors)

Saturation (how vivid a color is, less saturated will look greyish)

Hue (colors can shift slightly into other colors such as reddish oranges or yellowish greens)

For example, a blue color ramp would normally have a blue-purple as the darkest color and a blue-green as the brightest.

SpookyMothman likes this

That makes sense. See, again, not an artist. This is something I never would've known.

Thank you.

EDIT: Any tips for how to do the color ramp well? Or is it mostly a trial-and-error thing?

Edited by SpookyMothman

Read this: http://finalbossblues.com/thinking-in-color/

And this: http://finalbossblues.com/read-between-the-pixels/

And most importantly this: http://finalbossblues.com/using-and-choosing-colors/

Yes, it pretty much is trial and error XD

There is this tool which helps with experimentation: http://www.pixelfor.me/crc/

I'm somehow even more confused after reading all of that. Hm... well, if I keep plugging away at it, I'm sure it'll click eventually. Thanks again. You two have been very helpful.

Wow, those links were like a crash course in color theory in one very quick sitting. The bit about hue shift has given me a sudden change in perspective. Thank you for posting those, charles! 

Now it's got me thinking about my first little sprite set here. He's a little frog creature, sentient, and often can walk about on the two hind legs. Hopping about is more for fun and expression. Here's his hopping stills...

woodsspritebasic.png

He's so tiny that any lighting effects I did are just barely visible until you zoom in. I may be doubling the resolution of my game, so perhaps that is okay, but I would love to hear what everyone thinks. Any suggestions for little creatures such as him?

Oh, and the weird limb colors are a camouflage-with-nature part of their species; his legs look like wood and his hands look like stone. He will likely be getting a redesign soon to include those textures on more parts of his body, but those will be more apparent in the portrait than the sprite.

To Spooky (or Mothman?), I feel your sentiment on the art style. I did the same thing as a kid. Started doing humans Yu-Gi-Oh style, then gradually found my way out of it as I grew up. Some art and figure-drawing classes and hours of practice later, I feel like I'm finally settling into an animated style that's purely mine. Here's a portrait I just did for one of my primary human protagonists;

Laki_facesample_1.png

It's still full-size, so it'll clean up more when I get it fit into the little portrait resolution for the game. ( ^ also open for critique! She has a big role to play, so I want her to be as perfect as can be.)

I would say the biggest difference between western animation and japanese anime-style is the handling of features. Western character design takes into account the atmosphere of the story to decide whether the facial features should be smaller and more realistic, or bigger and more expressive. It also tries to make each individual in the story have differently shaped noses, eyes, foreheads, and jaws from each other so they look unique. Traditional anime tends to be stylized to the point of eye differences being primarily in color between heroes (villains get weird, smaller eyes to signify them as evil), and all the noses are the same. Anime is streamlined to be inexpensive, yet attractive, and characters tend to have large eyes no matter how dark of a world they live in (though there have been some recent exceptions).

I think your characters look fun and very streamlined! They would serve well, but if you would like to see them more in a western style, perhaps doing some experiments with eye/nose/chin shapes would be fun.

Edited by LakiLarian

I really like that frog sprite. :D

Zooming in, I noticed that for the left and right facing sprites, you just flipped them. While it's not noticeable with such a small sprite as that, on larger sprites it makes the shading inconsistent. I did the same thing for a while, but when I started using Photoshop, I started working in layers. That way I could duplicate flip the left/right facing sprites and then add the shading in after.

And that portrait is looking pretty neat. I like that it still looks hand drawn and not drawn digitally. I definitely prefer that over the overly clean and crisp look of the RTP style.

Here's another sprite I'm working on.

Assassin_zpsdd88230c.png

And here's how he looks in motion...

Assassin_zps1390e627.gif

And zoomed in...

AssassinZoom_zps6f71692e.png

LakiLarian and Bukarett like this

You make a solid point about the flipped lighting! I will definitely need to remember that when I make the normal-sized sprites.

As for the portrait, I do love the high-resolution sketchy look myself (she is particularly clean-cartoon for the sake of this project compared to my graphite art).

Here's what happened to it after being fitted into RM's template though.. (I tried it twice in different programs to see if it would help, but I don't think so).

Laki_corel2.png

I feel I may need to rethink my strategy. Maybe really thicken the lines, and try sizing it down again. Making the drawings At the RM template resolution definitely doesn't work, so I just need to figure out how to make them large so they look best sized down. Or get a script to handle larger images in-game... hmmm.

The assassin's front looks good so far. The clothes work well from standard viewing distance. I can see how consistent lighting will be really important on his helmet, so I'm sure the finished product will be very nice.

For some reason, the way the gif plays the animation as "1,2,3,1,2,3" (instead of "1,2,3,2,1,2,3,2" as it will in-game) makes him look like he's doing a dance move based on horseback riding  :P .

Photoshop does a pretty good job of keeping lines smooth, intact, and usually visible. (Powerful program, right there.) :)

Here's another sprite I'm working on.

Assassin_zpsdd88230c.png

It's looking good, but you have some very dark colors where they probably shouldn't be, such as the hood. If you made the whites yourself, consider adding a new shade in between the 4th and 5th (from lightest to darkest). Also, it might just be my computer, but the browns around his torso are too dark, and they almost look black. Maybe try lightening them up a bit.

I just realized that the RTP sprites use pure black in their palettes.

I'm attempting to create a different visual scene for battles.

fa8v39.jpg

Obviously he's not in style with RTP resources but since I'll be creating my own enemies it's fine in that respect.

Tried going with stylistic shading (inspired by an artist named Brute) but how does it look to you guys? 

His ass was inspired by Snake.

I like the perspective. It's like a non-pixel-art version, front-facing Yanfly's Engine Melody flipped on the x-axis. ^-^

*grabs defibrillator* CLEAR!

Me keeps topic alive by posting!

I decided to try and really practice animating something harder than what I've been doing.  This may or may not end up in a game...

0Rl9oW0.gif   Any suggestions?

TheHarmp likes this

Oooooh, wow it looks fantastic! \o/ i really like its animation a lot. \o/

..I can't really notice anything i don't like about it...... Though... maybe i guess (i think) the big, white glare spot could shake a bit less?.. (•u•) And then i notice that there is a slight hick/ indent at the very bottom of the gold frame...

But other than that it looks very good.

@charlesthehurst - Thank you for reviving this wonderful topic.

I don't know what that is, but it's very shiny. Bugs basically said everything I wanted to say.

===

So I've been making my own monsters.

XQzVo3n.png

These are two of my more recent sprites. I'll be at least recoloring all my old ones. This one has yet to be recolored properly.

7p9XYgN.png

Think of this guy as a filthy homeless wizard. It made me realize that I'm terrible at anatomy... again. It's obviously nowhere near being done right now.

I guess I'm asking a few things.

> In general, what can I do to improve? Mostly with shading, because I'm not so confident about it.

> Does the style clash with the other graphics in the game? For reference, here's a face and a character sprite:

eYGQOya.png

It might be worth mentioning that I use the vanilla trippy background (or lack thereof) for battles.

I'm still nervous about posting my stuff.

J0pac, AlliedG and TheHarmp like this

UadTcfi.gif  Okay, here's the newer version.  Tweaked some things and made the base silver.

Your shading's not that bad Spooky.  Might I suggest playing with the colors a bit?  Also try dithered shadows.  http://kitted.deviantart.com/art/DITHERING-TUTORIAL-Basics-69747353  for a crash course in dithering.

And the style matches wonderfully. :D

Spooky, that is a really great style. I love how cartoony it is. Please keep doing what you do.

Here's the first boss of my game. Generally, enemies have parts that can be amputated to achieve different effects. Here that is the robot claw (the placement is wonky atm though)

f580w7.png

The amputation system is being done without scripts, too. :) 

SpookyMothman likes this