Jonnie91

Resource Feedback Thread

86 posts in this topic

The old one just looked kinda creepy, Xerofew. That wouldn't fly.

I've finally gotten away from my old faux-anime style, or whatever you'd call it, and into a style that's much more comfortable for me. I'm still getting into the swing of things, so things need to be cleaned up, but in the meantime, I'm in need of some feedback. New versions on the left, old on the right.

Q97bseF.png5fHFOSv.png

N4lACG6.pnggYjtbxW.png

o6jTD16.png3m4iRSS.png

Suggestions for what I should do differently? Maybe some tips? Anything would be appreciated.

I like charlsethehursts' sprite quite a bit, the colors really standout so it's crisp looking. Can't see anything besides the leg thing really o;

SpookyMothmans' style is really neat! Reminds me of old cartoon network :P I guess the drop shadow behind the characters could go, or it could be lightened a bit. The lighter lines on the ghostie look better than the really thick lines I think, the weights of the lines just need to be varied a bit. It's really cute though x-x And the shadowy thing next to it looks really cool, i think the blurriness around the eyes should be sharpened to match the rest of it.

kAWPXOh.png

Help me with this sprite. Something looks weird about it? I'm going for a retro/gameboy kind of style. He's supposed to be wearing a hoodie. Also, with different eyes!

@Nyapurgisnacht: I like the way the sprite looks so far! It's hard for me to really pinpoint what would help the hoodie look more... hoodie-like aside from adding maybe some more depth to the color palette. But if this is supposed to be done in retro style with a limited palette then I'm not sure how to add the illusion of more depth to the sprite and make it look more proper. My biggest suggestion would be just a little shading above the eyes from where the hoodie is over the guy's face. *shrug*

Showing this off as a compare and contrast type thing. I had some art done for the Desperation Artes in my game, but decided I didn't care much for the style and would redo them. So, here's the original style:

tumblr_nvresizjF91uvljn3o2_1280.png

And here's the new style:

tumblr_nvresizjF91uvljn3o1_540.png

I know I'm not the GREATEST artist in the world, but I'd like your thoughts. ^_^

The eyes are cool, and I like the simple style of the hair.  I would tone down the mouth color, he (she?) looks like he just ate a cherry lollipop.  :D  I see you have some faint shading on the face, maybe darken it and see how it looks?

@Nya - Are you going for a Gameboy style, or is it inspired by a Gameboy style? Either way, the shape is just right. The greys need more of a difference in brightness, and the detail in the hood, particularly on the back sprite, should be toned down or removed entirely, probably. Gameboy sprites aren't exactly known for their details. Are you using Pokemon RBY sprites as examples, by any chance? That's the vibe I get, anyway.

@Kain - The new version is greatly improved over the original. Try adding some detail to the hair, 'cuz right now, it looks like a yellow hood.

@Kain

Have you tried adding some apparent lighting?  Maybe add some highlights and shadows and see if that makes details like the hair stand out better.

I'm working on some tiles, I'm determined to get this grass tile right.  Tile by itself in top left.  Any comments or critique?

hDI6TxO.png

Ah, um... this thread's been quiet for months, so I hope this is okay...

@charles - It looks really good, and I think the colors are about right. It's kind of hard to tell how it looks without knowing what the rest of your tiles will look like, but I think the brightest shade is maybe too bright; it looks great close-up, but from far away, the brightest shade stands out a whole lot.

I haven't sprited anything in too long, so I decided to go with something way simple to get back into things. I made a ghost cat.

vjy1doI.png

PNsqFFb.png

It's supposed to look like a bedsheet ghost, except it's a cat. Suggestions for making it look less flat would be great.

Edited by SpookyMothman

Let's give this another shot.

So, for some reason, I'm not great with small sprites. I'm much more comfortable working with larger sprites. There's more room for details in larger sprites, and single pixels don't mean nearly as much, I suppose. But I tried my hand at smaller sprites again, because I kinda gotta.

HB9BfFx.png

The sprites on the left are the originals, the ones on the right are the new ones I'm experimenting with.

I'm trying to make small sprites with outlines, so that they stand out more. Not sure what to do with the third one down: her skin and hair are dark, so it makes her outline look lighter in comparison to the others'. I'm also sure that proportions are weird, but I don't have an eye for these things just yet. I hope to, though.

Feel free to nitpick. I could use the help.

charlesthehurst likes this

SAdjgQH.png

Yours on the left, my edit on the right.    Adjusted the brown girl's hair.  Gave it more shape near the top and rounded it off.  Also tried playing with the color of it.  Darkened the outline color.

Been a bit since this topic has had any light shed on it...

(blows the layers of dust off gently)

There we go.

I've messed around with Game Character Hub for a bit, and I'd like to share some of these creations with you.

So, here's one.

5993711e30a68_FaceMakeup.png.f33465b49fad095892758fa2000fc3db.png

With this one, I changed the colors of the outfit, and I added makeup. Nothing too fancy, or too dull.

If you want, you can have this, and it you want to change anything, I'll include the library item as well.

Face + Makeup.7z

Enjoy.