casper667

csca
CSCA Dungeon Tools

190 posts in this topic

CSCA Dungeon Tools

By: Casper Gaming (Casper667)

Last Update: September 6th, 2012

Introduction

This script allows you to enable/disable use of pre-made "dungeon tools" easily with switches. The pre-made tools include: Reset, Arrow, Bomb, Hookshot, Boomerang. Each tool behaves slightly differently, and it is recommended to download the demo to get a better understanding of how each tool works.

Features

- Adds an Arrow, Bomb, Hookshot, Boomarang, and Reset tool for use in dungeons/wherever you want

- RESET: Resets the map to how it was when you entered. This option will NOT turn switches/variables back to their original value, but it will turn self switches to false unless RESET_EXEMPT is put in the event page of an event. It also transfers the player to where they were originally after the previous transfer.

- ARROW: Shoots an arrow in the direction you're facing. When it hits an event, if the event has ARROW_ACTIVATE in a comment event command, it will activate the next self switch. If no self switch is on, it will turn A on. If A is on, B will be turned on, etc.

- BOMB: Sets a bomb down where the player is standing. When the player steps a specified amount of times, the bomb blows up, activating the next self switche of events underneath it, as well as directly above/below, and to the right/left. The self switches are only turned on if BOMB_ACTIVATE is in their event page in a comment command.

- HOOKSHOT: Shoots a hookshot in the direction of the player. If it connects with an event that has HOOKSHOT_ENABLED in a comment event command, it will move the player to that event, even if there are impassable tiles in between. If no event is hit, or the event does not have the comment command, the hookshot returns to the player.

- BOOMERANG: Shoots a boomarang, which can collect one item at a time(requires some eventing, shown in demo). If the boomerang flies over an event with the comment command BOOMERANG_ACTIVATE, it will turn on that event's next self switch.

Update 1.1

-Fixed boomerang misspelling

-Aliased a few more things

-Bomb is now seperate from other tools, as in you can use other tools while a

bomb is planted. However, you're still limited to 1 arrow/hookshot/boomerang

at one time.

-Tool events are now designated by comments rather than entering a predefined

event id in the module.

Update 1.2

-Bug fixed that occurred when a player transferred to a map with no events set up for this script.

-Fixed bug that caused a crash if any event on the map had no event pages with met conditions.

Update 1.3

-Added ability to hold a button down to turn in the direction pressed instead of moving. This is able to be done at all times.

-Fixed reset bug

-Added ability to require the player has items to use some tools. For example, the player might need an arrow in their inventory to use the arrow tool.

-Increased compatibility by aliasing more stuff.

Update 1.3b

-Made compatible for CSCA Menu Organizer

Update 1.4

-Damage floor now doesn't damage the player when hookshotting over it.

-Added a new region, similar to region 1 but only functions if a switch is ON.

Update 1.4b

- Region ID 1 will no longer allow tools to go through events. Use the other regions for this effect. (Toggle-able).

Screenshots

View of tool selection menu:

dungeontoolspic1.jpg

Arrow in use:

dungeontoolspic2.jpg

Bomb in use:

dungeontoolspic3.jpg

Boomerang in use:

dungeontoolspic4.jpg

Hookshot in use:

dungeontoolspic5.jpg

How to Use

Place in your materials section. Further setup required, instructions included in script.

Demo

1.6MB download here: LINK (Version 1.4b)

Demo includes icons, premade bomb animation, and character sheet.

Script

Text file is found here(copy and paste everything into your script editor in the materials section): LINK (Version 1.4b)

To easily add this script to the main menu, please use the CSCA Menu Organizer: LINK

Requires CSCA Core Script to work properly - Get it here!

Click spoiler for resources that go along with the script

Animation:

bombanimation.png

Character Sheet:

dungeontools.png

IconSet already put together:

iconsetr.png

FAQ

None yet.

Credit

Casper Gaming

Shaz

Terms

http://www.caspergam...rms_of_use.html

Edited by casper667
Gavin, shaz, Rosenblack and 3 others like this

This is really nice. It seems like it would be really straightforward, though. You'd know exactly when and where to use each tool.

@Reat, Yes, Lufia II was def in my mind while making this, minus the boomerang :P

@Plagues, the puzzles in the demo are just about as simple as you can get to make it easy for people to understand how to use each tool, yet still show off their function. However, the puzzles you make in your games can be just about as complex as you want them to be, possibly combining all 4 tools plus some other puzzle-elements in a massive puzzle, or just using one tool in a way you would normally not think of using it. Of course, you can make simple, straightforward puzzles with these tools as well, or just spice up existing puzzles :) It's all about how you choose to use these tools. Also keep in mind that while it may be straightforward for the developer, it's not always straightforward for the player. :)

Wow... o_o

I've programmed a dungeon tool system for my game too. It sort of looks like yours, since I also had Lufia II in mind. =P

Except by the fact that my game doesn't have a boomerang. But it has other tools.

@Reat, Yes, Lufia II was def in my mind while making this, minus the boomerang :P

@Plagues, the puzzles in the demo are just about as simple as you can get to make it easy for people to understand how to use each tool, yet still show off their function. However, the puzzles you make in your games can be just about as complex as you want them to be, possibly combining all 4 tools plus some other puzzle-elements in a massive puzzle, or just using one tool in a way you would normally not think of using it. Of course, you can make simple, straightforward puzzles with these tools as well, or just spice up existing puzzles :) It's all about how you choose to use these tools. Also keep in mind that while it may be straightforward for the developer, it's not always straightforward for the player. :)

Hm, I see. So, you could combine ALL 4 TOOLS into 1 puzzle, then? You have to hit the switch to open a door, that leads to an area to get a key, so you can come back and unlock a door leading to a hallway with a floor that collapses, that you can hookshot to the other side... or making an airlock type sequence of doors?

I didn't analyze it very far, but now that I look deeper, you could make some complicated stuff. I might actually download this. Thanks!

Is it possible to event this so that each tool is only available on certain party leaders?

Sry I'm on my phone atm and I won't be on the internet for a few days cuz i gotta do stuff so I thought I'd ask while i wait for my net :P

@snow Sure! The entire script can be turned on and off by turning a switch on or off, so if you wanted party leaders to not be able to use any tools, you could simply turn that switch off.

Each tool is also controlled by a switch, so if you wanted one party leader to have the hookshot, bomb, and reset, you could turn those 3 switches On, and the boomerang and arrow switch Off when that specific aprty leader is party leader :P

EDIT @Plagues Yes, you can use every tool in each map, the only limit is that only one tool can be active at a time(so if you have a bomb placed, you can't shoot an arrow until the bomb explodes).

Edited by casper667
snow likes this

EDIT @Plagues Yes, you can use every tool in each map, the only limit is that only one tool can be active at a time(so if you have a bomb placed, you can't shoot an arrow until the bomb explodes).

Any chance that can be changed for a future version?

So I tried to copy/paste this and then change the switch used for the tools, so that I can have two different parties that can effectively do the same thing, but with different names. Party A gets Arrows and Boomerang, Party B gets Bomb and Hookshot but Party A uses Telekinesis and Party B uses Magic. I am sure you know what happened...Stack too deep error. So, tried renaming the second script...nada.

What can I do to allow two of these same scripts to be running but using different switches and such?

@Plagues, of course it can be changed :) It just depends to when I get some free time and feel like working on this script.

@Juan Alvarado I don't get what you mean? You should only be using this script once... Turning off the Arrow switch will get rid of the Arrow selection in the menu, same for all other tools. So all you need to do is have an event check which party the player is using, and set switches accordingly.

No, no, I got the script working just fine, switches and everything, but what I wanted to do is have a second script as well, but Arrows_A would be switch 3, Arrows_B would be switch 13, etc

This way, for example, two different party leaders would still be able to do all the same dungeon tool stuff, but there would be different names for them, different graphics, everything, because there would be a second script set up with whole new information.

Problem is the stack too deep error, I tried to go into the script and add '_B' to some stuff, but to no avail, plus I have no idea what stuff I should do (and not do) it to.

Dig?

Ahh, well, copying and pasting this script twice will get you nowhere.

You can, however, do this through the event that checks which party leader is currently in the party.

To change graphics, you'll need to do this script call: CSCA_DUNGEON_TOOLS::ARROW_INDEX = 5 to change the arrow graphic to the second-to-the-left index of the specified file with the graphics. Likewise, you could also do CSCA_DUNGEON_TOOLS::BOMB_INDEX = 4 to change the bomb graphic to the lower-left index of the character sheet. If you need to change the filename, this should work CSCA_DUNGEON_TOOLS::FILENAME = "text"

To change the names, CSCA_DUNGEON_TOOLS::ARROW_NAME = "newarrowname"

To change the icons, CSCA_DUNGEON_TOOLS::BOMB_ICON = 413

Just wondering, does this script let you reset the dungeon after the player leaves?

Because I'm not going for a random encounter system, but one more like FF13, where enemies are walking on-screen.

So I wanna make it that enemies re-appear after you switch maps. (Resetting their self-switches)

Does this script let me do that?

No, it can only reset maps that the player is currently in. I'm not sure how you have your monster events set up, but if you want them to re-appear you could probably use Erase Event instead of setting self switches to get them to disappear. This would let the event re-appear automatically the next time the player enters the map.

FK Yeah! Thanks for this, Casper! I'll definitely use it! Is it compatible with SAS IV by Khas Arcthunder? It's an ABS btw.

@Rafael Black I'm not very familiar with that script, sorry. But you can always try it out in a project with SAS IV and let me know if it throws an error(and what the error is) and I can try to make it compatible :)

Rafael Black likes this

No, it can only reset maps that the player is currently in. I'm not sure how you have your monster events set up, but if you want them to re-appear you could probably use Erase Event instead of setting self switches to get them to disappear. This would let the event re-appear automatically the next time the player enters the map.

Oh, thanks, that works :)

Do you have any other custom scripts?

You can also try downloading the demo and opening it up in the editor and seeing how things are done if you're confused at how something works.

EDIT: Oh, and make sure direction fix is NOT checked for the event that will be used by this script.

Edited by casper667

The script will be updated to no longer use a specific EVENT_ID soon, however right now you can use the script call CSCA_DUNGEON_TOOLS::EVENT_ID = 1

(replace 1 with whatever event id you wish to use for that map).

EDIT: Okay, script has been updated now.

Edited by casper667

This is a really cool script. My suggestion is to have a way to disable the tool select button altogether, as I can do everything I need with just the arrow tool and don't want there to be a random button lying about that opens a pointless screen ^^

Nice work!

EDIT: Just came across a bug. It only occurs on one of my maps and no others, not sure why.

line: 479, no method error, undefined method 'size' for nil:class

It triggers when I go to shoot an arrow.

Edited by Tobyej