somewhat proudly presents

SSx4R2p.png

ZlXtH8S.pngvyXCybO.png6nTjFad.pngga6NETi.pngshQ1FcS.png

rI3SkDy.pngAHd3aVJ.pngOsg6n0Y.pngepjvdyY.pngZqwrsVc.png

A game in development by Tsarmina

1CAvaJV.png

Introduction (Tsarmina)
"Didn't your mommy teach you it's polite to say hello?"
I'm Tsarmina, resident redhead, global moderator, and misleading cutie. I first began using VX Ace in the summer of 2013, with no previous programming experience. So bear with me, because I’m still learning. ^-^ Ariel’s plot came into my mind, in the form of fragments of inspiration, when I was just ten years old. Since that time, it has evolved greatly in the back of my mind, and has returned not as a novel but as a game. Despite its title and relation to water, Ariel is not inspired by the Little Mermaid.

Ariel is a MIST Games production. MIST stands for each of my four personalities—Minzy Lin, Ies Dejarnette, Soizelle Ravenscar, and Tsarmina Vernehawke.
C6ZKx0H.png

Thanks for supporting me in my endeavour, as I am working on this project as a one-man team.

Story (Ariel)
"Time is a continuum, ever flowing, ever moving."
Atlantis is regarded as a myth, where mermaids swim and water swirls. In truth, Atlantis does exist. Of course, this is only a legend in the mind of high-school swimmer Ariel. But beyond her fantasies of shimmer-tailed beauties and clear water lies a real world of witches, elves, angels, felini, avi, and yes, mermaydes. Ruled by a tyrannical queen, Atlantis is about to be thrown into boiling turmoil by the battling political organizations that are rising, ready to destroy the queen's rule once and for all.

Cast (Elise)
"Who am I?"

Ariel features a (ridiculously) large cast. Almost all are playable in some form or another, and each has a complicated past and rocky future. Characters are listed by organization alignment, but the profiles do contain lots of heavy spoilers for the future story.
<Unaligned>

Ariel Hartmillion
Species: Mortal
Forte: Sensible
Fault: Skeptical
“Don’t sweat the small things in life. Focus on what’s joyful!â€

Ready for college, Ariel is a young woman with a deep passion for swimming and fantasy. According to her, she would give anything to be a mermaid—or so she says. One day Ariel’s wish is granted, just not in the way she expects. Suddenly thrust into a world of clashing politics, tyrannical queens, outlaws, rebellions, revolution, and the most romantically magical love triangles Atlantis can conjure, Ariel’s about to experience a new life—as a child of the wandering sea.

Lilian Fairwright
Species: Mermayde
Forte: Spirited
Fault: Self-conscious
“Secrets are meant to be kept.â€

None expected for sassy Lilian to become Ariel’s classmate in the mortal world, but Lilian doesn’t mind. While most in Atlantis regard mortals are useless, she finds them interesting. She is Ariel’s best friend. Opinionated, bold, and serious nemesis of queen supreme of their school—a certain Elise Noire—Lilian has a very attractive personality and appearance. When Ariel’s life is changed, however, Lilian realizes her own life will change with it.

Nick Frasington
Species: Merman
Forte: Social
Fault: Obsessive
“I know it’s cheesy, but this pun is so grate I can’t help it.â€

A fairly well-known jokester for his love of pranks, puns, and pie. A typical social butterfly, Nick is outgoing and exciting to be around at all times—especially when it comes to the ladies. Despite his occasionally silly and taunting exterior, Nick indeed has a heart of gold. He willingly involves himself in every interesting event, including the current uprisings concerning the two “secret†organizations plotting to overthrow the Queen. And it all starts off with a cursed girl named Cordelia….

Elise Noire
Species: Witch
Forte: Intelligent
Fault: Haughty
“If you can’t keep up, then fall behind, get out of the way, and leave room for the rest of us.â€

Elise has always thought more than the average genius witch should, a genius among geniuses. But her high IQ leads her to a solitary life, often viewing herself above everyone else due to her intelligence. When she’s forced to work once with a partner, Elise immediately finds a way to disband. Little does she know she’s set into motion one of the most earthshattering Bridge events in history. Normally cold and unfriendly, Elise strives to help the girl she’s unknowingly hurt—maybe it’s time to put her skills to the test.

Stella Windsor
Species: Elf
Forte: Honest
Fault: Garrulous
“Aw, how cute! It’s so tiny and colorful and—aw, I just want to hold it like a baby.â€

A skilled young elven girl who has the misfortune of being forcibly paired up with the cold genius witch Elise. But Stella doesn’t mind; she takes this as a good opportunity! Along with nature magic, Stella excels in spiritual magic, including creating power. But one day she makes a mistake. She’s given power to a mortal girl, changing her for good. While sometimes seeming blunt and dense, Stella truly feels all of her emotions outright, allowing her to be a friendly and empathetic person.

<Ivory Moon>

Jonathan Greymore
Forte: Selfless
Fault: Inexperienced
“I’m not boring. I simply lack the witty capacity that some people have.â€

A high-class water user who just can’t stay still. He’s always on the lookout for someone who needs help, always seeking benefits for the populace. So naturally, he’s part of the rebellion. But with the passing of their long-time leader, Lady Auburn, comes new responsibilities—because she pins the leadership on him! Not only that, but she asks him to keep her two daughters safe, one of whom doesn’t like him at all. And then there’s the pressure of leading a rebellion….

Code name: Quicksilver

Nadeshiko Sasaki
Forte: Wise
Fault: Eccentric
“Fortune favors the brave, but prophecy favors the meek.â€

Lilian’s long-time peculiar friend and a mermayde with an unusual power to see glimpses of the future. Not only does Nadeshiko have an eye for magic, but she can understand and analyze it, too. Serving as a powerful behind-the-scenes role in the Ivory Moon, Nadeshiko is occasionally treated to surreal sights of the future, which she then interprets. While she appears enigmatic and mysterious, Nadeshiko is more outgoing once a relationship is developed, and she is a kind and loyal friend who understands emotion.

Code name: Rose Petal

Sabrina Garlinn
Forte: Persistent
Fault: Brash
“Don’t get cocky. There’s always someone better than you out there—and that someone happens to be me.â€

A high-risk and powerful member of the Ivory Moon. She’s targeted about as much as Cordelia and Noel, infamously powerful sisters. And rather than focusing on the queendom, Sabrina’s more concerned with the opposing organization of the Black Star. Brash and unthinking, Sabrina isn’t afraid to challenge anything that clashes with her beliefs, which can land her in trouble. Her strong, unwavering fighting style and powerful magic usage makes her an unnerving foe in battle.

Code name: Scarlett Raven

Noël Whitearbor
Forte: Experienced
Fault: Sentimental
“You don’t see the whole picture. This is bigger than me, bigger than the two of us.â€

An infamously powerful and young-looking mermayde. Noel has a burdened life to live with, especially as she’s targeted due to her aural presence in the Ivory Moon. Despite her dolly and fragile appearance, Noel is a force to be reckoned with, strong and experienced from seventeen years of fighting for her life. She and her sister Cordelia are recognizably prominent. Noel is not only an excellent fighter, but she can relate to others and comfort them when in need. On the other hand she crushes enemies in battle.

Code name: Winter Frost

Cordelia Whitearbor
Forte: Caring
Fault: Insecure
“The earth should be at peace. Pain is all self-inflicted in one way or another.â€

A strange girl, and by all means a strange case. Cursed when she was younger, Cordelia’s silver hair, pale eyes, and ability to change her appearance attract attention everywhere she goes. She and her sister Noel have had a rocky past both together and apart, and it’s hopelessness at what Cordelia has done that lands her in the Queen’s hands. A gentle soul and a generally peaceful contender, Cordelia only engages in violence when absolutely necessary in self-defense, and ultimately wishes for everyone to live in harmony.

Code name: White Fox

Reyna Ingeld
Forte: Agile
Fault: Defensive
“That was a stupid, stupid decision. Did you just make a mistake or are you truly daft?â€

Calculating, untrusting, suspicious, defensive, and always on the lookout. Reyna is a polar opposite from her fraternal twin Eunice, but the two of them are always together, always having each others’ backs. Raised from childhood as a member of the Ivory Moon, Reyna’s skills are unparalleled by almost any other citizen of Atlantis. As her diplomatic nature is buried rather far underneath her sharp exterior, she appears blunt and one-dimensional at first-time greetings, but truly does feel the pain and sorrow of the life of a rebel.

Code name: Crimson Orb

Eunice Ingeld
Forte: Smart
Fault: Lost
“Quiet, both of you. Raising your voices to compare your decibel count won’t do us any good.â€

Gentle, generally soft-spoken, and level-headed. Eunice has a smoothly running mind that takes her far away from everyone else, and consequently ends up not listening to what others are saying. Despite this, she is the brains behind many plans of the Ivory Moon, while also a thinking force in organization meetings. She and her sister Reyna are often described as a perfect team—Eunice is the brain and Reyna is the brawn. Since Eunice’s strength lies in strategizing, she will use this to her advantage in any battle.

Code name: Cerulean Ice

Marnie Silvermane
Forte: Deadly
Fault: Introverted
“Leave me.â€

An orphaned girl, once nameless, who joined the Ivory Moon in hopes to overthrow the queendom and start a revolution where peoples like her, abandoned and lost, could be free and happy. Marnie is rarely seen without her beloved unicorn Gazelle, and shares a special connection with her equestrian partner. Often she estranges herself from human contact and sits alone. Despite this, she is an excellent fighter with many advantages mounted on horseback, and tears through opponents in combat.

Code name: The Gazelle

Deinara Aprilson
Forte: Fierce
Fault: Stubborn
“I’m not called the Diamond for nothing—if you think you can outlast me, you’re wrong.â€

Lorelle’s identical twin and the daughter of the late Lady Auburn, who was the previous leader of the Ivory Moon. After their mother’s death, both girls were entrusted to Jonathan, Lady Auburn’s protégé, but Deinara is sure the seemingly perfect boy is too good to be true. Acidic and fiercely protective of her sister, Deinara is not someone you want as your enemy, but would be the longest-lasting friend you could ever have. Her unwavering loyalty and superb skills make her an excellent combat partner.

Code name: The Diamond

Lorelle Aprilson
Forte: Forgiving
Fault: Foolish
“No person without a heart or soul would be able to act kindly toward me for the amount of time you have.â€

Deinara’s identical twin and a friend of Jonathan’s. After being placed in his care, Lorelle eventually warmed up to him, while Deinara did not. The once inseparable sisters are now divided over the loyalties and true identity of their mysterious guardian. Lorelle believes every person has a kind heart under whatever façade they project, and works to see the best in each and every person. This leads her to be very foolish and gullible in some of her actions, but she truly does believe in all she does.

Code name: Autumn Leaf

Melina Auburn
Forte: Wise
Fault: Cryptic
“Patience is a virtue. But in its own way, so can being fickle or rash.â€

The former leader of the Ivory Moon. She passed away recently. Like most in the tyrannically ruled queendom of Atlantis, her life expectancy was bound to be low. Upon her passing, she gave the leadership to Jonathan, as well as entrusting him with care of her two twin daughters. Known as Lady Auburn, she was regarded as one of the best leaders the Ivory Moon has ever had. Wise, caring, and leading the Ivory Moon through their declarations of peace and diplomacy, she shaped the Ivory Moon into what is it now.

Code name: The Pegasus

Hilary Enfield
Forte: Eager
Fault: Gullible
“Um, yes! I mean, um, no. I’m sorry, I know I’m not very good at this….â€

A recent addition to the Ivory Moon and a rather clumsy one at that. Despite this, she is so eager to prove her worth as a trustworthy person to the organization that she wonders if they think she’s overdoing it. Whatever they think, Hilary has her reasons….how she couldn’t help her friend years ago. As for her ungainliness, whatever Hilary loses to that she makes up in her healing prowess. She is more than competent and enjoys using medical skills to assist others in need.

Code name: Velvet Fawn

Esthetique Goldson
Forte: Adaptable
Fault: Confused
“No, I don’t understand why this is happening. Is it because of me?â€

Rich, beautiful, revered—and daughter of the Queen. Chafing under her mother’s tyranny, Esther despises her life treated as a doll. She abandons her old life to run away and join the rebellion of the Ivory Moon, leaving behind her broken family, the boy she loves, and her protection. But after being sheltered so long, this new life is rough and painful for her to understand. Monsters and hunters, being chased and restricted, and of course the loss of her mother in her life. Would she really want to live like this? Ever?

Code name: Crystal River

<Black Star>

Safire Blackstar
Forte: Brilliant
Fault: Manipulative
“There’s no discussing it. I’m a fair leader, and laid-back, but you will show me respect or regret it.â€

The self-appointed leader of the Black Star who lost her past in a concussion accident when she was an infant. She feels deeply indebted to the Black Star for taking her in when she was young, and works relentlessly and far into the nights devising plans to attack the government and reduce the queendom to rubble. By the time she was sixteen, she proclaimed herself leader of the Black Star, and no one argued. Nothing fazes Safire. Except for one thing—why does she hate the palace so deeply? And why is she so amazing?

Code name: The Seastone

Azalea Greensea
Species: Angel
Forte: Gentle
Fault: Fearful
“Please….stay with me. I’m afraid of what may come in the dark.â€

An angel—a rare and often hunted race—and twin sister of Magnolia. Azalea is always hiding, afraid of the night, wishing for the dawn. In the Black Star, she feels safe. Unlike the rarest of angels, Azalea does not have wings, but she’s thankful for this—wings would only attract more attention. Her angelic healing powers are unrivaled by any single other race in Atlantis, and this makes her and her sister instant targets for anyone who knows of them.

Code name: Thistle

Magnolia Greensea
Species: Angel
Forte: Cautious
Fault: Depressed
“The horrors…the lengths that people will go to to have the power of an angel.â€

Twin sister of Azalea and the rarest of angels—the kind that has wings. Magnolia despises her life in hiding on the run. Unlike Azalea, who is unthinkingly benevolent about healing those in need, Magnolia remains adamant that angels should only heal others if they are worthy of being saved. Her wings attract even more attention, so she often keeps them willingly trapped flat against her back under her clothes. Her inability to show her true self leads her to mild depression, though her healing skills are still unsurpassed by anyone.

Code name: Wreathed Petals

Nemesis Tawnwood
Forte: Lascivious
Fault: Loveless
“Behind this façade of battle-hardened kick-butt warrior…is an empty heart trying to be filled.â€

A currently popular sexy model living in Atlantis. In the outside world she is attractive, seductive, and attention-loving, but her inside life in the Black Star reveals her as a quiet deadly foe. That’s the only way Nemesis feels like she can protect herself—to appear scary and mysterious, so nobody would dare approach her. Underneath, she only wants someone who truly understands her. She cannot fall in love. That part of her was somehow stolen away from her when she was younger….which must be related to her curse.

Code name: Cold Revenge

Pharhan Merlyn
Species: Contradictory
Forte: Adventurous
Fault: Suspicious
“I don’t think everything’s right….I don’t trust any of them. Not with people like us.â€

Always persecuted by the government, Pharhan and his non-blood-related sister Dawn are Contradictories, and therefore cannot live normal lives unless hiding in the Black Star’s embrace. Pharhan’s superior earth powers are regarded as an excellent arsenal in the Black Star’s eyes, while viewed as a wild cannon that must be put down in the queendom’s. But Pharhan doesn’t trust the Black Star fully; he’s sure they’re just using him and his sister as weapons. His trust is only in himself, and there’s no way he can turn.

Code name: Black Leopard

Dawn Morgaena
Species: Contradictory
Forte: Self-believing
Fault: Overprotective
“I don’t understand why we can’t just be normal people in the world—as normal as we can get, anyway.â€

Pharhan’s adopted sister and a fire Contradictory. Inside, all she wishes is to expel her power. It only has brought her pain and suffering. On the other hand, her brother loves his power and wants to combine his and hers to become the most powerful team in Atlantisian history. Dawn enjoys the protection of the Black Star, and wishes to live as normally as possible—after crushing the queendom, of course. Her wild and offense-specialized fire techniques against normal water powers make her a must-have team member.

Code name: Rising Sun

Alicia Wileson
Species: Felinus
Forte: Humorous
Fault: Short-tempered
“Ooh! Good idea, right here!â€

A dangerous and yet adorably sweet felinus, sister of Alexis and Felix. Living rather apart from the rest of the Black Star in a treehouse buried in the forests, Alicia is more sensible than her sister Alexis but also more cruel. Using typical double-claw attacks in battle, Alicia doesn’t hesitate to utterly crush her enemies even before she’s established whether they’re innocent or not. Her temper flares easily, transforming her from a level-headed felinus to a bloodthirsty fighter in battle.

Code name: Ghost Feline

Alexis Wileson
Species: Felinus
Forte: Playful
Fault: Annoying
“I’d generally prefer something shiny…and expensive…and interesting to keep!â€

Though cute, cats aren’t all fun and play. The same goes for Alexis and Alicia, sisters with catty attitudes. Alexis prefers to wander freely around the forest, ignoring duties and responsibilities as a member of the Black Star, while Alicia follows her orders. Alexis is bright, naughty, and fun to be around, but she rarely changes her mood respectively to what’s going on at the moment, which can make her extremely annoying. Despite this, she’s an excellent fighter even though she takes nothing seriously.

Code name: Gold Prints

Sana Mayehawke
Forte: Creative
Fault: Absentminded
“Real lives are bitter, but at least dreams are sweet.â€

A dreamy mermayde who loves art and music more than anything, and often doesn’t pay attention because her head is in the clouds. While she drifts off and leaves the conversation behind, she is surprisingly up-to-date on what happens because her subconscious listens and pays attention. She is fairly different from her sister Lisbet, but both of them believe ardently in the righteousness of the Black Star and their ways of taking down the government.

Code name: Gentle Fire

Lisbet Mayehawke
Forte: Organized
Fault: Strict
“Tada! Color-coded apparel and accessories for everyone!â€

There are a lot of siblings in the Black Star, and Sana and Lisbet are no exception. Lisbet tends to be the neater, more orderly of the two, paying rapt attention when Sana is busy daydreaming. Her need for order and tidiness can drive her to OCD levels at times. Everything Lisbet does is extreme, including her fighting style—she employs a monstrous scythe which can collapse into a compact box, but luckily she rarely utilizes it for anything except picking her sister’s clothes up off the floor.

Code name: Vanilla Flower

Beau Aarongrad
Forte: Experienced
Fault: Misunderstood
“That’s really not how I used to be! I wasn’t always like this.â€

One of the rarest kinds of heroes, the kind that underwent reincarnation and was reborn from the start of his life while retaining all his past memories. He knows more about the organizations that most of the senior members! But Beau died tragically, though he doesn’t even know how. Born into a new life, he’s now just six years old with a twenty-two year old’s mind. Back then he was one of the greatest heroes, a valiant and brilliant fighter, and known to all. Now, he’s just a child.

Code name: Red Dragon

Max Kilbride
Forte: Balanced
Fault: Aimless
“Oh, I remember just fine. But peace isn’t an option anymore.â€

Like many people with nowhere to turn, Max left his old life for a new one in the Black Star. He thought his life would take a turn for the better, but instead he is suffering from depression. Max has become a danger to himself to the point that the Black Star isn’t sure what to think about him. Despite this, he knows enough to set apart his personal life from his political one, and his depression only fuels him all the more in battle. Max is determined to take down the queendom so his life can return to normal.

Code name: Necromancer

<Golden Sun>

Queen (Linavahle Goldson)
Forte: Unrivaled
Fault: Maniacal
“All hail myself, for I am your ruler.â€

The current Queen of Atlantis, the 954th generation of familial Atlantisian Queens. Assuming the throne at a young age after her mother’s untimely passing, Linavahle was always regarded as an unusual soul. Her rule marked the beginning of chaotic tyranny—laws were issued, Contradictories were persecuted, male citizens were placed under progressively tighter and more restrictive rule, and it became obvious that the Queen was a raving lunatic. Queen’s madness grants her unpredictable fighting style and unparalleled masses of raw magic that flow through her, creating a psychotic despot with no room for compassion.

Sasha Reuenmarc
Forte: Polite
Fault: Cocky
“It doesn’t matter that I’m not a wielder of some ancient snowmobile-sized sword. I can still kill you.â€

A brilliant military strategist, battle analyst, and combatant raised from birth to be of use to the queendom, Sasha seems to be excellent at everything. While the Queen usually has little tolerance for males, Sasha is one of the very few that are allowed by her side due to his exceptional skills. While he does excel in battle planning and can exploit weaknesses in his foes if all else fails, his skill also lies in straight-up combat, during which he has no qualms about using deadly force, intense water magic, and swordsmanship in battle.

Gisele Reuenmarc
Forte: Confident
Fault: Dismissive
“Would you like a potion? I have poison in five different varieties.â€

Older sister of Sasha and a more-than-adept alchemist. Gisele often works in the background, not favoring front-and-center battle, but has a natural air of confidence that lets her appear unfazed even when confronted with dangerous and unpleasant situations. While many regard her brother as more brilliant than her, Gisele still treats him dismissively, enjoying reminding him she has her region of expertise as well. Though preferring no dirty work, Gisele’s unorthodox use of chemicals and ingredients makes her a scary foe.

Minzy Lin
Forte: Clever
Fault: Nosy
“What? No, I’m not giving this back to you. It’s mine now!â€

Cheeky and mischievous, a thief who only joined up with the Queen recently after being caught. Instead of serving her time or suffering punishment, Minzy saved her skin by offering her services to the Queen and the queendom. Minzy’s strengths lie in trickery, pranking, and speed. Faced with no options, she has a silver tongue and can talk her way out of almost anything. Her swift attacking style and remarkable talent with a whip is more than enough to make up for her naughty personality.

Mathieux Delacroix
Forte: Artistic
Fault: Emotionless
“The art of killing is a beautiful one. I am an artist, and a well-trained one at that.â€

An assassin well-known in the black market underground connections of Atlantis, Matheiux prides himself on being a master of art—that is, murder for hire. He has no qualms about what he does as long as he receives payment in full at the end. While his words are always smooth and gentlemanly, Mathieux can come across as deadly, enigmatic, and almost scarily calm at what he does. He leaves no trace of his crimes, and has only joined up with the Queen due to the excellent pay she offers.

Elikka Ranmort
Forte: Collected
Fault: Restrictive
“I follow the way of the spirit, and remain pure among the stained populations.â€

Cool, calm, and collected, Elikka is the most devoted and pious member of the small Golden Sun—and not to the Queen. She believes more in the culture of her homeland, where she actually has never been before. Elikka prefers to avoid combat as she believes horrible karma follows the act of injury and killing or aggressive encounters, but she follows orders diligently. She is often described as a wanderer like the desert wind, since in the ample time she has she cares little about the political war ravaging Atlantis.

Screenshots (Safire)
"Look into my eyes and tell me what you see."

Many, if not all, maps are parallaxed. These maps feature both beautiful tiles from various artists (bless you) and battleback pieces, as well as my own creations. Atlantis is not the only location you explore—visit the mortal world, cross the Bridge, and examine every corner and cranny. Maps are chock-full of exciting objects to investigate and collect, and it’s up to you if you want to find them!
Note: I don't have my screenies all up yet :\

UNDER CONSTRUCTION (like the rest of this post)

u6PcdFi.pngLY6aC2O.png

PK0q793.pngYz3vUAg.pngEqTv2Nj.pngxCA1GUc.png

Terminology (Nadeshiko)
"I don't think you understand. Let me explain this to you."

Atlantis has an interesting vocabulary that is not entirely supplied by common language. The greater terms are listed here with explanations.

Mermayde: A "maiden of the sea"; someone with the naturally magic power to work with and manipulate liquid water. Not to be confused with a siren.
Siren: Distantly related to mermaydes. Scaly-tailed with fins, more like the mermaids in myths. Naturally harbor the power of water.
Aves: Magic birds with the ability to assume a human form. Naturally harbor the power of air.
Felinus: Magic felines with the ability to assume a kemonomini form.
Elf: Sharp-eyed and generally with pointed ears, elves are magic creatures who specialize in archery and/or spiritual nature magic.
Witch: Magic beings with a natural ability to work with darkness. Due to this unnatural non-elemental power, they are often solitary and shunned and feared by the populace.
Angel: Magic beings with a natural power to heal. They may or may not have wings. Due to their medical powers, they are often sought out or hunted for their ability.
Contradictory: Magic beings who harbor raw nature powers that do not include water. For example, air, fire, or earth. Not to be confused with Avi or witches because Avi have two forms and Contradictories cannot use darkness because it is not a nature power. Due to their raw power, Contradictories are instant criminals in Atlantis as decreed by the Queen.
Atlantis: A magical queendom that exists in a magic space between worlds. 
Ivory Moon: A secret political organization that strives to take down the Tyrantocracy through peaceful means. While they are equally skilled in combat as they are diplomacy, they try to avoid bloodshed when dealing with the powerful queendom. Because the Ivory Moon and the Black Star have different methods, they often argue and fight.
Black Star: A secret political organization that strives to take down the Tyrantocracy through violent means. They believe peace is no longer an option with the queendom because of the increasing levels of tyranny on the part of the Queen, and are not afraid to engage in combat despite the power level of the queendom. Because the Ivory Moon and the Black Star have different methods, they often argue and fight.
Golden Sun: A small organization formed by the Queen that works to prevent the Ivory Moon and Black Star from destroying her reign. Only her close advisors are part of the Golden Sun; her armies are all simply just under her rule.
Senior: A slang term for someone who has been an active member of one of the political organizations for more than a decade.
Allegiant Oath: A magic oath made when sworn into an organization. It cannot be broken unless a new Allegiant Oath overwrites it, but the oath requires long amounts of time to perform, certain rituals, and certain items.
Trinity: The three forms of water magic able to be learned by any merfolk: water, steam, and ice. Water is the most common and easiest to master.
Mortal: Mundane non-magic beings who live across the Bridge on the human side of the world.
Bridge: A portal between the mortal world and Atlantis. It’s usually stable, but occasionally has falters, so most of the time nobody travels across it.
Queendom: The official government title, ruled by the Queen. By definition, it is an absolute autocracy and monarchy.
Tyrantocracy: A derogatory name given to the queendom due to the Queen's oppressive tyrannical autocracy.
Queen: The name of the ruler of the queendom, regardless of her actual name.
Afterlife: The glorious land of those who have passed away. Little is known about it, because there is only an entrance to the afterlife and no exit.
Reincarnation: A rare process experienced by select individuals who have been great heroes all their lives and then pass away unexpectedly. Reincarnation is a choice, and one that can be turned down. Few heroes choose to reincarnate rather than live in the afterlife. The process of reincarnation gives a new life to the individual while retaining their past.

Gameplay: (Sasha)
"Rules of the game...."

Ariel features multiple storylines that you can choose from, each from a different characters' perspective: Ariel, Elise, Nadeshiko, Cordelia, Safire, Nemesis, Pharhan, Max, and Sasha. This may or may not happen, since that's the equivalent of making about ten games. =_= Each character has a different nature and different features.
Ariel's plot is very complicated. Politics can become very convoluted, and moral decisions may give way to harder choices. Your moves are up to you. Recognizing allusions and symbols, understanding foreshadowing, and remembering characters and actions are all vital if you want to succeed.
As for a battle system, some characters will have combat (turn-based). Others may have choice-based unorthodox "battles" and some may not have battles at all! It depends on who you play as and that character's role and nature.

rUDrDC2.png

Ariel uses the keyboard to interact with the game. Currently there is no game controller or mouse/pathfinding support.

Features (nemesis)
"Ice cream isn't good unless you have a cherry on top."

Part of what makes Ariel unique is the effort put into enhancing user experience. Not all of these features can be promised as "original," "one of a kind," or "first ever," but they do make a difference.

Multiple Storylines: Play as who YOU want! Choose from ten very different characters.
Multiple Endings: It all depends on your choices.
Political Allegiance: Join the Ivory Moon or the Black Star, or whatever you like.
Switching Alliances: If you are unaligned, it is easy to switch alliances. If you're part of an organization already, try making an Allegiant Oath to switch to a different group.
No “Good vs. Evilâ€: It's not all black and white! Moral moves may not be the right choices. Motives may be driven by a greater cause.
No Random Encounters: All enemies can be seen on the map. Since, you know, you actually have eyes.
No Gold-Eating Enemies: Can't be good for their digestion. Instead, your enemies will drop loot that makes sense depending on their species.
NPCs Who Actually Say Interesting Things: They will say different things when you talk to them. And it’s interesting.
Battling or Nah?: Depending on who you play as, you may experience turn-based tactical combat, choice-driven "combat," or sometimes no combat at all. There is no button-mashing ABS.
Politics Galoreeee!: A lot of it.
Custom Portraits: A lot of them. All drawn carefully by myself—and not just for main characters! Others have faces or portraits too.
Customized Sprites: Edited by myself, with 8D counterparts fully sprited by myself.
Sprite Animations: Sit down, look around, close your eyes, wave. 
Animation and/or 3D...ish: I hope. Yeah, this may or may not happen for cutscenes....
Open-World Ending: Since there's so much to explore, the ending of the game is open for you to keep exploring. As a bonus, after the ending you can also recruit any-allegiant people as party members, not just those of your own alliance.
Fortune-Telling: If you play as Nadeshiko, you will have this option. 
Stealing Junk + Sneaking: Yes, you can steal stuff from people. Yes, you can sneak around without them noticing. Thieves for the win!
Romance or Nah: Some storylines have romance, some don't. And you can always break it off if you don't like it.
Specialty Skills: Different characters have special skills. For example, only Lorelle wields an umbrella as her weapon. Or only Elise learns skills after she's been attacked by them.
Recruitable NPCs: Those who are not the ten main PCs, do not fear! You can recruit major NPC characters to be part of your party as well.
Likeable (ish) and Good-Looking (I hope) Characters: Umm...it's all personal preference.
Minority Races: Not just Caucasians. Ariel features Asians, African Americans, Indians, and much more as well.
Turn-Based/Tactical Battle System(s): No ABS mindless button punching. Turn-based combat actually requires you to think.
Choice-Based “Battle†System: Some characters "battle" through choices.
No Murdering (kinda): Enemies don't always die. They just get defeated. Because if you killed everyone you meet, you're quite the criminal.
Parallaxed Maps That Hopefully Look Good: For extended user experience and aesthetic feel! They feature both tiles and battleback pieces.
Quest Journal or To-Do List: So you don't have to remember everything that you're supposed to be doing.
Matriarchal Society: The buff guy with the cool haircut doesn't have to be the hero! Most characters in Ariel are female. Though, there is a reason for that....
No Dying if Necessary: If you get defeated in battle or by some other method, do not fear. You will return to your last save point.
Custom Events: Complex and customized events to make cool things happen.
Custom Title Screen: It took me a long time. Custom art, scrolling background, changing foreground character....But super super thanks to Euphie, who scripted it for me!
No Grinding: You certainly don't have to.
Set Weapons: You keep the same weapon. After all, if you've used an umbrella as a weapon all your life, how do you plan to change to a whip?
More Custom Art: CGs, title screen, battlers, backgrounds, and way more.
Sensible Weapons: Sure, carrying a snowmobile-sized alien-gel-fueled dual-core plasma rifle-sword is totally realistic—not! You actually have sensible weapons. Er...sensible, relatively.
Mod Slots: Since you can't change your weapon, you have to enhance your powers by using mods. (Or items.) These can be found pretty easily.
Developable Relationships: Fall in love, become sworn enemies, have friends, secret partnerships, elope...it all is your choice.
Lots of Love from Me :')
Made by Tsarmina :P
And more! I think.

Future plans (Pharhan)
"Live in the present, live for the future."  

Storylines for every single major character! This was my plan when I first started Ariel, but each character's storyline is so complicated that it would encompass several different games.
A cooking system.
Ummmm.

Credits (Cordelia)
"I can't live without you."

Aaron Krogh, Ameblo, Ayene, Cait, Celianna, Cocodoco, Enterbrain, Estriole, fbu, Galv, Gorlami, GrandmaDeb, Hanzo Kimura, Hira, JDBArtist, Joel Steudler, k3, Kaduki, Kain, Kairi Sawler, Liberty, Lunarea, Mack, Microsoft, mjomusic, Modern Algebra, NeonBlack, Quigon, Scythuz, SeerUK and OriginalWij, Sen?, Soramani, T30, Tabino Yadokari, Timmah, Titanhex, Tsukihime, Yanfly

Special thanks to Allusion, Amerk, Cecillia, cirucat, Euphoria, flarify, Galv, Holder, Jonnie91, kaz, and Rizrazzle— you guys have a special appearance pre-credits :)
If I forgot, improperly credited, or accidentally added someone, please tell me and I will gladly make amends.  J

Support (Deinara)
Support me and Ariel! Here's a fair share of support bars which you can pick from. (Or you can pick ALL of them!) Just highlight, Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V into your signature. ...Oh wait, those aren't up yet either. Under construction, fellas. Under construction.

To check out some more art by me in the same style as Ariel, take a quick detour to my Resource Laboratory!

6LOfEM3.png

Dev log (Max)
Most Recent Update: 08.29.14: Screenie added :)
Archived Updates:

09.08.14: Date Topic started...at long last!

-reserved space-

*hesitates*

*sighs*

It's finally up! I can die in peace now haha! 

Those of you who check my lab on a regular or possibly not so regular basis, I have been hinting very heavily at the game I'm making--called Ariel. Well, here she is! This is a really rough/drafty/alpha version, and I'll definitely be polishing it up as time goes on.

*nervousness*

It took courage to post this  :ph34r:

This is quite beautiful! ^_^ I was curious about you project since that last response to my update about having 500 MB or so. xD

Now I see why... ..probably not but those fancy parallax maps are probably one reason lol.

I hope to see this in action/the future once your project develops. I'm excited as well to try it out! ^_^

Tsarmina likes this

Omg, yay! I'm so happy to see Ariel! WHOO-WHOOO! *pops confetti*

I, unfortunately, found this post right as I need to go to bed. But I'll be returning to take more of it in. (And especially to read up on the bios!) Still, based on what I've seen, even for a thread under construction, this looks really great, Tsar! I give you mad props for undertaking such a highly complex game, with the multitude of routes and player choice involved. I can't even begin to imagine what mad eventing skillz this is going to take, lol. I'll be excited to see how it all comes together. I also really like the moral ambiguity factor; I can tell this game will need to be watched very closely. 

Also, this line really stuck out to me: â€œThe art of killing is a beautiful one. I am an artist, and a well-trained one at that.â€

I now slightly fear Mathieux as a result. @0@

Elise reminds me soooooo much of one of my game's MC's, Esther. I seriously could not stop smiling at how much like a big sis she'd sound to her! (At least, the one she's always wanted.) Totally cool~!

Can't wait to see where this goes, hun! And I know how scary releasing one's hard work can be, but you've nothing to fear! Ariel is shaping up well~  :D

Tsarmina likes this

Aaaah~ ^w^ It makes me feel happy and fluttery that people like it~ 

Nice! I'm excited to see how you update this thread.

..Your maps are gorgeous. *_* I wish i could make a game already.

Hopefully you will stay motivated on this. Gl. : )

Thanks Bugs :) I really appreciate the words of encouragement! And hehe I'm not that good at mapping imo. Honestly, I pretty much just started parallaxing. Interior is easier than exterior though, for me. (Hence, no exterior maps up so far :\ Mostly because I haven't made any) And don't lose hope! I'm sure you can make a great game if you put your mind to it :) The problem is finding something that you're really dedicated to so deeply that you wouldn't be able to bear not continuing. Best of luck with that~ Projects can be hard to continue, I understand.

This is quite beautiful! ^_^ I was curious about you project since that last response to my update about having 500 MB or so. xD

Now I see why... ..probably not but those fancy parallax maps are probably one reason lol.

I hope to see this in action/the future once your project develops. I'm excited as well to try it out! ^_^

Thanks~ ^-^ Yeah, the project file is huge! Not to mention all the graphics, and yes the parallax maps are probably killing my space \(O_o)"/ I really appreciate it.

Omg, yay! I'm so happy to see Ariel! WHOO-WHOOO! *pops confetti*

I, unfortunately, found this post right as I need to go to bed. But I'll be returning to take more of it in. (And especially to read up on the bios!) Still, based on what I've seen, even for a thread under construction, this looks really great, Tsar! I give you mad props for undertaking such a highly complex game, with the multitude of routes and player choice involved. I can't even begin to imagine what mad eventing skillz this is going to take, lol. I'll be excited to see how it all comes together. I also really like the moral ambiguity factor; I can tell this game will need to be watched very closely. 

Also, this line really stuck out to me: â€œThe art of killing is a beautiful one. I am an artist, and a well-trained one at that.â€

I now slightly fear Mathieux as a result. @0@

Elise reminds me soooooo much of one of my game's MC's, Esther. I seriously could not stop smiling at how much like a big sis she'd sound to her! (At least, the one she's always wanted.) Totally cool~!

Can't wait to see where this goes, hun! And I know how scary releasing one's hard work can be, but you've nothing to fear! Ariel is shaping up well~  :D

YAAAAY, thanks Allusion :D Your replies are always highly encouraging and keep me motivated :) Yeah, the bios can be a little overwhelming. So many people, but I couldn't bear to cut any of them out ;_; And they're all so important in their own way. Lol yes the game is frustratingly hard to make, it's been quite a while now and I haven't evented any large plot-based things yet. It's gonna be a long road ahead *stares at the wilderness*

I'm glad you made that comment about Mathieux by the way. ^^" Yes, he's supposed to be very....unusually scary. Fear is good! He likes fear! And "art," if you catch my drift. O_o

Ooh, that's definitely cool :) I'll definitely have to keep that in mind. Maybe they have a mental connection ;) Do you have a game post up yet? I can't quite recall at this point, sorry D: If so, I definitely need to reread it. ^-^

------------

I really appreciate all the comments you guys have left ^-^ I'll be updating over the course of the next few weeks to get this polished up (and my maps made...yeah....) and I definitely need to edit dem profiles....it's like walls of text at the moment....urghhh.

Thanks for all the support! :D

Hmmm... some of the features remind me of the kind of thing I was thinking of with my encounter escalation system idea. It's kinda nice to see more games that are designed around battles that didn't have to be lethal or even openly hostile!

You should give Ariel a brother or sister named Helvetica. :P Okay okay that joke would make more sense if it were spelled Arial...

Oh, no, I haven't posted anything haha. I'm still making tons of dummy maps and test situations to make sure my features aren't overwhelming or clunky to use. Q^Q

Oh! And I also wanted to compliment the tiles you're using~ I really like those beds and bookshelves! Customizing tiles is almost therapeutic for me, lol. Also, interior maps are way easier than exterior for me as well.  :)

Wow, looking like a promising project with potential!

Uh, the alliteration was unintended, but the sentiment is sincere!

Good luck on this, and looking forward to any updates with anticipation! 

Hmmm... some of the features remind me of the kind of thing I was thinking of with my encounter escalation system idea. It's kinda nice to see more games that are designed around battles that didn't have to be lethal or even openly hostile!

You should give Ariel a brother or sister named Helvetica. :P Okay okay that joke would make more sense if it were spelled Arial...

Oh, I did see that topic! Yeah, I always wondered, who just wanders up and start hacking away at random enemies? Who even said they were your enemies?

Or Pristina or Chaucer. :3 Tbh though I always wanted a relative named Mistral

Oh, no, I haven't posted anything haha. I'm still making tons of dummy maps and test situations to make sure my features aren't overwhelming or clunky to use. Q^Q

Oh! And I also wanted to compliment the tiles you're using~ I really like those beds and bookshelves! Customizing tiles is almost therapeutic for me, lol. Also, interior maps are way easier than exterior for me as well.  :)

You should post :D I'd definitely check it out! I'm sure it's gorgeous ;)

Thanks! I messed around with some tiles for later on in the game as well~ 

Wow, looking like a promising project with potential!

Uh, the alliteration was unintended, but the sentiment is sincere!

Good luck on this, and looking forward to any updates with anticipation! 

Thanks, Wren ^-^ I appreciate the words of encouragement hehe :) I'll see if I can update soon!

Noooooooooooooooooooo lyyyyyyfeeeeeeeee whyyyyyyyyy....you give me no time to do the things I love anymore.....

Just as a quick update, since this topic really doesn't actually tell that much about the game itself, I thought I'd spend a bit of time talking about some of the playable characters. If you were able to get through the Features without falling asleep or the Gameplay, you'll know I have ten playable characters in this game, each of them with a highly interesting and unique but yet connected storyline. O_o

Naturally, since the game is called Ariel, I thought I'd spend some time on Ariel. :)

LfQBN55.png

For the last time, yes, she has eyebrows! Don't fret!

Ariel is technically the central protagonist of the story. Mind, this was back when Ariel was just a story and not a game yet :)

It may be odd, but despite her playing that role, I haven't been able to develop Ariel as much as I would like. Not because I haven't spent time on it or can't relate to her....I just haven't been able to develop her as much as I would like to. *wishes desperately for an RP*

I made Ariel originally to be a typical heroine character: brave, loyal, flawed in ways that she could eventually overcome; thrown into a mysterious world that she didn't know anything about and would have to master and eventually become a major part of. In a way, she still is; Ariel is probably the most flexible character in the story/game, since she wasn't originally part of the Atlantisian world and therefore she has so many different options to lead in this "new life" of hers. After a while though, Ariel became a little less of a physically heroic character and more of a philosophical and intelligent character, which makes sense in context of the game (it is highly political, after all! :))

When it comes to action though, Ariel is still a "warrior" type class, though I have to admit she looks great with her fencing sword rather than a typical weapon. ^-^

Allusion likes this

Yus! I'm glad you're getting into some of the characters more~ (Characters are my favorite part of any game/story.) 

Ariel is so pretty, and definitely looks like a thinker/dreamer in her picture. I totally get what you mean when a main character isn't as developed as you'd like. It's always frustrating, but the good news is that she's as solid as she is! (I really hate the ones that you're not sure you'll end up keeping in the end. Or else they end up changing drastically within the span of a week. @-@)

Can't wait to see more! :3

Tsarmina likes this

I love characters way too much ;w; Sometimes I just make characters when I'm bored because they're so fun to create and develop. I just wish Ariel was easier for me, sadness. >.<" I already omitted a few characters because they didn't really seem distinct to me, but arghhhh it made my heart hurt to cut them out. I'm considering combining/omitting Tina and the Mayehawke twins as well, but....I feel like I just can't.....(_A_)" The struggle is real. You guys understand. ^^

Imma definitely keep developing! Just wish I had time for maps. :(

Allusion likes this

I just wanted to throw you my support! Since you started the topic, I've been keeping up with it. Everything looks very promising, like it's going to be one of those epics! I wish you the best and I'll continue to follow your game throughout its development.

Tsarmina likes this

Thanks Ninja ^-^ I'm glad it's considered to have a promising future! Epic is hard to live up to, haha. :) But hey, I'll definitely try. Reminds me that I need to keep working on the art for this game >.< And get a support bar up!

Allusion likes this

Woaaaaaahhhhhhh! *eats an apple while staring at the screenshots* they make my maps look like I am a noob, well I am a noob but that isn't the point, well that is the point but the main point is.....Brillianto with a slice of Molto Bene and that's probably the biggest compliment I can give, like for some reason those screenshots make me hungry. Yumyum in my tumtum! ^~^ I'm so weird xD

Tsarmina likes this

ILY Knighterius ;w; The gratitude is palpable. Can you feel it in the air?? Because I sure can~ :D

Tbh, I haven't been parallaxing very long, and I've only made like 5 of them ;_; Hence the lack of screenshots. The second one IS of a bakery, maybe it's making you hungry for a baguette with butter and a pumpkin spice drink....:)

Knighterius likes this

Did a global moderator by the alias of Tsarmina just say that she loves me? :') Well boil be brown and call me a potato, ILY..with slight modifications...ILYT (I love you too) hehe I can definitely feel it in the air! :D *tries grabbing it* definitely palpable. :D

And just between you and I and whoever reads this....I don't know how to parallax map, I just don't know where to start. :(. Oooo! Well I thought it might have be....that sounds delicious....wow I need to go to France and get the good stuff xD

Oo, and so this doesn't get off topic ^~^ The bakery looks really warm and vibrant 

Tsarmina likes this

You want to be a potato? Nooo....don't lose your apple identity! :) Yayz~

Parallax mapping? Well, I'll drop a hint or two for you  :ph34r:

Thanks about the bakery. I kinda went light-effects-happy, but it turned out nicely. :) 

Also, new screenie for you guys! ^-^

u6PcdFi.png

Feat. Elise~

AlliedG and Allusion like this

Don't you worry! I'll never lose my apple identity! I don't wanna be a potato!! Dx Damn you, you stupid expression! Paint me red sit me in a tree and call me an apple! ^~^

Oooo! Tutorials! gimmie gimmie gimmie!!! Thank you! 

:D I just love how unusual and amazing your artwork is!! Another amazing screenie to add to the bunch! keep up your amazingness!! :D

Tsarmina likes this

I SEE AN APPLE *point* :) Glad to see you're retaining your identity! 

Thanky shanky ^-^ I'll keep working on it! I really hope to make some progress with some images...oooh, I wonder what that could be about..... :ph34r:

Oh wow....they are sensational!!!!! :D ^~^ Tsar, you're a flipping geniusly appletastically apple with a massive slice of molto bene!!! Like wowwoooooO!!!!!! ^~^~^~^~^~^~~^^~^~^~^~^ The first one with the tree and the outside and Ariel I was like HOLY CRUMS OF A BACON PIE THAT'S GOOD!!!!!! ^~^ B-e-aUTIFUL!!! PArallaxing!!!! ^~^ I LOVE IT!!! YE YE YE YE!!!!! ^~^ And are those sprites made by you cause dammnnnnn girl, das gooooooodddddd work!!!!!

Tsarmina likes this