Radiant Arin

Arin's Let's Play/Try Thread

78 posts in this topic

@Aces: Read this below.

Okay, so because I thought it was going for more of a professional feel with the Install Shield Wizard and whatnot when trying to install it (which is a bitch, by the way), I set my expectations much much higher than what I was originally intending. Because of this, I failed to give actual proper feedback and proceeded to be a massive bitch. To which I apologize. However, with some of the design choices I found, it made me incredibly irritated to continue playing the game. Here's some things that I noticed while I was playing.

--NEVER EVER EVER EVER use random movement routes with NPCs inside of houses. It's irritating.

--Battles need to be faster paced. If you're using an ATB, don't give the excuse that it slows the gameplay down so that you can think. Fights need to have a perfect balance between quick thought process but also be quick enough so that your enemies can play the same way.

--Why is the defense mechanic necessary? In my eyes, that screams to me "POWER CREEP" and is a mechanic that if not used correctly or not trained on properly, it could end up being trouble in the long run.

--Try and give your NPCs more life to them. NPCs are a critical role in the world-building of your game. If they're there just meandering around with no purpose, why am I wasting my time trying to talk to all of them?

--Sand as a barricade? Seriously?

--Change your choice of battle music. This isn't anything against you, per se, but your choice of music. McTricky's music already is found in 100000000000 RPG Maker games so at least try and be creative and original in your choice of music. That and the music just doesn't fit in with what you have. If you have a more medieval-ish or high fantasy type of project as opposed to an anime-esque type of game, it would definitely fit in better. If there's one thing I hate more than finding the RTP music in a game, it's finding McTricky music in a game.

--The scene with your mother after getting the painkiller was a bit too slow. You need to either speed that up or fade it out to black to signify to the audience that a significant amount of time has passed.

--Fix all of the spelling and grammar errors in your game. If you're going to be making a commercial-quality game, this is easily going to be the most annoying thing your audience is going to critique on. No one wants to go and proofread through their game, I get it, but you have to especially when you plan on going commercial.

--LET ME SAVE!

Going into this, since this was used by an entirely different portal and everything, I assumed it would actually prove to be a different game. The plot is interesting, as I like dabbling with the "false crime" and "road to redemption" tropes. However, that wasn't the same feeling I got looking at this. All I saw was a bunch of characters mashed up together under one town's roof. Maybe because it's a slow start or something of the like, but the previous cutscene before you actually go to this new town afterwards makes me feel like the two aren't related at all. No mapping errors that I spotted, so that's a plus, just remember not to use random movement for NPCs, because they have the chance to block your way and make everyone's lives miserable. It's a flaw with the engine more than anything, so I'm not trying to be too harsh in that regard. Use something else as a means to say that you can't go here, besides just a pile of sand or rock. It looks unbearably out of place. And for all that is lovely and good in the world, do something about all these freaking locked doors.

Oh yeah, and saving would be nice.

Edited by Tara
Izu. likes this

Welp, the video definitely brought several things to light. Minor text running off windows, a missing portrait, those big yetis, and of course, attacking on the map. That was incomplete anyway, but now we're making it so it can only be used on maps with enemies. Thanks for the video, looking forward to part 2 as that's where the meat of the demo lies and seeing more of what we may be able to fix.

Well, that gave quite a lot to work with. Sorry if you had a bad experience. Though I'd like to comment a few things if you don't mind:

-I'm amazed that the installer gave you the impression that it was going to be a comercial title. The game's non-commercial (freeware). I had to use it because the launcher needs Microsoft .NET Framework to work (and I can't get past it). Sorry if it gave the wrong impression.

-I'll see if I can tweak the build up speed. Though the game pauses the build up when a party member's stamina is filled due to the Active Defense.

-LOL! I did not know that McTricky's music was overused. I'll see if I can find replacement. Though I may have to ask for music composing...

-Whoops. LibreOffice did not warn me about that. It happens (especially when I'm working on my laptop). Hopefully on the final release this won't happen again.

-Huh, that's odd. It's supposed to let you save. Propably a logic error? Try to save again after the cutscene (plays after you give the painkiller to the sister. Select No when it asks you to save(It was going to play the cutscene regarless if you save or not)). I'll check if there's that...

EDIT: Did you accidentaly installed the game on the Program Files folder (or anywhere you don't have access)? The installer alway instals the game on C:\Games\AceOfAces\Immortal Sins folder. If that's the case, you may have to run the game with Administrative Rights. Go to Start Menu -> AceOfAces -> Immortal Sins -> right click Immortal Sins (Directly Launch) -> Open As Administrator.

Thank you for the feedback. And looking forward to the 2nd part (if you decide to continue).

Edited by AceOfAces_Mod

Welp, the video definitely brought several things to light. Minor text running off windows, a missing portrait, those big yetis, and of course, attacking on the map. That was incomplete anyway, but now we're making it so it can only be used on maps with enemies. Thanks for the video, looking forward to part 2 as that's where the meat of the demo lies and seeing more of what we may be able to fix.

Okay, so I ended up recording this tonight, but I lost the audio for my game because my mic was being shit.

The boss fight with the Huge Yeti at the end of the tracks seems unbalanced, given that you don't have an items shop or a recovery point anywhere in the area. My suggestion to you is to either make a save/restore point so that you can keep coming back to there if you ever want to heal up, or to make an item shop that sells basic items that restore HP, MP, etc. I also ended up looking on top for five minutes trying to find something to use that might help me, but I found nothing. So each time I would go to fight the Huge Yeti, I would always be at 75% efficiency. Also, I found an Ice Shield when I was exploring earlier and equipped it onto my character, but it appears that it makes you less resistant to ice attacks instead of more resistant. It infuriated me because I thought it would actually help me with the fight, and instead made it much harder. And seeing as how I already found the fight and tried three times to fight him, recording it again would be kind of pointless and counter-productive.

So my personal recommendation to you is either a shop or a recovery point.

Because I lost the footage for this recording, Immortal Sins (the second run through) is going up in its place.

Edited by Ari-Chan

The boss fight with the Huge Yeti at the end of the tracks seems unbalanced, given that you don't have an items shop or a recovery point anywhere in the area. My suggestion to you is to either make a save/restore point so that you can keep coming back to there if you ever want to heal up, or to make an item shop that sells basic items that restore HP, MP, etc. I also ended up looking on top for five minutes trying to find something to use that might help me, but I found nothing. So each time I would go to fight the Huge Yeti, I would always be at 75% efficiency.

There is a free recovery point, though. Should be a reddish-brown character that offers free massages, and he'll restore everything. He's at the exit of the break room, or the room you get trapped in with the puzzles. It's a dead-end otherwise.

Also, I found an Ice Shield when I was exploring earlier and equipped it onto my character, but it appears that it makes you less resistant to ice attacks instead of more resistant. It infuriated me because I thought it would actually help me with the fight, and instead made it much harder. And seeing as how I already found the fight and tried three times to fight him, recording it again would be kind of pointless and counter-productive.

I checked and it isn't weak against ice. If for some reason it's like that in the demo, I have no clue. If enemies summon icicles that will usually do huge damage anyway since it can be stopped be attacking the icicle with an appropriate element.

You can also recruit Lilah early if you're having trouble, bat enemies drop items that she requests before joining you.

Also I finally got around to updating the main topic. So if you don't want to scroll past 4 pages to find your game, you can check the front page.

Edited by Ari-Chan
Izu. likes this

Added a new stipulation for recording games:

--NO ABSs GAMES. ABSs in RPG Maker are horribly optimized, which makes recording a pain. It's already enough of a struggle to play the game at 2 FPS with your stupid ABS, don't make me record it as well.

Seriel likes this

Neeeeeeewwwwww update!

Edit: Also, I've lifted the stipulations regarding fanmade games and original content. The first one seemed unnecessary and the second one even more so.

Edited by Arin
ShinNessTen likes this

There actually IS one more thing you could do, but you need to get through a Hell Labyrinth first to get to it... The path after Deppbot there is a yellow teleporter... just go there and you see for yourself what awaits you... Maybe you even get a proper ending this time around.

If you decide not to do it... then i THANK you very much for playing my game! :D It was fun watching this and i definitely learned a whole lot.

(Yep... copied that from the youtube comments. I'm just super lazy)

Manifest is the newest LP I'll be doing. Whenever I don't have anything else going on I'll be doing this as a side project. Note that this is going to be a VERY VERY long LP, something akin to a ChuggaConroy LP where I try to get as much done as possible instead of trying to do everything blind.

shadowblack likes this

Regularly scheduled LPs are on hold due to the Indie in a Week contest. They will begin again once I have finished LPing all of the Indie in a Week entries. In the meantime, feel free to leave a comment below if you wish for your game to be LP'ed and when all of the projects are finished I will move on to that.

gunsage likes this