CogentJin

• 13 posts
  • LocationPA, USA
  • RM Skill - Jack of All Trades

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:02 AM

er02Zzp.png

IEl4Hgn.png

(Without Spoilers):
A homeless boy gets told about an island full of free shelter and food. However, when the boy gets helped there he finds it polluted with beasts and dangerous obstacles. By mistake, the boy is looking for a safe hideaway when he stumbles upon a woman's only retreat. There, he meets proficient fighters reluctant to care about outside members of their group but would like information out of him. Tasked with doing the girl's a favor, they promise to help him get off the island if he fulfills his obligation.  Upon doing so, he is granted with an amazing opportunity to become something he never imagined.

(With Spoilers):

Spoiler

mqp2yQD.png

pEapu4G.png

Turbulence - A boy without a home who is in constant search of a place to live or stay for a night. He is not equipped with anything but the smarts he has obtained from being on his own for so long. Through all the adversity, he has remained very upbeat and believes he finally caught a break when he stumbles into Harmony and her friends.  He has no choice but to be game for the most dangerous competition on the planet if he hopes to turn his life around.

MJaUT9k.png

Harmony - An athletic, strong-minded individual who is experienced at surviving. Her focused attitude on Trial Island makes her one of the most sought-after individuals in terms of fame and popularity. Harmony is compelled to be the best and for reasons she won't admit or show; sympathizes with Turbulence's past. She has dug herself into holes before but has enough backbone to pull herself out; a true leader.

mGi9czj.png

Cam - The engineer in the group who is great at solving electrical mysteries. A technician who is very caring and thinks of Harmony as her best friend.  She has a real knack for figuring out gadgets and doesn't really assert her opinion often. She has been in the Trial group now for a long time and constantly supports her friend's decisions; even if she disagrees.  The whiz-kid of rigging that can assist with weaponry and skills.

ltOS6Hr.png

Soria - Another fighter in the group who often bumps heads with others but it is to be expected. Like Harmony, she also never wants to fail; however, she is not willing to always side with the leader of the group when it comes to certain decisions. Dislikes all new comers and even some in the group, she is very interested in taming Trial and showing that she is in control; but still remains behind the orders of Harmony.

OeGPg8y.png

MGEkdqz.jpg

H5S1VaY.png

Oildfef.png

djbYg7m.jpg

n9oGymF.jpg

tDf25hw.jpg

8XFpYTl.jpg

s3ymIUt.jpg

zGvNujx.jpg

UfCEE7l.jpg

Features:
--All maps are parallaxed. I'd like to think I included a lot of detail in each map or tried something different (This is why it is such a large download, I tried to compress it but no-go--Haha).
--Player Events. This is not ground breaking but I think they add to the experience, kind of like quick time events (without the 'time' part).
--Scripted A.I/Custom sprite monsters. Once again, nothing major, but it is scary when a zombie chases you because you crossed in his sight. However, there are usually rewards for those who take the harder path!

--A Skill Tree will assist players to choose how they'd like to level up their characters.

--Multiple hidden items that level up weaponry or new skills.  This makes for a rewarding experience when exploring.

Credits:
For graphics: Enterbrain, Celianna, and Lunaria.  For music: Riptide, Newgrounds, Oddworld, Rayman, Shadowrun, Newgrounds.  For scripts: Atelier RGSS.  Obviously if I am leaving something out, let me know and I will fix/add immediately upon reading the message.

One Last Note:

Thank you all for giving this a try.  I offered this demo to several people before submitting it here to see if any bugs were reported (thanks to those guys).  I'm sure there's some glitches out there when dealing with such a large game but do let me know and I'll fix it immediately.  RTP is not included (sorry).

eRhYnhu.png

https://www.mediafir...bq9sf5n8el2yim3

(V.04) **Fixed multiple grammar errors, multiple game breaking bugs, other minor fixes that help the experience (Thanks Tsarmina).  Fixed music and pathing issues (Thanks Gui and Ocedic).  Changed difficulty to make monsters/obstacles easier.  Fixed collecting sticks in swamp error, sword ship wreck issue, database errors (Thanks When Bugs Roam Ur House).

Edited by CogentJin, 01 January 2015 - 01:58 PM.

The flawed, the guilty, the arrogant, the blasphemers, and the hated are all welcome in UvAX8Mw.png

...Except for the weak.

#2 Knighterius

Knighterius

Possessed Apple

• 891 posts
  • LocationUnderneathe an Apple Tree
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:54 PM

Holy Crap!! I am glad you PM'ed me! This game looks gorgeous! ^~^ Ima play it and let you know my thoughts.

EDIT: OH...god...Dx such...a.big....file.........*starts downloading it* 2...years....later. Dx

EDIT AGAIN: Okay so far this game is fantastic o.o

Edited by Knighterius, 21 December 2014 - 06:19 PM.

"Come, Come, Dance with me under the moonlight, my sweet...dance until our feet bleed..."-The Enigma 

sWeCKF9.png14xl08o.png

I support the following brilliant people:

Spoiler

And the list goes on: 

Spoiler

Alons-y!

Spoiler

Spoiler

Signature%20IC%20Support.gif

#3 Tsarmina

Tsarmina

Resident Redhead ♥

• Global Moderators
  • 6238 posts
  • Location|| Neverland ||

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:43 PM

Yeah same. I met the girls and then went out to explore and died when I was curious enough to go talk to this guy with glowing red eyes who ended up killing me. :( ...Curiousity killed the redhead. I'm scared. XD

The music and graphics are just brilliant, though. I love how you utilised everything!

Current Game:

HIphr1M.pngPU44jON.png

♥ Resource Laboratory ♥ Sugar Sweet kaocoeur87.gif     ♥ Commissions ♥ A Woman in Venice 

^how i'm feeling

79zjX9d.png  RMBIdpX.pngiaODIXz.png bdPIu2t.png

♥iSupport:

Spoiler

#4 LadyMinerva

LadyMinerva

♥The Ghost Princess~♥

• + Sponsor
  • 763 posts
  • LocationHakugyukurou Manor ♥~幻想郷の世界~♥ ♥The Fantasy Duo♥
  • RM Skill - Designer

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:57 PM

This is really groovy my friend~ :3 Whenever I see screenies with visuals and mapping and such, they really make me inspired to do great things for my project... xD Well for now, as much as I like to try it, I'm in the middle of my exam week so I won't have time to try it out sadly, but I will once my exams are done of course~ :D

I like where this is going, your screenies really show that your game is very clean and crisp. but the true test is the demo, I'll let you know in a few ;)

♥-Visit our current Touhou project! Made by LadyMinerva & Kotori-chan!-♥

7PCThlS.pnglWlXJlZ.png7PCThlS.png

♥-Minerva's Mapping Emporium! Coming very later to the forums!-♥

7PCThlS.pngHv5FaeB.png7PCThlS.png

♥♥

ISupport your dreams!~♥

Spoiler

#5 Gui

Gui

Advanced Member

• 188 posts
  • LocationMontpellier (South of France)

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:10 AM

I've given a try to it yesterday, and really liked it. Here are my impressions:

- visually, it's very good : I love in particular the still pic inside the ship with the light beams falling on the wooden ground, and the landscape by the river where Turbulence and Harmony stops by on their way back to the girl's home (you'll have to explain to me how you animated the waterfall and the river btw: animated parallaxes?); the maps look all nice but seem to present a few issues in my opinion: your art lead looks a bit messy, with elements from present day mixed with some steampunk-looking ones, and with people wearing medieval clothes – maybe it'd be welcome to standardize a bit all of this...

- no sound and/or music in the first levels or so: I had to check if my speakers were on because this really bugged me. Dunno if it's a deliberate choice, or if you forgot to put some, or if you plan to do this later, but I think it'd be a good thing to enhance the mood of your game right from the beginning. This is all the more a pity because the rest of the game presents good musical choices in my opinion.

- plenty of puzzles but lack of action: the first fight comes rather late and during a while I thought it was an adventure-puzzle game – I didn't get any more combat after that aswell (I stopped playing when Harmony got back home). Note that I don't have a problem with a no-action game though, I just prefer games which know where they stand – ie: action or not.

- the "stealth" passage when Turbulence has to cross the area full of zombies at night is a bit frustrating because it's hard to figure if the monsters will notice him or not, and the hints on this point come only after the goal is completed, which is "a bit" late IMO.

- I had a bug on this map: when I crossed it back with Harmony and left the map from the exit on the right to go back to her house, I decided to come back to the map to check out what the NPC had to say but once transfered to the map again the game loaded me back to the moment where I accompany the girls to the train station, quite some time before – I had to reload a previous save in order to avoid redoing all the expedition to and from the beach...

- while I'm at it, on the beach, when Turbulence has to explore the wreck, I didn't understand that I should push away the first barrel and ended up having put it against the wall on the left, without being able to access the corner where the sword is located: not a bug strictly speaking but an annoying issue nonetheless because I had to reload a previous save to overcome this part – maybe you could relocate the last barrel, the one nearby this corner, or simply remove it to allow to Turbulence to go to this area of the map even if the first barrel has been pushed against the left wall by mistake.

This is what I can say from my short first session. Despite my critics, I had a really good time: it's an original and surprising game on many aspects, with an unusual setting and very nice visuals, so keep up the good work!  :)

Check out the demo of my game here!

COTCW_sig02a_zpsf21eb3ad.jpg

"I want him in the game until he dies playing" - Master Control Program

Portfolio - My Game's Devblog / FB / Twitter / RMN / IndieDB / Steam Greenlight

#6 CogentJin

CogentJin

• 13 posts
  • LocationPA, USA

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:36 AM

Hey Gui, thanks for trying my game out and I just wanted to address some concerns which is good because other players looking may be wondering the same thing.  First, I'll address the easy ones such as the lack of action and stealth sections. 

If you got to the first fight, then that should be somewhere around the half hour mark of the demo, and the demo is around five hours in length.  So say you're at the 10% mark, somewhere between 25%-80% all it is is action pretty much.  It's just a matter of getting there so no worries, there's plenty of action to come.

As for the stealth section with the zombies, I didn't tell the player their exact secrets and tendencies right off the bat because I wanted the player to experience what Turbulence is doing for the first time; something new.  However, after the very first section is completed, Soria explains how they operate (as you know) and the player now has that knowledge.  Much like the action scenes, there are more scenes than just that one if you progress in the game so it's not like it won't come in handy later, but by then you'll have the knowledge to get by them easily.  It's kind of like a learning experience for the first time and then Turbulence becomes more skilled at avoiding trouble (that's what I was shooting for anyway, maybe it didn't translate well).  Oh, and a quick note; their clothing gets discussed later in the game and why certain people dress how they do.  My advice is to just keep going if you're interested because I did my best to cover all the bases and most of your concerns are answered; there's much more to it than what you've played so far but I really do appreciate your feedback.  I get a huge kick out of this so thank you.

Now for the not so good news, Gui.  The music/sound is a problem because it plays perfectly fine on my end.  So, I transferred it over to my mother's desktop to test it real quick and don't you know there is no music.  So, I re-imported the music again from the database and it seems to be working well so thank you for the heads up.  That is embarrassing because I love the music but at least it should be okay now.

Your pathing bug is fixed along with many others which I will address in the original post.  Even Ocedic found a pathing bug almost immediately which made my jaw hit the floor because I thought I did a decent job connecting them and it makes it look like I don't know what I'm doing--Hahah.  Those are the biggest errors to me so I try to fix them immediately.

I fixed being able to push that barrel over top of where the item is in the wrecked ship just as a precaution, but just to let you know if you leave the boat and come back, all the barrels and boxes move back into default position so you don't have to reload your save (if I'm understanding the problem correctly).

Because I think this is more suited here, I just wanted to say thank you to every single person that has tried this out and I hope you see that I will fix anything if brought to my attention because I want this game to be great.  People have been nice enough to respond to me bugging them and I think the game is much better for it. The fact that people take the time out of their day to try something I made is amazing to me and I truly appreciate it. Sorry for this long comment but I just wanted to make it clear that I love all feedback, positive or negative.

The flawed, the guilty, the arrogant, the blasphemers, and the hated are all welcome in UvAX8Mw.png

...Except for the weak.

#7 When Bugs Roam Ur House

When Bugs Roam Ur House

Pepto-Bismol

• 797 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • RM Skill - Artist

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 29 December 2014 - 03:32 AM

First of all, wow, you do cutscenes extremely well! o_o I also loved the parallaxed/moving backgrounds, the realistic dialogue, the story, the mapping, and all the little sprite animations for so many things. I found many things very creative and well-made. I got stuck after gathering 6 sticks for Harmony, unfortunately, but your game was so interesting. I really liked it a lot and what you have going for it.

Here is any critique or bugs I found for your game:

Spoiler

Your game really was great though and I really liked it. : D The shark puzzle in the water dungeon was just brilliant, and something i never wouldve thought of!

• : D My *updated* tips-to-draw-guys thread! : D 

pn4XHxq.jpg

• Doing free sketches  My Art Thread 

#8 CogentJin

CogentJin

• 13 posts
  • LocationPA, USA

Posted 30 December 2014 - 05:52 PM

Hey When Bugs Roam Ur House, before I address your concerns I want to tell everyone that you’re one of the few people who made it incredibly far before my game broke (lol, it’s been fixed since but sorry about that) and for that I thank you, that’s very cool.

Now, I went through your list and fixed everything I could with the exceptions of how the story plays out in the beginning and the combat because there is some delicate balance there and it’s a bit tougher to address than the other points.  I am happy to say though that I corrected everything else, the healing, the TP-healing items, graphical issues, etc.  You even helped me solve that ship wreck issue where he can pick up multiple swords (long story).

When it comes to the issue with possibly getting poisoned by the spider at the start, I added some chests right at the entrance just in case that happens again.  With the zombies, I actually went back and deleted a few and tried to guide the player a little easier because I don’t want it to be frustrating.  With the “Skill Points” instructional part showing up multiple times, yes ma’am that’s intentional.  You’ll notice that a few other pages show up multiple times as well like Cam’s ability to upgrade and whatnot.  I did that just in case one of them slipped by the player the first time.  So after the first time, a player will never see a “jumping” tutorial again, but perhaps they forgot that they can review all pages by going to the book on his shelf so I have them appear as a refresher (all the important ones).  I hope that makes sense.

With that said, once again I’ve gotten incredible feedback and it’s made my game better.  I truly believe there’s a light to the end of this tunnel because more people are getting through without any major problem which is fantastic.  Thank you all, especially Tsarmina who was very thorough in helping this game be better.

Edited by CogentJin, 30 December 2014 - 08:25 PM.

...Except for the weak.

#9 TheoAllen

TheoAllen

Rusty scripter with a rusty scripting skill

• 1822 posts
  • LocationIndonesia
  • RM Skill - Coder

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:27 PM

Fantastic map at the first sight ...

But where is the battle screen? Is it action? sideview? or frontview?

I haven't tried it yet since I have a slow connection this week. So the download could take time

Btw, it's nice to see a skill tree as a feature since I like to customize my character

Founder of :
Posted Image

Visit also :

| Theolized SBS | Development Journal | DeviantArt | SoundCloud | Free Midis |

Spoiler

I support of these people / projects :
Spoiler
Be careful with the scripters
http://fc05.devianta...len-d7fchsv.jpg

#10 Tsarmina

Tsarmina

Resident Redhead ♥

• Global Moderators
  • 6238 posts
  • Location|| Neverland ||

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:21 PM

Just finished your demo. I had a feeling it would end there :( Your preview of the fifth stage really has me pumped. XD XD XD Nuuuu I wanna keep playingggg~

A few bugs, nothing major. Really excited to see what you come up with next, too.

Spoiler

Trial, even though it's a demo, has to be one of the best games I've ever played. I'm amazed at how much work and love you've poured into the project and it's definitely paying off. :) I feel this project is definitely overlooked by many people because of how softly you present it--it doesn't carry bright colors or especially bright graphics or a fancy super colorful sparkling sound-effect-emitting banner. But this game surely needs to be played ^_^ I love the mapping, the development of the characters, the interaction, the music, the sprite animations, the sound effects--all those little touches that brought this game to life. Overall, it's just beautiful. You really have a knack for this sort of thing. :)

Spoiler

Current Game:

HIphr1M.pngPU44jON.png

♥ Resource Laboratory ♥ Sugar Sweet kaocoeur87.gif     ♥ Commissions ♥ A Woman in Venice 

^how i'm feeling

79zjX9d.png  RMBIdpX.pngiaODIXz.png bdPIu2t.png

♥iSupport:

Spoiler

#11 CogentJin

CogentJin

• 13 posts
  • LocationPA, USA

Posted 01 January 2015 - 12:50 AM

Hey Tsarmina, I certainly appreciate all the kind words you've said and I'm glad you got to finish it.  For those that don't know, she certainly helped me correct a ton of bugs (as you can tell by that list).  A lot of people left me comments, actually, and I think it's made the game so much better.  I hope to continue to improve Trial and I'm glad that as I fix everything, the feedback grows more and more positive.  I feel like as it stands now, I'm very proud of it.  It's not over, obviously, but it's people like you and everyone else that plays that makes me want to make it the best it can be.  Great job finishing the demo, I'm grateful you took the time to do so, and that goes for everyone else who has tried it out.  I love responding to messages and whatnot so if anyone has any questions or requests, do tell.

P.S. Tsarmina - Yes, I hope Scene 5 is more like Scene 3 in terms of trying new things out and whatnot.  I actually have this really great car chase scene in mind that I'd love to make similar to the train but with more action and user input.  I feel like Scene 4 filled in as much back story as I could and it's time to flush out other unfinished details like Harmony's past and new/old characters.  I'll keep you posted.  : )

...Except for the weak.

#12 Nightgazer Starlight

Nightgazer Starlight

Cute Lil Pegasus

• 143 posts
  • LocationUSA In The NE Corner Of Louisiana

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:17 AM

This is cool, a really neat game!^_^

---

Signature

If you are a believer of Jesus Christ, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig!!

- Nightgazer Starlight, Loyal Servant of The Royal Pony Sisters Princess Celestia and Princess Luna... Forever Equestria!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rmvx-ace, the gaming lounge, trial, demo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users