Advanced Member

• + Sponsor
  • 182 posts
  • RM Skill - Jack of All Trades

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:20 AM

Beta 1.3 is ready:

https://github.com/A...e/tree/Beta-1.3

Changes include:

* A lot more custom graphics, including totally new graphics for all the main characters that were using stock assets before.

* All areas of the main landmass (save Garin's Tomb) and the Kol region (save the Tower of Kol and the Sun Shrine between the main and Kol regions) are complete.

* If you complete an optional dungeon, find an item in it, and bring it back to Tera in the castle, you can unlock a class change for Mara. Warning, optional dungeon is long and hard.

* Outside/Return spells are still kinda buggy, avoid using them in unintended situations, as I cannot guarantee against weird game behavior.

* Kol has been fairly well fleshed out for the most part, and I added a few custom events and diary to Roto's house that will update the further along in your quest, so in later builds check up on it from time to time.

* The opening cutscene can be skipped now, see readme for details.

Feel free to visit my alternative to TV Tropes or my blog.

#22 GethN7

GethN7

Advanced Member

• + Sponsor
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:06 PM

A few updates:

* The staircase north of the mages lab in the castle does not go back to the proper location, this is an oversight that will be corrected next build. It is not a required area, so it can be avoided.

* The exit to Kol also has misplaced transfer events, use a Scape Rope or Warp Wing to leave town, this will also be corrected by next build.

* I accidentally uploaded an earlier snapshot of my game before adding the treasure to the Pod Forest map, so it's absent (I use GitHub to keep track of my releases, didn't save my changes properly before release, my apologies, this will be rectified next build. This area was also horribly unbalanced, this will also be fixed next build. The class change is therefore inaccessible as a result, which again will be fixed next build.

I plan to release a bugfix version to obviate the worst errors in 1.30, and I would have done it sooner, but I had my attention consumed entirely by pressing cocnerns on the Orain wikifarm service, where I serve as staff.

It should be ready for release in a day or so.

Edited by GethN7, 17 June 2015 - 09:01 PM.

#23 GethN7

GethN7

Advanced Member

• + Sponsor
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:07 AM

Beta 1.31 is now ready, and is a bugfixed version of Beta 1.30. All game crashing or breaking bugs should be fixed now, as well as the following changes:

* Removed Cutscene Skip. Turns out it was the source of most of the bizarre game breaking bugs for odd reason.

* Modified some weapons like wands to cast whatever spell effect they would have used as an item as their default attack, this done as a compromise between RM VX Ace limitations and since I couldn't get a script to work. For instance, the standard attack of the Wizard Wand is Blaze spell, except it costs no MP to use.

* Boomerangs now hit all enemies when equipped as weapons.

* Fixed some armor bugs, like Magic Hats being registered as shields.

* Added a few small areas, such as a house to Garinheim and the Sun Shrine inbetween the main and Kol landmasses. The Tower of Kol, Hauksness, and Rimuldar landmasses are still devoid of overworld content or events, will have Rimuldar done by next build, along with parts of Hauksness. More "blank spaces" will be filled in in later builds.

* Pod Forest has been rebalanced to be a lot more beatable. It's still hard, don't go in below Level 12, but now beatable. Items intended to be there exist, take it back to Tera for Mara to gain new armor and a class change.

* Sounds have all been reduced to 50% volume due to complaints some were too loud.

You can get the latest beta here:

https://github.com/A.../tree/Beta-1.31

#24 GethN7

GethN7

Advanced Member

• + Sponsor
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:34 PM

I just got some reports that the latest bug fix seems to have smoothed over some of the biggest issues, though thanks to an oversight I introduced a hilarious overpowering of the Mist Staff, which deals out a chance of instant death whenever Mara attacks with it equipped. This will be removed by next release, but you all can consider it a https://allthetropes...ki/Good_Bad_Bug

I also discovered a lot more of the features I intended don't seem to be work, as they will require some custom scripting I don't currently have, so I plan to refactor my current codebase to make certain features work that currently don't partially or at all.

Beta 1.50 will be awhile as a result.

Edited by GethN7, 19 June 2015 - 09:35 PM.

#25 GethN7

GethN7

Advanced Member

• + Sponsor
  • 182 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:38 AM

Beta 1.50 is still in progress, and I just about finished my first task, which has been to totally overhaul the combat engine, as well as fix several features of the interface to be much more user friendly.

To that end, I have done the following:

* Added finer grained combat formulas (luck has a greater effect on certain attacks and defense)

* The battle engine is more icon and pop up based for easier readability.

* The character status menus are far more useful and display much more information.

* Weapons used as items now function identically to the Dragon Quest games.

* Most remaining bugs patched out of the Return/Outside spells and items.

* Multiple rebalancing tweaks, mostly to Mara's survivability.

* Added a shield defense skill, where an equipped shield has a chance of nullifying a set amount of damage, dependent on the shield's quality and character block rate chance.

* Implemented theft mechanics to game, so Mara can now steal items from enemies.

Other tweaks involve filling in a lot more blank areas so there is more game content, and to make my bigger maps much more fun to explore, more content will be added as I continue working on 1.5, including the Rimuldar continent and portions of Hauksness.

#26 GethN7

GethN7

Advanced Member

• + Sponsor
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:46 AM

One of the things I get a lot of reasonably well deserved flack for is my tendency to make large maps that require lots of walking.

I've gotten better, but I still find it easier to go large than small, so I plan on adding a new feature to the 1.5 build from the Persona 3/4 series.

Town fast travel.

Basically, you can zip around to the most common locations in town via a menu, and you can still have feet hit pavement if you want to explore, as I still plan to leave some cool stuff in out of the way places.

This doesn't mean I'll use this as an excuse to go full retard when it comes to making massive town maps, but this should alleviate any issues with those types of maps driving people crazy with all the walking.

#27 Animebryan

Animebryan

Hiatus

• 581 posts
  • LocationMarysville, CA
  • RM Skill - Eventer

Posted 29 June 2015 - 03:02 AM

One of the things I get a lot of reasonably well deserved flack for is my tendency to make large maps that require lots of walking.

I've gotten better, but I still find it easier to go large than small, so I plan on adding a new feature to the 1.5 build from the Persona 3/4 series.

Town fast travel.

Basically, you can zip around to the most common locations in town via a menu, and you can still have feet hit pavement if you want to explore, as I still plan to leave some cool stuff in out of the way places.

This doesn't mean I'll use this as an excuse to go full retard when it comes to making massive town maps, but this should alleviate any issues with those types of maps driving people crazy with all the walking.

Are you allowing dashing on the maps? Because if you are than all that walking shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Damn MV and it's bugs!

#28 GethN7

GethN7

Advanced Member

• + Sponsor
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:51 AM

Town fast travel.

Are you allowing dashing on the maps? Because if you are than all that walking shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Yeah, I do allow dashing, but I still got complaints about how I make maps too big, so this is my concession to those people because I can understand why they might not enjoy walking around a lot (besides, it's also useful for speedrunners, should you wish to play that way).

#29 GethN7

GethN7

Advanced Member

• + Sponsor
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:00 AM

Tests of all existing content are 2/3's complete and I have ironed out all the game breaking bugs, including one I had to remove the stealing ability to fix.

My current battle engine and stealing script worked fine together, but when I added the "use weapons and armor as items when not equipped" script, try to use any weapon or armor with a spell/skill effect will cause the engine to freak out, since it makes the same scene call as the stealing skill, and so I figured it would be fruitless to reconcile the two, hence why I removed the stealing skill for this build, though it may be replaced with another one in later builds.

I also had to redraw a few areas, such as parts of Garinheim and the Tantegel Treasure Keep. The former involved me putting down hedges and a few invisible impassible tiles to fix some issues with tile passibility (you could walk off stairs in place where you'd fall and break your ankle IRL but instead you wind up on solid ground minus the fall), this should avoid any weirdness there. The latter had the first floor redrawn slightly because character sprites were disappearing. I use a technique called parallax mapping for that dungeon (the high up in the clouds background is a parallax layer that gives the illusion of depth and altitude),
and parts of the map were drawn before I added parallaxing so I had to redraw those areas to sidestep the bug (not sure why it happened that way, possible clashing of layers or something), but all I did was basically shrink the floorspace a little.

#30 GethN7

GethN7

Advanced Member

• + Sponsor
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:23 PM

Almost done testing all existing game content, adding a few areas to Kol, a few more minigames (Garinheim now has a small fishing minigame), and most of all, I'm pleased to report that after some more tweaks to battle engine, it's now very faithful to the original Dragon Quest.

What that means is:

* Spamming magic via Mara isn't always going to be an "I win" button.

* Some enemies are quite resistant to magic as well, before magic resistance didn't mean as much. However, this applies to both sides, as Mara is now quite resistant to magic damage.

* Enemy AI is somewhat smarter, meaning they will use support and healing skills more if they have them.

* Difficulty has been tweaked to where enemies will start getting harder around the Kol region.

* I've tweaked the accessory slots to where you have two, and if the player is willing to farm for Small Medals (hint, kill lots of Slimes), the Small Medal shop has a few items that will make your life much easier, see this link for a better idea what I mean:

https://allthetropes...i/Disc_One_Nuke

Still refining and beta testing all existing content before I add more new material, but I'm very pleased to say the new engine is much closer to my original vision. :)

#31 Sughayyer

Sughayyer

My member title is shown beside posts I make

• + Sponsor
  • 798 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:28 PM

There'll be a holiday in my country this week, and I look forward to playing this!

My most recent project:

sfLEpSF.png

Take a look!

I Support these:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

6LOfEM3.png    gs-banner_zpsfc59b073.png  xbanner200x40.png.pagespeed.ic.ACI-2fqC0

bannerfans_9957882.png

#32 GethN7

GethN7

Advanced Member

• + Sponsor
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:21 PM

There'll be a holiday in my country this week, and I look forward to playing this!

It'll take a few more days before I have a closed beta ready (these will be sent out on an individual basis before official releases, PM me if you want to try one out), but I have finished checking all existing content.

A bug where fog effects would persist if you leave the Pod Forest has been fixed by adding sanity checks to the world map to disable all fog scripts, so that way no matter how you leave the Pod Forest (exit/Scape Rope/Outside spell), they won't persist. I also rebalanced and tweaked the Pod Forest so it can be completed much faster (you can skip most of the maze if you pick your route carefully), and it can be speedrun as low as Level 9 with some luck, though Level 10-12 is recommended.

Now to just do one last pass and make sure all existing content works fine, then I'll be fleshing out the Rimuldar continent, and once I fill in a few quests there, I'll have the 1.5 closed beta ready. :)

Also, tip: Thanks to the changes in the game engine, equipping equipment that is ideal for your character's class can have some beneficial effects, especially weapons for Mara.

#33 GethN7

GethN7

Advanced Member

• + Sponsor
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:52 PM

I have released a closed beta of 1.5 to some people who have expressed interest in trying it out.

Anyone else who wishes to do so, please PM me.

#34 GethN7

GethN7

Advanced Member

• + Sponsor
  • 182 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:04 PM

Been getting lots of great feedback on the closed beta, putting the final touches on the finished, official release of 1.5, though I'm still eager to get more reports so I can do further polishing.

#35 Sughayyer

Sughayyer

My member title is shown beside posts I make

• + Sponsor
  • 798 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:15 PM

Be sure to let us know when you put a new one out!

My most recent project:

sfLEpSF.png

Take a look!

I Support these:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

6LOfEM3.png    gs-banner_zpsfc59b073.png  xbanner200x40.png.pagespeed.ic.ACI-2fqC0

bannerfans_9957882.png

#36 Takeo212

Takeo212

Master of Procrastination

• + Sponsor
  • 1493 posts
  • LocationScotland
  • RM Skill - Game Developer

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:17 PM

I've played one of your earlier demo's a week or two ago, and felt some things needed improvement (though, most things were already stated). The hude castle map being one - I got lost trying to get all the rooms and such, and finding certain things. Though, I did like the reward/unlock system thing.

I look forward to playing an updated version however once I get back from holiday.

From what I've read of some update notes, it seems it'll be more enjoyable this time around :)

EDIT

Forgot to mention. I suggest reducing the size of the castle, and adding different floors instead. It makes it easier to track that way~

However, you've made updates since then, so I'll see how it is :D

Edited by Takeo212, 17 July 2015 - 03:53 PM.

#37 GethN7

GethN7

Advanced Member

• + Sponsor
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 01:07 AM

Bad news, everyone, a bizarre regression appeared during my latest test and rendered my class change system useless and prone to crashing the game.

Thankfully, I made backups and plan to retool things, but it will take me a couple more days since I sprinkled a lot of class change centric events through my code and need to rework it.

Good news is that by excising it, I can make the next build much more stable, and I have a few more builds to see if I can't get it working again in the way I planned.

#38 GethN7

GethN7

Advanced Member

• + Sponsor
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:14 AM

I am incredibly pleased to report that my official release is currently in beta testing, and considering how much I reworked the engine and added back so many old features left on the cutting room floor in older builds and even added new ones, I'm considering releasing this beta as 1.55 or 1.6

Numerous bugs since the earliest builds are now gone, many features only half functional in earlier builds are now fully functional, and all game crashing bugs have been stripped out from all earlier builds.

Still in testing, adding polish where needed, but my newly recompiled scripting and event  base looks great. :)

Edited by GethN7, 21 July 2015 - 08:14 AM.

#39 GethN7

GethN7

Advanced Member

• + Sponsor
  • 182 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 04:58 AM

It's time for DQ1 Remake 1.6!

https://github.com/A...e/tree/Beta-1.6

Changes for Dragon Quest 1 Remake 1.6 Beta

* Name is internally "Dragon Quest", not "Dragon Warrior"

* Several broken or missing features excised or only partially implemented are now present.

* Class change system was removed due to overwhelming errors. Code related to it has been left in a dummied out state in the game should I be able to get it working again, so it's not gone forever.

* The battle system has been completely overhauled to have all features save the removed thievery scripting work, and the framerate has been set at 60 FPS due to complaints animations were too slow.

* Have added in an ingame sound test option in the player menu, and the acheivements feature is basic and fully functional.

* Characters faces change depending on how high their HP is, giving another visual indicator of their condition.

* The game font should work out of the box, but if it doesn't, I will include it in a seperate folder for manual installation.

* Depending on the Unicode settings of your computer, some minor graphical errors such as squares appears at the end of popup messages and ellipses turning into boxes may occur, but this should be harmless and not affect gameplay.

* Several plot tweaks have been made to give the player a better idea where to go to proceed on their quest. For instance, Mara and Sara will provide some basic quest information when you first meet them for the first two main quests.

* A few more empty houses have been turned into explorable areas with new content.

* There is a new title theme song: Asu he no Houkou by JAM
Project - Lyrics can be found here - http://www.animelyri...uhenohoukou.htm

** All other tracks in earlier builds are still present and used, this only replaces the title. I have added this for two reasons: Parts of the lyrics have been used as inspiration for later plot developments, and as a means of supporting the fall Kickstarter for the official translations of the Muv-Luv series (this was the theme song of Muv Luv Alternative), for which I am greatly in support of.

* The status menu has been greatly overhauled and provides much more information.

* Numerous text size issues have been fixed from earlier builds.

KNOWN ISSUES

* The Outside scripting has some bugs on the Rimuldar continent, not wanting to work in the Cave of Rimuldar and Rimuldar Tower. I have enabled the spell to work everywhere, so this should solve the issue, though this may result in breaking story events or teleportation to dungeon exit points for other dungeons, will attempt to figure this out in more detail by next build.

#40 GethN7

GethN7

Advanced Member

• + Sponsor
  • 182 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 07:27 PM

Reuploaded original 1.6 to remove a few artifacts from the debug stage.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rpg maker vx ace, demo, the gaming lounge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users