This script allows you to display text (as the Show Text event command) that is stored in external files. It will automatically wrap the text and divide it into as many messages as necessary, saving you the trouble of worrying about it yourself. The external files are extremely easy to configure, and support showing faces as well as all of the usual text codes. Displaying a block of text is as easy as a single-line script call!
- v1.0 (November 30th, 2012) - Initial release.
- v1.1 (December 1st, 2012) - Fixed a bug with Battle Test not loading text.
- v1.2 (December 1st, 2012) - Added nameboxes and the newline tag.
- v1.3 (December 6th, 2012) - Fixed a bug with persistent colors.
- v1.4 (December 6th, 2012) - Added an additional style for names.
- v1.5 (December 7th, 2012) - Added the [FName] tag, made adding tags easier for scripters, fixed a bug with the namebox, added block text call.
- v1.6 (December 10th, 2012) - Added in the ability to alter message window location and background.
- v1.7 (December 11th, 2012) - Added the [get_text] calls and a text code for referencing $game_text
- v1.8 (December 12th, 2012) - Added a fix for the choice window
- v1.9 (June 1st, 2013) - Width calculation is now based solely on the font size of Window_Message, rather than the default size
- v2.0 (June 1st, 2013) - Added scrolling text support
- v2.1 (June 13th, 2013) - Added Unicode support
- v2.2 (June 30th, 2013) - Fixed issue with EOL characters and get_text
- v3.0 (Released May 23rd, 2015) - Small bugfixes, new ways to use block text, and prettier code!
- v3.1 (May 24th, 2015) - Now allows multiple files, as well as subfolders for organization!
- v3.2 (May 26th, 2015) - Allows you to override keys on a file-by-file basis!
- v3.3 (June 30th, 2015) - Allows you to manage choices! Extractor plugin released!
- v3.3.1 (July 5th, 2015) - Minor update to fix the way that \t interacts with escape characters.
- v3.3.2 (July 5th, 2015) - Fix for 3.3.1.
- v3.3.3 (July 5th, 2015) - Final fix for 3.3.1/3.3.2.
- v3.3.4 (July 31st, 2015) - Fix for save error provided by Source.
- Use an organized directory tree of text files to hold all of your game text - your outline can become your game!
- Simple to configure - takes far less time than trying out various combinations of words in order to find the perfect length for a line!
Note on Updating from v3.0 or below to v3.1 or higher
Your Text.txt file will still work, don't worry! Just make sure to move it to a new folder named Text inside of the Data folder. You can divide it up into whatever kind of organization you'd like now!
How to Use
This script is incredibly easy to use. There is little in-script configuration - all you really need to do is format your text file correctly and call the text from events when it is appropriate.
It's right over here on GitHub!
Database - Allows you to store all of your Database text in external files! Instructions are in the Header.
MultiLang - Adds support for multiple languages! Instructions are in the Header.
Extractor - this is a Demiurge plugin rather than an RM script. Put it in your Demiurge plugins directory as a .rb file, run Demiurge, and load it into your game's plugins list. A new option will be added to the Tools menu -- "Extract Text for External Text". If you select this option, you will be able to automatically extract all of your game's text (from the Database, from Events, from Common Events, from Troops, and even from the Vocab module!) into neatly organized text files that are fully compatible with External Text. If you let it extract from events (map, common, and troop), it will automatically replace the Show Text commands with calls to External Text. It will also change Show Choices commands into External Text-style conditional branches. Everything will be done for you! Make sure to back up your Data folder before running this command, just in case. No problems have been discovered, even with large test projects, but you should always be careful.
Credit and Thanks
- Enelvon (author)
- Solistra (tester, giver-of-ideas-for-multiple-faceset-types [without her input, you would just have the [Face] and [DFace] tags. She's the one who convinced me to add in [AFace] and [PFace]. Bow down to her.], catcher of the # class Class commenting error)
- ♥ SOURCE ♥ (sanity checked v3.0, provided fix in v3.3.4)
- ♦SOURCE♦ (lovely banner image)
This script is made available under the terms of the MIT Expat license. View this page for more information.
Edited by Enelvon, 09 August 2015 - 04:39 PM.