14 posts in this topic

Flaming Leaf Games presents:

A Retnuh Productions' production:

A Planarian's Tale

chbypzC.png

Date devolpment started: Thursday, July 16, 2015, 6:22:49 PM

Date game was completed: Thursday, August 6, 2015, 2:33 PM

Abstract:

A Planarian's tale is a turn based role playing video game about a planarian's adventure through a mansion full of ghost. This game was created for the IGMC 2015

Estimated Game time:

2 hours

Story:

A Planarian's Tale is an RPG adventure about Narry, A small, but courageous planarian, that is determined to save his brethren from a mansion full of ghost. This game revolves around completeing floors of the mansion to save other planarians, and to fight ghastly bosses. The mansion has seven floors. The first being the Courtyard, then the Library, and so on, all the way to the Roof, where Narry will battle the king of ghost!

Characters:

Ax King, an ax wielding brute who can use ice and fire powers with his ax. He's the boss of the Courtyard.

lejTGnw.png

Miss Portrait, an evil librarian that can split herself into multiple portraits. She's the boss of the Library

02bjOSK.png

Deadly Dancer, The daughter of Ax King, and Miss Portrait, Deadly Dancer fights with powerful magic dances. She's the boss of the Ballroom

Deadly%20Dancer.png

Chompy, A powerful Ghost Shark with an appetite for flesh! It's boss of Indoor Swimming

EEXfVwC.png

Sandman, The son of Ax King and Miss Portrait, Sandman is a force to be dealt with. To bad all he does is sleep all day He's the boss of the Bedrooms

QNT7PTo.png

Copy Ghost, The Right Hand Man of the Ghost King, Copy Ghost has many unique powers. He's the boss of the Attic

VhZCCG1.png

The Ghost King, A force to be delt with, The Ghost King is a ghost god, and is emmensly evil and powerful. He's the final boss, and boss of the roof.

BRKQBQU.png

Narry the Planarian is the youngest and least experienced of the planarian's, but it is up to him to save his brethren from a mansion full of ghost. He may be scared, but he will do whatever it takes to save his family.

Wz53WgY.png

Credits:

Producer: 

Hunter Hatfield (FLG'sRetnuh)

Creator:
Hunter Hatfield

Story:
Hunter Hatfield

Mapping:
Hunter Hatfield

Engine:
RPG Maker VX Ace

Scripts:
Engine's default Script-RPG Maker VX Ace
Ace Battle Engine-Yanfly
Ace Menu Engine-Yanfly
Ace Item Menu-Yanfly
Ace Message system-Yanfly
Enemy HP Bars-Yanfly
Simple Side Battle System-Reedo
Awesome Light Effects-Khas Archthunder
Simple Splash Screen-Dekita
F12 Reset Fix-Acezon

Script Request:
Null Damage State-Selchar

Spriting:
Map tiles, Dragon, Flames-RPG Maker VX Ace
Most Other Sprites-Hunter Hatfield
Planarian Menu Windows-LordSquirrel

Playtesting:
Hunter Hatfield
Vectra
Jackus

And a big thanks to RPG Maker, and 
the RPG Maker VX Ace Community!

Screenshots:
aYsjGpY.png

sdxsfQH.png

un75XMa.png

S7xXlfN.png

XLZcOjk.png

MWbbmYF.png

mky1KQ5.png

Features:

This game includes 2D RPG combat, a swimming ability, a fascinating and entertaining story, and wonderful lighting effects. 

Download:

(OLD DOWNLOAD)-------------Click here to download!

(VERSION 1.1)------------------Click here to download!

Known Issues:

Minor Grammar errors

Edited by Retnuh

If anyone would like to report bugs, or share feedback on the game, I'll always be here ready to respond.

Edited by Retnuh

I'm such a terrible person ~ I've promised, that I'll play this months ago ~ I'll get to this today or tomorrow or else ~ stuff will explode.

I Pinkie promise you this! Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye! =3

Retnuh likes this

I've only played a little so far, but I do find it kinda charming. I've only taken a break due to a severe migraine (from before playing haha)

My notes so far are;

* All the campfires flicker for a split second due to not having a direction fix set.
* Way to many health potions are at the start. I like having potions, but constant chest opening to get the same item was tedious, as well as given alot of health restores makes the battle mechanics seem unbalanced, and giving alot of potions seems like a cheap way to deal with it.
* Green ghosts are player touch, no event touch. I sat with a green ghost trying to "catch me" but he kept moving around me instead. All others are event touch, so I'm not sure if this was intentional.
* To many red ghosts, especially when you go west from the first river-y room. They trap you so you have to fight them, but they make you heal every 3 turns (one turn is you using a potion) and I think there was roughly 5 in that one room. I don't mind a fight - but they might need either, their attack lowered (so you can fight more without healing constantly) or fewer of them. Hard enemies are good, but not in a large bulk.
* Continuing from that room, when you go back into the river-y room, a red ghost instantly jumps you pretty much. I found this irritating since I was trying to explore and the quick-to-battle when I enter the room was frustrating. Maybe move him up a few tiles.

That's all I have so far.
My main irritation with the battle so far is using the "exorcism" skill every battle. It takes up a turn and deals no damage, and especially fighting the red ghosts, it gives the enemy a free hit essentially.
Plus, having 900MP and each exorcism costing 100MP each means I only get 9 battles before having to restore. Considering the amount of enemies around the maps, this runs out pretty fast and enemies respawn when leaving map so running to your friend doesn't help much.
Retnuh likes this

I've only played a little so far, but I do find it kinda charming. I've only taken a break due to a severe migraine (from before playing haha)

My notes so far are;

* All the campfires flicker for a split second due to not having a direction fix set.
* Way to many health potions are at the start. I like having potions, but constant chest opening to get the same item was tedious, as well as given alot of health restores makes the battle mechanics seem unbalanced, and giving alot of potions seems like a cheap way to deal with it.
* Green ghosts are player touch, no event touch. I sat with a green ghost trying to "catch me" but he kept moving around me instead. All others are event touch, so I'm not sure if this was intentional.
* To many red ghosts, especially when you go west from the first river-y room. They trap you so you have to fight them, but they make you heal every 3 turns (one turn is you using a potion) and I think there was roughly 5 in that one room. I don't mind a fight - but they might need either, their attack lowered (so you can fight more without healing constantly) or fewer of them. Hard enemies are good, but not in a large bulk.
* Continuing from that room, when you go back into the river-y room, a red ghost instantly jumps you pretty much. I found this irritating since I was trying to explore and the quick-to-battle when I enter the room was frustrating. Maybe move him up a few tiles.

That's all I have so far.
My main irritation with the battle so far is using the "exorcism" skill every battle. It takes up a turn and deals no damage, and especially fighting the red ghosts, it gives the enemy a free hit essentially.
Plus, having 900MP and each exorcism costing 100MP each means I only get 9 battles before having to restore. Considering the amount of enemies around the maps, this runs out pretty fast and enemies respawn when leaving map so running to your friend doesn't help much.

Thanks for the feedback. It is always good to receive constructive criticism. The game was sort of rushed, and made in a month. If I ever get around to It, I might make a remake/major update where I fix some of the game's flaws, ect.

I'm such a terrible person ~ I've promised, that I'll play this months ago ~ I'll get to this today or tomorrow or else ~ stuff will explode.

I Pinkie promise you this! Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye! =3

It's alright Riki, I understand your pretty busy. I'm just glad your going to play my game at all!

Rikifive likes this

Okay, as Pinkie promised I finally gave it a try!

Game is simple and fun ~ I liked it.

However, there are things that don't work very well.

> Exorcism thingie - this basically prevents you from grinding, but not only that - it also can get you stuck, because most of the time there's absolutely no way to avoid battles and if you happen to be out of MP potions then you'll simply get stuck forever. Not mentioning, that you're simply losing one turn each battle. This definitely needs more balancing like making battles at least avoidable.

> and the unavoidable battles themselves - I got stuck on the second floor (library), because I was out of HP potions. I've got into the end of the room and now I'm trapped by ~10 ghosts that there's no way to beat them. Each battle takes ~50% of your health, which means using HP potion after each battle. I've got around 15 HP potions in total I think, so it was enough to get to the end of the room, but not enough to get back. I literally got stuck and realized, that there's no point in trying. Sorry for asking, but was that game tested? =P

Unless there is a shop that I don't know about - that would solve everything! =P

> Like Takeo noted - fires needs some tweaking~

> Immortal Potion was supposed to last 5 turns - it wears off after one.

The rest was okay I think, nothing major.

The plot is simple and nice ~ and again I wasn't able to see the ending. =/

I got stuck and I really can't beat the game, unless I'd be grinding for hours for HP potions, but that would be ridiculous. =P (Give mah cheats! xD)

The game definitely needs more balancing, because it's just not beatable at the moment. (without spending many hours on grinding)

Also a nice touch are your original characters - if the environment would be in the same style, then I'd love that, because RTP kinda clashes with these characters and I simply like unique content. ^^

Other than that - Good work! ^^

Can't say much, because I haven't completed the game. =/

WtvmtpT.png

But don't get me wrong! I want to beat it, since you got me interested and I want to see the ending~ so notify me when you'll update it! =3

Retnuh likes this

Thanks for the feedback Riki! I actually had a shop system planned, but I forgot to include it. I'll put it in an update!

I'm working on version 1.1 and fixing most eventing and balancing errors. Might even be done today. As far as graphics, ect., I plan on re-releasing this game on steam in a few years, with a new tileset, and improved features.

Rikifive likes this

No need to rush ~ take your time. ~Once it will be done, I'll start the game from the beginning. ^^

That would be nice ~ even silly, but original graphics get my respect, because that shows, that the developers have put effort and love into it. =3

Retnuh likes this

To be fair, I do enjoy the game. The story really got me curious and the swimming animation looks cute.

A few tweaks to the battle and a gradual modification to the tiles to match the same style of sprites would look really nice.

You already have your game made - just tweaking it now is the easy part :P

Rikifive and Retnuh like this

No need to rush ~ take your time. ~Once it will be done, I'll start the game from the beginning. ^^

That would be nice ~ even silly, but original graphics get my respect, because that shows, that the developers have put effort and love into it. =3

To be fair, I do enjoy the game. The story really got me curious and the swimming animation looks cute.

A few tweaks to the battle and a gradual modification to the tiles to match the same style of sprites would look really nice.

You already have your game made - just tweaking it now is the easy part :P

Versions 1.1 is out!  (thought i'd notify you guys by quoting)

Includes:

grammar fixes

bug fixes

new items

new potions

new voice clips

various nerfs and buffs

ect.

As to address some specific changes: Most enemies in the game are now avoidable, spare about 4 ghost in the library. The exorcism feature is still the same, but now there is a shop and the player has more mp, so running out is never really a problem. Growth rate is also increased, so most encounters are less difficult. And remember, you can also run from battle in almost every fight.

Edited by Retnuh
Rikifive and Takeo212 like this

Oooh, I'll give it ago later today (conveniently, you update on my only day off xD)

Look forward to trying out again ^^

Retnuh likes this

Finally managed to see the ending!

Well, we talked about stuff on chat, so saying that again will be kinda weird. ~

Generally I really liked your game ~ it was simple and fun.

Game for sure still needs more balancing, because if you're unlucky enough, you can get killed even before having an opportunity to do something ~ Immortal potions were definitely OP as the final boss couldn't deal any damage to me.

I really enjoyed discovering stuff and going through this though ~ only if the tiles also were custom ~ made by you, then it would be really great. =3

The final battle was absolutely great ~

Great work! =3

Retnuh likes this

Umm, I got bored today so... yea...

deadlydancer_by_takeo212-da3it8f.png

deadlydancer2_by_takeo212-da3it7p.png

I drew this all with mouse... Hand is sore xD

Edited by Takeo212
Retnuh and Rikifive like this

Umm, I got bored today so... yea...

deadlydancer_by_takeo212-da3it8f.png

deadlydancer2_by_takeo212-da3it7p.png

I drew this all with mouse... Hand is sore xD

( ゚o゚) Wow, this is awesome. Nice artwork! I guess i can now put in my personal achievements that my game now officially has fan art xD