• Announcements

• RagingHobo

Forum Upgraded!   07/17/2017

We have successfully upgraded our forum to the latest version! Some things have moved around but don't worry everything is still there, we still need to find updated versions of the plugins we were using previously to restore everything to the way it was. There will be a running topic in the Feedback and Support in case you notice something wrong. Before you do so please clear your browser cache and close your browser completely to rule out a caching issue. Thank you for your patience during the outage and while we get everything back to 150%  
Fomar0153

Basic Side View Battle System

45 posts in this topic

Let me begin by saying this really is basic, let me give you a screenshot of how basic this is:

Side View Battle System.png

Completely no frills, could be a basis for an animated side view battle system that I am not likely to be writing.

Basic Side View Battle Script

Instructions are in the script.

Example battlers:

Eric_battler.pngNatalie_battler.pngErnest_battler.pngTerence_battler.png

=begin
Basic Side View Battle Script
by Fomar0153
Version 1.0
----------------------
Notes
----------------------
No requirements
Displays battlers for the player's party.
----------------------
Instructions
----------------------
You will need to import battlers for the party to use
they should be named like this:
name_battler
e.g.
Ralph_battler
----------------------
Known bugs
----------------------
None
=end
class Game_Actor < Game_Battler
 #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 # â— New Method battler_name
 def battler_name
   return actor.name + "_battler"
 end
 # â— Rewrites use_sprite?
 def use_sprite?
   return true
 end
 # â— New Method screen_x
 def screen_x
   return 450
 end
 # â— New Method screen_y
 def screen_y
   return 120 + self.index * 40
 end
 # â— New Method screen_z
 def screen_z
   return 100
 end
end

class Spriteset_Battle
 # â— Rewrites create_actors
 def create_actors
   @actor_sprites = $game_party.battle_members.reverse.collect do |actor|
     Sprite_Battler.new(@viewport1, actor)
   end
 end
end

Planned Future Development

-May need updating when RPG Maker VXA is released in English.

-Animated sprites e.g. walk forward when it's their turn (though certainly not until Ace is released in english)

-Flying enemies hover up and down.

Very neat. It's simple but very effective. I think I'm going to use this in my project with the battler images being the characters faces. Thankfully the coordinates are simple enough to adjust.

A quick hint: The default "attack" skill doesn't give an animation when an enemy uses it, since monsters don't have attack animations by default. However, you can copy this skill and paste it into another database slot (by default the first and second skills are reserved for when actors use normal attacks and defend, so don't remove those). You can then change the skill's animation from "Normal Attack" to anything you want, and then give the monster that skill for their normal attack instead of the default. By doing this, animations will display on your actors when they're attacked (this already happens normally for everything else), and enemies can have their own attack animations (rats bite, soldiers slash with their sword, etc).

Edited by Lunar Dreams
Fomar0153 likes this

As I can insert this script ace rpg vx trial?

Yes I'm writing my scripts in PRG Maker VX and then using a batch file to copy and rename the scripts file. Just copy a VXA script file into VX and change the extension. Then edit the scripts from VX and when you're done copy the script file back.

Very nice ... looks so simple!

Thanks, VXA had most of the support for battlers for the party already written it only needed a few tweaks.

Very neat. It's simple but very effective. I think I'm going to use this in my project with the battler images being the characters faces. Thankfully the coordinates are simple enough to adjust.

A quick hint: The default "attack" skill doesn't give an animation when an enemy uses it, since monsters don't have attack animations by default. However, you can copy this skill and paste it into another database slot (by default the first and second skills are reserved for when actors use normal attacks and defend, so don't remove those). You can then change the skill's animation from "Normal Attack" to anything you want, and then give the monster that skill for their normal attack instead of the default. By doing this, animations will display on your actors when they're attacked (this already happens normally for everything else), and enemies can have their own attack animations (rats bite, soldiers slash with their sword, etc).

I'd completely missed that, I wrote this script in the same project as my blue mage script which meant the enemies only did blue magic spells. I like your solution by the way. Being as you're using faces are you moving them to create a front view battle system?

@Fomar0153: Basically, yes, I'm moving the battler images so they they're placed on top of a "false" window to create a front-view system where the battle animations play over the faces. I guess you could say it would be sort of like how XP's battle system was. This video is of a Super Famicom RPG based of the anime "The Slayers," to give you an example of what I'm envisioning for my project. It already looks enough like it was made in RMVX Ace.... over a decade earlier. I'm actually working on a damage popup script... and failing miserably at the moment.

Fomar0153 , you have this script for XP ? thanks

Hi there, I did a version of this for VX and it took me 47 seconds from start to finish to make this for XP.

class Game_Actor < Game_Battler
 # * Get Battle Screen X-Coordinate
 def screen_x
   return 500 + self.index * 20
 end
 # * Get Battle Screen Y-Coordinate
 def screen_y
   return 200 + 60 * self.index
 end
end

Play around with the numbers until you're happy.

There is a problem with this script. I imported a battler and named it currectly and it says it can't find it when I enter battle. Please help, I checked and it was spelled currectly and nothing was misspelled at all.

EDIT: Thought maybe I should post a demo of the problem:

REMOVED

You'll notice when you enter battle it says unable to find Alya_battler even though the file is there in the battler folder ansd spelled currectly.

EDIT: Never mind stupid me had a space after her name in the data base not sure why on Earth it mattered.

Edited by RoseGuardian

There is a problem with this script. I imported a battler and named it currectly and it says it can't find it when I enter battle. Please help, I checked and it was spelled currectly and nothing was misspelled at all.

EDIT: Thought maybe I should post a demo of the problem:

REMOVED

You'll notice when you enter battle it says unable to find Alya_battler even though the file is there in the battler folder ansd spelled currectly.

EDIT: Never mind stupid me had a space after her name in the data base not sure why on Earth it mattered.

Because it was looking for "Alya _battler" with the space. But I'm glad you sorted your problem.

How come my battler doesn't show up o.o I didn't change anything , do I need to do something with the script?

Edited by Akura

Nice script :)

How about add when the character using skill, the sprite move forward and

cast the skill with animation skill first ;)

I'm not good with script :wacko:

This is a basic side view battle system. This is to provide basic battlers for characters and nothing more. If you wish I have an animated sideview battle system or there's Jet's battle system which provides animated sprite support.

I have figured out how to insert scripts but is their a side view battle system script for vx ace that I can use?

There are topics with lists of all the scripts, you could look there. I have two sideview scripts, one animated and one non-animated, both on my blog.

I found your script for the basic side view battle system, but how do I import the battlers? I want to choose an actor but I don't' know how to choose a single character, not all of them on the list. Any help?

I found your script for the basic side view battle system, but how do I import the battlers? I want to choose an actor but I don't' know how to choose a single character, not all of them on the list. Any help?

You have to cut the desired character out of the set with a external program (like photoshop or something). Then you save it and import it as a battler.