30 posts in this topic

CHAIN REACTION

BETA 1.3 VERSION

<<< INTRODUCTION >>>
Explode near other blocks to break them into particles, that can break other blocks creating a chain reaction!
The
longer the chain will be, the higher the score multiplier.
Get as much points as you can and share your scores with everybody!

<<< FEATURES >>>
> Unique gameplay! (as for RM)
> Custom fresh-looking menus!
> Simple mechanics

> RAINBOWS! ~ Colorful Flashes and stuff ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

<<< SCREENSHOTS >>>

< MAIN MENU >
KEATqua.png

< OPTIONS MENU >
PiS87bo.png

<<< LEVEL SELECT MENU >>>
vzfaOJs.png

<<< DETAILS & INSTRUCTIONS >>>
bLi6lzG.png

< GAMEPLAY >
X3usB2r.png

<<< PAUSE MENU >>>
h7oakv1.png

<<< RESULTS! >>>
xeWfj4C.png

<<< CHARACTERS >>>

Green Orb - An orb that can explode. A hero that guards the Lands of Gray Background

Blue Blocks - They're invading the Lands of Gray Background. There are lots of them!

<<< CREDITS >>>
- Created using RPG Maker VX Ace -

Created by: Rikifive
Scripting: Rikifive
  '-> 'Text Cache' by Mithran
  '-> Developer Tool: "Data Backup" by Hime

Graphics: Rikifive

Music: Rissquette
           EliteFerrex

Sound Effects: Rikifive
                        Enterbrain

<<< DOWNLOAD >>>
â–º Download Chain Reaction BETA 1.3

<<< OTHER INFORMATION >>>
[ Arrow ] keys to move
[ Z ] or [ SPACE ] to 'blow' yourself
- [ X ] or [ ESC ] to pause
[TIP] You can move around while falling down when re-spawning to avoid falling on a block and instantly dying
- At the current stage there are not many features, however I plan to add more energy to it ~ bosses ~ bonuses ~ levels with different mechanics etc..

<<< HIGH SCORES >>>

< 00. BETA LEVEL >

PLACE |            NAME              |       SCORE       | MAX CHAIN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st   | Tarq                            |       549504       |         115

2nd  | Rezanta                      |       470992       |         117

3rd   | Jackus ♪                     |       448219       |         130 

4th  | -----                             |                 0       |            0 

5th  | -----                             |                 0       |            0 

Edited by Rikifive
Crescent, Rezanta, Thaletos and 1 other like this

<<< UPDATE >>>

Game has been updated to version BETA 1.1.

< Changelog >

- Added Main Menu - because I don't like 'menu-less' games, that are just throwing the gameplay at you ~ I've decided to make one. =3

sXEoxSl.png

- Added Version Number in the Title Screen - formalities / it will come in handy

- Fixed Layering Error - player's orb is now 'above' the blocks when spawning ~ there are still some little issues to fix (like hitboxes)

Crescent and Thaletos like this

I am playing it right now, it's fun ~ But I get bored of it quickly, since you have to repeat the same thing again and again, but I like the idea! Adding more features will make it more fun! ^^

Keep up the good work! =3 ^^

Thaletos and Rikifive like this

I agree with Crescent. I don't know how much closed you have the game idea but I have a suggestion.

Have you thought of making it so that not all the blocks spread particles in all directions? You could indicate the directions the particles will spread to by drawing little arrows on each block. This way the player will need to think more before exploding.

Crescent, Rikifive and Tarq like this

Yeah, I agree with both of you ~ There's not much to do in the game at the moment. =P

@Crescent I hope so! :D

@Thaletos I plan to make various levels with various mechanics, so there will be always something new from level to level ~ so generally nearly everything can be done.
Hmm ~ but when there will be many blocks all over the place randomly spawned, then the player will don't have much control there, but the idea is pretty nice, so I'll consider this and try to make it 'balanced' - - - *gasp* I could make a puzzle-type level, where you'd have to find out which block to destroy in order to break them all by looking on their arrows and such. ~ I'll try few things here and there ~ thanks for suggestion. ^^

I also plan to make blocks with 'delay', that once triggered ~ they'll explode after a while allowing further chain if done in a proper moment.

Thanks for your comments! =3

In the meanwhile ~
<<< UPDATE >>>
Game has been updated to version BETA 1.2.

< Changelog >
Added possibility to play in windowed mode - this mode is now selected by default
Added Options Menu - added an option to switch between display modes
cGKsK9r.png
EfHCAtA.png

~ It was fun writing the code and stuff :D

Thaletos and Crescent like this

This looks like one of those arcade games where I'll disappear for two days straight cause I'm trying to get the highest score XD.

On the note of high scores, will you be able to see other player's high scores, or are the high scores localized to the client app?  I'm not actually sure how the former would be implemented from a technical standpoint.

If not, I'd totally be down for making a high scores thread for this game :D

Rikifive and Crescent like this

@Crescent I know, right? :D

~ In all seriousness I was receiving many (3) negative comments regarding the forcing fullscreen mode, so I've decided to add that option as soon as possible. =P

@ECG Wolf YAY! :D

Sadly, I think not. From what I know, anything related to internet connection is quite difficult or even impossible to implement with Ruby. What I can do though, is to host a list of highscores here on the thread if players would like to ~ I'm not sure how exactly that would work, but I guess I'd be updating the list when players would send me screenshots with scores ~

Thank you for comments! :D

Crescent likes this

Sadly, I think not. From what I know, anything related to internet connection is quite difficult or even impossible to implement with Ruby. 

Let's be honest it's quite difficult with every language 

Let's be honest it's quite difficult with every language

Even better.

In the meanwhile~

<<< UPDATE >>>

Game has been updated to version BETA 1.3.

< Changelog >

< Menus >

- Added Level Select Menu - Now levels have their space prepared =3

vzfaOJs.png

- Added Level Details - clicking [sHIFT] button in the Level Select Menu will show more information about the level & gameplay.

bLi6lzG.png

~Silly, I know. ( Í¡áµ” ͜ʖ Í¡áµ” )

< Gameplay >

- Added Pause Menu - You can now pause the game and even 'Rage Quit' from there!

'-> there is a slight delay between being able to pause after unpausing the game to prevent the player from spamming with it to simulate the 'slow-motion' thus making the gameplay slightly easier

h7oakv1.png

- Added Results Screen - Instead of silly 'Game Over' there is a nicely made results screen and additional score bonuses, that are coming with it.

'-> You can press and hold [Z] button to hasten it.

xeWfj4C.png

- Improved Hitbox Detection - Player's Orb, blocks and particles have more accurate hitbox.

- Added Max Chain Count - It shows the longest chain of the current try.

'-> the longer the max chain will be, the higher score multiplier bonus in the results will be.

- Added High Scores and Max Chains - they're displayed on the Level Select Screen.

- Added Autosave Feature - Your scores are saved after each round ~ when getting to the Title Screen.

- Added Flashing when breaking blocks - When a block is destroyed, a simple light white flash will happen

- Increased Time available on the 'Beta Level' from 150 to 180

- Slightly lowered the speed of the block particles

- Slightly lowered the distance, that the block particles can travel

Crescent, Rezanta and Thaletos like this

I wonder if you could post this game through Kongregate. I've heard a couple games from RPG based makers made it on there. Otherwise, for some reason, my pc won't let me work with .rar... *continues to try and play Chain Reaction*

Rikifive likes this

I wonder if you could post this game through Kongregate. I've heard a couple games from RPG based makers made it on there. Otherwise, for some reason, my pc won't let me work with .rar... *continues to try and play Chain Reaction*

Have you tried downloading 7-Zip?  It's an open source archiver that can unpack .rar files if I'm not mistaken.

@Rezanta  Hmmm ~ To be honest I have no idea. ~ It's an unusual issue or just lack of Winrar/7-zip etc.? =P ~ If there are issues, then I can post the default RM's compressed version.

@Rezanta  Hmmm ~ To be honest I have no idea. ~ It's an unusual issue or just lack of Winrar/7-zip etc.? =P ~ If there are issues, then I can post the default RM's compressed version.

Twas my computer being retarded via Norton scans. Anyway, I got to actually enjoy the clash of music, along with a second favorite genre of games I like. Also, why not have a top 20 scores somewhere on the forums? :3

Edit: First, I'll place a screenie to support this game. (As I really need to start being supportive o.o) Second, a few ideas slid into my mind. Maybe different terrains, like ice or lava? Possibly event a "story" mode where we can upgrade things? There's more, but they revolve around how you plan for this game to work.

JAwFl9Y.png

Edited by Rezanta
Rikifive likes this

To be honest I plan to store highscores here on this thread, but I'm not going to lie - it's absolutely easy to edit the image to cheat with scores due to clean-looking font ~ so I'll be implementing an encrypted version of scores, that will maybe not prevent, but at least make it quite harder, thus risky*.

* - If somebody would fail with cheating, then I'd erase all the cheater's scores and never put him again on the list. ^^

But for now, I can store the scores as they are now ~ as a developer, I can more or less calculate if it is possible to have a certain amount of score by comparing it to the others stats.

I'll put your score on the high scores. =3

Thanks for your support! =3 ~ And I should definitely play more games made by the community, but I don't have time so badly in both, RL duties and free time (lots of work on project(s)) ~ I feel so bad about this. =/

What exactly do you mean by these terrains? ~ I mean do you have any certain features in mind?

The story mode actually will exist - it will be under 'Arcade Mode'. As for upgrades ~ That's what I wanted to implement from the very beginning - upgrades like 'Player's Nova Size' or 'Block Particles Duration' etc ~ but I need to get to it pretty cautious, because for example increased Block Particles Duration could result in having unlimited chains (So much score! :D) - I've tested that. =P

I plan to implement various levels with different mechanics, so I'm limited only to creativity, Ruby knowledge and RM's limits. ^^

Crescent and Rezanta like this

Chain Reaction? More like lag reaction in some places (only when I get a huge chain) :3

That aside, it's a great game and the music is even greater!
I just finished my first go and I think i'll do it again.

Try #1:

oGVRbc6.png

Playing again...

Much less lag this time.

But it went off the scores when I pressed space in this post :/

I'll just.. try again ;3

Did bad this time. Got killed too much trying to set up chains.

Mv5a5U5.png

One more go! :D

Mmph, I got more on the go I didn't save.

cL7wu1O.png

Rikifive likes this

That's a lag reaction indeed. ^^

I think it would be possible to improve the performance a little ~ because I've used silly and lazy methods for some stuff ~ though I wouldn't be expecting great boosts there. =P

I've added your highest score and highest max chain to high score table for lolz. ^^

Thank you for playing! (=

Seriel likes this

That's a lag reaction indeed. ^^

I think it would be possible to improve the performance a little ~ because I've used silly and lazy methods for some stuff ~ though I wouldn't be expecting great boosts there. =P

I've added your highest score and highest max chain to high score table for lolz. ^^

Thank you for playing! (=

Heh, improving performance would be good.

I actually got a higher score on the run I didn't screenshot :\

Is it possible to extract the high score somehow? :3

Rikifive likes this

Perhaps I'll get to this someday ~ I'm having too many projects. :D

It should be visible on level select screen ~ highest score and max chain is displayed below stage's image.

vzfaOJs.png

Perhaps I'll get to this someday ~ I'm having too many projects. :D

It should be visible on level select screen ~ highest score and max chain is displayed below stage's image.

vzfaOJs.png

Oh my, it is as well!

Well, you can update my high score with the missing run I did awesome on.

T73SJus.png

Rezanta and Rikifive like this