lianderson

Advanced Member

• 117 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 02 May 2016 - 02:37 PM

Available now for $12

Itch.Io:https://lianderson.i...io/wooden-ocean

Gamejolt: https://gamejolt.com...denocean/259340

The Wooden Ocean is a full length RPG inspired by games such as Dark Souls and Dragon Warrior. It is set at the physical edge of the World where no sunlight ever reaches. You are on a simple quest to find your brother. Nothing more, nothing less. Combat, customization, and exploration are the heart and soul of this game. Everything else is secondary.

Features:

Spoiler

Story:

Spoiler

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Tactics:

Spoiler

Credits:

Spoiler

Patch Notes:

Spoiler

Edited by lianderson, 10 June 2017 - 07:22 PM.

#2 BlackLiquidSrw

BlackLiquidSrw

Prinny

• 61 posts
  • RM Skill - Jack of All Trades

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:32 PM

I'll certainly take a look

*EDIT*

There is no sound whatsoever. My volume is working and the master volume was at 100%

Also, how do you save?

Edited by BlackLiquidSrw, 14 June 2016 - 04:57 PM.

sig_by_snowpicker-d88khpy.png

An internet themed RPG with 15 unique classes!

Demo available

updates_by_snowpicker-d88s6mh.png

#3 lianderson

lianderson

Advanced Member

• 117 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:06 PM

You save at the purple crystal ball things. As for the sound, that one´s new... hmmmmmm... might have to restart your computer.

Edited by lianderson, 14 June 2016 - 05:06 PM.

#4 BlackLiquidSrw

BlackLiquidSrw

Prinny

• 61 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:21 PM

Ok, turns out that my global rpg maker sound was muted, problem solved.

I am enjoying it so far.

-Element selection would probably work better as a highlight menu like the difficulty.

-Humor's good, if a bit too obvious.

-Combat feels nice but you should probably find a better battle theme, the current one really doesn't fit the mood.

-Lighting could maybe be a bit less dark. It would help if you had a lantern or something like that.

-The puppet's cast one spell and then try to fight with no mana. I would suggest giving them a way to drain mana or more all together.

Demo available

#5 lianderson

lianderson

Advanced Member

• 117 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:07 PM

Thanks for playing and I´m glad you resolved the sound thing. (I had a slight heart attack tbh)

You got some good points, like the puppets needing more mana and the humor being too obvious at times. (the game originally had no towns, NPCs, or any dialogue for at least a year. It was strictly a dungeon crawler. But one day, I sat down, did a town, and somehow created a story)

One point that stuck out for me was the element selection screen... that would be a good idea actually. Especially since it´s so early in the game. Should give me something to think about as I do my night shift tonight. I remember someone suggesting that over a year ago. (same with the battle music, which has been changed)

#6 BlackLiquidSrw

BlackLiquidSrw

Prinny

• 61 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:01 AM

Can we have some kind of thing whether it be a manual or in game list that tells us what the status effects do? There's a lot to keep track of.

Also, when you try to exit the map, it just keeps bringing you back to the menu again.

Edited by BlackLiquidSrw, 16 June 2016 - 10:22 AM.

Demo available

#7 lianderson

lianderson

Advanced Member

• 117 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:27 PM

The newest one has over 50 bug fixes, 25% more story, enemies and places to go, as well as more spells and about 100 more weapons and armor. A lot has been done in this last month and I apologize for the free/buggy version of the game here. (that map bug was an absolute nightmare to fix. Hands down the strangest bug I´ve ever came across in my life, right next to an old red screen one that stopped the game for over half a year)

As for the spell thing, you´re absolutely right. Someone a few weeks ago pointed that out as well. So I made the current version have 6 more books that talk about the status effects that are not explained through a spell´s description. They´re scattered throughout the game here there, but will be in easy to read order at the 1st floor mansion library next to the fireplace.

Edited by lianderson, 16 June 2016 - 04:34 PM.

#8 Soulpour777

Soulpour777

Kodo no Majutsushi

• + Sponsor
  • 2582 posts
  • LocationVanir
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 17 June 2016 - 11:51 PM

I remember solving one of the bugs and playing this game. Totally recommended. I like how it pushes the limits of the program, actually.

Check me out on YouTube for my tutorials and plugin videos.

soulxregalia_banner.jpg?w=625

If you support my works, please do have the time to include this banner in your site / forum signature.

SUPPORT ME ON PATREON

Spoiler

#9 Rikifive

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness

• Forum Admins
  • 5713 posts
  • LocationEquestria First Language - Polish           Game Maker & Ace User                                  
  • RM Skill - Game Developer

Posted 18 June 2016 - 03:14 PM

I started playing this game and I already managed to discover, that there are maaaaaany ways to build your character and many ways to go in general, which is nice. ^^

I didn't pay much attention to genders of characters posted in here and guess what happened? The game didn't say anything and I thought that the character is male, so now, there is a witch named BOB. :D

I like the game so far ~ so much to discover, interesting environment.

But one thing I didn't like is that, the game runs extremely terribly in some places. Most likely due to lighting effects. Changing it to low doesn't help at all. That being said, traveling through few locations is a pain.

I admit the maps are huge ~ I already got lost somewhere, but that's fine! :D

However, I went to the arena while having only the main character in party (because I obviously got lost and randomly got there :D) but the conversation involved characters that were not here. I assume I should have the rest of the characters before getting to the arena, right? =P

Also, I've managed to find a mapping error and get on the wall.  :ph34r:

It's a really nicely made game, but the thought of having to deal with the lags for the entire game makes me kinda hesitant to continue... =/

I know it's not your fault though.

I believe I can :fly:.

LraXqtS.png

Want to see SCIENCE in RPG Maker VX Ace? Try these games:

Super Coolstory Bros. | Chain Reaction | Good VS Evil: The Fateful Curse | Frozen Dream | Eric Chronicles - Adventure to The Starting Position

Scripting stuff in VX Ace? Ever wanted to put script calls during playing? Perhaps RK5 Debug Console will help!

#10 lianderson

lianderson

Advanced Member

• 117 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 18 June 2016 - 08:41 PM

The does game does lag in some places, and with bad computers like mine, it lags almost over where. Trust me, I feel you. In fact, it lagged so much, It was part of the reason I stopped working on the game for about a year. I felt most people wouldn´t play it, and right fully so.

It wasn´t until a few months ago when I showed "this old game I was working on" to my friend.  He was wanting to checkout RPG maker, and let me tell you, I sat there frozen when I watched my game become smooth for the first time. No lag or anything. Apparently he has a semi beast computer, and that´s when I realized... it was 2016...and next year it will be 2017, and 2018. Etc, etc. As time goes on, people will have better computers in general for it´s poorly optimized self. Much better than mine at least. It´s a sliding scale in the game´s favor. And 2016 is a some what reasonable threshold to release the game in. Not fully reasonable, but somewhat reasonable. Reasonable enough to unreasonably get back to work on it at least.

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you noticed all the different builds. (got a few more now) And that old bug at the arena. Sorry for that.

btw, do you know remember where that mapping error is? I´ve only found 5 or 6 of them since the free version. Just paranoid it isn´t one of them.

Edited by lianderson, 18 June 2016 - 09:59 PM.

#11 Rikifive

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness

• Forum Admins
  • 5713 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 04:57 AM

I'm 99% sure, that the lags are caused by lightning system, that you have implemented there. This script is famous for both - nice effects and creating lags.

But the problem is with the RPG Maker itself - it has extremely poor performance and that's why many developers have troubles with optimizing games (inlcuding me). That's ridiculous, that I can play 3D games and such without any troubles, and here silly RPG's can run terribly. That's because the engine does not use GPU ~ and anyway my PC isn't that old... This software is weak and that's all, so don't take it personally as it's not your fault. The only solution would be removing these lightning effects.

I like the way you have implemented these builds ~ different elements with different effects ~ even the type of weapon itself brings its own skills. I really liked how you added the damage formulas into descriptions. That's one of the biggest issues these games have ~ not having the damages etc. displayed and having to guess what does what. Your game handles that nicely and browsing through the skills is nice as it allows to easily compare things.

That mapping error was just at the beginning in one of NPC's houses ~ 

Spoiler

Also it allowed to to interact with the lamp from the top and change its sprite due to lack of direction fix. =3

LraXqtS.png

Super Coolstory Bros. | Chain Reaction | Good VS Evil: The Fateful Curse | Frozen Dream | Eric Chronicles - Adventure to The Starting Position

Scripting stuff in VX Ace? Ever wanted to put script calls during playing? Perhaps RK5 Debug Console will help!

#12 lianderson

lianderson

Advanced Member

• 117 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 19 June 2016 - 08:43 AM

Thank you, and congrats on your 5,000th post! It´s an honor to have it on this thread. (It´s like, historic or something)

Edit: I´m gonna compress the light images to a smaller size later today. Cut their file size in half while retaining the same image quality. Hopefully that will lower lag by 5 or 10%.(maybe even more)

Edited by lianderson, 19 June 2016 - 09:23 AM.

#13 Rikifive

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness

• Forum Admins
  • 5713 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 10:02 AM

Oh, right, thanks! :D

Mhm, your game could benefit from some optimizing. That's why I'm not using this lightning system at all by myself. It does look great, but at a high cost. =/

LraXqtS.png

#14 Aletheos

Aletheos

Advanced Member

• 59 posts
  • LocationStuck in the twilight between art and code

Posted 19 June 2016 - 02:45 PM

I'm liking this game so far, but because of it going commercial I decided to hold it to a higher standard and go on a bug hunt... and actually write it down so I can remember, I always forget that part...

Well, after a full day of playing the game, I'm working on a critique document that's about three pages long so far. I'm thinking I'll continue until I've played the entire game, but I'll post what I've got so far.

Spoiler

This was day 2, so there's nothing on the beginning of the game. I'll play a new game tomorrow.

Edited by Aletheos, 19 June 2016 - 02:51 PM.

Own hearth is gold worth.

#15 lianderson

lianderson

Advanced Member

• 117 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 19 June 2016 - 03:02 PM

Great post. Thank you for finding all those mistakes. Some have already been fixed but many, if not most, have not. I´m going to go down this list right now and fix everyone I can. Again, thank you and I appreciate your help.

I´m releasing a closed beta on Tuesday if you´re interested.

#16 Aletheos

Aletheos

Advanced Member

• 59 posts
  • LocationStuck in the twilight between art and code

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:37 AM

I´m releasing a closed beta on Tuesday if you´re interested.

Sure am.

Own hearth is gold worth.

#17 lianderson

lianderson

Advanced Member

• 117 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:55 PM

Version 1.2 is now up.

#18 lianderson

lianderson

Advanced Member

• 117 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:24 PM

Version 1.3, The Divine Tower, is now up.

#19 lianderson

lianderson

Advanced Member

• 117 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:52 PM

Version 1.3.1 is now up.

Edited by lianderson, 13 November 2016 - 10:26 AM.

#20 lianderson

lianderson

Advanced Member

• 117 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:58 PM

Version 1.4 , Island of Sand, is now up.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rpg maker vx ace, rpg, wooden ocean, masterpiece theater

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users