Photo
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Rikifive

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness

• Global Moderators
  • 5,514 posts
  • LocationEquestria First Language - Polish           Uses - Game Maker         RMVXAce                                   GM Skill - Procrastinating
  • RM Skill - Game Developer

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:53 PM

rXorVfq.png

BETA 1.0

Sk4hER8.png
This is a NES-like Platformer Shooter similar to Contra.

c96HmSw.png
Two brothers are 'kidnapped' to the Game World by The Virus.

It asks them to gather data from various games, which would grant it more power.

Once the request will be fulfilled, the brothers will be brought back to real world.

But what will happen next?

Is the game world in danger?

Do Super Coolstory Brothers find another way?

Fd7BYu8.png
> Unique Gameplay! (As for RM)

> LOCAL MULTIPLAYER!

> Bring Back Memories From Your Childhood!

> Original Soundtracks!
> Original Sound Effects!
> Old-school gameplay! (8-bit style)
> Travelling Through Various Game Worlds From NES Console
     ~ Mario, Contra and many more!

UMYDjQJ.png

C4CGmkc.png
omoyVGI.png
X8opac1.png
I2LPtwE.png
UzmrAvF.png
2eZc976.gif

OXkZIvZ.png

pw0Bgxs.png

click to see: GAMEPLAY PREVIEW - GIFV

X47Ny42.png
xDg4F19.gif
frPcC7O.gif
rX8aK7r.gif

CIxDoQz.png
 iqhM7ql.gif  COLOSSAL ANT  - A murderous ant. For some reason it damages humans when touched and HOLY BALLS! It takes few bullets to kill and is annoying to hit! Drastically upscaled so you can see.

K7C6LnV.gif  Spuder  - Dis Spuder can shoot cobwebs all over the place. It can't aim properly to be honest.
 V1G7KuM.gif  Wox  - A hybrid of a wolf and a fox. This cute dogie will gladly run through hug you. =3

1rUTIQs.gif Rock  - It has hard character. It wants to prove, that you don't need life to move and not be grounded.

GxG613t.png
 owkkbG1.gif SMALL DATA CHIP  - Increases DATA value by 1.

rtRPPN7.gif BIG DATA CHIP  - Increases DATA value by 3.

wmuk4fR.gif SMALL HEART  - Restores HP by one heart.

ivP0nbf.gif BIG HEART  - Restores HP by three hearts.

1YEFmU4.gif 1UP  - Gives one Extra Life.

fO16koO.gif Time  - Gives some Extra Time.

LNlfuDz.png

Spoiler

mv87LPz.png
Super Coolstory Bros! BETA 1.0

Edited by Rikifive, 08 January 2017 - 05:07 AM.
Update #4

I believe I can :fly:.

LraXqtS.png

Want to see SCIENCE in RPG Maker VX Ace? Try these games:

Super Coolstory Bros. | Chain ReactionGood VS Evil: The Fateful CurseFrozen DreamEric Chronicles - Adventure to The Starting Position

#2 Tarq

Tarq

Class: Old Man

• Global Moderators
  • 692 posts
  • LocationUK
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:37 PM

Hey Riki, just played this so here's some feedback.

Awesome intro, very authentic

The blue sign by the first pit is a lie. Makes me blue :( .

I feel like I was supposed to take the long way around here (by first health crate): Attached File  riki.png   43.58KB   0 downloads

I'm not sure about this but I think you might be able to continuously fire the gun by holding down the button if you mess around with Input.repeat?

No bugs though really. Well, except the ants ofc.

Lot of fun though. Hard to decide whether I want you to work on this or your MLP rpg more.

Posted Image

#3 Rikifive

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness

• Global Moderators
  • 5,514 posts
  • LocationEquestria First Language - Polish           Uses - Game Maker         RMVXAce                                   GM Skill - Procrastinating

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:18 AM

Thank you! :D Eventing via pure scripting is quite harder than in editor. =P

Oh I forgot to say, that the blue sign is supposed to indicate a checkpoint, but since there's no 'lives' system nor anything like this, that just can't be handled at the moment. =P

Yeah, kinda ~ That's what I was aiming for in the first place, but I've noticed that and was using that shortcut myself ~ Actually I don't mind that ~ it gives 'more freedom' by giving the chance to select a path and not forcing to backtrack for crates. =P

Non-auto firing is intended. There will be automatic weapons such as machine guns etc. though. I want to give the feel of shooting ~ not just holding the keys down. ~ It's all like it was in Contra. ^^

There will be many weapons to choose from ~ For example in Contra world you'll have the spread gun and stuff like this, where in SMB world you can get a Fire Flower weapon. ~etc...

That's good ~ I assume the performance wasn't that bad? =P

What's wrong with ants? ~ or was that a 'bug' joke? =P

Glad you had fun ~ To be honest I have the same feel ~ Working on this game is much simpler, faster and fun than on MLPRPG. ~ Making a good RPG is an extremely difficult process and the amount of work required is incredible. ~making RPGs is not for me and I think I should be looking for different engine to work in. =P

Thank you for playing! =3

LraXqtS.png

Super Coolstory Bros. | Chain ReactionGood VS Evil: The Fateful CurseFrozen DreamEric Chronicles - Adventure to The Starting Position

#4 Nirwanda

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer

• Ace Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 04 June 2016 - 06:30 AM

Uh.... about the ants... if I may interject: you may want to change them for enemies is actually possible to hit without being almost on top of them.  :P

Great game, I really can't wait to see more progress on this. Good luck :)

#5 Rikifive

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness

• Global Moderators
  • 5,514 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 06:46 AM

You can always shoot diagonally or just jump over them and don't kill. ;)

I know that killing them is kinda frustrating, but yup... :D

Thank you! Currently I'm working on the base mechanics (weapons/score/lives)  (=

LraXqtS.png

#6 Rikifive

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness

• Global Moderators
  • 5,514 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 06:57 PM

oFQoWe1.png

GAME HAS BEEN UPDATED TO ALPHA 1.1

The Game's System is almost complete and soon I'll be able to start working on levels and story.

I've implemented features, that will show what's the game all about.

What is in the update?

1. REMASTERED HUD

gij3cAb.png

- Health Bars were replaced by Hearts

- The space near hearts and lives is for Carried Weapon

- The rest represents new features, that we'll talk about next

1.1. REMASTERED 'HEALTH' SYSTEM

- MAX HP has been reduced from 20 to 3

- Lowered Enemy Collision (2) and Hazards (5) damage from (#) to 1   

- Less life, due to lives~

- Invulnerability after hit has been increased from 0.5 sec to 0.75 sec

2. IMPLEMENTED 'LIVES' SYSTEM

- Now you can die and respawn!

- Collecting 100 Data will give an Extra Life (to both players on co-op)

- Extras Life Bonus Items also can be found (also give to both players on co-op)

2.1. CONVENIENT 'RESPAWNING'

- When you'll die, you'll respawn after some time without getting backtracked (just like in 'Contra', for example)

- The game checks for solid blocks to spawn on

~ You'll not spawn straight to the bottomless pits unless there will be no solid blocks nearby for some reason

- On co-op you'll respawn at your bro's position as long as he stands on a solid block (no trolling, sorry ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°))

~ unless you both die at the same time, then the first who died, will respawn on the same rules as on single player

3. IMPLEMENTED 'SCORE' SYSTEM

- Because why not? ^^

- You'll be able to get Extra Lives by gaining score

avltEGJ.png

4. IMPLEMENTED 'TIME' SYSTEM

- It's just to raise the difficulty a little and to prevent from potential grinding in one place

- When the time reaches 0, both players are killed

- They will still respawn normally without being backtracked ~ the time count will increase a little

- When you die while the time will be low, you'll not die again because of the time - it will be increased to its specified minimum value

- (Annoying) Visual* and Sound Effects when the timer gets low =3

* - they're in the game's world, so when the time gets low ~ the world 'glitches' and kills bros

sBmol3M.png

5. DROPS!

- Now the boxes drop collectible bonuses!

- Collect Data, Hearts, Lives and Weapons from these!

- Items are nicely animated. =3

iDWDwqQ.png

5.1. BUNCH OF SUPPLY CRATES AT THE START!

Alpha 1.1 Exclusive!

- just for lolz :D

1qeRvUa.png

6. WEAPONS!

- Get awesome weapons and destroy everything on your way!

- Currently only one weapon available though

- Crouch to pickup weapons

UzmrAvF.png

7. IMPROVED PERFORMANCE!

- The code has been improved and the performance has been boosted.

- There still may be lags ~ please inform me about the performance you've got

8. MINOR DETAILS

- Game handles 'GAME OVER' now ~ no need for [F12]

- There's still only one level playable

- Improved hitboxes a little ~ climbing on ramps is more accurate

- 'Cool Adventure!' OST has been improved (replaced 'clashing' parts and extended the song a little (It's still better at 70% speed =3))

- Bunch of new Sound Effects and stuff!

Note, that I'm still working on the systems and such, so some things may change.

LraXqtS.png

#7 Rezanta

Rezanta

The Dragon of the Leaves

• Ace Member
  • 543 posts
  • LocationVeryll Forest

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:27 PM

Alright, considering my computer likes to be crappy from time to time, the game ran smoothly!

Anywhom, on to my two questions.

Why do you not get any bonus for completing the level with 00 as your time? That's it I'm done. DONE! *Goes to walk away* Just kidding XD But still, I'm curious about that.

Were the health crates at the beginning just for fun?

And now, one little tidbit on the spread shot.

If you fire the gun just right, you can technically achieve unlimited shooting. I don't know if you intended that, but I found that out while playing around.

After all that, I'll still give a 4.5/5 :D (Mainly because you're still working on it and I can't give a full review yet.)

I support the following games:

Spoiler
I support the following resource areas:And to top it off, I support my friends and these musicians:
Spoiler

Spoiler

#8 Nirwanda

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer

• Ace Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:23 PM

Cool new improvements Riki, ants are still a pain to hit, though. When will we have taller enemies? It's shaping up really nicely and good god you do magic with the engine. Also I had good performance (but I did even with the old demo, so my opinion is not worth that much. :P

Still, anxiously waiting for more from you!

#9 Tarq

Tarq

Class: Old Man

• Global Moderators
  • 692 posts
  • LocationUK
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:30 AM

Game's coming along real well, and real fast!

Keep it up!

Posted Image

#10 Cookie Ninja

Cookie Ninja

Chocolate chip master!

• 622 posts
  • LocationLost woods
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:44 AM

Played it, loved it :wub:

I have two things I noticed, keep in mind I'm playing on linux so these might be linux only problems.

• Seems like you could only skip the cut scene the first time around. This is interesting cuz you'd normally want it the other way around... xD

• When you die, you come back blinking and remain  immortal for the duration. However when you are injured it seems like the immortality stops before the blinking does,
    this is misleading and caused this cookie ninja to die. >_< + if you get injured twice in a row, there is no indication of that and you get surprised when you just die later on. Maybe if you flashed red when you got hurt. I don't know, but some indication would be nice.

• Sometimes there is a slight delay in the jump, this is bad since often that margin is the difference between life and death.

All in all, this is a great thing you got going here, I'm always impressed by your ability to make VX Ace do non-Vx Ace things ;)

Everything I ever make will be free for all to use for all purposes!

I rarely demand credits, but I would appreciate a thank you (not mandatory).

To me that is a great morale boost, it goes a long way in motivating to keep doing what I do :D

Cookie Scripts:

#11 Rikifive

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness

• Global Moderators
  • 5,514 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:21 AM

@Rezanta 

Oh that's great to know!

Why there should be a bonus for that? :D

Perhaps I'll implement achievements and then you'll be able to get one for that. =P

Yup! Absolutely! It is stated in the update: ^^

5.1. BUNCH OF SUPPLY CRATES AT THE START!

Alpha 1.1 Exclusive!

- just for lolz  :D

You can fire up to 9 bullets when having the spread gun ~ it will still shoot even only one bullet when there'll be 8 on screen ~ kinda recreating the OP-Spread-Shot-Machine-Gun from 'Contra'. Unless you have found something else...? =P

The limit is to prevent from spam with bullets when having controllers with auto-thingies or similar stuff. (it still will work at close range though, but that's better than killing everyone before they even have a chance to do something, due to wall of bullets ~ close range is a different story and at least there's a time for them before you get close)

+ the bullet limit kinda forces player to aim, instead of spamming randomly.

Good enough! Thank you! :D

@Nirwanda 

I know it's a pain xD ~They will be in future updates/next levels. Magic... I wonder how... ;)

The old demo was running nicely until you were playing on co-op (at least in my case) ~ now the performance is.. or at least should be good on both modes, while singleplayer will still surely have better performance.

YAY! Thank you! =3

@Tarq 

Making RPG's is one of the most difficult genres to make ~ no wonder why it goes so slow, while I can progress much faster with this one. ^^

I will! Thank you! (=

@Cookie Ninja 

YAAAY! =3

Hmm... Yeah ~ they probably are linux related issues~

• You can skip the cutscene every single time (even the first time) by pressing [ENTER] ~ so that's really odd...
  • Now that's really weird ~ when the immortality ends, then the blinking is forced to stop ~ same as you're blinking only when having immortality ~ so they are dependent on each other ~ What is more ~ the blinking ends 5 frames earlier than immortality, so I have no idea what kind of sorcery is this. =P
    Here's the piece of code:
    Spoiler

That's an interesting issue I admit. =P

• When you're walking on ramps (either up/down) with certain not convenient angle, then there are small gaps where the character loses connection with the ground making him unable to jump (hence silly movement animation)
    Other than that, everything should work just perfect ~ Unless ~ you're holding too many keys on keyboard, that results in 'blocking' them.
    If you have delays even with simple jumping, then it seems, that Linux doesn't handle RM very well, since there apparently are delays with reading/updating the code. (Or something like Frame Skip) Don't get me wrong though ~ but that's what came to my mind and would explain the issues above. ^^

These are issues, that I'm afraid I'll be not able to fix, because I can't recreate, spot, work with and test them. =P

Sorry to hear you're having troubles~ =/

Thank you! That's my favorite thing to do! ;)

LraXqtS.png

#12 Rikifive

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness

• Global Moderators
  • 5,514 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:23 AM

oFQoWe1.png

GAME HAS BEEN UPDATED TO ALPHA 1.2

The Beginning is complete! Now I'll be working on further levels.

What is in the update?

1. CUTSCENES!

X8opac1.png

- Get introduced to the story!

- PRESS AND HOLD [Z] BUTTON TO HASTEN MESSAGES

- PRESS [ENTER] TO SKIP CUTSCENE

- RM's Editor is not involved ~ cutscenes are purely scripted and it takes sooo much time as you can see

2. TUTORIAL LEVEL

I2LPtwE.png

- At least it has some explosions

3. NEW SOUNDTRACKS AND SOUNDS!

- Bunch of new OST and SE to make your ears bleed! (JK! I think I'm getting better at this =3)

> Added 'The Story Begins' OST

> Added 'Somewhere in Nowhere' OST

> Added 'Setting Off' OST

> Added 'Cool Adventure! (Intro)' OST

> ~5 new Farts and Squirrels SE

4. CONTROLLER SUPPORT!

- You can plug-in two controllers and play the game fully legitimatelly!

- While it worked during tests, there may be problems dependable on PC's. (Notify me about issues)

5. MINOR DETAILS

- Added Character Section to the OP

- Changed default key for P2's B button from [ Q ] to [ C ]

~ I was thinking it would be better? But it's still terrible

~ I plan to add in-game key configuration

- Probably you'll be asking for 'PAUSE' feature ~ I'll be working on it

- Of course removed Alpha 1.1 exclusive Supply Boxes in World 1-1

Note, that I'm still working on the systems and such, so some things may change.

LraXqtS.png

#13 Rikifive

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness

• Global Moderators
  • 5,514 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:48 AM

oFQoWe1.png

GAME HAS BEEN UPDATED TO ALPHA 1.3

Next level available = progress is being made.

What is in the update?

1. WORLD 1-2

2eZc976.gif

- ...which means longer gameplay!

- It has animated waterfall(s)! AMAZING! :o

2. NEW ENEMIES!

K7C6LnV.gif  Spuder  - Dis Spuder can shoot cobwebs all over the place. It can't aim properly to be honest.

V1G7KuM.gif  Wox  - A hybrid of a wolf and a fox. This cute dogie will gladly run through hug you. =3

- At least it's easier to hit them than ants!

3. REBALANCED TIME SYSTEM

- Time runs out 25% faster

- There are bonuses, that are giving some extra time

4. REDID EFFECTS OF TIME WARNING

- Silly Horizontal Lines were replaced by TV-Static Effect

P6M6Q66.png

- Removed static sound

- Decreased Brightness Lowering by 40%

5. MINOR DETAILS

- Added ITEMS SECTION to the OP

- Few new Sound Effects

- I forgot about 'PAUSE' feature ~ I swear it will be in the next update

6. BUG FIXES

- Fixed cursor movement in the Title Screen when pads were plugged-in

- Fixed second player being unable to scroll map

- Fixed Player 2's HUD showing remaining lives of Player 1 at the start of levels

- Thanks to Rikifive for reporting them ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

LraXqtS.png

#14 Thaletos

Thaletos

Black Lodge resident

• Ace Member
  • 102 posts
  • LocationSpain
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:12 AM

This looked great but when I finally played it... I found it IS great!!

The game is pretty awesome, I never expected a platformer like this could be done in RPG Maker. The only annoying thing are those ants! Aiming at them it's as dificult as only it can be (as we say where I come from). But besides that I think the level dificulty is ok.

So, let me say, congratulations and

I wish you many updates.

My scripts:

Spoiler

My proyect:

9 Circles Casino & Hotel - In development

#15 Rikifive

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness

• Global Moderators
  • 5,514 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:03 AM

YAY! Thank you! =3

I can't use the engine in a proper way, which it was designed for. :D

Yeah these ants... The game is just in alpha stage and they're famous already. They're so awesome! =3

Hah, Thank you!

LraXqtS.png

#16 Nirwanda

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer

• Ace Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:09 AM

Wow! those spiders are hard, I actually lost. The intro is a tad too long, TBH. But iI really liked what you've done, great job riki. BTW, shouldn't there be a full heal after finishing a level? It's a staple!

#17 Rikifive

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness

• Global Moderators
  • 5,514 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:27 AM

I was planning to make them shoot more accurately, but after testing the level, I've came into conclusion, that they're good enough. :D

The intro is indeed long, but I wanted to cover most of the details in here. Thankfully you can skip these cutscenes. By the way, I had to watch the whole cutscene many, many times whenever I added something to it, because I had to test it to check if everything is okay so far. That's why it took so long to make these. =P

As for full heal after level ~ The health will be restored after completing a world for sure, but I still wonder about single levels ~ I want to keep some connection between these ~ something like world being one level, but with separate parts...  Perhaps I'll put some score bonus after each level (for time and health remaining) so that way, HP will have to be restored.. Hmm... I'll see how it goes later.

Thank you for giving it a try! =3

LraXqtS.png

#18 Nirwanda

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer

• Ace Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:52 AM

Also, I forgot to mention, the game only partially recognized my third party controller. It recognized the arrow keys but not the  buttons....while in gameplay. I could stil hold a button to speed up dialogue. Really weird.

#19 Rikifive

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness

• Global Moderators
  • 5,514 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:12 AM

Hmmm I see. The Input system is a pain (silly RM (shame on developers)) and it definitely needs more tests. I'll check stuff out. Thank you for reporting that. (=

LraXqtS.png

#20 Rikifive

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness

• Global Moderators
  • 5,514 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:51 PM

oFQoWe1.png

GAME HAS BEEN UPDATED TO BETA 1.0

The game officially advanced to BETA stage!

What is in the update?

1. WORLD 1-3 & BOSS

OXkZIvZ.png

- What awaits on the right? Find it yourself! ^^

- ALSO AS PROMISED - PAUSE FEATURE!!!! YAY! (Esc or START on pad)

2. NEW ENEMIES!

1rUTIQs.gif Rock  - It has hard character. It wants to prove, that you don't need life to move and not be grounded.

BOSS - ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

- Let's ROCK!

3. SAVE FEATURE!

ankXPsD.png

- 3 Save Disks Included in pack!

- Note, that you can save game only in the Castle of Data, which doesn't currently exist, so you can't save the progress atm. Though configuration and statistics are saved.

- These disks should work in future versions, so keeping them may grant some bonuses!

- I'm not sure if that will work though - stuff is still in beta, so I'm not sure how disks will react to updates.

- Most likely I'll program a 'Disk Diagnoser', which will fix disks for you, if they'll be lacking of something.

4. REMASTERED TITLE SCREEN

C4CGmkc.png

- ALWAYS BETTER THAN BLACKNESS! XD

- The Title Screen is now 20% cooler.

5. OPTIONS!

ue0WeSY.png

Gd45IQw.png

- FOR ALL YOUR NEEDS!

- Now you can replace silly default keys with proper configuration!

6. LEVEL RESULT SCREEN

pw0Bgxs.png

- In case if you wouldn't notice, that you've finished a level =3

- Extra Score!

- Artwork, that took me ages!

7. NEW SOUNDTRACKS AND SOUNDS

- Added 'Bring It On' OST

- Added 'The Moonlight' OST (Yes, it was inspired by Duck Tales)

- Added 'Level Complete!' Music Effect

- Bunch of new Sound Effects ~ Cursor sounds have been remastered

8. MINOR CHANGES / BUGFIXES

- OP's layout has been changed

- Improved HitBoxes ~ walking on ramps - There's much more freedom in jumping

> When you'll get off the ledge, you can still jump for a very short period of time

> This also fixes weird movement and inability to jump sometimes when walking on ramps

- Improved Input System ~ Controllers and such should work much better now

- Improved code (physics and such) ~ It is neater a little, so the performance should be increased by ~0.01% (or more)

- That's all I think ~ I've improved many things here and there ~ but nothing significant I think...

oFQoWe1.png

A QUICK BUGFIX UPDATE!

I've fixed a game breaking bug, where the game was crashing when the player died near spuders.

The game has been updated, so please redownload the game before reporting bugs.

I'm extremely sorry for any inconvenience! D:

LraXqtS.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ ) games, super, 2d, platformer, shooter, local multiplayer, 2 players, rpg maker vxace, the gaming lounge, rikifive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users