82 posts in this topic

I played through it. Cute little story and some fun puzzles. I frickin' love Irene.  :D Nic artwork, too. Again though, the dialogue was the best thing about the game for me. Very nice work  :thumbup3:

Whiona likes this

I played through it. Cute little story and some fun puzzles. I frickin' love Irene.  :D Nic artwork, too. Again though, the dialogue was the best thing about the game for me. Very nice work  :thumbup3:

Awesome, I'm really glad you had a fun time with it!! Thank you so much for playing. <3 Haha, Irene is definitely the fan favourite! I polled folks on Twitter about who their favourite was and she won by a landslide. I'm so happy that you enjoyed the dialogue all the way through!!

OMG IT'S FINALLY OUT! I'm downloading it right now :D I know I still owe you feedback on your puzzles, but I've been uber busy :( I'll try to get back to you ASAP though! Congrats! <3

Edit: This game has my full support! I'd donate some moneys, but unfortunately I'm just a broke teenager ;-; So, how does fanart sound instead?! I was thinking of making a Four Eyes inspired windowskin :D 

Edited by raymi100
Knighterius, Whiona and lonequeso like this

WHIONA! Oh my! I'm so proud of you. This looks deliciously fantastical with a slice of whatever mixture that makes you the darling devver you are. I'm so annoyed I haven't seen this until now. I'll have to definitely try this out. It looks really, really good. ^~^

'

Whiona likes this

Before I get to my replies, I have a couple of announcements to make!

First of all, version 1.0.1 is now up for download on itch.io! Here are the changes:

• An error where Toa’s name was displayed instead of Jett’s was fixed
  • The text sound effect volume was lowered slightly
  • A confusing line of dialogue was clarified

Surprisingly, that's it. Either my lovely playtesters were incredibly thorough, or I just really sucked at discovering bugs by myself before I sent out the demo. Probably a mixture of both.

Second of all, a full walkthrough of the game is now available! This includes instructions on how to get the secret ending. I hope this is helpful to anyone who finds themselves stuck!

OMG IT'S FINALLY OUT! I'm downloading it right now :D I know I still owe you feedback on your puzzles, but I've been uber busy :( I'll try to get back to you ASAP though! Congrats! <3

Edit: This game has my full support! I'd donate some moneys, but unfortunately I'm just a broke teenager ;-; So, how does fanart sound instead?! I was thinking of making a Four Eyes inspired windowskin :D

Yay, thank you for downloading and for showing your support! It's totally okay - anytime you'd like to give feedback, I'd love to hear it. I'll tuck away any wisdom you'd like to impart for my next attempt at puzzles! <3

That is more than okay!! I LOVE receiving fanart! The game is 100% free and I'd never expect anyone to send me money for it. I only turned on the itch.io pay-what-you-want feature because someone requested a way to send me tips. It's a completely optional thing, and fan works are just as wonderful. :)

WHIONA! Oh my! I'm so proud of you. This looks deliciously fantastical with a slice of whatever mixture that makes you the darling devver you are. I'm so annoyed I haven't seen this until now. I'll have to definitely try this out. It looks really, really good. ^~^
'

This is so incredibly sweet!! Oh my gosh. Thank you for commenting, Knighterius, and I hope you enjoy yourself!

Edited by Whiona
PowerBurger and Knighterius like this

Okay, review time! Now... how long has it been since I made that first...

496796b885.jpg

Oh.

1cc51373f5.jpg

Oh dear... >.<

You know what? I have an excuse! I call it the three Ls! 

Life. Laziness. Loss-Of-Free-Time. 

College more or less got in the way of everything, and I hardly got the chance or desire to write this up, even weeks after I finished Four Eyes. I apologize, ma'am. You didn't deserve this long of a wait.  :(

So... to make up for it, I'm leaving a nice surprise at the bottom. Look forward to it!  ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll mostly cover what's in the full version only, as I've already played the demo, which is essentially the first half of the game. I hope that's alright!

Spoilers for anyone who hasn't played Four Eyes yet, just sayin'.

- Audio -

DAT SAXOPHONE

Honestly, your selection of music all-around is something akin to a roller coaster. It starts off funky and fresh, drops into dangerous and mysterious, becomes calm and serene, and finishes off with... that track with the saxophone. I don't know how to describe it, but it's my favorite of the bunch. It's funky, upbeat, calming, scenic, and graceful all at the same time! That piano honestly makes everything just meld together perfectly, and it constantly gave me flashbacks of the rest of the game. It's absolutely perfect for the Jett and Irene dynamic. I've had this track on loop the entire time while typing this up, no joke. 

- World -

Referencing my previous words here: "The environments are, for lack of a better term, incredible. No tile feels random or unused, and there's atmosphere as well as character to absolutely everything."

That still holds up, and it feels like the map design only got better as the game went on. I loved the top of the cave with the waterfall especially. It gave me a feeling of exploration that I only really feel in games like Xenoblade Chronicles. 

The only nitpick I have is that the end of the game doesn't hold up environment-wise as well as the rest. The area is still fantastic, but some of the maps felt too symmetrical and empty at times, particularly in the room where the Talyrans show up. 

- Plot -

The plot is kind of been-there-done-that, admittedly, but I still enjoyed it for what it was. If you replace the alien with a regular human and made the conflict about two opposing countries instead... you can see why I view it as unoriginal. xD

The most interesting dynamic is obviously the bromance, and being as short as the game is, you obviously put the majority of your effort towards it. This is both a boon and a bane in my opinion. On one hand, your story is focused and centralized on the three main characters, and it allows for efficient character development. On the other, more could have been explained about the world/people around them, and the war in general isn't really explained at all. As far as I recall, the war just happened some time ago for some reason. 

To your credit though, you tried your best -- and somewhat succeeded -- to give the aliens and humans as much background information as possible throughout the game. I liked the way you handled alien technology.  :)

Seriously though, you rushed that bromance like there was no tomorrow. xD

- Characters -

I... honestly don't have much to say here regarding the characters specifically. My opinions of them still remain mostly the same.  :(

Jett - So adorkable, and still a guy I'd invite over to play Smash Bros. with. The way you went deeper into his integrity was nice, and gives some nice insight as to why his entire crew trusts him so much. 

Irene - She ships them. She ships them so hard she writes fanfictions about them when they aren't looking. She'd make the perfect, sassiest secretary. She also breaks the fourth wall a ton. Ireanlly like this character, what else can I say? xD

Toa - Unfortunately... Toa sort of became forgettable as the story went on. Everything involving him and the plot was fairly obvious, so once you look past the alien bit, he's not too special.

will say, however, that I loved the interactions between Jett and Toa whenever you had flavor dialogue for them. I love how Toa outright falls asleep when out of Jett's sight, and if I was Jett, I would have assumed Toa betrayed me. Nope! That was definitely one of the more adorable parts of the game.  :P

"Jett... this sleeping pod..."
"Toa."
"It really is high-quality, you know..."
"Toa."

Got a nice chuckle out of that, tyvm.

- Gameplay -

While Four Eyes doesn't get harder or tricker as I thought it would, that's probably for the best in the end. It's primarily a story-driven game, and it never quite loses that purpose. It did throw me for a loop though when Irene suddenly became playable. 

"Wait, I'm playing as Irene now? I'm playing as a hologram version of Irene? How the heck am I interacting with doors?! WHAT IS GOI--"

It was legitimately cool as well as a nice aesthetic I haven't seen before in a RM game. Nice job!

Since my opinion on Gameplay remains virtually the same overall, I'll just be moving onto criticism now.  ;)

- Criticism -

Previous mentions aside, I only have two criticisms to give, and they're both regarding gameplay -- the puzzles in particular.

The first one is one you're already aware about. Remember my PM to you about how I got stuck? In general, certain puzzles needed more clarity. I'll get more into that on the second criticism.

The best and worst part of the game, at least for me, was when Irene became playable. Best because, well, Irene became playable. Worst? Well... in my opinion, the puzzle I'll dub as the "Chemist ID" puzzle was the one puzzle I didn't enjoy much at all. It reminded me of the puzzle in Jett's room, except not nearly as clever. Instead of clicking on random objects in a small room and cleverly using dialogue hints to figure out a code, it was a game of "Click every single little thing you can see in several medium-sized rooms to find the code." The dialogue certain objects gave was amusing, but overall it was the one part of the game that broke the immersion for me. I'm not gonna lie, it actually irked me when I finally found the code. It was hidden in a random forgettable shelf on the left wall within the same room where Irene appeared in the first place. Nggghh...

Clarity issues and that one puzzle aside though, I loved everything else! 

- Errors -

Hmm... 

Glances at notes

Oh, right. The legs of the characters don't properly interact with the taller grass. That's about the only environmental glitch I saw, which in all honesty, is pretty dang impressive.

That's literally all I have for errors.  :giggle:

- Conclusion -

Overall, this game is charming. It's very, very charming. I can see it being a movie, actually. 

Thank you for finishing development of Four Eyes! If I were to rate it professionally, I'd give it a 7.5/10. :)

Ohh... right, the surprise! Here you go! I hope you get a kick out of it.  ^_^

Edited by PowerBurger

Going to start off this reply attempting to sound professional/coherent which is going to be REALLY HARD considering I'm sitting here with a stunned happy look on my face and practically bouncing around but I'LL TRY MY BEST

So first off, thank you so much for all of the in-depth feedback you've provided! I'm really happy to hear about the bits you did like, and also to receive well thought-out criticism from someone whose opinion I really respect! You're right that the ID puzzle was my...attempt at recreating something like the first puzzle, since people seemed to like that one, but it didn't turn out nearly as well. Making a puzzle game turned out to be so much harder than I ever thought it would be. Kind of a humbling experience!

I agree with you about the worldbuilding thing, too. I established the war somewhat sloppily because of the time restrictions Yaoi Game Jam placed on me, and then...didn't really expand much when the full version came along. The good news is that I've been worldbuilding Jubilee Royale for years, so I hope to make up for my laziness in Four Eyes with that game! (And if I ever make another game in this universe, which is entirely possible, I'd really like to explore talyran society more. A few people have actually requested this, which is extremely flattering!)

It's alright if you weren't so into Toa! Different characters will resonate more or less with different folks. :) I'm really glad you liked the other two, though!

At the end of the day, yes - it's very much a story-driven game. I'm happy you were able to enjoy it even the gameplay admittedly wasn't GOTY-worthy! (ALSO, DANGIT, DID THE TALL GRASS NOT OVERLAP THEIR FEET STILL? I thought I fixed that. Will put that on my list of fixes for the next version - which, honestly, I ought to send out soon. I've only found a couple more minor issues, but it's been a few weeks now, so...) A 7.5 is better than I ever would have expected for my first release, so thank you very much!! Once again, I really appreciate how in-depth your feedback is, and I'll pay attention to your pointers as I work on Jubilee Royale. :)

OKAY SO NOW TO GET SOMETHING OUT OF MY SYSTEM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

wow I was really holding that in

I sat in stunned, joyful silence for probably a minute straight when I opened that link. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for this surprise! It was absolutely wonderful! I can't believe I've received my first fanfic. This is just really humbling and OH MY GOD IT WAS SO ADORABLE AND FUNNY? I freaking love how you wrote Irene, you nailed Jett's voice, and Toa's thoughts at the end were so sweet. And the 3 BFFs just hanging out and having a game night together? Man. I love this so much. I'm going to read it every day okay maybe that's a bit excessive I just love it a lot

Edited by Whiona