• Announcements

• RagingHobo

Forum Upgraded!   07/17/2017

We have successfully upgraded our forum to the latest version! Some things have moved around but don't worry everything is still there, we still need to find updated versions of the plugins we were using previously to restore everything to the way it was. There will be a running topic in the Feedback and Support in case you notice something wrong. Before you do so please clear your browser cache and close your browser completely to rule out a caching issue. Thank you for your patience during the outage and while we get everything back to 150%  
Iamabrawler

Foxy Flavored Cookie The RPG (Demo out!)

21 posts in this topic

Hello, I am Iamabrawler, a novice RPG creator who has toyed around with various RPG Makers but never building anything serious... until now. Last year, I joined a community around a webcomic, and realized the author had done plenty of world-building that would allow for a whole RPG built around the plot of the webcomic.

Foxy Flavored Cookie

Genre: Slice of life/adventure

Game Progression: 15% perhaps? A demo is ready.

Recruitment: Until a demo is complete, I am not looking for anyone, though I might at some point need a spriter as, for the moment, I am using already-available sprites as placeholders.

Latest available version: 1.08 (Download here)

Story / Setting / Purpose:

How to quickly describe this webcomic, this RPG... Basically a slice-of-life story featuring anthropomorphic animals, in their own society much different from humans'. It starts with a man being bitten, turning into a werefox and, since there is no known cure, being forced to join the Lycan community. He makes friends and learns to live in this new setting... Things start off simple enough, but soon events start piling up. There is more than meets the eye in this world; major powers are fighting for dominance over the Lycan community, and while this world seems peaceful and happy, there is an underlying current of racism and hatred among the various races, some of which was caused by a failed revolution twenty years prior. Follow Pucho as he learns to live in this world, away from the humans; thankfully, he can count on the help of his new friends to guide him through. Befriend Lycans, find a job, solve people's problems, learn to cook... get thrown into a story that goes far beyond the little slice-of-life feel of the world.

Character Bios:

???/Pucho: The human who gets turned into a Lycan and afterwards renamed Pucho by Hos, the Scout who cured him from going feral.Human name discovered later in the story. The cure that prevented him from going feral also erased his human memories, forcing him to build a new personality from scratch. His adaptation would also be simpler if the cure didn't also dumb him down slightly.

Hos: A land scout whose tasks include finding newly-bitten people and curing them so that they don't become mindless werebeasts. He's a wolf/dog stray (a mixed breed as is allowed for Lycans) with a dubious sense of humor and a creeful, flirty personality, a bit of a hidden coward but a big heart. Goes by the nickname Pervy...

Pituka: A wolf/fox stray met by Pucho and Hos as they're heading back to the Lycan community, dubbed Paws' Den. A very nice girl, a proper lady who works as an insect biologist. Immediately likes Pucho upon meeting him. Pucho will live with her once he is settled in Paws' Den.

Nelly: A pure cheetah who works as chief engineer at the Heating Factory, which heats up all of Paws' Den. She's hotheaded and tends to think more with her fists and wrenches, but deep down she's a good person.

Three other characters join the party as the story progresses, with (I hope) a way to switch between the six at will 

Credits:

TheBaker - original author and artist, also supplies various pictures for the battlebacks, battlers and faces.

Gunny Waffle - webcomic's producer (helped get some images into the game)

Iamabrawler - programming, event planning, etc.

Shaz - "Remember Event Position" Script

Vlue - Basic Crafting script

Screenshots:

XOnfzX2.jpg

oFCNDFo.jpg

6xQM7nH.jpg

Features:

-A side-quest system where X side-quests have to be completed for a day (and the plot) to move forward, and (hopefully) anywhere from 40 to 100 side-quests available throughout the whole game.

-A cooking system where buying fruits, flour, ingredients, allows for Pucho to bake pies and cookies that can be used to heal himself or complete side-quests. Oh, and get a job.

-A climbing mini-game to get to Paws' Den.

-Six playable characters.

-Less fighting than most RPG games, but most, if not all, battles are plot-relevant or have something to do with part of the mythos and worldbuilding.

-A forest to explore outside of Paws' Den and a rather large and impressive world to explore inside, with bits and pieces of the larger storyline showing up as time goes on. Paws' Den itself is split in six sections, with two available from the start and four more that can be unlocked over time.

-I'm still juggling with the idea of having the possibility to have perks and missions from befriending secondary characters.

Things I will need at some point:

-Custom sprites for all characters, including ??? (the human that becomes Pucho), Pucho, Pervy, Pituka, and everyone else.

-Character portraits; if this project picks up and interest for it increases, I might try to have banks of 16 or more expressions for each character, all classified as portraits. All expressions would be inspired by those shown by the characters in the comic itself, including one-time portraits.

-Battler sprites of the opponents (so far, there are only two opponents, but as the project grows there will likely be many more).

Mods, feel free to move this thread if it's in the wrong thread, or if it's approved for the Showroom.

Edited by Iamabrawler
Zeriab likes this

I will be using this thread to remember everything I need to set up. Some time ago, I sent the comic's author and its producer a list I compiled of the locations in the story. Well, there are two main settings: The outside (the Silver Forest around Paws' Den, and the world around it), and the Inside (Paws' Den, the large city located deep underground, and the elevator that leads to it). I will reproduce this list here, along with where I believe each location should be. Perhaps, at the same time, I will be able to explain more of my ideas regarding this RPG, since I expect it to be less conventional than other RPGs out there... though it still seemss more of a straightforward RPG than many of the ideas I've read around here (among other, Party 2, which sounds really great).

Here's how the RPG will progress: It starts off in the forest, which serves as an intro of sorts showing the controls, and then it goes into Paws' Den. That section will be divided into days, at least 7 (but how many exactly is yet to be determined). Every day will serve to move the overall plot forward, with many side-quests on the way.

Each day will be split this way:

-Any plot that needs to advance in the morning;

-Then, the main character heads out for work (starting by Day 2 or 3, possibly). The character will need to show up for work, as one of the requirements for that day to move forward;

-Past the plot advancement in the morning, before work, and after work all the way till night, the character has free range to explore Paws' Den, first staying around the starting area (which is pretty big), then becoming able to access the next parts of the underground city;

-After five side-quests are completed in a day (and work has been done for the day as well), night falls and the character is invited to return home... though they can still do some more side-quests if they want.

-The character returns to his current home (Pucho lives with Pituka until he can get a house of his own), and if there are any evening or night scenes that have to be played out, they're played out then.

-Night, then the cycle restarts.

After a number of days have passed, there will be a major development in the story, and the group will go outside for a camping trip in the forest. There, a lot of plot-relevant stuff will happen, but I will make sure it doesn't overpower everything else and becomes a burden on players who don't like having no freedom (especially compared to the first half, in which the player has a LOT of freedom). Anyone following the comic will also realize that the team splits in many groups by the end og the camping trip arc, so the true challenge here will be to have all these stories co-exist, even though many of them have nothing to do with Pucho.

So, as you can see, the side-quests are a very important part of the game. Many, many locations are showcased in the comic, along with many, many minor characters, whether they're cameos of reader avatars or people that are randomly bumped into. Some are more important than others. I am still not certain that I would include a "friendship meter" of sorts, but I keep that idea nearby as it could be a nice way to complement the side-quest system (and it really fits the hopeful mood of that world as a whole), but its inclusion is no hurry.

Now, the locations. There are main "regions", in a way, and each region contains multiple locations of interest. I haven't yet been able to set a region for each location, though... Here's what I have so far.

Elevator/Identification District

This is where the elevator taking Lycans in and out of Paws' Den is located, as well as the place where new Bittens must be registered. Only contains an Elevator, a building for identification, and probably a house for bunnies.

Heating Factory

Located at the center of Paws' Den, it's a large factory led by main engineer Nelly, who becomes a party member later on. Many, many employees work there, some which happen to be the avatars of readers. This place will probably include a foundry so that bladed weapons can be upgraded. However, it is not available from the start. Many side-quests might be found there. Word goes around that something's in the ventilation system...

Queen's Castle

At the far end of the cave, there's the Castle of the current monarch and her (possibly nonexistent) army of Dream Soldiers. They say that, if you're seeing a Dream Soldier, it's already too late for you. Many aren't even sure that they exist. This will most likely be an endgame zone, considering it's hardly been seen in the comic and we know very little about it, not to mention it's not exactly a place where side-quests would abound. Doesn't really help that the Queen seems to be an antagonist at the moment...

Copper District

The poorest district, also the one that houses a majority of Lycans. As a result, it's the first zone available past the Identification District, and the largest one. Looks about as poor as it is, with the lowest quality restaurant and many citizens struggling with poverty. The locations found here are:

-Pituka's House: Where Pucho stays until he can pay for an apartment of his own. But once he's able to, will he really want to leave? ;) Contains a living room, a kitchen, a bathroom and a bedroom. Also where many of the plot-relevant scenes happen.

-El Peludo: The worst restaurant in the Copper District, and the only one willing to give lil's newly-bitten Pucho a chance. Thus, every day, he will need to head there, with neat money at the key.

-Slightly better restaurant in the Copper District (not saying it's good, but it's definitely better than the dump El Peludo is)

-Sensei Ciallmhar's House: This old guy is one of the last magic users in Paws' Den, and mostly uses it for all of the player's expository needs. As in, most of what he spouts is a spoiler.

-The Orphanage: Where many kids grew up due to a law in Paws' Den forcing families to have no more than one child, outside of special cases like twins. Some are actual orphans whose parents died, others have never even known their parents. This is also where Nelly and Pervy grew up.

-Pharmacy: Self-explanatory. The pies and cookies won't heal your poisoned state out there...

-Marketplace: A location where the group can buy normal fruits, or special fruits, maybe even fruitshrooms (a special type of food, a fruit that grows despite the lack of natural light, having properties of mushrooms). Other stuff could be sold there...

-Bakery: Where the Baker works. I brought that idea in the FFC community, and I want to go through with this. The avatar of the comic's author is always found there, giving Pucho a quick lesson on baking cookies, pies and other pastries; turns out Pucho has a natural talent for cooking, a talent he has mysteriously kept despite the memory loss caused by his transformation. After teaching Pucho about baking, Baker will always be available at the bakery to give him interesting info about the world of Paws' Den, its inner workings... and even advice to the player themselves.

-Scouts' Offices and Training Grounds: Pervy is a scout, which means he patrols the outside of Paws' Den, which includes looking for new Bittens and preventing humans from finding the cave. This is where all scouts reunite before work. This place includes a traning ground (where Pucho might be able to fight against other opponents, all in good sport) and someone who can upgrade rifles and firearms.

-Prison: Where the criminals are kept, obviously. Word has it that this prison has seen some particularly impressive criminals... and some particularly impressive escapes, too.

Red District

A higher-class district, with fancier homes and a generally better vibe around it. Pucho has to buy a pass to be allowed there (though passes are required for visitors, some places, like the hospital, are available). The center of culture.

-Upper-class restaurant: Not that you can yet work there, but they offer better meals... and charge quite a bit.

-Hospital: Where Pucho will be examinated due to being a new Lycan.

-Ulrick's House: Ulrick is the doctor appointed to study Pucho's state. His house includes a miniature lab. When not at the hospital, he's at home.

-Museum: A place that contains multiple interesting expositions, allowing Pucho (and the player) to learn more about the various species of Paws' Den and the History of that place, including its creation long ago, and the failed revolution years prior.

-Bookstore: There's got to be someone around here who needs a book, right? What about getting them the latest edition published of a Shakespawr play? (Their pun, not mine)

-Arts Center: For those who want to go see a music show, it's there. A play? It's there. A stand-up comedian? There. The latest film? There. The newest art exposition? ...That one's at the museum.

-Media Station: Televisions exist in Paws' Den! And so do journals and radio. They're all found in the same building, implying that they're all owned by the same person or group of people, or perhaps by the Queen herself.

Blue District

The richest district. Definitely not a place for those who live in the Copper District. Pucho also has to buy a pass to go there, except it's even more expensive than the previous one. Has a path leading towards the Queen's Castle.

-Best restaurant: Think a 5-star restaurant... well, close to that, anyway. Pucho can keep dreaming; he's not getting there anytime soon.

-Black Monolith: A strange skyscraper-like structure with no discernible entrance. Rumored to be the headquarters for the Dream Soldiers, but since they never come out except upon orders of their Queen... In fact, since some aren't even sure that they exist...

-Sir Pen Tyne's Manor: Another antagonist, who is hatching a plan to take control of Paws' Den. He is stinking rich and also a terrible jerk, so don't ever ask him for money. His manor is suitably enormous in the District, and chances are you'll never see what's inside it. Or maybe you will.

Unsorted

-Clothing Store: A place to buy, well, clothes. May be either in the Copper District or the Red District. (AKA, probably the Armor Shop)

-Pervy's Place: Implied but never seen; probably in the Copper District.

-Nelly's place: Implied but never seen, except since Nelly is the head engineer of the Heating Factory, she has the funds to have an apartment or a house anywhere in Paws' Den. Might be in the Red District.

-Tammy's House: Another of the last magic users in here. She will probably live in the Copper district.

-Apartment Blocks: There are such places in the Copper and Red Districts, this is where many of the characters live when they're away from work. Most Lycans work during the day, so your best bet to visit them is during the evening. I think there would be 2 or 3 of those in the Copper District, and 1 or 2 in the Red District.

This is all I had to add for the moment. If I think up more locations that I may have forgotten (or new places to visit that are not in the comic but would add something to this RPG), I will add them to this post. I hope this gave you a clearer indication of what I intend to do with this RPG. I hope I left enough hints of a greater story to make you wish to know more. And most of all, I hope I get some feedback on these ideas, as I would love to hear the opinion of more experienced RPG makers on here. It's a lot to comment on, I know, but as I said, I will be saving this post for future use, to know everything I need to do.

Edited by Iamabrawler
Tarq likes this

Some good news towards the making of a demo: I have managed to get some of the webcomic author's art into the game. Showing it to him, he accepted to provide some images once a demo is ready and out.

I have also started looking around for a sprite artist. Once again, this is merely preparations until a demo is made.

Development_E.jpg

FFCFacesA.jpg

Edited by Iamabrawler
boyflea likes this

More good news towards the demo; instead of ending it the moment the group reaches the main house, it will end when the main character, Pucho, goes to sleep. That's still a few more pages away - and I have another event-programming puzzle to solve before that point.

I'm trying to space out these updates to avoid spamming. Alright, so life has caught up with me and I find myself a lot busier these days than I usually am, between job obligations, family obligations (my father is a lumberjack and I have to go and help him out, nearly one day out of two that I don't have work), and personal obligations (keepingup a blog is more works than you'd think!)

Despite this, the RPG is going smoothly. Since a lot of scenes happen in Pituka's house, I chose to disable saving options in there, mostly to avoid the headache-inducing cases of "save, leave, then come back and cause problems due to events going back to the way they were before"... stuff you all know about.

Still, I've reached page 50 of the webcomic. This amounts to approximately 11% of the comic now put into the game. Its actually less impressive than it sounds since many of the early pages were short, and thus required very little event-programming. I'm slowly getting into more complex scenes that frequently require full pages of events. The good news is that I'm down to five pages left to program into the game before I consider the demo ready. The bad news is that it will once again contain a challenge that I know I'll be able to overcome. I just don't know how long it'll take me to overcome it. Thankfully, I can tell that I'm getting close to some kind of completion, even if it's just the demo, and I'm happy.

I also added some images from the comic that serve as "flashbacks" of sorts. I know where I'm going, now all I need is time.

Tarq likes this

Its good to hear things are going well; keep squeezing in the hours where you can but don't burn yourself out.

I'll have to check out this webcomic some time in preparation for your demo :)

I end the demo at page 55 of the comic, and I am currently on page 54. The demo is getting closer to completion! I even added some bonus things to offer a more varied experience for the player, things that I didn't actually have to do. Expanding on the story of the comic, adding more situations.

In fact, there really isn't much left to do. May I know the best place on which to post the demo when it's complete?

Just post the demo on this thread; best location is editing your first post with it. We used to have a seperate area for threads with demos but we've merged them recently.

Make sure to update your tags so everyone knows you have a demo though!

Just post the demo on this thread; best location is editing your first post with it. We used to have a seperate area for threads with demos but we've merged them recently.

Make sure to update your tags so everyone knows you have a demo though!

I misphrased my original post. What site should I use to upload the game's file? Also, how do I get the file ready - do I just click "Compress game data" and post that file to the upload site? Or there's more to do first?

Edited by Iamabrawler

Ah, right. Any hosting site is fine; the most common are dropbox and mediafire.

And yes, that's right. When compressed you'll have a file with blue cube icon - this is what you need to upload. Its best to make both RTP and non-RTP versions.

There is a basic encryption included in the compression but its not considered particularly good. You can find other encryption methods on this site, I believe. Only really matters if you've got a lot of custom resources and scripts that you don't want others using.

Hello everyone,

For the past few months I have been working on this little fun project based on the first 55 pages of the webcomic Foxy Flavored Cookie. What started as a little thing to test the many features of the software soon became a much more serious project, and before I knew it I had dozens of ideas.

I still wanted to stay within the realm of possibility, so I only adapted the first “day†of main character Pucho in this adventure, as a demo of sorts.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dtx1t9tbzuhgrmr/Foxy+Flavored+Cookie+The+RPG+%28Demo+version+1.05%29.exe

Make sure to read the notes included in the Mediafire download. I would like to receive feedback through Direct Message/Private Message. I tried to have enough oversight to prevent most problems, but there are definitely things I haven’t thought of correcting. (For those who are willing to look around and try things, you might discover a lot of fun easter eggs – not to mention the post-demo zone).

Since the project is in its infancy, there is still much to work on. Now that the demo has been made and published, I will start working on the next day of the story. I describe this game as an unconventional “social RPGâ€, in that while it does contain the general features of role-playing games, a lot of emphasis is put on talking with the citizens, completing side-quests and making friends. There is some fighting, but it’s not the focus. (On this, there may be some balancing issues in this first version.)

Test out everything. When you’re given freedom, try to go everywhere, press Z while facing anything. There’s a lot of nice little moments, especially in Pituka’s house, if you try to interact with everything. This is only the beginning of a fantastic project! If you want to contribute ideas and resources, I can link you to the Discord server I created.

EDIT: After receiving my first round of troubleshooting reports, I am currently working on an update to the demo.

Edited by Iamabrawler

EDIT: Uploaded a new version of the demo, you can find it on the previous post. Some cosmetic changes were made, mostly changing text in boxes where it trailed off the rightmost end, and some bugs have also been fixed.

I've been promoting the demo around a few Discord communities as well, where I got playtesters, I also streamed myself playing the game, allowing me to find many of the issues in the first two thirds of the demo.

Things to do now:

-Stream and playtest some more to find whatever remaining issues there may still be in the demo and correct them.

-Preparation for Day 2 of the game: adding the plot from pages 56 to 88 of the comic, spanning a whole day.

-Create maps for: The heating factory, the Red District, a hospital, various shops and public places available from the start of the second day.

-Begin work on a cooking feature (Gonna post about this in Theory and Development)
-Begin work on simple side-quests.

I am still wondering how to implement various features. Either way, I have a lot of work ahead of me!

Edited by Iamabrawler

Baker, the creator of the comic, has also created a few resources for me! He sent to me the forest backgrounds he usesin the comic, to be used as wall battlebacks, and created a grassy floor battleback. He also created four pictures of rabbits for one battle in the demo!

fWzvZso.png

rSUZ2bR.png

a1MJ5gw.png

69R2cUM.png

lJYXNTb.png

W5VFOlk.png

0UFdQuM.png

UyrtSEK.png

Tarq likes this

The last version posted for the FFC RPG demo was back in late November. Well, good news everyone, I am back with some new stuff! Version 1.06 mostly has some bug-correnting, but more importantly, it includes some of the resources given to me by Baker, including the forest battlebacks and the Bunny Guards.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/fbhm3m1ba0raj77/Foxy+Flavored+Cookie+The+RPG+%28Demo+Version+1.07%29.exe

With the basic cooking mechanic now built into the game, I can now move on to adding more of the story. The next step will be to build the scene in the morning between Pucho and Pituka, and then work on a few early-morning obligatory quests. I'll also start thinking up additional side-quests that can be done. In gameplay, this one should not be different from the previous one - as I said, the changes are mostly cosmetic. You should also be able to reach the end without any glitches. (Though if you meet any, please do tell me). I'll also take any critique or feedback.

On a side-note, I also created two more sets of faces for the game, although 15 of those 16 Faces will be for extra NPCs... and some might not even see use at all! (But hey, better have more than less, no?) All art is also by Baker.

I managd to get the Cooking mechanic into the game now, I sincerely hope it works when I get to it. I will update the credits on the first post of this thread.

ucrFY01.jpg

xVqI7IU.jpg

Edited by Iamabrawler

I need help!

I have received bug reports indicating that the game crashes after two screens currently and that this would be caused by an issue in the Crafting Script.

The message I've been sent by a playtester includes this error message:

qsskqAN.jpg

Here's a screenshot of said problematic line. I need someone who's far better than me at using the Ruby programming script, someone who can find the mistake there and correct it.

L860MYZ.jpg

Please help me, I can't move on as long as this isn't corrected! Download the game, check the script, and tell me what to change!

EDIT: Also check line 1473, as far as I know it's a problem with the "credits" section attributed to Venka. I will need to erase those if I want to get the script to work... But it wouldn't hurt to check and see if there are any other possible issues with the game, too.

Edited by Iamabrawler

In the future please post these kinds of queries in the relevant forum area (ie. RGSS3 script support).

You'll likely get an accurate solution much more quickly :)

Well, in the end, the issue was solved pretty quickly. I thought it was going to be a huge problem, but in the end I just had to delete some things.

I completed a few more elements of the RPG in the last few months. I know I haven't posted around here in a while, mostly because I was busy with various thing other than the game. But I've still worked on it from time to time, adding a few more features, and I also received a new Battler artwork from the comic's creator! I think I'll make another version of the game available soon. I just need to finish a thing or two, after which I'll upload the new version. I will then start working on some side-quests.

Another quick update, only 4 days since the last post; I have made a new version available.

Version 1.08 adds about 15 minutes of gameplay, includes more characters, features a Creator Cameo of Baker, contains the cooking mechanic that I had so many issues adding previously, and ends with some freedom to visit the still relatively empty Paws' Den. As for the art, it features more Faces and pictures to make it feel closer to the comic... including a new Title image!

Version 1.09 will likely see the inclusion of a whole lot more people to talk to, more maps, and probably some side-quests. I'm aiming for 10 side-quests at the moment. After which, Version 1.10 should be the inclusion of Pages 60 to 88 of the comic, which will be a LOT of work... but nothing insurmountable. Just a lot of maps to design, a lot of places to create, a lot of new characters to take into consideration.

As usual, comments, advice and bug reports will be greatly appreciated. And if you decide to try the game... thank you. Thank you very much. As the first big RPG project I'm really invested in, that means a lot to hear that many people are playing it.

Edited by Iamabrawler

Quick announcement: I found a job about three weeks ago and have been pretty busy with it, I work night shifts at a gas station. I'm saying this because, as a result, I have less free time to work on my game (the messed-up sleep schedule that results from those shifts also doesn't help). But don't worry, I will try to continue my work on it whenever I have free time. The project is certainly not buried, although I am going to need some help in devising various possible side-quests.

Edited by Iamabrawler

The only update I've had time to do lately was some minor aesthetic things, correcting small mistakes in spelling mostly. I am still juggling with the possibility of changing the HUD a bit. Last but not least, I've decided to start looking around for sprite artists. If I could get at least the main character's sprites done, that would already be nice.

Edited by Iamabrawler