Nyuuchan353

Interest Check: Indie by Night Competition

Indie by Night Competition Poll   12 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want this competition?

• Yeah! Sounds awesome!
    • Nah, we have enough already.
    • Eh, me is indifferent.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

27 posts in this topic

Had an idea along the lines of Indie in a Week, but much shorter and more frequent. Will start up a poll later about this. Details are below:

-Create a Game within 24-48 hours.

-Special themes each time

-Held once or twice a month (I would organize each one)

-1 week sign-up period, followed by the contest and two or three days of judging

-Prizes to the top three (Standard competition stuff)

Edited by Nyuuchan353

I will be the dissenting voice, and for this reason. Indie in a Night, to me, is WAY too short to get anything meaningful done. A week is even a stretch, but that's just me. I bet you can find a few brave souls to partake in your madness, but I unfortunately can not despite my love for contests.

To be entirely honest, I don't think it would work;

- 24-48 hours is not a long period of time. Making assets and combing them isn't long enough - especially now that schools have started back and people have work.

- IiaW and the Duo Dev contests were "time consuming" enough. Iiaw is infrequent, so people can use this challenge as a "break" from their projects to work with something fresh. Duo Dev made you work in a pair and built teamwork and cooperation skills. Both of these are infrequent also. 

Having a contest that pops up alot would discourage people since time constraints and the fact some devs would find it more of an "obstacle" to their own games to bother competing in often. I'm assuming from alot of recent status updates also, not many people have free time (alot of people who enter the other contests mention they made there games in a few days instead of the full time period, so that tells you how tight some people are with free time).

Also, who would supply the prizes? Having two contests a month would require a fair amount of prizes (and money if your buying them). I understand donations are a thing, but I doubt you'll get alot of donations each time the contest is held.

I don't think it's a bad idea, per se, more realistically, the forums are quiet lately and we already have 2 challenging contests set up so having an "indie in a night" would be way to tight a time frame.

However, I have seen this challenge done bwteen some Youtubers (RPGM ones atleast) and they said they had fun. So this could work out, but if you do want to do it, I suggest also reaching out to other forums to ensure you have a wide audience before deciding. Some people may be only free at weekends and would find this fun. Some may be to busy though, and can't participate. Won't know until you try huh? :)

Edited by Takeo212

Yeah, the short time limit may be the problem there.

Week or even more than week was problematic already ~ many people had to drop out - 1-2 days will most likely deal more damage. (using an RPG joke)

I can see it fun though ~ such a short period of time is enough to make joke games, that don't focus on gameplay, but just on a funny plot. I like these games to be honest, because I love silly jokes and just having fun ~ there are tons of RPG maker games that try to be 'unique' but they aren't, due to lack of time or skills/team ~ joke games don't have that problem, as basically that's their feature - bringing fun without needing any skills as everybody can use textboxes and other thingies. That being said, I kept saying, that I'll make an Eric game someday since I started using RM - You all know how he became a meme for me :D ~ and... I didn't make one yet, but there are some Eric games out there and that's fun.

Speaking of joke games, I was thinking of making a contest to make a joke game, where the main focus would be the theme and humor, not the skills. Making the crazy out of nowhere story while keeping it logical would be a nice and fun challenge. :D

But I kinda don't want to throw another contest among others. ~I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work anyway.

So... To be honest I'm not sure of that, but you can always try and see what happens.

What about 72 hours? Still too short? I can make it regular once every other month, and stagger it between Indie in a Week contests.

Honestly, if it is meant to be small, like the example Rikifive gave, 24 hours might be doable. I've been in an 8 hour contest before and there were entries that you'd not think exist, games spanning into the multiple minutes. So, if it is meant to be small, and be an in-betweener of IIAW, it'd be fine by me! :)

Nyuuchan353 likes this

Yeah, they are meant to be smaller-scale projects (hence the once to twice a month frequency).

So I take it there would be less objection to this is it were every other month and in between Indie in a Week contests? If so, would anyone object to sign-ups starting at the beginning of the month? Or should it be aimed at the second to third weeks of the month?

Example:

Dec. 1st (Monday) - 12:01AM GMT: Sign-Ups start

Dec. 4th (Thursday) - 11:59PM GMT: Sign-Ups end

Dec. 5th (Friday) - 12:01AM GMT: Contest start

Dec. 7th (Sunday) - 11:59PM GMT: Contest end

Dec. 8th (Monday) - 12:01AM GMT: Judging start

Dec. 11th (Wednesday) - 11:59PM GMT: Judging end

Dec. 14th (Saturday) - Sometime during the day: Results Posted

Edited by Nyuuchan353

Seeing that example, I immediately imagined something like Indie in a Week(end) XD

I'm actually quite interested about this if this is going to be held in-between IiAWs, probably at the last weekend of the month?

I'll shoot for mid-month then. This will be started a week or two after Indie in a Week 5 ends, and we'll see where it goes from there.

The title is a play on "Fly by Night", which means 'quickly' (in essence). 72 hours is definitely quick.

Sign-ups for these will always start on a Monday. And since Jackus is possibly delaying...the first Indie by Night contest might be in mid October (Oct. 17th).

Edited by Nyuuchan353

Mmm no, even 72 hours is far too short.

Even a week is short enough lol

If you were going to do this, make sure to contact me so we can plan the dates so they don't clash lel

Sign-ups for these will always start on a Monday. And since Jackus is possibly delaying...the first Indie by Night contest might be in mid October (Oct. 17th).

aww come on if its gonna be mid-october its gotta be on my birthday(15th)

Uhh on a more serious note, there's like 5 hours to go until IIAW5 signups kick off.

If nothing comes up and I can focus, there won't be any delays lol

Edit: aaand something came up. LOL

Edited by Jackus ♪
Nyuuchan353 likes this

My only two finished games where made under 2 days each, and one of them is even halfway decent. :P

I'm apparently one the minority, but think this contest would be a fun idea.

Mmm no, even 72 hours is far too short.

Even a week is short enough lol

If you were going to do this, make sure to contact me so we can plan the dates so they don't clash lel

aww come on if its gonna be mid-october its gotta be on my birthday(15th)

Uhh on a more serious note, there's like 5 hours to go until IIAW5 signups kick off.

If nothing comes up and I can focus, there won't be any delays lol

Edit: aaand something came up. LOL

72 hours is short, and that's the challenge.

I could make a very decent demo-game in a week (granted with a couple of overnighters). In 72 hours, I could make an average one (barring any irl incidents, computer fires, etc) I'll probably put in the rules something to limit scope (like that total gameplay can't be more than XX minutes long, tops), and other adjustments to fit the scope of 72 hours. They aren't meant to be deep ones, as Riki pointed out, just quick, fun experiences.

72 hours is a challenge, and that's what the forum is for, right? I'm not expecting a huge turnout, maybe a small group of like five enthusiastic contestants for the first one, and if it goes well, we'll be on our way to the eventual "Indie by Night 5", lol.

Marsigne likes this

The title is a play on "Fly by Night", which means 'quickly' (in essence).

My interpretation of the phrase has always been "untrustworthy", 'they are a fly-by night operation and a little light makes them scatter.' Sooo...just keep that in mind. :P You don't want people thinking your contest is sketchy.

I do agree. Depending on when this contest pops up, it would be interesting. Having different time frames (IiaN = 1/2 days, IiaW = 1 week and Duo Dev = a month+pairs) wouldn't be bad.

As with every contest on here, it depends mostly on when your contest happens. It may be inconvenient for one person but good for another. The timeframe narrows down availability but the overall challenge is good. It prevents you lingering to long and makes you act on whim and instinct and adapt from there. IiaW and Duo Dev gave you a nice time frame but for some it also was to much time and began procrastinating.

I would be interesting in trying to participate depending on the deadline (work sucks).

On a side note; I'm still finishing my IiaW4 entry xD New PC and such makes developing fun.

I miss how ACE transfers data through Cloud Data but MV doesn't. Kinda sucks.

Nyuuchan353 likes this

I do agree. Depending on when this contest pops up, it would be interesting. Having different time frames (IiaN = 1/2 days, IiaW = 1 week and Duo Dev = a month+pairs) wouldn't be bad.

As with every contest on here, it depends mostly on when your contest happens. It may be inconvenient for one person but good for another. The timeframe narrows down availability but the overall challenge is good. It prevents you lingering to long and makes you act on whim and instinct and adapt from there. IiaW and Duo Dev gave you a nice time frame but for some it also was to much time and began procrastinating.

I would be interesting in trying to participate depending on the deadline (work sucks).

On a side note; I'm still finishing my IiaW4 entry xD New PC and such makes developing fun.

I miss how ACE transfers data through Cloud Data but MV doesn't. Kinda sucks.

I plan on holding this in October, with sign-ups starting on the 10th. The topic will be posted on the 9th or before, with all the pertinent details about the contest (rules and etc.) in it.

In terms of logistics I think a super short contest is fine if the users are confident with the program and the whole all-nighter thing would appeal to many. As others said, weekends are probably going to be your best bet due to common work/school hours; there is always going to be the problem of timezones though.

The problem that I see is most entries would just suck: There's no time to think of something interesting and no time to experiment with new methods.  Like, I could make a little 2D Souls-like in that time, sure, but only because I've recreated those mechanics in the past and would be comfortable redoing them... and even then, that's basically remaking someone else's game not thinking up one of my own. To make unique resources on top of that as well...? And, ofc, people's games are generally going to get worse as they get progressively more tired. Perhaps this contest becomes a little more viable with teams although its wouldn't really be as straightforward as 'four people = four times as many hours invested'. Adding a day into your schedule for a pre-production period might also give devs a chance to at least make the best use of their time.

In terms of logistics I think a super short contest is fine if the users are confident with the program and the whole all-nighter thing would appeal to many. As others said, weekends are probably going to be your best bet due to common work/school hours; there is always going to be the problem of timezones though.

The problem that I see is most entries would just suck: There's no time to think of something interesting and no time to experiment with new methods.  Like, I could make a little 2D Souls-like in that time, sure, but only because I've recreated those mechanics in the past and would be comfortable redoing them... and even then, that's basically remaking someone else's game not thinking up one of my own. To make unique resources on top of that as well...? And, ofc, people's games are generally going to get worse as they get progressively more tired. Perhaps this contest becomes a little more viable with teams although its wouldn't really be as straightforward as 'four people = four times as many hours invested'. Adding a day into your schedule for a pre-production period might also give devs a chance to at least make the best use of their time.

I'll probably post the topic a week prior (on the 3rd), and let everyone sign up, then when sign-ups close, there will be 4 days allotted to pre-production, then game-making starts. Does this sound about right?

What is preproduction? Does that not count towards the game dev?

NM, I swear to gods I AM literate....

Edited by philteredkhaos

I'll probably post the topic a week prior (on the 3rd), and let everyone sign up, then when sign-ups close, there will be 4 days allotted to pre-production, then game-making starts. Does this sound about right?

Pre-production is fine, but 4 days is a bit excessive; it's longer than the event itself. IMO I would give it a day. I too would like to know what pre-production exactly means.

Edited by Marsigne

I like the idea of 24/48 h game contest but I don't think it should be too regular. ( I like to imagine contests as special events not regular stuff ) . Maybe you should set up some stuff where anyone can setup their available weekens amd when you think,there is enough people,the contest happen

I'd have to say, any challenge shorter than a week is not enough time for the average person. Especially for someone like me, who has 2 kids and a full time job. You'd be hard-pressed to find enough people able to participate in a competition like that and make anything satisfactory. 

24 - 48hrs is not long enough, too little time, plus we all live in different time zones, British person wakes up is when murrican goes bed etc. 

like jacob and most others said even a week is too short.

PS: We all know you copied Jackus, do not deny it we all know the truth.

Edited by RoooodWorks
Seriel and Nyuuchan353 like this

Don't be afraid by time,Nirwanda and us won Duo Dev Challenge with a 24h game.

Another possibility would be to make a contest where everyone uses the same maps and assets . You would choose assets and make maps to fit a theme and when you publish them ,people have 24 or 48 h to make a game with only those

Edited by Shiggy

Pre-production is fine, but 4 days is a bit excessive; it's longer than the event itself. IMO I would give it a day. I too would like to know what pre-production exactly means.

Pre-production is basically planning, with maybe a little asset creation. Plan story and other details.

Don't be afraid by time,Nirwanda and us won Duo Dev Challenge with a 24h game.

Another possibility would be to make a contest where everyone uses the same maps and assets . You would choose assets and make maps to fit a theme and when you publish them ,people have 24 or 48 h to make a game with only those

So maybe like "Nothing other than basic RTP assets"?

I'd have to say, any challenge shorter than a week is not enough time for the average person. Especially for someone like me, who has 2 kids and a full time job. You'd be hard-pressed to find enough people able to participate in a competition like that and make anything satisfactory.

24 - 48hrs is not long enough, too little time, plus we all live in different time zones, British person wakes up is when murrican goes bed etc.

like jacob and most others said even a week is too short.

PS: We all know you copied Jackus, do not deny it we all know the truth.

I've extended the time frame by 24 hours, making it 72 hours (3 Days). The actual game-making will also be scheduled to fall on a weekend (Fri-Sun), when more people can actually make their games. I'll be accounting for time-zones too, when submission time comes around. No one will be arbitrarily locked out because they live in the UK (+5-8 hours from us here in the states). Pre-production will probably be 24 hours, with an extended sign-up period.

Edited by Jackus ♪
Merged posts
Seriel likes this