Seriel

Indie in a Week 5!

[POLL CLOSED. See the latest posts for the actual results]   20 members have voted

1. 1. [POLL CLOSED. See the latest posts for the actual results] Who will win the top spot?

• Nirwanda | Pathway - Desire
    • Chadzter01 | Dreams Beneath
  2. 2. [POLL CLOSED. See the latest posts for the actual results] Who will claim the prize for 5th place?

• RoooodWorks | Story of Chibs
    • Zielach | The Great Journey of the Brave Miner The Cave of the Unholy Treasure of the Undead King
    • Tsarmina | Soluna

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

322 posts in this topic

Okay there was a logo but I cba with effort and shiz, doesnt matter anyway

Indie in a Week 5

ANNIVERSARY EDITION!

Final contest results:
1st - Nirwanda: 34/60
2nd - Chadzter01: 34/60
3rd - Rikifive: 31/60
4th - RavenBlueIndigo: 30/60
5th - Zielach: 25/60

6th/7th - Tie: RoooodWorks/Tsarmina: 25/60
8th - Loriesquare: 23/60
9th/10th/11th - Tie: snakejoey55/philteredkhaos/ShinNessTen: 21/60
12th - Nyuuchan353: 19/60
13th/14th - Tie: Marsigne/Gurisha: 18/60
15th - Aletheos: 10/60
16th - thejaxinator: 9/60
17th - Exhydra: 8/60
18th - Argent_prinny: 3/60

Hey there! remember the other four contests? Well it's hard to believe, but it's already been a year since all this began!
In a celebration of that year of Game Dev, I've tried my hardest to make this the best contest yet!

A lot has changed compared to previous contests, so I highly recommend you check out the text below :)
This is not in a spoiler to emphasize the fact that you should read it all.

Basic Outline:
The main concept is simple. You must make a game. In a Week. By yourself. While you are allowed to have people playtest your game and give feedback, you must be the only one creating the actual content that goes into the game. More on this below.

Any Game Making engine is accepted, as long as the submitted game runs on Windows 7 and above. If your game is not an exe file, please include instructions on how to access/play it. You can even make a browser game, as long as it works on either Firefox or Chrome, again on Windows 7 or above. (If your web game requires a specific browser out of those two, please specify for the judges. Judges are not expected to use any other browser.)

Please don't think you have to cram a full-length saga into a week, your game can be of any length, however it is recommended to keep it below one hour (More details below)
Once the game making period is over, the games will be given a score out of 60 (More details below), and will be ranked according to their score.
The developers of the games that place 1st, 2nd and 3rd will receive a prize from the prize pool below. They will also be given a forum award to be displayed on their profile, which will be made soon.

Judges:
I'm covering Judges first, because this is the part where the differences from previous IIAWs come into play.
In past contests, I accepted anyone as a judge, but I have now realized how that is not as good of an idea as it seems.
As such, I will be reaching out to certain individuals asking if they would like to judge for the contest, and if they do then they will be judging. Simple.
If you still have an urge to be a judge anyway, please send me a PM outlining why you would make a good judge, and I may consider it.

The judges this time will also be semi-anonymous. That is, I will not be giving a list of judges, however if a judge wishes to tell people they are judging for the contest, that is perfectly okay. Because of this, there will be no judges list here, just this text.
And in case anyone is interested, yes I will be judging for the contest, as I always do, as well as overseeing the judging, and verifying that there is no false judging or bias.
All of this is in the hopes of eliminating unfair judging, and ensuring that your games get the scores they deserve~

Prizes:
Oh look, more differences with past contests.
This contest will have one big prize pool, which will not be completely depleted at the end of the contest, all prizes not taken will be carried over to IIAW6.

If you have anything spare that could be a prize (Like a steam key, any kind of gift or a free commission), please PM me. :)

Prize Pool:

• Writing commission by @Nyuuchan353
  • Beyond Reality (Steam Key)
  • Lost Planet 3 - Complete Pack (Steam Key)
  • Resident Evil Revelations (Steam Key)
  • Resident Evil Revelations 2 - Episode 1: Penal Colony (Steam Key)
  • Resident Evil 4 (Steam Key)
  • Resident Evil 6 (Steam Key)
  • Bionic Commando (Steam Key)
  • Bionic Commando: Rearmed (Steam Key)
  • DMC: Devil May Cry (Steam Key)
  • DMC: Devil May Cry: Vergils Downfall DLC (Steam Key)
  • Devil may Cry 4: Special Edition (Steam Key)
  • Remember Me (Steam Key)
  • Crazy Plant Shop (Steam Key)
  • Ludwig (Steam Key)
  • Sokobond (Steam Key)
  • Type:Rider (Steam Key)
  • The Baconing (Steam Key)
  • Lilly Looking Through (Steam Key)
  • Galcon Fusion (Steam Key)
  • Galcon Legends (Steam Key)

1st Place = Pick 3 prizes + Commission + Award icon.

2nd Pace = Pick 2 prizes + Award icon

3rd Place = Pick 1 prize + Award icon

4th Places = Pick 1 prize

5th Place = Pick 1 prize

You will need Steam installed to redeem the keys, and some DLCs may be merged with their respective games to prevent complications.

There will also be forum awards on offer for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place contestants.

Contestants:
Anyone can enter, provided you have a forum account (If not, make one!).
To sign up, post in this topic saying you want to enter in the contest. Please make your post clear, so I don't accidentally sign anyone up if they don't want me to.

Contestants (18/27 Submitted):

Note: If you change your forum display name during the contest, you will still be listed as your original name that you had when you signed up in the contest.

Dates:
Contest Information made public: Whenever this is posted.

Contest start and signups close: 11th September - 6pm GMT
Contest end and judging starts: 18th September - 6pm GMT

Judging finishes: Around 3 weeks after then game making ends. Depends if the judges submit scores early or not.
Results announcement: A few days after judging finishes, or earlier.

Indie in a Week 6: Nobody knows.

Scoring:
Let's keep this brief since i'm short for time.
Basically, unlike every other IIAW, there will be no theme or twist in Indie in a Week 5.
Some people need a theme to get going, in which case, just pick something random and go with it I guess [shrug]

The more in-depth scoring details will be released later. All I know at the moment is that it is in three categories, giving a total out of 60.

FAQs and Misc Details:
(Yeah uh most of this is copied from the last topic lol)

• Games with any issue upon start-up (missing files, broken intro scene), or have game-breaking bugs early on that prevent progress will be disqualified.
  • If said game-breaking bugs are found further into the game (close to the end/final phase), you will receive a fixed penalty of 10 points.
  • Other kinds of bugs which do not prevent progress will still incur penalty, depending on the severity of the bug.

Since the given time is just in a week, we'll be lenient on infrequent minor typos (and I ask that the judges do the same).

Repeated minor issues such as typos or wrong tiles will result in a few points taken away. Try not to be too harsh with this, judges.
Major issues which affect gameplay will also decrease from the total score. Judges, try to use your judgement with this.
A game breaking problem which prevents continuing will hold a fixed penalty of 10 points, with additional points maybe being lost in categories if content is missed.
Any issue upon loading the game (such as missing files or broken intro scenes) will mean you are disqualified!

Please remember to playtest your game all the way through to completion at least once before submitting it, to make sure it works as you intended!

<What about length? What's stopping someone from holding up judging with a 60 hour grinding masterpiece? And when does a judge stop judging?>

About length, the game can be realistically any length. However don't expect anything over an hour to be judged. A judge can stop when either they reach the end, are stopped by a bug, or reach 1 hour. They don't have to stop over an hour, but after that point they can quit any time without a reason.

For judges, If you believe a game is frustrating or unplayable you can also stop, but make sure to tell me your reason if you stop early. Just don't stop because it's a battle system you don't enjoy or anything like that.

<So I notice this is INDIE in a Week, does that mean you're not allowed teamwork? What about other people playtesting?>
Ah, this old topic, this one got much debate before. Basically, anyone actually working on the game (Creating maps, events and enemies etc...) is not allowed except for you and you alone.[/b] This is a one man army challenge, a team would throw it all off balance. You can brainstorm with other people, and bounce ideas off them, as long as the one doing everything is you.
As for others playtesting, sure. They can even give you bug reports and stuff too, as long as they don't actually fix the bugs in your project and send it back. You must be the one who does the actual editing and "work" of the game.

<So I've gotta do all of this, in a single week? I'll never make it, I'll end up procrastinating or getting caught up in real life situations  :(>
Ah, about that. I'm not looking for the next Final Fantasy, I don't expect a fully fledged RPG in a week, heck I don't even expect that in a month. But what I do want is your best shot. If you're short for time you could always cut it short. The games I like best in past Indie in a Week contests were short, sweet and concise. For a (terrible) example, check out Glory Quest which I made in a single hour!

And as for real life, I understand that sometimes (well, most of the time) these situations are unavoidable. My only advice is this, be prepared. If the contest dates just happened to land on the days where you have to do something important, I apologize. But, we can't really do anything about that once the dates have been decided.

You should have something ready, don't wait until the last minute to submit. Try to get it in at the very least a few hours beforehand. You don't' need to squeeze out every second of game development, some of the best games for previous IIAW contests were submitted days before the deadline.

Remember, you could always update your game as long as it's still in the game-making period.
However, updating/changing your game link via post editing is against the rules, and you will be disqualified if you are caught doing it.
Update the file, keep the link.

<What resources can I use?>
You can use any public resources, and even commissions (Rule changed 08/09/2016) as long as you have the author/artists permission to use it in a contest. Despite the lack of cash prizes, some may consider a contest like this to be commercial use, so tread carefully.
Resources ripped from other games are not allowed, since they're illegal.

<Can I make my own resources for my game before the contest starts?>
As for your resources, anything made before the contest is fair game, you can use any of it since you obviously have your own permission.
However, if you make the resources with the intention to use it for your game that will be submitted for this contest, you cannot use it. Anything that you make solely for your contest game before the contest starts is not allowed. You would be effectively be "working" on your game for more than a week.

Sure, you can say you intended to use it for another game, and this just happened to come by. If that's the truth, okay.

But if you started to make things after this topic was posted and before the contest starts with the intention of using it in your contest game later... Well, we can't stop you. Nor can we read your intentions and know the truth. But keep in mind that you'll be cheating.

<Does that mean I can't think up of concepts/story for my game?!>
You can, don't worry. (We can't stop you from thinking!)

Tips:
- Don't spend days thinking up of the idea. You can start with a simple one and go from there. Just start, and you might even get ideas more easily!
- Start small. Don't plan too much features. We're not expecting a full length game. In fact, we're expecting very short games. Games that can be made in a week.
- Having more content in your game is important, so focus on that. Again, don't spend too much time thinking what's the "absolute best" (or something like that) you can fit in before you even do it/anything.
- If you're running out of time, don't be afraid to cut it short and wrap it up quickly! A game that feels complete is better than a game that feels like an unfinished demo.
- "Most importantly... don't procrastinate!" ~ Eien

Outro:
Yo, this topic was kinda rushed, because of life and fun stuff. 
If you have any issues of questions about the rules, please reply in this topic. Usually I never minded before, but this time please don't PM me unless you have steam keys to give or want to be a judge.

I almost definitely missed something, so let me know. I will also elaborate more closer to the time.
Thank your for understanding, sorry for any inconvenience and happy game making! :lol:

Yay~! Finally.

Skipped out on IIAW4 because I'd only had RPG Maker VX Ace for only like 2 months, lol.

But I'm finally ready to get this started!

Sign me up, Jackus.

Seriel likes this

Sign me up!

I'll make

Eric Wright: VXAce Attourney

Eric Fantasy

Resident Eric

SMT: Digital Eric Saga

Ericmon: Eric Version

Eric May Cry

Eric Raider

Eric Hawk's Pro Handaxer

Eric Art Online

My Little Eric

To the Eric

Ericman

Eric Knight

Child of Eric

Ericcraft

Call of Eric

Ericfield

The Last of Eric

I don't know... we'll see. x3

Sign me up!

I'll make

Eric Wright: VXAce Attourney

Eric Fantasy

Resident Eric

SMT: Digital Eric Saga

Ericmon: Eric Version

Eric May Cry

Eric Raider

Eric Hawk's Pro Handaxer

Eric Art Online

My Little Eric

To the Eric

Ericman

Eric Knight

Child of Eric

Ericcraft

Call of Eric

Ericfield

The Last of Eric

I don't know... we'll see. x3

Howabout "Eric to the Future"?

Kirimash, Rikifive and Nirwanda like this

Howabout "Eric to the Future"?

Hmmmm.. I don't know. x3

Believe me or not, but I'm really wondering on Eric Wright: VXAce Attourney. I'm so tempted to do that.

Other than that, I'm thinking of some Eric RPG with silly mechanics XD

Nirwanda and Alphys Hedge like this

The Eric-stocrats!

I want in... Put me in, coach! but wait... 8 days from now (9/11) is when the contest starts? I have a whole week to make arrangements with real life before I can lose myself to the game for a week? Hurray!

Edited by philteredkhaos
Seriel likes this

I actually prefer the anonymous judges. It means we can't appease certain people and have to make a general game to appease everyone (and it adds mystery~)

I was wanting to join but worried about the theme. Since there is no theme, I'm in! I already have a general idea so I hope I can get it running this time around :) (and dropbox doesn't hate me this time either...)

Sign me up~

Seriel and Jeanne d'Ys like this

Count me in!

I've no guarantee, but I'll try my best to finish my game anyway...

Seriel likes this

Wait, I actually want to join somehow. But when you said make the game By yourself, this means that no using of other's art assets and sound assets as well as scripts from other people, correct?

Seriel likes this

Wait, I actually want to join somehow. But when you said make the game By yourself, this means that no using of other's art assets and sound assets as well as scripts from other people, correct?

You may use publicly available resources in your project.

As well as anything not made specifically for the contest.

If I make some code and give a link to an online terminal that can run it,can it count as an entry ? I may have more free time than I thought at first but I don't have access to my own computer so I can't make a game with RPG maker. But I would like to try making some sort of small game with no graphics,that could be interesting ... . 

If I make some code and give a link to an online terminal that can run it,can it count as an entry ? I may have more free time than I thought at first but I don't have access to my own computer so I can't make a game with RPG maker. But I would like to try making some sort of small game with no graphics,that could be interesting ... . 

Like I said in the topic, as long as the resulting "program" runs on Windows then anything goes.

As far as web goes, I think I said as long as it works on Firefox or Chrome it's good.

ok count me in then . Worse case scenario ,I won't publish anything but i want to be able to participate if i happen to have the time to do so

Seriel likes this

It's better to try and fail than to not try at all and miss out on an opportunity for success~

Added everyone who's asked to the contestants list. If you want to be a judge, PM me.

Good luck to you all~ ;)

Shiggy likes this