• Announcements

• RagingHobo

Forum Upgraded!   07/17/2017

We have successfully upgraded our forum to the latest version! Some things have moved around but don't worry everything is still there, we still need to find updated versions of the plugins we were using previously to restore everything to the way it was. There will be a running topic in the Feedback and Support in case you notice something wrong. Before you do so please clear your browser cache and close your browser completely to rule out a caching issue. Thank you for your patience during the outage and while we get everything back to 150%  
Seriel

Indie in a Week 5!

[POLL CLOSED. See the latest posts for the actual results]   20 members have voted

1. 1. [POLL CLOSED. See the latest posts for the actual results] Who will win the top spot?

• Nirwanda | Pathway - Desire
    • Chadzter01 | Dreams Beneath
  2. 2. [POLL CLOSED. See the latest posts for the actual results] Who will claim the prize for 5th place?

• RoooodWorks | Story of Chibs
    • Zielach | The Great Journey of the Brave Miner The Cave of the Unholy Treasure of the Undead King
    • Tsarmina | Soluna

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

322 posts in this topic

I wanna get in on this! I'm in a total slump and I need inspiration XD So let's make a game in a week!

(This is not a good idea)

(Doing it anyway)

Best Idea ever, i am joining too, i rarely join but will now cos I will have lots of time for 6 months :P

Seriel likes this

'Kay so I was looking forward to this to give me a chance to break out of the game-dev-block I've been feeling on my main project for ages.

Also to use some ideas I've gotten from my derping around with gaming when I should be doing dev stuff.

...basically, sign me up. I'm interested~ (Here's hoping I actually finish a thing. =_=)

Count me in!

So, we begin making the projects now, or a week since this was posted?

Dates:

Contest Information made public: Whenever this is posted.

Contest start and signups close: 11th September - 6pm GMT

Contest end and judging starts: 18th September - 6pm GMT

Judging finishes: Around 3 weeks after then game making ends. Depends if the judges submit scores early or not.

Results announcement: A few days after judging finishes, or earlier.

Indie in a Week 6: Nobody knows.

11th September... Aw, crap. Won't stop me, tho. We need to use resources avaiable for commercial use, due to the prizes, right?

You don't need to use commercial resources, u can use free ones so long as they are not illegal. :)

11th September... Aw, crap. Won't stop me, tho. We need to use resources avaiable for commercial use, due to the prizes, right?

Actually, yes.

This was the issue in the last contest;

"Due to this contest containing prizes, it is considered commercial since you gain from it."

So as far as I am aware, you can only use resources that can be used within a commercial project. Any resources used that are "non-commercial" are not allowed.

As long as you have permission to use them, you'r fine. If your using non-commercial resources, you need to ask permission to use them in a contest containing prizes.

I need Jackus or Eien to confirm that however.

Edited by Takeo212
Seriel likes this

You don't need to use commercial resources, u can use free ones so long as they are not illegal. :)

That's not what happened last time.

Wonder how many will finish this time? Wasn't the record 13 entries?

Indie in a Week 4 surpassed it.

I meant submitted entries. IIAW4 was 17 entered, 13 submitted (1 DQ).

Wait... I cant use resources that dont allow for commercial use?

If i have a sprite that is ok for noncommercial, but for commercial use, then I can not use it?

If i have a sprite that is ok for noncommercial, but for commercial use, then I can not use it?

It's actually the opposite. You can't use resources that are for non-commercial projects only.

@_@ quit confusing everyone, Kirimash. Please.

Any assets you have the rights to are valid for use in the competition. If they are made by you, or are public resources, you can use them. You cannot commission resources to be made for the contest, as that would mean someone else working on the project with you.

Seriel likes this

It's actually the opposite. You can't use resources that are for non-commercial projects only.

What.

@_@ quit confusing everyone, Kirimash. Please.

Any assets you have the rights to are valid for use in the competition. If they are made by you, or are public resources, you can use them. You cannot commission resources to be made for the contest, as that would mean someone else working on the project with you.

That^

Nyuuchan353 and Jeanne d'Ys like this

For clarity, correct me if I'm wrong:

As long as the original creator stated that it's fine for commercial or noncommercial purposes, it can be used.

If it needs permission from the creators to be used for commercial purposes, then you'll need to ask for it.

If it can't be used for commercial project, then you can't use it.

Regarding commissions, I thought the main page says it can be used but not recommended? (And if the creator knows it's the contest season, they'll probably not gonna finish it now for obvious reason XD /slapped)

Seriel likes this

For clarity, correct me if I'm wrong:

As long as the original creator stated that it's fine for commercial or noncommercial purposes, it can be used.

If it needs permission from the creators to be used for commercial purposes, then you'll need to ask for it.

If it can't be used for commercial project, then you can't use it.

Correct.

For the last one, you may ask the creator if they are okay with the resources being used in the contest. Some artists consider a contest to be commercial, and some don't.

Regarding commissions, I thought the main page says it can be used but not recommended? (And if the creator knows it's the contest season, they'll probably not gonna finish it now for obvious reason XD /slapped)

It's not recommended because you shouldn't waste your hard-earned moneyz on a contest that lasts a week. Plus commissions take a while.

Jeanne d'Ys likes this

Correct.

For the last one, you may ask the creator if they are okay with the resources being used in the contest. Some artists consider a contest to be commercial, and some don't.

It's not recommended because you shouldn't waste your hard-earned moneyz on a contest that lasts a week. Plus commissions take a while.

Thanks for the clarification!

Agreed. My friend is an artist in dA, and as far as I know, she needs to take a few days to finish a drawing, which isn't worth it for a pretty short contest like this, especially if the customer ordered more than one stuff.

So, I am usually the guy who asks the most obscure, niche kind of clarification on rules, but I have to know: If I start writing ideas down for the game, does that qualify as working on it? I have a few ideas I don't want to be lost in the Maelstrom, but if thats a violation, I am sure more will churn up.