Procrastimancer

• Ace Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:18 AM

Pathway: Desire+:

Image1.png

Abstract: A wanderer has to find her way out of a cave.
Genre: Fantasy, Dungeon crawler
Average Play Time: 1:30 / 2 hours
Game Progression: Finished!

Story / Setting / Purpose:

During Indie in a week V, I created what I thought would be a fun and simple dungeon crawler. Unfortunately, not enough playtesting led it to be too difficult and not very enjoyable at all. So I had to rebalance it. This rebalance has come out somewhat on the easy side, but I can live with that, maybe with some feedback, I can reach the exact balance.

Alone and afraid Erika finds herself trapped in a mysterious cavern where inscrutable forces pull at her and danger lurks at every corner. Can you help her survive the hordes of monsters standing between her and the truth?

Character Bios:

Erika:

image.png

Little is known of this wanderer, she's very confident on her own skills and more than a little naive, but she is determined to find the truth even if it costs her her life. Will her desire be enough carry her through this dark pathway?

A pure melee character, Erika learns only one magical skill and a few support ones she's your tank and she can take the punishment as well as she can deal it.

Valda:

image.png

A traveling priestess Who has also found herself trapped in the cavern. Sarcastic and somewhat violent, she's still an steadfast ally.

With few and far between offensive skills, despite her personality, Valda is mostly a support character. It falls on her shoulders to keep the team alive and healthy and she's well equipped for it.

Faith:

image.png

A mage and scholar from the Lyseria university, Faith unlike our two previous characters has been exploring the caves out of her own free will. Untrusting and with a sharp tongue Faith has some trouble fitting in your party; but her need for survival is stronger than her mistrust... for now.

Taking advantage of elemental weaknesses (most enemies have them *wink, wink*) Faith is the most offensive minded character of the party, sadly she's sorely lacking in the defense department making her fall to enemy attacks and strong breezes alike. Be sure to keep her alive!

Credits:

Scripts:
Yanfly
Modern Algebra
Tsukihime
Fomar
Craze
Wavelength

Redoo

Great Red Spirit

Music:
Teknoaxe

Evan King

Rolemusic

Windowskin:
Retro Halloween tileset

SFX:

SubspaceAudio

Graphics:

Enterbrain

Crazy_leen

Lannea Zimmerman

Nightblade
Nirwanda

Screenshots:

image.png

Treasure chests, goblins... adventure!

image.png

No time to pray when your life is in danger!

image.png

This forest is not at the edge of the world.

Features:
- Character customization and many diverse skills to suit your playstyle

- Mystery based plot

- Custom graphics

Download:
Without RTP (45 mb): http://www.mediafire... 1.2 NO RTP.exe

With RTP (231mb): http://www.mediafire...ire 1.2 RTP.exe

Known Issues:
If you are in the skill learn screen and switch party members with q or w, the new party member's skill menu will still feature the previous one's skillset Trying to learn anything will crash the game. Just move your cursor up or down to fix this.

You can also nab for yourself the game graphics, here if you want: http://www.rpgmakerc...esire-resources

Edited by Nirwanda, 22 December 2016 - 04:12 AM.

#2 Rikifive

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness

• Global Moderators
  • 5,543 posts
  • LocationEquestria First Language - Polish           Game Maker & Ace User                                  
  • RM Skill - Game Developer

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:42 AM

I like the style and whatsoever. It is really nicely done. :3

Looks interesting!!

I may give it a try this weekend when I'll find some time. ^^

I believe I can :fly:.

LraXqtS.png

Want to see SCIENCE in RPG Maker VX Ace? Try these games:

Super Coolstory Bros. | Chain ReactionGood VS Evil: The Fateful CurseFrozen DreamEric Chronicles - Adventure to The Starting Position

#3 Nirwanda

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer

• Ace Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:28 PM

Lol, thanks riki, i hope you like it. It is a very small game.

#4 Pringlesguy

Pringlesguy

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 188 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 04 October 2016 - 12:43 PM

I liked everything but how easy it was.

#5 Nirwanda

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer

• Ace Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 04 October 2016 - 01:20 PM

Lol I was afraid I might have made it too easy. Thanks a lot for checking it out! :)

Edited by Nirwanda, 04 October 2016 - 01:20 PM.

#6 Pringlesguy

Pringlesguy

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 188 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 08 October 2016 - 04:21 AM

No biggie, I'll try and finish it asap to see if I can see any adjustments needed in difficulty adjustments.

#7 Nirwanda

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer

• Ace Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:58 AM

Ok, keep me posted. ;)

#8 Pringlesguy

Pringlesguy

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 188 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 26 October 2016 - 12:29 AM

By chance do you have the Original copy I can compare?

Edited by Pringlesguy, 26 October 2016 - 12:29 AM.

#9 Nirwanda

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer

• Ace Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 26 October 2016 - 01:39 AM

It won't be a fun expoerience... but, sure, here you go: http://www.mediafire...ed battlers.rar

The "fixed battlers" thing refers to the factthat i was unknowingly used battlers that were not usable for commercial purpouses (for example a contest) so I had to hastily replace them. During the following week I made my own battlers to round out the game, which are the ones you fought.

#10 Kyrymash

Kyrymash

Lucina

• Ace Member
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPortugal Language: Portuguese =======[Skills]======= >Writing: ★★★★☆ >Mapping: ★★☆☆☆ >Spriting: ★☆☆☆☆ >Scripting: ☆☆☆☆☆ ======[RPG Maker]====== Experience: 10 Months Primarily Uses: RMVXAce
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 31 October 2016 - 11:58 AM

I love the art style of this game. Definetely going to try it!

2rxk2fd.jpg

In Development

282izyr.png

My main game (Click the 1st picture above to visit the game's page on GameJolt). If you want, you can help me with my game. Anyone can. I recommend stopping by GameJolt. Visit the website for more info. : http://crystals-of-e...nts.weebly.com/ Or the Discord server: https://discord.gg/74azNT6

If you want to support my other game, that it's here on RPG Maker Central Forums, here's the banner:

Spoiler

14t2b1z.png

[Click this banner to check my resources]

All the games I support so far:

Spoiler

Random stuff:
Spoiler

#11 Nirwanda

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer

• Ace Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 31 October 2016 - 01:06 PM

Thank you! I hope you enjoy it! :)

#12 Rikifive

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness

• Global Moderators
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 07:06 PM

Huh that's weird. I thought I was replying when I completed the game ~ or was that somewhere else...?

Aaaaanyway, that's a decent little game I must admit.

I liked the art ~ style and how it was playing together with the music. It's really nicely made considering, that it was made really quick.

From what I know, you did most of the graphics, right? Then they're awesome! x3

There's one thing that looked kiiiiinda funny - skill animations.

While everything is pixelated, the skill animations weren't. These were just RTP animations in black'n'white. It's not a big issue and I know there wasn't much time available, but perhaps that would be a nice improvement in future to make these skills .. well actually pixelated ~ not kinda-blurry.

Story-wise ~  I am.. not... sure what exactly was happening there.. I was kinda confused, but it wasn't bad. =P

Generally it was a really 'cool' game and I enjoyed playing it! :3

LraXqtS.png

Super Coolstory Bros. | Chain ReactionGood VS Evil: The Fateful CurseFrozen DreamEric Chronicles - Adventure to The Starting Position

#13 Nirwanda

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer

• Ace Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:13 AM

Huh that's weird. I thought I was replying when I completed the game ~ or was that somewhere else...?

Aaaaanyway, that's a decent little game I must admit.

I liked the art ~ style and how it was playing together with the music. It's really nicely made considering, that it was made really quick.

From what I know, you did most of the graphics, right? Then they're awesome! x3

There's one thing that looked kiiiiinda funny - skill animations.

While everything is pixelated, the skill animations weren't. These were just RTP animations in black'n'white. It's not a big issue and I know there wasn't much time available, but perhaps that would be a nice improvement in future to make these skills .. well actually pixelated ~ not kinda-blurry.

Story-wise ~  I am.. not... sure what exactly was happening there.. I was kinda confused, but it wasn't bad. =P

Generally it was a really 'cool' game and I enjoyed playing it! :3

Better late than never, right?:P

Yeah I did all the graphics except the animations and the windowskin. I'm really proud of them. :)

I don't know which version you played but for the lastest one I downloaded some pixelated version of the rtp animations someone made. Then again, they're kind of blurry so maybe that's what you're talking about.

Sorry about the story, I know it's the weakest part of the game. :/

Thanks a lot for playing my game Riki! :)

#14 Rikifive

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness

• Global Moderators
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:16 AM

Ooooh then you should be proud of them indeed! Great work! :3

Mhm, as I thought. I've noticed, that they're pixelated edits of RTP. They aren't that bad, but they kinda don't match the style of the environment. They're too smooth and there's too much of variety with their opacity. Characters, tiles and such have clearly visible pixels without any opacity variety, where the skill animations have barely visible pixels as these are just down-scaled RTP animations. I think that making them simpler would look much better.

As for the story - I think it's just because the game is short. It wasn't bad, everything was just going too quickly I think. :P But again, that's understandable, considering the time limit you had. ^^

YAY! :3

LraXqtS.png

#15 Tarq

Tarq

Class: Old Man

• Global Moderators
  • 720 posts
  • LocationUK
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:35 AM

I liked the plot (the whole deity warfare, vessels of the gods stuff), never really understood the 'desire' motif. Then again, I cant beat the last boss.

Like someone said above; the game is mostly too easy. Its not so bad that the cb is super easy but avoiding it entirely is even easier... then the last boss happens D:

I thought the previous vessel in the last boss was a particularly cool touch; if you ever work on this again it could be good to add a couple more in so that it shows the gods have been trying this a lot.

(This won GotM btw if you'd like me to do an article with you; been having a hard time thinking up questions though)

Here's an online 'folio of all my gaming projects: http://doubleplusgoo...blogspot.co.uk/

The best place to get the latest news, builds, etc.

#16 Nirwanda

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer

• Ace Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:51 AM

I liked the plot (the whole deity warfare, vessels of the gods stuff), never really understood the 'desire' motif. Then again, I cant beat the last boss.

Like someone said above; the game is mostly too easy. Its not so bad that the cb is super easy but avoiding it entirely is even easier... then the last boss happens D:

I thought the previous vessel in the last boss was a particularly cool touch; if you ever work on this again it could be good to add a couple more in so that it shows the gods have been trying this a lot.

(This won GotM btw if you'd like me to do an article with you; been having a hard time thinking up questions though)

Lol, I have to be honest: I picked the name at random before even coming out with the game's plot. So don't think too deeply about it. If anything it represents Erika's desire for freedom.

If you'd like to question me that would be really cool (even if a little embarrasing :P). If you're looking for ideas you could try any of my other games they're all about 1-1:30 hs long so it wouldn't take that much. Honestly lately I've only been posting on the forums for the contests, so that's all can think of. Sorry.

Also,  a million thanks for playing. It makes me really happy you did. :)

Edited by Nirwanda, 08 November 2016 - 06:51 AM.

#17 raymi100

raymi100

♥Pikachu♥

• Ace Member
  • 388 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, IL

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:46 AM

This game is tons of fun! I'm having a blast with it. It took me a while to beat most of the monsters, and the last boss especially, I've been playing for weeks and I can't defeat it :( However, I love the graphics, the music, and how nearly everything is custom! You did a great job with this game, Nir, you should be very proud~ 

Hi! I'm Raymi! :)

#RIPBuddy

12/10/07 - 9/25/16

RPG Quiz Results:

Spoiler

Projects I support:

Spoiler

Resources/People I support:

Spoiler

qROLgzi.png

Come visit my windowskins thread in the Resource Showcase!

Also, come check out my windowskin shop :)

#18 Tarq

Tarq

Class: Old Man

• Global Moderators
  • 720 posts
  • LocationUK
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 11 November 2016 - 01:39 PM

@raymi: Vitalia's tough. Nirwanda gave me some good advice; levelling crits & evade.

Choosing when to kill off each of them also helps (hint: you can stop the Erika clone from absorbing Vitalia's damage by stunning it).

Here's an online 'folio of all my gaming projects: http://doubleplusgoo...blogspot.co.uk/

The best place to get the latest news, builds, etc.

#19 Nirwanda

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer

• Ace Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 12 November 2016 - 04:58 AM

Thank you so much Raymi. It makes me very happy you liked it. You're such a flatterer too. :P

Thanks for your suggestions to her Tarq, you're pretty cool. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dungeon crawler, short game, customizable characters, mystery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users