Seriel

Interest check: Indie in a Month?

Answer please :P   24 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good idea?

• Sure! Sounds great :D
    • Nope, sounds like a bad idea.
    • What's up with all these contests all of a sudden?!
    • Stick to shorter contests, it's easier for us ;)
    • I don't really care to be honest.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

29 posts in this topic

okok, I bet you all we'rent expecting me to post this were you? :P

But alas, here we are.

I've noticed a lot of month-long contests happening around (not these forums) so I was wondering what would happen if we were to do one like IIAW, but in a month?
The rules and things would be the same, just with a month instead of a week to spice things up.

Since this is an interest check and isn't fully planned yet, there is no estimated date, probably around the time IIAW6 should be starting though. (month or two maybe)

So that's that, i'd be more than happy to answer any and all questions you have,

Thanks! ^u^

Loriesquare likes this

Hmm...

- Indie In A Week

- Indie In A Month

- Indie By Night

- Duo Dev

I feel overwhelmed. We literally have a contest for each reasonable scope.

Not that I would mind it. I'm horrible at making a game in a week (darn you adult responsibilities!) but a month could make alot of people to lazy. Of course, that depends on the dev and not the contest itself.

I'm supportive of it - just not sure how all these contests are gonna sync up.

so, basically IGMC? kek

In terms of length, yeah. The rest would be the same as IIAW though, so it would be different.

in my opinion there would be better games, but maybe its too much time¿ the rewards should be better then¿ xd

probably indie in a pair of weeks XD

For sure, you can have more and better prizes.

Also Indie in a Fortnight could work buuut...

Hmm...

- Indie In A Week

- Indie In A Month

- Indie By Night

- Duo Dev

I feel overwhelmed. We literally have a contest for each reasonable scope.

Not that I would mind it. I'm horrible at making a game in a week (darn you adult responsibilities!) but a month could make alot of people to lazy. Of course, that depends on the dev and not the contest itself.

I'm supportive of it - just not sure how all these contests are gonna sync up.

tfw I only own/will own two of the contests, kek

The timings of them are done fairly well, the creators of both Duo Dev and Indie by Night had contacted me and planned the timings around IIAWs, so I will make sure to do the same and contact myself to plan the timings around other contests :)

Takeo212, Retnuh and Loriesquare like this

Ah, then that's convenient~

I see nothing wrong with it. Each person as different availability, so having a variety of timescales sounds good actually.

If someone has a week free during IIAW, then coolios. Got alot going on that month, then IIAM may provide you more time to work on a project~

As long as we don't get two contests on at the same time, I see no negatives to having an extra option/challenge ^^

Seriel and Loriesquare like this

I'd participate. I'm probably one of the few who didn't procrastinate during IIAW5 (possibly :P). A month-long time-frame definitely opens up for ALOT of procrastination (I'm looking at you, Eien. :P), but is good for those who want the challenge of staying focused.

Retnuh, Seriel and Loriesquare like this

I'm not really in favor of it, I think we have so many competitions that we can just let them run on their own for a while ^^; they're cool and all but throwing them one after another makes it pretty convoluted. Also a month tends to be perceived as a fairly long time but it's also pretty short irl, I think a month would end up with some trouble between developers. :< The week ones are pretty good (especially because people get breaks inbetween).

Retnuh, Loriesquare and Seriel like this

I'm for it.

I don't really think there can be 'too many' competitions on; people aren't obligated to enter every one. If someone wants to focus on they're actual projects then i think its good they can skip some and its more likely there'll be one running when they want a break again.

If this is going to be more like IGMC, what will the rules be regarding teams and other engines?

Seriel and Loriesquare like this

I support it, actually. Just make sure that the contest time/period sync well with the other contests in the site, and we're good to go.

Also, I have good feeling while reading this thread and typing this comment, nothing outstanding or specific in particular, but I'm just gonna type it as a good luck charm of some sort. Good luck!

Edited by Naoto Akashosu
Loriesquare and Seriel like this

I don't find the idea appealing to me , contests should be short in my opinion. Two weeks for duo dev is my upperlimit and even then ,I would prefer it to be one week. But hey to each its own taste. If you want  to orgnaise it and people want to participate go for it.

Seriel likes this

If this is going to be more like IGMC, what will the rules be regarding teams and other engines?

Wouldn't it be solo developing? 

I may be wrong, but wasn't Duo Dev a month deadline due to team comunications and such, so having another team based contest for a month seems, eh.

Besides, if teams were optional, then solo devs may be discouraged or "out manned" if it was an either or situation.

Also, on a similar topic;

I'm completely all for different game engines being used (yay, variety!) but isn't it against the site rules to post/share anything that isn't RPGM related? Wouldn't this same rule apply to contests? 

Edited by Takeo212

Duo Dev was a fortnight (although I think it ran for a few days extra).

If the purpose of an extended duration is to improve the quality of the games made then increasing the manpower is another way to do so. And, while allowing teams doesn't exclude solo devs the reverse is not true.

But hey, I'm bias; after seeing something Sughayyer said a while back I'd like to see more people use this place as a gathering point to work together rather than a dumping ground for solo projects.

That's a good point about other engines. Perhaps it could be that the projects are added temporarily for the sake of judging and then removed, although it may be best to just exclude them. It's not my call though.

Seriel likes this

Oh. Then my bad about the Duo Dev deadline. I suppose the pre-contest communication/planning made it feel longer, along with the extension haha. (still bummed I had to cancel though... Our team still had the best name~)

Either way, I see no harm in extra contests since you don't have to enter.

However, seeing new contests pop up, I see a domino effect happening (similar to how the forums games happened, with one person making a topic, then another making a similar topic, and so fourth).

I would say that after this, I don't think we need another contest. Atleast nothing such as "make a game in x days/weeks/months". It would be nice to have more variety between the contests to be honest, but I don't disapprove.

I'm not sure if our small-ish community here can fund all these contests with prizes though >.< *Humble Bundle is love*

Edited by Takeo212
Loriesquare likes this

I would say that after this, I don't think we need another contest. Atleast nothing such as "make a game in x days/weeks/months". It would be nice to have more variety between the contests to be honest, but I don't disapprove.

I agree, where are the art contests and stuff?

I only remember that one pixel art contest I participated in long ago. It was fun. :P

Takeo212 and Seriel like this

I agree, where are the art contests and stuff?

I only remember that one pixel art contest I participated in long ago. It was fun. :P

This I agree with actually.

I haven't drawn for a while, so a contest sounds like a nice change of pace. I'm sure Tsarmina would agree to :P

To be fait though, on a siet like this - since not alot of people are artists (we consist of alot of eventers and scripters for instance), having an art-only contest seems unfair.

Upon saying that;..

- Game Contests = Coders and Eventers

- Art Contests = Pixel Artists and CG Artists

- Music Contest = Composers and Sound Effect Composers

I think that sums up the main grounds.

C'mon peeps, we need more variety! (but oh gosh, that means even more contests... I think we may need a new section entirely at this rate. Mod/Admin approved contest section haha)

Seriel and Jeanne d'Ys like this

Well part of the reason i'm pumping out IIAWs is to get everone motivated.

Come on, more contests! We've got more than enough people to make it fun, so why not? xD

I have a fairly big prize pool for future contests, if you want to make a contest but lack the prizes, I could probably donate some from my pool.

I can only manage game making contests, let's see some more variety here :P

I'd participate. I'm probably one of the few who didn't procrastinate during IIAW5 (possibly :P). A month-long time-frame definitely opens up for ALOT of procrastination (I'm looking at you, Eien. :P), but is good for those who want the challenge of staying focused.

I didn't procrastinate, I just bit off more than I could chew. *face palm*

I would be VERY interested in a month long contest. The 1 week thing was just too short for me. I almost had a nervous breakdown before I said "F it! It's being pushed out in it's current form! (I lost my internet connection and had to upload a day early while I was at the library.) I feel embarrassed by my submission.

Well part of the reason i'm pumping out IIAWs is to get everone motivated.

Come on, more contests! We've got more than enough people to make it fun, so why not? xD

I have a fairly big prize pool for future contests, if you want to make a contest but lack the prizes, I could probably donate some from my pool.

I can only manage game making contests, let's see some more variety here :P

I would be all for hosting an art contest, but I think we need more than steam games to distribute to be honest :P

If noone does one in the future, I'll see what I can do.

As for a musical contest for composers. That is definitely not my area of expertise.

I agree though. IiaW is quite a hype when it's coming around, so I 100% support it. It's really nice seeing people take a break from there main games and just having fun and experimenting~

Loriesquare likes this

I would actually be down with this. I´ve had an interactive story based prologue floating around my around head recently.

Edited by lianderson