Photo

Interest check: Indie in a Month?

indie interest check prizes iiaw iiam ~jackus ~seriel

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

Poll: Answer please :P (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Is this a good idea?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Seriel

Seriel

Living a lie~

• Global Moderators
  • 1,291 posts
  • LocationNorth Wales, UK
  • RM Skill - Game Developer

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:39 PM

okok, I bet you all we'rent expecting me to post this were you? :P

But alas, here we are.

I've noticed a lot of month-long contests happening around (not these forums) so I was wondering what would happen if we were to do one like IIAW, but in a month?
The rules and things would be the same, just with a month instead of a week to spice things up.

Since this is an interest check and isn't fully planned yet, there is no estimated date, probably around the time IIAW6 should be starting though. (month or two maybe)

So that's that, i'd be more than happy to answer any and all questions you have,

Thanks! ^u^

#2 RoooodWorks

RoooodWorks

Commander Chibae of the Citadel

• Ace Member
  • 173 posts
  • LocationHellllll
  • RM Skill - Jack of All Trades

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:43 PM

yea i would totally like to see some amazing games in a month (not saying I might be part of it)

ZEZo2sN.png

#3 Retnuh

Retnuh

Creator of Flaming Leaf Games

• Ace Member
  • 485 posts
  • Locationnunya buisness

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:47 PM

so, basically IGMC? kek

76561198247666416.png
Spoiler

GENERATION 31: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

#4 Zielach

Zielach

Neko of the Pixels

• Ace Member
  • 178 posts
  • LocationKingdom of Pixels
  • RM Skill - Pixel Artist

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:48 PM

in my opinion there would be better games, but maybe its too much time¿ the rewards should be better then¿ xd
probably indie in a pair of weeks XD

erQPB3X.png Patreon: https://www.patreon...._source=twitter

<(=_\---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------/_=)>

#5 Takeo212

Takeo212

Advanced Member

• + Premium Members
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:58 PM

Hmm...

- Indie In A Week

- Indie In A Month

- Indie By Night

- Duo Dev

I feel overwhelmed. We literally have a contest for each reasonable scope.

Not that I would mind it. I'm horrible at making a game in a week (darn you adult responsibilities!) but a month could make alot of people to lazy. Of course, that depends on the dev and not the contest itself.

I'm supportive of it - just not sure how all these contests are gonna sync up.

Main Games

Spoiler

#6 Seriel

Seriel

Living a lie~

• Global Moderators
  • 1,291 posts
  • LocationNorth Wales, UK

Posted 02 October 2016 - 02:02 PM

so, basically IGMC? kek

In terms of length, yeah. The rest would be the same as IIAW though, so it would be different.

in my opinion there would be better games, but maybe its too much time¿ the rewards should be better then¿ xd
probably indie in a pair of weeks XD

For sure, you can have more and better prizes.

Also Indie in a Fortnight could work buuut...

Hmm...

- Indie In A Week

- Indie In A Month

- Indie By Night

- Duo Dev

I feel overwhelmed. We literally have a contest for each reasonable scope.

Not that I would mind it. I'm horrible at making a game in a week (darn you adult responsibilities!) but a month could make alot of people to lazy. Of course, that depends on the dev and not the contest itself.

I'm supportive of it - just not sure how all these contests are gonna sync up.

tfw I only own/will own two of the contests, kek

The timings of them are done fairly well, the creators of both Duo Dev and Indie by Night had contacted me and planned the timings around IIAWs, so I will make sure to do the same and contact myself to plan the timings around other contests :)

Need to contact me quickly? You can find me on Discord as Seriel#0757.

#7 Takeo212

Takeo212

Advanced Member

• + Premium Members
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 02:13 PM

Ah, then that's convenient~

I see nothing wrong with it. Each person as different availability, so having a variety of timescales sounds good actually.

If someone has a week free during IIAW, then coolios. Got alot going on that month, then IIAM may provide you more time to work on a project~

As long as we don't get two contests on at the same time, I see no negatives to having an extra option/challenge ^^

Main Games

Spoiler

#8 TrogdorBurn

TrogdorBurn

The Non Believer of Beliefs

• + Premium Members
  • 372 posts
  • LocationMidwest US A

Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:15 PM

I wanna be a judge for once, inb4 the deadline to become one is, or even the official acceptance of such begins.

For an idea of my ToS for anything I create, here is a sample ToS for my free resources :) http://forums.rpgmak...resources-free/

#9 Nyuuchan353

Nyuuchan353

Purveyor of Inspiration

• Ace Member
  • 295 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:48 PM

I'd participate. I'm probably one of the few who didn't procrastinate during IIAW5 (possibly :P). A month-long time-frame definitely opens up for ALOT of procrastination (I'm looking at you, Eien. :P), but is good for those who want the challenge of staying focused.

#10 Tsarmina

Tsarmina

Resident Redhead ♥

• Global Moderators
  • 6,207 posts
  • Location|| Neverland ||

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:29 PM

I'm not really in favor of it, I think we have so many competitions that we can just let them run on their own for a while ^^; they're cool and all but throwing them one after another makes it pretty convoluted. Also a month tends to be perceived as a fairly long time but it's also pretty short irl, I think a month would end up with some trouble between developers. :< The week ones are pretty good (especially because people get breaks inbetween).

Current Game:

HIphr1M.pngPU44jON.png

♥ Resource Laboratory ♥ Sugar Sweet kaocoeur87.gif     ♥ Commissions ♥ A Woman in Venice 

^how i'm feeling

79zjX9d.png  RMBIdpX.pngiaODIXz.png bdPIu2t.png

♥iSupport:

Spoiler

#11 Boring Old Tarq

Boring Old Tarq

Maverick

• Global Moderators
  • 659 posts
  • LocationUK
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:22 AM

I'm for it.

I don't really think there can be 'too many' competitions on; people aren't obligated to enter every one. If someone wants to focus on they're actual projects then i think its good they can skip some and its more likely there'll be one running when they want a break again.

If this is going to be more like IGMC, what will the rules be regarding teams and other engines?

Posted Image

#12 Nirwanda

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer

• Ace Member
  • 211 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:32 AM

Definitely in, i owe to myself finishing a game longer than three sungeons long, maybe i can in a month. Go for it, Seriel!

#13 Jeanne d'Ys

Jeanne d'Ys

恋人

• Ace Member
  • 253 posts
  • LocationCafé Rondo, consuming Hagen Dust =======[ Skills ]======= Designing ★★★★☆ Scripting ★☆☆☆☆ Procrastination ★★★★☆ Trigger-Happy ★★★★★ SAN Points left - 40/100 Nature - Quirky Good Difficulty Aim - ATLUS Lite =====[ RPG Maker ]===== Experience - 4 Years Primarily Uses - RMMV
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:13 AM

I support it, actually. Just make sure that the contest time/period sync well with the other contests in the site, and we're good to go.

Also, I have good feeling while reading this thread and typing this comment, nothing outstanding or specific in particular, but I'm just gonna type it as a good luck charm of some sort. Good luck!

Edited by Naoto Akashosu, 03 October 2016 - 11:03 AM.

1zqwu4w.jpg

When you stare up to the heaven, the heaven stares back at you.

Second Floor, First Impression:

Spoiler

My RPG Class, Subclass, D&D Class and Alignment:

Game Progress:

Instances of Clarity (MV): (Dormant)

Strafe of Spirits: (Dormant)

Terminus Saga: (Dormant)

A "Dedicated to..." Project: Rebuilding...

#14 Shiggy

Shiggy

Game design lover,Scripting addict and Polishing procrastinator.

• Ace Member
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationStrasbourg, France
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:33 PM

I don't find the idea appealing to me , contests should be short in my opinion. Two weeks for duo dev is my upperlimit and even then ,I would prefer it to be one week. But hey to each its own taste. If you want  to orgnaise it and people want to participate go for it.

Currently working on:   Learning about Javascript and MV / Making a plugin for Rezanta
What I would like to do: (if I find time and/or motivation) 

Spoiler

Previous works:
Spoiler

Games I support:
Spoiler

If I helped you and you want to help me , I accept donations
will-code-for-food.png<=== contact me for commissions

#15 Takeo212

Takeo212

Advanced Member

• + Premium Members
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 03:09 PM

If this is going to be more like IGMC, what will the rules be regarding teams and other engines?

Wouldn't it be solo developing? 

I may be wrong, but wasn't Duo Dev a month deadline due to team comunications and such, so having another team based contest for a month seems, eh.

Besides, if teams were optional, then solo devs may be discouraged or "out manned" if it was an either or situation.

Also, on a similar topic;

I'm completely all for different game engines being used (yay, variety!) but isn't it against the site rules to post/share anything that isn't RPGM related? Wouldn't this same rule apply to contests? 

Edited by Takeo212, 03 October 2016 - 03:10 PM.

Main Games

Spoiler

#16 Jon (NPC)

Jon (NPC)

Advanced Member

• Ace Member
  • 36 posts
  • LocationStirling, Scotland
  • RM Skill - Eventer

Posted 03 October 2016 - 03:27 PM

I don't feel like we need it :I

#17 Boring Old Tarq

Boring Old Tarq

Maverick

• Global Moderators
  • 659 posts
  • LocationUK
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 04 October 2016 - 02:10 AM

Duo Dev was a fortnight (although I think it ran for a few days extra).

If the purpose of an extended duration is to improve the quality of the games made then increasing the manpower is another way to do so. And, while allowing teams doesn't exclude solo devs the reverse is not true.

But hey, I'm bias; after seeing something Sughayyer said a while back I'd like to see more people use this place as a gathering point to work together rather than a dumping ground for solo projects.

That's a good point about other engines. Perhaps it could be that the projects are added temporarily for the sake of judging and then removed, although it may be best to just exclude them. It's not my call though.

Posted Image

#18 Nyuuchan353

Nyuuchan353

Purveyor of Inspiration

• Ace Member
  • 295 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 04 October 2016 - 12:10 PM

If we do do this, let's make it a twice a year thing. The shorter ones can be more frequent, where as the longer ones should be sparingly held.

#19 Takeo212

Takeo212

Advanced Member

• + Premium Members
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 12:01 PM

Oh. Then my bad about the Duo Dev deadline. I suppose the pre-contest communication/planning made it feel longer, along with the extension haha. (still bummed I had to cancel though... Our team still had the best name~)

Either way, I see no harm in extra contests since you don't have to enter.

However, seeing new contests pop up, I see a domino effect happening (similar to how the forums games happened, with one person making a topic, then another making a similar topic, and so fourth).

I would say that after this, I don't think we need another contest. Atleast nothing such as "make a game in x days/weeks/months". It would be nice to have more variety between the contests to be honest, but I don't disapprove.

I'm not sure if our small-ish community here can fund all these contests with prizes though >.< *Humble Bundle is love*

Edited by Takeo212, 05 October 2016 - 12:01 PM.

Main Games

Spoiler

#20 Loriesquare

Loriesquare

Lolicon Sovereign

• Ace Member
  • 192 posts
  • LocationProcrastination Nation, at the station =======[ "Skills" ]======= Procras. ★★★★★★★★★★ Everything else       ★☆☆☆☆ =====[ RPG Maker ]===== Primarily Uses                      VXA  Completed Games                    0  ERICs                                                 ~8 
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 06 October 2016 - 08:14 AM

I would say that after this, I don't think we need another contest. Atleast nothing such as "make a game in x days/weeks/months". It would be nice to have more variety between the contests to be honest, but I don't disapprove.

I agree, where are the art contests and stuff?
I only remember that one pixel art contest I participated in long ago. It was fun. :P

yNfZ6ap.png

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

FchUEtS.png iz2XawC.png

AxhgpNA.png a7I7uSJ.png

"needs more shading"

~Eien

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: indie, interest check, prizes, iiaw, iiam, ~jackus, ~seriel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users