Tarq

Class: Old Man

• Global Moderators
  • 692 posts
  • LocationUK
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:57 AM

Hey All,

So there's been some discussion going around recently about mixing up the type of competitions available on the site and so I'd like to get some sort of direction going so we can actually proceed with it.

I think the first question is, really, what kind of art would people like to make? Would it be physical or digital? And which type would it be again after determining which of those two broad categories.

Prizes are another thing. Forum badges can probably be arranged but what kind of other things would people like; would people still be happy with random Steam keys?

And lastly, one thing that was, very astutely, mentioned was how many people would actually participate in an art competition? Its much more specific than a general game dev one and this site does better suit that kind of competition anyways. When answering this one please also state whether you would be interested in entering only specific art competitions or whether you would enter any and all.

Perhaps, I'll add a poll later when some of the details have been firmed up. For now if you could just answer the above and add any other questions or concerns you feel are pertinent then hopefully we can get one of these running again soon.

Posted Image

#2 Jonath4nC

Jonath4nC

Kiwi

• + Premium Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • RM Skill - Jack of All Trades

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:43 PM

Yes art competitions would be awesome! Even if there were no prizes, if it were every week, I'd be happy. I seem to always miss out on these, but I guess that's because I can never find the time to enter any...

First Question - Personally I like digital, but it would be cool to see it being mixed up every so often. Pixel art is what I'm most into, but again having a mixed genre would be coooool.
Second Question - YES badges would be awesome, but personally I can never be bothered with steam keys, I have way too many games already XD.
Third Question - I'm interested in entering, I just wouldn't be able to enter at any random time in the year, so if it were more frequent, I'd be happy :).
I think I would enter anything digital, but not physical. Although I am interested in seeing people's physical art as well haha.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

1c60ded7d023e7a5655e18fb8f77b105-d7l7pos zombie_game_support_bar_by_jonath4nc-d7p zombie_art_support_bar_by_jonath4nc-d7sf 8324fde5b49ffe5b67c99973d62c4154-d7l7qgy

WD73fuH.gif

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

#3 Tsarmina

Tsarmina

Resident Redhead ♥

• Global Moderators
  • 6,227 posts
  • Location|| Neverland ||

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:51 PM

I'm an artist, so yeah, I'm highlyyyy biased....XD But I think it would be pretty cool! I think the main issue, though, would be that people prefer different art styles; like there's no set standard of what makes a good piece of art, unlike general rules of what makes a good game. :x

Current Game:

HIphr1M.pngPU44jON.png

♥ Resource Laboratory ♥ Sugar Sweet kaocoeur87.gif     ♥ Commissions ♥ A Woman in Venice 

^how i'm feeling

79zjX9d.png  RMBIdpX.pngiaODIXz.png bdPIu2t.png

♥iSupport:

Spoiler

#4 Nyuuchan353

Nyuuchan353

Purveyor of Inspiration

• Ace Member
  • 295 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:31 PM

As someone w/o an artist tablet, I wouldn't mind mailing in a physical art entry, lol.

• kaz likes this

#5 Rikifive

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness

• Global Moderators
  • 5,514 posts
  • LocationEquestria First Language - Polish           Uses - Game Maker         RMVXAce                                   GM Skill - Procrastinating
  • RM Skill - Game Developer

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:21 PM

Personally I wouldn't participate, because I'm terrible at art. x3

But that doesn't mean it's a bad idea. I'm sure the others would have fun! ^^

I believe I can :fly:.

LraXqtS.png

Want to see SCIENCE in RPG Maker VX Ace? Try these games:

Super Coolstory Bros. | Chain ReactionGood VS Evil: The Fateful CurseFrozen DreamEric Chronicles - Adventure to The Starting Position

#6 Tarq

Tarq

• Global Moderators
  • 692 posts
  • LocationUK
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:57 AM

@Riki; That's one of my principle concerns with running a competition - it would be cool if people took part just for the fun of it/for the experience rather than being overly concerned about whether they win/are good. I mean, its an inherent part of competition that someone wins and someone loses but losing doesn't have to be considered an unpleasant process.

@Nyuu; Physical entrys could be scanned or have a picture taken of.

@Tsar; 'Traditional' art can be judged in the same way as games, and any other medium - broadly speaking, on technical proficiency and attempts to communicate an interesting idea (and the success of doing so). As for defining what art styles people would prefer to do, well, I asked that. When we have a rough idea we can start to form a suitable judgement criteria.

We held art competitions fairly regularly back on R3 so I know it can work well. That said, I personally would prefer not to be a judge as I don't feel particularly qualified. 

@Jonath4nC; Thanks for your response :)

Posted Image

#7 Nirwanda

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer

• Ace Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires
  • RM Skill - Writer

Posted 20 October 2016 - 06:06 AM

Well, I used to like to draw and always am meaning to get back to it. So, I think I would be interested in this. It would be a nice change of pace.

Personally I wouldn't participate, because I'm terrible at art. x3

But that doesn't mean it's a bad idea. I'm sure the others would have fun! ^^

Come on, man, let's suck together!

#8 Takeo212

Takeo212

Advanced Member

• + Premium Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:21 PM

I recommend three categories. Pixel, General and misc.

As much as I love traditional artwork, due to the demand of digitally coloured and such for games and stuff, digital seems more appropriate. Having someone upload an image from their phone or camera for instance can turn out poor quality, and makes details harder to view. Due to this, it would be entirely unfair to compare a poor quality image to a high quality digital piece.

If someone is able to scan their image, then upload it with clean lineart (fine pens for instance), then it could count, but for the sake of judging, digital or high quality traditional should only be counted.

Misc could be for logos and concept artwork. Maybe even a "design a logo for the IiaW/IiaM/Indie by Night and Duo Dev". Just typical design stuff can go here.

Of course, I don't recommend having all three categories open each time. Maybe one contest is a pixel art, the next contest is general and the third a misc. Just to keep variety and try have various artists/go-getters join in~

Overall however, I do hope to see this pop up in future (hopefully I have time to participate~)

banner1_by_takeo212-da3csuk.pngbanner2_by_takeo212-da3csuj.png

Avatar drawn by Techkit | Banner Images drawn by Zeiyuu

#9 gurisha

gurisha

Djent Lord

• Ace Member
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:01 PM

If music counts as art I'll definitely be interested~~

#10 Rikifive

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness

• Global Moderators
  • 5,514 posts
  • LocationEquestria First Language - Polish           Uses - Game Maker         RMVXAce                                   GM Skill - Procrastinating

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:26 AM

@Riki; That's one of my principle concerns with running a competition - it would be cool if people took part just for the fun of it/for the experience rather than being overly concerned about whether they win/are good. I mean, its an inherent part of competition that someone wins and someone loses but losing doesn't have to be considered an unpleasant process.

Yes, yes, but what if you're that bad, that making art itself is a pain? :3
Seriously now ~ yes, making art even for my silly games is a pain, but I'll see~ perhaps I'll put an extremely silly thing...

Come on, man, let's suck together!

Are teams allowed? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

jk

Ah, I'll see. If I'll find some motivation and time, then perhaps I'll  put something silly. ^^

I believe I can :fly:.

LraXqtS.png

Want to see SCIENCE in RPG Maker VX Ace? Try these games:

Super Coolstory Bros. | Chain ReactionGood VS Evil: The Fateful CurseFrozen DreamEric Chronicles - Adventure to The Starting Position

#11 Loriesquare

Loriesquare

Lolicon Sovereign

• Ace Member
  • 193 posts
  • LocationProcrastination Nation, at the station =======[ "Skills" ]======= Procras. ★★★★★★★★★★ Everything else       ★☆☆☆☆ =====[ RPG Maker ]===== Primarily Uses                      VXA  Completed Games                    0  ERICs                                                 ~8 
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:50 AM

I'll the say the same thing as Tsarie-- I'm an artist, so yeah, I'm also highly biased. :P
So I also think it would be pretty cool.

I agree with all of Takeo's points, and the categories thing sound like a pretty good idea.

Although I wonder who would judge? Perhaps it could just be a public poll?

That said, I personally would prefer not to be a judge as I don't feel particularly qualified.

time to call Amy

yNfZ6ap.png

FchUEtS.png iz2XawC.png

AxhgpNA.png a7I7uSJ.png

"needs more shading"

~Eien

#12 ebonknight

ebonknight

• Ace Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 12:34 PM

An art competition would be great,even if it's only for motivation and practice!

#13 Tarq

Tarq

• Global Moderators
  • 692 posts
  • LocationUK
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:41 AM

Mkay. I guess we're got enough folks interested for a small contest.

I think we'll go with pixel art first? I could at least judge that one semi-competently, maybe.

I'll put some thought into a theme, timeline, and try to reach out to some other judges tonight.

Please let me know via here or pm if you'd like to be a judge. For objectivity's sake I'd prefer for participants to not be judges but we'll have to see how the numbers go, I guess.

Also @Gurisha; While I don't think any of us here would dispute music as an art form we've pretty clearly been talking about visual art. We'd still love it if you'd give the contest a go though! 

Posted Image

#14 Takeo212

Takeo212

Advanced Member

• + Premium Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:07 AM

i don't mind judging to be honest, but pixel/sprite work isn't my strong point. Mainly general artwork would be my "I'll be a judge" comfort zone haha.

Though, if Tarq struggles to get a few judges, I don't mind trying it out. I don't have much time lately to draw anyways~

Public vote can be biased/bribed. Having more friends than someone else is an example :P

Maybe a; Judges decide top 3, and then the public choose the 1st, 2nd and 3rd places? Just to spice it up :P

banner1_by_takeo212-da3csuk.pngbanner2_by_takeo212-da3csuj.png

Avatar drawn by Techkit | Banner Images drawn by Zeiyuu

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: competition

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users