• Announcements

• RagingHobo

Forum Upgraded!   07/17/2017

We have successfully upgraded our forum to the latest version! Some things have moved around but don't worry everything is still there, we still need to find updated versions of the plugins we were using previously to restore everything to the way it was. There will be a running topic in the Feedback and Support in case you notice something wrong. Before you do so please clear your browser cache and close your browser completely to rule out a caching issue. Thank you for your patience during the outage and while we get everything back to 150%  
Seriel

Month-long Making! (Contest)

95 posts in this topic

The judging will be awkward and kinda based on how much effort we think you've put into something.

And that shouldn't be the important part anyway, the prizes are an incentive for you to do something. The real prize is that you get something done.

Will add the new people and hopefully elaborate more when I'm home.

Loriesquare likes this

Suddenly, a wild Raymi appears!

While I am unable to participate, I wish everyone who's competing good luck! This sounds like a really fun contest, and a really neat concept :) 

:excl: Rule change!

I've decided to change the rule regarding Default Assets to now include any engine. External resources are still prohibited.

Regarding resources used: (IMPORTANT!)

Everything submitted must be your original work owned by you. 

With the exception of an engine's RTP/Default Assests (Including premade scripts that COME WITH then engine. Nothing external.), all resources used in your creation must be made by you and within the time limit. With regards to images this doesn't include techniques/brushes/whatever, as long as you don't copy/paste from your old work.

External/freely available resources MAY NOT be used.

All contestants so far have been signed up.

"External/freely available resources MAY NOT be used."

Does freely available music count in this as well?

Music counts as a resource too, yes.
Marsigne likes this

Perhaps winners for each category? Art, Music, Game?

I don't think there's enough contestants for that.

I'm talking like upwards of 2 for each category, and maybe have people declare which category they're signing up for.

Categories wouldn't really work.

Say, 1 person enters game making and 2 people draw an image. Game dev would immediately win by default, but art would have to be judged.

And at the end of the contest all categories still need to be judged together to get a final winner since I doubt Jackus has enough prizes for several different category winners.

Categories are fine if you do a single category each contest, but doing alot at once with a handful of people wouldn't work out to well.

Still not fond of the "we'll see who put more effort in and make our vote that way" since it's kinda judging a book by it's cover (say two people make a game. Ones good and tiles, another isn't as good. That second artist is gonna work harder to make there tiles good, but since the final result is about what looks best because that has the most "effort to make it look good" the second artist doesn't get a fair chance.

I will however leave it with the judges decision. I could be wrong and it all works out.

I'll decide how to do the judging when I see what everyone has made.

If you all make games, I'll just use IIAW style judging, but if you don't then I'll think of something else.

I'll also do everything I can to make it as fair as possible. 

Takeo212 and Marsigne like this

I do trust your opinion, just so I'm clear~ That response was more in general than blaming you or anything :P

I hope more entries pop in instead of just games. I understand it's a game forum, but c'mon guys~ We need variety! xD

Marsigne and Seriel like this

Still not fond of the "we'll see who put more effort in and make our vote that way" since it's kinda judging a book by it's cover (say two people make a game. Ones good and tiles, another isn't as good. That second artist is gonna work harder to make there tiles good, but since the final result is about what looks best because that has the most "effort to make it look good" the second artist doesn't get a fair chance.

But the person/piece which is better is supposed to win a competition. My concern with an 'effort vote' is the opposite of yours; that well-made works are undervalued against worse works full of good intentions.

I don't really care about a few Steam keys (lel, some are my donations) but I do think some attempt at objectivity is a big deal for a competition and effort is very subjective; both the judge's perception of it as well as the participant's definition of it. A competition judged on effort seems like it will leave a lot of salt.

Takeo212 likes this

Count me in, you pale beast of a thin stature scratching at the walls of a basement as it vehemently screeches "BRING ME THE MEAT!" whilst waiting for the human morsels that it's masters deliver. . . . Jeez, my nicknames are going out of control.

raymi100 likes this

So many contests, that I don't know where to go anymore.

'Get something done' means 'More projects to handle; RIP all current ones' for me, so I definitely think I should stop distracting myself.  :P

Contests happen that frequently, that they kinda became like 'make a random thing in x days and don't worry, you'll have another chance right after the contest' and I kiiiinda got tired? IiaW series were enough, because I could work on my projects and do something else from time to time. x3

Don't get me wrong though ~ I just want to say, that I think I'll pass this time.  :D

Have fun and good luck to everybody! (=

Marsigne likes this

Regarding RTP use; can you only use the RTP that comes with the specific maker or are all RTP okay to use (ie. XP with VXA)?

Mmm no I'm gonna say you can only use the RTP of your engine.

The idea is to see how much you can do yourself, I only allowed RTP because starting with nothing in RPG Maker is pretty tough! :lol:

Nyuuchan353 likes this

Regarding RTP use; can you only use the RTP that comes with the specific maker or are all RTP okay to use (ie. XP with VXA)?

The idea is to see how much you can do yourself, I only allowed RTP because starting with nothing in RPG Maker is pretty tough! :lol:

So, as I understand it, Vanilla assets only? Cuz I have a few res packs for VXAce (including Luna Engine).

So, as I understand it, Vanilla assets only? Cuz I have a few res packs for VXAce (including Luna Engine).

Yeah it's kinda like your Indie by Night 2 is gonna be. Just default resources. No DLC or anything.

Of course you can use anything you make yourself during the contest period as well.

Marsigne likes this

Yeah it's kinda like your Indie by Night 2 is gonna be. Just default resources. No DLC or anything.

Of course you can use anything you make yourself during the contest period as well.

What about the Luna Engine?

Yea, starting with nothing in ANY engine is tough... XD I probably wont have a chance to start working on my stuff until halfway through the contest. =/

Hmm, okay, thanks Jackus.

If I wanted to make some XP-type characters for VXA with Game Character Hub would that be okay? I'm not sure if those parts would fall under 'RTP' or whether they're a part of the program like brushes for GIMP (I suppose you can own GCH without owning a version of RM).

And that's the last question from me. Hopefully.

And don't worry Drass, you seem to be a terminal winner.