Photo

Greyscale Blood Censor

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Purple Phantom

Purple Phantom

The purple-clad ghost who's haunting a skeleton.

• 452 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Else First Language - English =======[ Skills ]======= Designing ★★★★☆ == Eating Sweets ★★★★★ == Deduction ★★★★★ == ====================== Uses - RMVXAce
  • RM Skill - Game Developer

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:25 AM

Okay, so, I'm making a horror game about children. Before you freak out, no, nobody dies. However, considering the sensitive nature of children in horror - especially when the protagonists are children - I thought of an idea on how to deal with, well... Blood. Ever so often, the screen will go greyscale, signalling that there is blood. Effectively, the vital fluid is disguised as a black fluid, instead. However, this may prove annoying to some people.

My question is this: Is this a good idea?

PROJECT INIQUITOUS MEMBER

D4srgS4.png

I am most like this video game character!

Spoiler

I SUPPORT:

Spoiler

Use these in your signature to show your support for the games the images represent! ...If you want to, I mean. You don't have to. Also, you can click the images to go to the site's pages for them. :P Yes! I made it work! :D

Spoiler

And this isn't a game, but, if you want to support my book series...

Spoiler

#2 Tarq

Tarq

Class: Old Man

• Global Moderators
  • 731 posts
  • LocationUK
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:02 AM

If everything is black and white then the blood being recoloured doesn't accomplish anything. The change in the colour of blood has the same significance as the change in colour of hair or eyes or surrounding objects (a lengthy way of saying 'none').

I think a better idea would be to rename blood as a deliberately weak metaphor (idk, mana or something) and then treat blood as you would treat the metaphor (so keeping with the mana example, mana could be drained). This way players will make the same health association and the kids don't need to visibly bleed to undergo the same level of suffering as actually bleeding implies.

Ofc, the above doesn't work if you want the shock value of child gore. But then if you want that same shock value then you shouldn't be trying to mask it in the first place.

Here's an online 'folio of all my gaming projects: http://doubleplusgoo...blogspot.co.uk/

The best place to get the latest news, builds, etc.

#3 Ferry66

Ferry66

• 10 posts
  • RM Skill - Musician

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:41 AM

This censoring type reminds me a lot of many gore-related animes like tokyo ghoul, where they use this kind of censoring.

I personally think that censoring blood in a horror game, even if it involves children, isn't such a good idea, as it might confuse players, and also it seems all around unnecessary.

I'd stick to whatever style you're developing and try to keep blood to a minimum if you're worried i might not look good or it could scare away potential players.

#4 Lord Vectra

Lord Vectra

King of Darkness!!!

• 1077 posts
  • LocationFiend World
  • RM Skill - Eventer

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:41 AM

Pfft, awwww. I was hoping for the full extent of blood and gore.

I'm probably a bad person for this, but if you can't handle children being hurt and them bleeding, I would think horror games or movies isn't your thing if bleeding children pulls you away that much. And I agree with Ferry66, it will come to many horror gamers as unnecessary, and can possibly pull away them if it is censored like that.

I am Vectra the King of Darkness!!!!

e660029441.png

66edddcdff.png

D4srgS4.png

#5 Takeo212

Takeo212

Procrastination Expert

• + Sponsor
  • 1456 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:03 AM

Black or red, the player will know what it is so censoring seems pointless.

I kinda like the maechanic though to be honest. It's like a "sensor" rather than a "censor". 

If your doing the greyscale simply to cover up the blood aspect though, then it may get annoying, especially if it's an obvious censoring gimic.

Why not just recolour the blood in general? DanganRonpa made the blood pink as a censorship (which seemed pointless but it works haha).

A horror game is a horror game. Anyone playing it and complaining about blood and children should revisit their gaming genre.

They have also never seen a J-Horror. They're all about those creepy gorey children =-=

#6 lonequeso

lonequeso

One cheese to rule them all!

• 2898 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:51 AM

Blood is blood. I think the gray scale would be a cool effect, but I agree that it doesn't really change anything, If you're really worried about blood being to graphic, don't have any. Personally, I'm fine with creepy children and blood and gore where little ones are present. 

A lot of horror movies I've seen surrounding children are either ghosts/demons/etc trying to posses them or steal them away. Others like "The Shining: are more psychological (though there's was a ton of blood in that elevator). If you're skittish about blood in you're game, there's other ways to scare people. 

#7 Purple Phantom

Purple Phantom

• 452 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Else First Language - English =======[ Skills ]======= Designing ★★★★☆ == Eating Sweets ★★★★★ == Deduction ★★★★★ == ====================== Uses - RMVXAce

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:34 PM

I seem to have made a slight mistake in my explanation.

Here's the plot synopsis of the game:

Spoiler

However...

Spoiler

Also, I am not skittish about there being blood in my game (I'm actually quite fond of blood, horror and the like), nor am I skittish about horror involving children (which, again, I'm a huge fan of this, tbh). I simply understand the sensitive nature of the topic.

As a slight explanation of what I mean, here are a few screencaps that show what I mean.

Spoiler

Going by the replies, I'm thinking the greyscale is likely a bad idea and I'll likely get rid of it, but I just wanted to make sure, now that I've provided some screenies.

D4srgS4.png

Spoiler

I SUPPORT:

Spoiler

Use these in your signature to show your support for the games the images represent! ...If you want to, I mean. You don't have to. Also, you can click the images to go to the site's pages for them. :P Yes! I made it work! :D

Spoiler

Spoiler

#8 lonequeso

lonequeso

One cheese to rule them all!

• 2898 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:47 PM

I like blood and gore, too. :D 

It's your game. Put in whatever content you see fit into it, and ignore the complaints  :)

Greyscale looks cool, and could be a good effect to throw in certain spots (especially if you have scenes of the Boogieman's past victims meeting their demise). It just doesn't do anything to make blood feel less bloody. 

#9 Takeo212

Takeo212

Procrastination Expert

• + Sponsor
  • 1456 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:03 PM

Just make the game without greyscale. If someone complains, then meh.

I understand children and death are a sensitive combination, but nowadays everything is a sensitive topic, so censoring for the sake of censoring seems sad.

If you finish and upload the game with tags such as "gore", "blood" and "children" then someone complaining either didn't read your tags/disclaimers or just wants to whine.

Having children in a gorey enviroment I think makes the player more protective of the character, so the more visible blood, the more the player is inclined to protect there little muffin from the boogie man.

Of course, greyscale is entirely your own option.

IF worst comes to worst, why not do both?

Have the player choose at the start, censor or not. If they choos censor, have it turn on a switch.

Everytime a "grey" event is happening, have it check if switch "censorship" is on. If the switch is ON, turn the screen grey. If the switch is OFF, play the scene normally?

Seems like a rather easy set up if you really want to avoid a backlash later.

#10 Purple Phantom

Purple Phantom

• 452 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:18 PM

I think I'll go without the greyscale censor, then. However, it looks freaking cool, so I think I'll have some scenes be in greyscale - not for censoring, though. Just because it looks cool and fits in with the moment.

As for flashback scenes, those will be completely in drawn cutscenes, rather than sprited cutscenes (that'd take a lot of custom spriting and the like and I'm not in the mood to deal with that XD), but greyscale would be cool for that! :D :D

Thanks for all your help, guys! ^_^

D4srgS4.png

Spoiler

I SUPPORT:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users