The One Map Challenge
I wanted to create a contest targeted at, but not exclusive to new rpg maker devs. We've all been there: our first project... we have no organization, we have a plan that's too ambitious, and we have no idea where or how to start, but we do it anyways. By limiting ourselves to one map, the challenge will force FOCUS. Something a new dev desperately needs. Further, more experienced devs might find the restriction requires them to really stretch those creative muscles to make something interesting. On to the rules!
- Must use 1 map (no size limit). This map will be one of the major judging points and can not just be a repository for events (Looking at you VN creators).
- Must be a new project started and finished within the time scope of the project.
- Number of devs on 1 project is limited to 1. Not to say you can't get advice/critques from other people before turn in day.)
- I'll be posting this contest in number of locales; however, it will be managed from this forum. You must be a member of RMC to participate.
- January 24th, contest first posted; Updates and changes to the parameters expected until contest start date.
- January 29th, 12AM GMT: Contest starts.
- February 11th, 1130PM GMT: Contest Ends. All games must be linked and shared on this thread by this time.
- February 25th, Judging will finalized and results posted here.
I'll be judging. Obviously it will mostly be my personal subjectivity - but I'll try to keep it as objective as possible. I will play the game for up to 1 hour, or until a game crashing bug.
There will be a total of 60 points.
- Use of Map (20 points) - creativity, design, completion
- Thematic elements (10 points) - How unique was your vision?, How cohesive were the game elements in relation to the theme of the game?
- Execution (15 points) - Bugs, spelling/grammar, game balance
- Overall fun (15 points) - how driven was I to finish your game
- Single tier bonus points (up to 10 total) - Art, music, eventing, etc - did any of these one elements stand out and if so bonus points. This can't take your score over 60.
- All top prizes will be shown on my stream separate from my judging. (Don't get too excited, my stream has a pretty low audience.)
- Overall (wins $20.00 worth of RPG Maker resources of their choice) - Grand Prize winner with the highest objective score
- Honorable Runner up ($10.00 worth of RPG Maker resources of their choice) - Second place winner with the second highest score
- Best Map - (Choose one of the following game keys) best looking, best used map (art and eventing major considerations)
- Best Story - (Choose one of the following game keys) goes to the most moving or creative story.
- Best Art - (Choose one of the following game keys) the standout for non-map art of the game, (battlers, character design, icons, etc)
- Lost Planet 3 - Complete Pack
- Resident Evil Revelations
- Resident Evil Revelations 2 - Episode 1: Penal Colony
- Resident Evil 4
- DMC: Devil May Cry
- DMC: Devil May Cry: Vergils Downfall DLC
- Devil may Cry 4: Special Edition
- Crazy Plant Shop
- Lilly Looking Through
- Galcon Legends
Can I enter after the start time?
Absolutely! As long as you start and finish your game within the parameters, your entry will be allowed. Please leave a comment here so we have an idea how big this has gotten! More exciting that way!
Does the battle screen count as a map?
No, the combat screen DOES NOT count as an additional map as that is a traditional aspect of JRPG and RPG Maker.
Edited by Fusegu, 30 January 2017 - 11:18 AM.