introduction free materials question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rannade3rd

rannade3rd

• Ace Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:35 AM

Hi there, it's been a long time since i dreamed about making game that i want, and now probably the right time for me since i am no longer a student anymore. Well i have been aware of RPG maker since like 3-4 years ago, and my first RPG maker that i ever played is RPG Tsukuru Advance on Gameboy Advance, even though it was in Japanese. 

I currently making a game in RPG Maker VX Ace (hope people still plays with it). I have been training myself on it like 3 months now (eventing, install-configure script, and so on) and collecting so many free materials on english based and japanese sites (i'm pretty sure the author said it free to use as long as i credit them or direct it to their website). oh and yeah, i make a non-commercial one of course (but it will take months to finish it though).

And that's all for introduction, and nice to meet you all ^^.

oh and a little bit question here:
which thread i should post to about usage of some artist materials, i mean, currently i am making a Suikoden wannabe game, you know, a game with 108 recruitable characters, which is used so many materials from so many artists. What most worries me right now is that, even though i am 95% pretty sure all of the materials are free to use, the other 5% maybe some of the artist had changed their mind without i am knowing it. i want to make a list of Artists whom some of their materials used by me, and maybe people or some Artists here could correct me. Thanks in advance.

#2 Rikifive

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness

• Global Moderators
  • 5,541 posts
  • LocationEquestria First Language - Polish           Game Maker & Ace User                                  
  • RM Skill - Game Developer

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:59 AM

Hello there!

I think the best area to ask for these will be Resource Requests. Looking for terms of use of the resources is kinda like looking for resources themselves. Perhaps somebody will even find a better alternative and such. ^^

Good luck and welcome to the herd! =)

I believe I can :fly:.

LraXqtS.png

Want to see SCIENCE in RPG Maker VX Ace? Try these games:

Super Coolstory Bros. | Chain ReactionGood VS Evil: The Fateful CurseFrozen DreamEric Chronicles - Adventure to The Starting Position

#3 rannade3rd

rannade3rd

• Ace Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:29 PM

yeah, thank you very much. Though i am pretty sure all of the materials are free to use (if my eyes didn't deceive me back then). I still gonna use those materials and if maybe its become problematic in the future after i post the game, i could just change it or erase it and keep the game by myself. 

#4 Rikifive

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness

• Global Moderators
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:17 AM

Though still, even if they're free to use, you have to give credit to their artists, unless it is stated, that they don't require that.

That itself can become problematic, because if for example there will be only your name in the credits, while there are tons of resources made by others, then you may get not-nice comments, which may negatively affect your reputation and your future projects.

I don't mean to scare you, but keep that in mind, as it happens. It is really worth to organize files and know the terms of use of the resources you use.

Though as you said, removing it later when the problem appears is also a solution, though it's better to think of prevention, rather than possible solutions later. Just be careful. =)

LraXqtS.png

Super Coolstory Bros. | Chain ReactionGood VS Evil: The Fateful CurseFrozen DreamEric Chronicles - Adventure to The Starting Position

#5 rannade3rd

rannade3rd

• Ace Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:09 AM

yeah to be honest, i was like already making a list of people i need to credit way before i use their material. Of course i respect those people who give their material for free to any stranger in internet. and some of their give away are just too good to be true, i grateful of that.

i will list them, sure i will, and i will ask any people to correct me if there are artist that not listed in my credit. Surely i will credit them as soon as possible.

so yeah, thank you.

#6 Rikifive

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness

• Global Moderators
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:29 AM

That will greatly decrease the chance of getting into any disputes. Well, in that case you should be fine. Good luck! :)

LraXqtS.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: introduction, free materials question

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users