Photo

RPG MAKER VX ACE VS MV

poll

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Poll: RPG Maker VX Ace vs MV

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Which do you prefer?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Achromatic

Achromatic

• 4 posts
  • LocationIn my parents basement.
  • RM Skill - Jack of All Trades

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:38 PM

Well, I don't really know if this is the right forum to post this topic but yeah
Please tell me the details of your preference, more appreciated if it involves scripting. I was just taking a break from coding cuz it's a hell of depressing thoughts. That's why I decided to take a go on RPG MAKER. But I come to like this engine. If it comes I might make this my main engine and i'm an aspiring indie dev so this decision might affect my entire life. Enough with the drama. So yeah. Please tell me ur reason

#2 Cookie Ninja

Cookie Ninja

Chocolate chip master!

• 654 posts
  • LocationLost woods
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:34 PM

As a scripter I can only say... depends.

VXA: (Ruby)

• The script editor is much easier to work with. (open the editor, throw down some lines and run it)
  • The downside is that the source is poorly documented and when you get in deep you also end up guessing.

MV: (Java Script)

• No hidden source. (This is a big plus since you need less trial and error as you deep dive)
  • Plugin system, this is a pro and a con. Easy to turn on and of entire script files when debugging. Con, must re-import scripts after making changes. Forgetting to do so (easy mistake) might leave you clueless for hours.

If neither of these seems to outweigh the other, then I guess it comes down to what language you are most comfortable with.

In almost every other aspect MV is the superior. I personally prefer ACE since I mostly play around and experiment with mechanics.

Everything I ever make will be free for all to use for all purposes!

I rarely demand credits, but I would appreciate a thank you (not mandatory).

To me that is a great morale boost, it goes a long way in motivating to keep doing what I do :D

Cookie Scripts:

Spoiler

#3 lonequeso

lonequeso

One cheese to rule them all!

• 2901 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:45 PM

I've only used Ace so I can't really vote. MV looks prettier for sure. Word on the street is there's still a bunch of bugs. If it weren't for those I'd say MV for sure. Depends on how many bugs there are and how severe. Oh, and lag. RPG Maker is notorious for lag. Ace is pretty bad, and people say MV is worse. There are several anti-lag scripts out there for Ace that work really well. I'm not sure if there's any for MV. 

#4 Takeo212

Takeo212

Procrastination Expert

• + Sponsor
  • 1461 posts
  • LocationScotland
  • RM Skill - Game Developer

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:31 PM

I've used both, but I haven't actually used ACE since MV's release to be honest. MV is definitely my preferred software.

Firstly, my writing skills are awful and I've never really been able to code myself. At least not a full plugin/script anyway. I like reading over others work though.

I found Ruby easy enough to edit and understand. However, Ruby was mainly used for just in game stuff.

I've now seen quite a few external plugins for MV (Yanfly's Doodads, SumRndmDde's HUD/Menu tools, ect.) that allow you to directly change you game from another extension window. 

I also understand JS better than Ruby most of the time, so depending on what you take to more, your preference may vary.

Majority of the bugs for Mv are solved. I personally haven't encountered any within the past few months, and another recent market trend is the use of "tool plugins" - essentially buying an extension onto the program itself (currently one is SAKAN tileset builder for instance).

I think realistically though, since MV was released, attention seems to have diverted away from ACE (development and resource wise, not usage), so I feel currently MV is more supported. MV games are also playable in browsers.

Lone is right though, MV still gets laggy - but this is mainly based on your own specs now. I have a decent computer, and can run several small events at once. This has been mended alot since the release, but depending on what your trying to do (parallaxing mixed with alot of events for instance) your game can become laggy. I haven't had any recent problems with this, but it does still happen from time to time.

#5 lonequeso

lonequeso

• 2901 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:38 PM

Has anyone made an anti-lag plugin for MV?

#6 Takeo212

Takeo212

Procrastination Expert

• + Sponsor
  • 1461 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:29 PM

I remember there being at least one made shortly after MV's release, but after the several updates, I'm not sure there's a current up-to-date one. There's solutions but nothing concrete. I think fancy battle systems are the worst for lag though.

#7 Piyan Glupak

Piyan Glupak

• 27 posts
  • LocationNorthern Bulgaria

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:58 PM

As someone who is just a hobbyist, my thoughts are:

MV has larger and slightly nicer (in my opinion) graphics.  That is what sold it for me.  A few of the event commands are a little bit better, such as 'Show Choices, but otherwise Ace has everything that MV has in that department. I intend to migrate to Linux at some point, and I imagine that using MV would be a lot easier than Ace, bearing in mind that there is a Linux Steam version, and that MV is intended for multi-platform use.

Ace deserves an honourable mention, because it is stable, and is extremely unlikely to need updates.  Your project will not be adversely be affected by updates that require the scripts you use to be updated, for instance.  Ace doesn't seem to need as modern a computer as MV, and will happily run under Windows XP, for instance.  It seems to have less of a risk of lag (although it should be noted that lag is frequently due to things like poorly designed parallel processes).  There are a vast number of resources and scripts available for Ace, although I get the impression that MV is catching up.

#8 Traverse

Traverse

Advanced Member

• 280 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:31 AM

But I come to like this engine. If it comes I might make this my main engine and i'm an aspiring indie dev so this decision might affect my entire life.

You're free to think however you like, but personally I don't feel that this is how one should look making games. Without getting into the whole schtick of indie vs non-indie, I'm just going to say that the game should come first. Not the engine. There's no sense in having a "main" engine that makes it harder to make the kind of game you're going for. Like, it IS possible to make an isometric turn-based tactics game with RPGMaker... but you would probably find it easier to do it with another engine (possibly a custom coded engine).

Similarly, you wouldn't want to be making a smartphone game with RMVXAce. You'd use MV for that, because that comes out the box with the tools needed for you to make the game run on Android/iOS (there are third-party/rumored proprietary unreleased tools for porting Ace games to mobile, but you'd have to put in extra effort to acquire and use them). Scripting-wise, both VXAce and MV are about equally as flexible. MV slightly more, because all the libraries are exposed and you won't need to worry about violating the terms of use like you would in Ace if you need/want to access any of the hidden RGSS DLL methods.

The main draw of MV's plugin system is really just making it more accessible for non-scripters to use, which isn't going to matter a whit to you since you can code. Plugins can still clash and, unlike VXAce's Ruby core library which is all contained in the RGSS DLL (minus some networking functions), JavaScript compatibility is dependent on the player/browser it runs in. Some functions may work in one browser and not in another (i.e. JavaScript's "includes()" function which will run in Firefox/Chrome but not in IE... or the stock Android browser). It shouldn't largely be a problem if you use MV but I imagine if it occurs it could end up being a headache.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of what you think will save you the most effort or will help more when making your game. If you can already code then any differences between Ace and MV's stock set of event commands won't be a big deal. You'll be looking more at resource formats, ease of porting your game, technical limitations (i.e. database entry limits, map size limits, ect.) and all that.

Once more, I advise you look at what your game needs first before you go looking for an engine.

#9 Achromatic

Achromatic

• 4 posts
  • LocationIn my parents basement.
  • RM Skill - Jack of All Trades

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:05 AM

But I come to like this engine. If it comes I might make this my main engine and i'm an aspiring indie dev so this decision might affect my entire life.

You're free to think however you like, but personally I don't feel that this is how one should look making games. Without getting into the whole schtick of indie vs non-indie, I'm just going to say that the game should come first. Not the engine. There's no sense in having a "main" engine that makes it harder to make the kind of game you're going for. Like, it IS possible to make an isometric turn-based tactics game with RPGMaker... but you would probably find it easier to do it with another engine (possibly a custom coded engine).

Similarly, you wouldn't want to be making a smartphone game with RMVXAce. You'd use MV for that, because that comes out the box with the tools needed for you to make the game run on Android/iOS (there are third-party/rumored proprietary unreleased tools for porting Ace games to mobile, but you'd have to put in extra effort to acquire and use them). Scripting-wise, both VXAce and MV are about equally as flexible. MV slightly more, because all the libraries are exposed and you won't need to worry about violating the terms of use like you would in Ace if you need/want to access any of the hidden RGSS DLL methods.

The main draw of MV's plugin system is really just making it more accessible for non-scripters to use, which isn't going to matter a whit to you since you can code. Plugins can still clash and, unlike VXAce's Ruby core library which is all contained in the RGSS DLL (minus some networking functions), JavaScript compatibility is dependent on the player/browser it runs in. Some functions may work in one browser and not in another (i.e. JavaScript's "includes()" function which will run in Firefox/Chrome but not in IE... or the stock Android browser). It shouldn't largely be a problem if you use MV but I imagine if it occurs it could end up being a headache.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of what you think will save you the most effort or will help more when making your game. If you can already code then any differences between Ace and MV's stock set of event commands won't be a big deal. You'll be looking more at resource formats, ease of porting your game, technical limitations (i.e. database entry limits, map size limits, ect.) and all that.

Once more, I advise you look at what your game needs first before you go looking for an engine.

Personally I'm playing with engines first before going to plan my whole game. I need to be familiar into some engines and plan around what i'm capable of. I'm not going to plan a game that I don't even know if I can implement its mechanics. 

Anyway I just wanted to know the difference between them. I might be over-exaggerated the fact that it's gonna effect my entire life.

I'll keep your advice in mind~~

#10 lonequeso

lonequeso

• 2901 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:47 AM

Awww.. that's no fun. Just dive in headfirst  :lol:

#11 lianderson

lianderson

Advanced Member

• 101 posts
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:10 AM

If you´re new, MV. If you´re not, then whatever works best for you. (I voted VXAce)

#12 Takeo212

Takeo212

Procrastination Expert

• + Sponsor
  • 1461 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:58 AM

...or a better solution?

Both versions offer free trials.

MV has a trial period, and ACE has a lite version. Why not download them and try for yourself?

I recommend starting with ACE if you do.

#13 Rikifive

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness

• Forum Admins
  • 5694 posts
  • LocationEquestria First Language - Polish           Game Maker & Ace User                                  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:43 AM

Personally I've used only Ace and made science few non-RPG games with it. I can't really complain on it, though its poor performance* and limits can be the pain.

* - even though it says 60FPS most of the time, it's actually around 20 sometimes or even less, when some calculations are happening in the background. Or... these famous light effects, that can make the game unplayable. (0-3 FPS)

I haven't toyed with MV, but I believe it would perform better for my weird ideas, though I keep hearing about some issues.

The main difference is the scripting language - If you're familiar with Ruby, work with Ace; If you're familiar with JavaScript, work with MV; If you're new to both - I'm not sure, but perhaps MV would be a better choice.

I believe I can :fly:.

LraXqtS.png

Want to see SCIENCE in RPG Maker VX Ace? Try these games:

Super Coolstory Bros. | Chain Reaction | Good VS Evil: The Fateful Curse | Frozen Dream | Eric Chronicles - Adventure to The Starting Position

Scripting stuff in VX Ace? Ever wanted to put script calls during playing? Perhaps RK5 Debug Console will help!

#14 KilloZapit

KilloZapit

FAIRY DUST! FAIRY DUST FOR EVERYONE! WHEE!

• 2677 posts
  • LocationFairyland!
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:03 AM

As a scripter I can only say... depends.

VXA: (Ruby)

• The script editor is much easier to work with. (open the editor, throw down some lines and run it)
  • The downside is that the source is poorly documented and when you get in deep you also end up guessing.

MV: (Java Script)

• No hidden source. (This is a big plus since you need less trial and error as you deep dive)
  • Plugin system, this is a pro and a con. Easy to turn on and of entire script files when debugging. Con, must re-import scripts after making changes. Forgetting to do so (easy mistake) might leave you clueless for hours.

If neither of these seems to outweigh the other, then I guess it comes down to what language you are most comfortable with.

In almost every other aspect MV is the superior. I personally prefer ACE since I mostly play around and experiment with mechanics.

I never tried MV due to it being too expensive, so I am a bit confused what you are talking about. No hidden source? What do you mean? Is the whole engine's source available or something? Everything not built in to the engine it's self is right there in VX Ace for you to play with. And VX Ace seems pretty well documented to me, at least for the basic built in stuff explained in the help file. Maybe it could use better documentation for the default scripts? I can see that.

I can't say much about how MV works but personally I like Ruby better then Javascript. Javascript is still pretty cool though, don't get me wrong. Also I have no idea what the whole 'plugin' thing is about, but frankly I don't see how it's any different from Ruby scripts. Except maybe more formalized? I also don't see how it makes it any easier to turn the scripts of and on when debugging really. You can just comment out scripts or even better wrap the whole thing in a conditional statement. I mean it would be easier if you could just disable whole scripts from the list, but whatever. Unless you mean you can turn plugins on and off live? How the heck does that work?

I mean in Ruby if you want to change something just alias and overwrite a method, or just overwrite it, or subclass it. I know Javascript is prototype based but doesn't the same principle apply? You change the prototype object and you can do basically the same thing. I admit in some ways Javascript is a bit more flexible about some things because you can just treat functions as any other object and object 'methods' are as far as I know just variables you can set, while in Ruby you have to do that in a slightly more roundabout way. But you can basically do more or less the same thing in both can't you?

Edited by KilloZapit, 13 May 2017 - 11:15 AM.

#15 Cookie Ninja

Cookie Ninja

Chocolate chip master!

• 654 posts
  • LocationLost woods
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:51 AM

No hidden source?

There are a number of classes/modules you can't find the actual source-code for. Even if the help file is there. It mostly tell us what those hidden classes do not how they do it. If you try to modify, your changes are not likely to work well. Hence the guessing game.

This is not the case with MV. Every single line that runs when you launch the game is available to you.

Java Script?

Yup, just another language. It mostly comes down to preference. Some functionality is more efficient in JS and some is lacking. But in essence you CAN do all the same things.

Plugin?

Instead of saving the code with the project file. All codes are saved in a separate folder in separate files. This is good since you can import the same plugin ("script") to all your projects easily via the plugin-manager. BUT when scripting now you need to have your editor of choice (I use sublime) open with all the tabs filled with all the code files. If you make any change to the code in any file. You need to go to the project and re-import that file for it to update.

Basically the plugin system is super sweet if you don't code. Download the file and put it in the correct folder, and you are good to go. You can even list user options (Yes like an option menu for the script) in the plugin manager.  If you do code however, it is more of a nuisance, not as bad as I might make it sound but I do prefer ACEs script editor hands down.

Hope I covered all your questions ;)

To me that is a great morale boost, it goes a long way in motivating to keep doing what I do :D

Cookie Scripts:

Spoiler

#16 KilloZapit

KilloZapit

• 2677 posts
  • LocationFairyland!
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:47 AM

So, what, the MV game engine basically 100% Javascript? Even the graphical stuff? Huh... I can actually see how that could be the case. Of course, there are implementations of the VX Ace engine that are fully open sourced, but that's not official.

Javascript can be a pretty neat little language really. I have used it before but I never have gotten deep enough into it to understand how the various common libraries and stuff work. Hehe, though I wonder how well Opal would work for MV. Probably be a pain in the ass.

I thought that's how plugins might work... Really I could probably whip up a similar/better plugin system for VX Ace if I wanted, I can see the argument for having one. Would save time coping/updating scripts across multiple projects at least.4

Hmmm.... How fast is MV? I know VX Ace can be kinda slow and clunky at times, though I think some alternative implementations help. I can see how MV could be slower or faster depending on the HTML5 engine.

Edited by KilloZapit, 16 May 2017 - 07:51 AM.

#17 Cookie Ninja

Cookie Ninja

Chocolate chip master!

• 654 posts
  • LocationLost woods
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:14 AM

Yup, all the game code is 100% JS and you can access all of it in the script files.

Performance, about the same as ACE. It used to have a memory leak, I haven't used it for about 6 months so I'm not sure if they fixed it yet though. :unsure:

Cookie Scripts:

Spoiler

#18 KilloZapit

KilloZapit

• 2677 posts
  • LocationFairyland!
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:42 AM

Memory leak huh? I wonder if it's related to the cache? Ace's didn't free resources, at least without my cache script. On the other hand, Javascript could be leaky in general.

#19 raymi100

raymi100

♥Pikachu♥

• 413 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, IL

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:57 AM

I just prefer Ace in general. MV is too clunky and updates far too often, plus it's expensive as hell. I'll stick with Ace :P

Hi! I'm Raymi! :)

#RIPBuddy

12/10/07 - 9/25/16

RPG Quiz Results:

Spoiler

Projects I support:

Spoiler

Resources/People I support:

Spoiler

qROLgzi.png

Come visit my windowskins thread in the Resource Showcase!

Also, come check out my windowskin shop :)

#20 PhoenixSoul

PhoenixSoul

Lady Fair Gamer

• 39 posts
  • LocationNülgârt, Âsürïa
  • RM Skill - Other

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:48 AM

OpenGL...

Seriously. DirectX, and I'll go with MV for a test run.

Or else, I'll stick with VX Ace.

I'm a novice at RGSS, but I understand it enough to know I'm not looking at a completely foreign language when I do open up the script editor.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: poll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users