Photo

RPG MAKER VX ACE VS MV

poll

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Poll: RPG Maker VX Ace vs MV

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Which do you prefer?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 KilloZapit

KilloZapit

FAIRY DUST! FAIRY DUST FOR EVERYONE! WHEE!

• 2677 posts
  • LocationFairyland!
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:54 AM

Eh? What about OpenGL and DirectX? Personally, I am excited for Vulkan to take over for both of them. :P

#22 PhoenixSoul

PhoenixSoul

Lady Fair Gamer

• 39 posts
  • LocationNülgârt, Âsürïa
  • RM Skill - Other

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:00 AM

My OpenGL is 1.4 and won't upgrade past that, and my DirectX is 11+ and kicks major ass.

I just need more RAM, and then...no more lag in RM or Phase Shift.

#23 KilloZapit

KilloZapit

• 2677 posts
  • LocationFairyland!
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:34 AM

Huh, wonder why your OpenGL won't upgrade? Maybe your driver for whatever card you use? And really the problem is DirectX is microsoft crap and relying on it reduces portability.

#24 PhoenixSoul

PhoenixSoul

Lady Fair Gamer

• 39 posts
  • RM Skill - Other

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:08 PM

It's my Processor, it's shit-standard and upgrading is something I can forget about because I don't even have money for food let alone a nice computer. Mine is refurbished and still cost me > $150.

Ah well...

But without DirectX, I can say goodbye to...

Old school gaming

Emulator gaming

Using controllers (um, a BIG DEAL)

among other things.

#25 KilloZapit

KilloZapit

• 2677 posts
  • LocationFairyland!
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:16 PM

Uh, you can do that all without DirectX... Besides I am not saying you shouldn't use it, I am just saying from a programing perspective it makes less sense to me then OpenGL (Or Vulkan, which is basically OpenGL's improved future replacement) for portability reasons. If you want to get anything to run on Linux (Android included) or Mac, DirectX is a no-go. This is one big advantage to using MV actually, it runs on more then Windows out of the box. VX Ace has some alternative implementations that can run on other systems though.

Edited by KilloZapit, 17 May 2017 - 12:24 PM.

#26 PhoenixSoul

PhoenixSoul

Lady Fair Gamer

• 39 posts
  • RM Skill - Other

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:36 PM

Mac...anything Apple can kiss it (not an Apple fan and never have been).

Linux...conceptually, it's cool, but it's still very alien to me...

Mobile devices...yeah...Android is about the only viable Mobile OS (Windows Mobile sucks and don't get me started on Mobile Mac)

I guess it is a battle between backwards compatibility and stomping forward into the future ass-naked...

DirectX is great for the former and OpenGL for the latter as far as PC goes...

But 64-bit BIOS is the best when it comes to consoles, that is, anything made past 1999.

Before 1999, there was not much of a BIOS presence for consoles aside from

Sony Play Station

Sega Saturn

Nintendo Game Boy

and those were either four or sixteen bit BIOS.

Don't get me started on the Commodore and Atari, those were computers by all design specifications.

Anyway, what were we talking about?

Right, Hardware and how much mine sucks. Hell, I can't even use XInput for my controller because it clashes on both software and hardware levels (because it is Logitech).

#27 lonequeso

lonequeso

One cheese to rule them all!

• 2901 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:48 PM

Oh, sweetie, there's an obvious solution to your problem. Rob a bank.  :lol:

Anyway, back to the subject at hand, if I wasn't so far into my current project, I'd switch over to MV. Support for Ace will only dwindle and MV's will only grow. Converting everything I've already done would be more trouble than it's worth and I'm not even sure here are MV versions of the scripts I have (which is  a lot.) If you're starting a new project, you might as well go with MV. For designing anyway. If you're a coder and more skilled with Ruby, you may want to use Ace for now. I'd imagine Ace is quite a bit cheaper by now. 

#28 PhoenixSoul

PhoenixSoul

Lady Fair Gamer

• 39 posts
  • RM Skill - Other

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:06 PM

"Ace is cheaper by now"

Yeah, great. That don't mean anything if you bought it once.

Anyway...(actually it is still about $70)

#29 KilloZapit

KilloZapit

• 2677 posts
  • LocationFairyland!
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:15 PM

Uh... I don't know where you get the idea that DirectX is better at backwards compatibility. After all, OpenGL has been around for quite a while, and lots and lots of older programs use it. Unless you mean with older hardware? I guess I could possibly see that? Honestly it's really more a problem of slightly worse driver support in general, as Microsoft has been doing shady deals with hardware manufactures for a while. But I am not sure that really matters that much unless you use more advanced features that older hardware can't handle anyway.

Not sure what you are talking about consoles and BIOS for though.

#30 PhoenixSoul

PhoenixSoul

Lady Fair Gamer

• 39 posts
  • RM Skill - Other

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:26 PM

I'm as much a console gamer as I am a PC gamer.

I got my first NES when I was a toddler, so gaming has been in my life my whole life.

Anyway, relevancy time. Yeah, older hardware, like the kind you get standard with a refurbished computer.

I mean, I have a basic Intel processor G33 or something like that, so OpenGL is bottlenecked.

But because it has MMX/2/3/etcetera, DirectX is a wonderfully working API.

Yeah I know, I should be running XP SP3.2, but it came with Windows 6.1 Home SP1 (It's 7 but you know, DIVIDE BY ZERO lol).

All my hardware is basic generic crap that if I upgraded it all would cost me > $1,500...

On disability, that's close to twice what I get a month...

Back to relevancy.

As long as I can do what I need to with what I have, it works for me. But I really wish that I knew more about RGSS so I could answer the question I posted myself...

#31 KilloZapit

KilloZapit

• 2677 posts
  • LocationFairyland!
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:40 PM

It's not like I am saying you should uninstall DirectX and never use any program that uses it or anything, I am just saying there is a significant advantage for those that want to program to use OpenGL as an API and not as much of a disadvantage. Still have no idea what that has to do with consoles or BIOSes though.

What was your question about RGSS?

#32 PhoenixSoul

PhoenixSoul

Lady Fair Gamer

• 39 posts
  • RM Skill - Other

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:53 PM

Ah, I posted a topic on a script. It works fine (and the rest is in the topic aforementioned).

I'm good at going into spin-off tangents that have a mediocre amount of relativity to the topic at hand. Fight me.

Well, like I said, the hardware I currently have favors DirectX over OpenGL. I cannot do anything at the moment to improve that.

In all due honesty, the 64-bit console BIOSes were the fastest to load, even faster than most computers. I can boot up a PS3 game twenty times faster than I can boot up Windows...(pointless explanation >.> )

Admittedly, I'm not much of a programmer, skill wise. My level of skill falls under generic knowledge to novice at best for every language I know about.

#33 KilloZapit

KilloZapit

• 2677 posts
  • LocationFairyland!
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:01 PM

Oh I think I helped you in that topic, I hope so!

Also, yeah consoles don't need special OS stuff as much so they boot faster, newer ones are becoming more and more like budget PCs though.

#34 PhoenixSoul

PhoenixSoul

Lady Fair Gamer

• 39 posts
  • RM Skill - Other

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:05 PM

Oh, but have you heard about Microsoft's new Xbox? The one with a Scorpion chip in it?

I think they're going for a PC/Console merge with it. If it turns out to be a flop, that will likely spell permanent disaster for them.

#35 Takeo212

Takeo212

Procrastination Expert

• + Sponsor
  • 1461 posts
  • LocationScotland
  • RM Skill - Game Developer

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:10 PM

I feel the topic is getting a little off topic ;P The discussion is about the RPG Engines, not other software.

Unless the information directly relates to the topics OP, I think we should avoid the off-topic stuff ;)

#36 PhoenixSoul

PhoenixSoul

Lady Fair Gamer

• 39 posts
  • RM Skill - Other

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:16 PM

Agreed.

It was something I had just thought of. Kind of scary though...

VX Ace, until I get a fair chance to test MV, and maybe still VX Ace.

I'd like to see VX Ace ported to a console, like the PS3 (which I have).

#37 KilloZapit

KilloZapit

• 2677 posts
  • LocationFairyland!
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:24 PM

Not gonna happen, at least not officially.

#38 lonequeso

lonequeso

One cheese to rule them all!

• 2901 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:21 PM

Awww... don't say that, Killozapit. All you have to do is believe! 'Member when RPG Maker was on PS2? Those were the days... *goes on old person rant on how everything in my generation was better than everything in this generation* 

(technically, I'm actually a millennial. I always thought I was at the tail end on Gen X, but I'm actually at the beginning of Millennial. Stuff from when was I was kid was still way better though.  :P )

What happened to the OP? Did we scare 'em away? *knocks on PC screen* Hellllloooo? McFly???

@Achromatic  After all this rambling we've done,  I'm curious to know if we were any help regarding your question.

#39 Vis_Mage

Vis_Mage

Project Perfection

• 183 posts
  • LocationRidge Island
  • RM Skill - Designer

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:44 PM

Id say that the better version depends on what you want your project to be. In my case, I'm using an Action Battle System (on map battles, like old school zelda) in my VxAce game. Although there is some good progress towards making an ABS in MV already, it just isn't close to the point of progression as some of the VxAce systems. 

Although, I'd be lying if I said I haven't heavily debated moving over to MV at least a dozen times regardless, simply due to how much more support it'll gather in the coming years, and the fact that I could just upscale/transfer all my Ace stuff over, bar the scripts.

#40 KilloZapit

KilloZapit

• 2677 posts
  • LocationFairyland!
  • RM Skill - Coder

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:01 PM

@Lonequeso: I mean, it could happen with MV or some other RPG Maker, but not with VX Ace.

... No wait, not even then. She said PS3, and I am pretty sure if an RPG Maker isn't out for it already, no one will bother.

Edited by KilloZapit, 18 May 2017 - 09:04 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: poll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users