PhoenixSoul

Music Player like in the GBA Final Fantasy games?

17 posts in this topic

I don't know if it is possible to do, or if RGSS has limits on this sort of thing, though to me it doesn't seem like there would be any.

Anyway, yes, I am aware, well aware of a script by Galv that has the ability to play music, but the unfortunate thing is that it is limited to BGM only, and I need BGM, BGS, ME, and SE accessibility.

I figured that the references would all be from four classes, but my limited skills in RGSS would more or less just have me making a mess.

I don't have an urgent need for this, but it would be nice to have because I don't really see this elsewhere.

Well, anyway, thanks in advance for aiding me.

I can't think of any scripts off the top of my head at this time, but the quickest (but least efficient) way to get around this temporarily is the answer you might dread: copy and paste all BGS, ME and SE files into BGM. 

If I can find any scripts, I'll send them your way, but for now, that's the only thing I can think of. 

(forgive me, I know this isn't helpful)

PhoenixSoul likes this

@DoctorArtist (lol interesting name)

I would do that, but then there is this one issue and that's the fact that BGM repeats. Any sound files put into the BGM folder will be treated the same and will repeat, which for BGS, is fine because those are designed for that but ME and SE are not meant for that.

Of course, one could try to make a Stop repeat play featurette tag for specified files, though I would have no clue as to how to implement this.

Are you still after this? I'm not making any promises, but if you are still interested I could have a go at it if I feel like coding later tonight (since there's very little coding left to do on my own project; it's all enemy design and testing from here on out).

Just in case - can you elaborate on how you want this to work, a bit?

Edited by Ninjamida
PhoenixSoul likes this

@Ninjamida Well, to be quite honest, I'd just like it to have the ability to use all four types of sound rather than just BGM. Of course, that also implies that ME and SE are treated the same way as the game treats them (non-repetitive).

If it were to have each of the four types separated by type and one would just go between them like how it is done in the item screen, that's fine as well.

I'd like to be able to add/remove individual sound files from the program as needed with script calls (which I believe is what Galv's script currently does), but it's not required.

Anything you or anyone else can do would be great and it amazes me that this hasn't already been covered...

Any preference as to how the user might access it? (I'm most likely going to do this from scratch rather than modify Galv's code, I find working with other people's code tricky.)

Do you want to be able to give the musics / sounds in the list different names from their filenames?

Do you want to have a list of musics / etc that are already available from the start of the game?

Any other features you'd like?

Answer as if Galv's script, the Final Fantasy GBA games, etc didn't exist (or as if you were talking to someone who only knew the general concept and not the specific details of them), and you were proposing a brand new idea. That's the best way to ensure we understand exactly what you want.

(Even if I don't end up doing it myself, these details will likely be useful to anyone who does. But if I do it, it's probably going to be done very specifically to what you're after rather than being a generic one with lots of config options - of course, I have no objection to someone use modifying it to such a state.)

PhoenixSoul likes this

@Ninjamida What it is I want to see, is what one would expect to see from a sound test screen, where all the sounds can be listened to, just like back in the old days of 16-bit gaming (well, not every game had this option but a good portion of them did).

To be able to define each music/sound name would be ideal, but of course, having the default be the filename should also be an option.

Well, as far as having the function available from the start should be something that could be an option, I am not likely to use it in that manner myself, but it should be an option if someone wants it that way. I also think that there should be a way to have a list of available music/sound definable in some way, as well as a script call to add/remove music/sound at any given time.

What it is I look for as far as access goes is potentially a menu/submenu item, as well as a script call.

What it is I want to see, is what one would expect to see from a sound test screen, where all the sounds can be listened to, just like back in the old days of 16-bit gaming

This won't fly. Not only are everybody's "expectations" different, but different games' sound tests have different features too.

Breath of Fire II's sound test was a pretty bones start-stop-select-track with the only other "feature" being stereo/mono audio selection. Tales of Phantasia's, on the other hand, had a full playback suite as well as DSP selection, volume control, pitch and transpose adjustment and midi spectrum analyzer. Meanwhile, the GBA version cut this down to just the full playback controls and volume adjustment.

A picture of what you're imagining would be ideal, but in lieu of that you still need a more concrete description of the feature set you want. Even for what you've listed, you haven't mentioned whether you want the format extension visible in the filename (if the user elects to use the filename as the displayed name) and you also haven't mentioned whether you want all of your BGM/BGS/ME/SE tracks in the same list or whether you want them separated into different sub-categories/tabs. You haven't mentioned how you want the tracks to be ordered on the list. You haven't mentioned whether you want the BGM/BGS to carry onto the map after exiting the sound room. Just because you have a scripter making your system for you does not mean that you're excused from having to think in detail about what you want/need.

If you just leave it all up to your scripter, you could very well end up with something you didn't want, or missing something you only realized you needed when you sat down to actually think about it.

What it is I look for as far as access goes is potentially a menu/submenu item

And this will also require adjustments to the menu system of your game, which means your scripter will need to know which menu scripts you are currently using.

@Ninjamida - I once modified Galv's music player myself (not to play other files, just to add a scrolling help bar displaying the playing track). I do indeed suggest doing this script from scratch - from what I could tell of Galv's script, it's been coded pretty specifically to deal only with BGM files and nothing else. The amount of additional work you'd need to incorporate the other types, I personally think you're better off starting fresh more or less.

Edited by Traverse

@Traverse I did specify on this issue.

11 hours ago, Traverse said:

...and you also haven't mentioned whether you want all of your BGM/BGS/ME/SE tracks in the same list or whether you want them separated into different sub-categories/tabs....

15 hours ago, PhoenixSoul said:

If it were to have each of the four types separated by type and one would just go between them like how it is done in the item screen, that's fine as well.

Then, there's this...

...you haven't mentioned whether you want the format extension visible in the filename...

That would be better off left in a description of the file. It wouldn't really make sense for that to be present.

You haven't mentioned how you want the tracks to be ordered on the list. You haven't mentioned whether you want the BGM/BGS to carry onto the map after exiting the sound room.

1) I thought I had. It should be user-defined, or if left undefined, as it would show up in the music player list in the editor.

2) That should be a feature one can turn on or off, and off by default (because what if this is an option outside of the game like in the Final Fantasy GBA games where it is a main menu option?)

2A) I also didn't think of that at all; it wouldn't make a lot of sense to me to have it do such.

@Ninjamida Alright then. Thanks for giving this a try at the very least.

So far, I have the back-end of this working - maintaining, loading and saving, etc of which tracks are unlocked.

I've added a configuration option so you can choose to either have it saved per-save-file, or on a global basis. The latter is VERY highly recommended if you plan to make it accessible from the title screen, but either can work if you only want it accessible from in-game.

Sound files can be added in three ways:

- Via an explicit script call

- Specified in the configuration to be automatically added at the start

- Automatic adding of a sound / music when it gets played (this can be turned on or off in the configuration)

It is possible to specify a custom name for a given sound or music file. If you don't, the filename (without any extension) will be used.

I've added config options for:

- Whether the music will continue to play when the user exits the sound test menu, or if it'll revert to the normal one

- Which types of sound will be available in the sound test menu - so for example, someone who only wanted BGM could simply disable the others, while someone who wants all four can enable all four

- Whether to sort alphabetically, or in a custom order (which will be based on the order they're listed in the Names section)

- Configuration options to add a menu option, both for the in-game menu and the title screen (two seperate options), to access this, without having to implement the addition yourself (directly calling the sound test via a script call will still be possible, of course)

- Custom names for each type of music. For example, if you find the term "BGM" to be user-unfriendly, you could have it called "Music" in the in-game menu instead.

I haven't yet started implement the UI side of this (ie: the actual menu the user will interact with). Does the above sound good to you, or is there anything else you'd like to have possible? Ideally, it'd be great to get those answers before I start working on the sound test menu itself - it's easier to change plans than to change already-written code, after all. ;)

EDIT: Upon reading through this topic again, I notice you also want to be able to *remove* sound files from it via script calls, though it's slightly unclear whether you were saying "I need this feature" or just "Galv's has add/remove via script calls, I want a similar means to add files". Do you want this functionality? I can add it quite easily if it's desired.

Edited by Ninjamida
PhoenixSoul likes this

1 hour ago, Ninjamida said:

...I notice you also want to be able to *remove* sound files from it via script calls, though it's slightly unclear whether you were saying "I need this feature" or just "Galv's has add/remove via script calls, I want a similar means to add files"...

Yes, I'd like to have that as an option.

One more thing. Will this work with other custom menus, or not? I actually do not know if I will be using one or not as of yet (still working out other things at the moment).

Other than that, yeah, sounds awesome, dear. Merci beaucoup!

- Whether to sort alphabetically, or in a custom order (which will be based on the order they're listed in the Names section)

There's a third possible ordering scheme for tracks too - insertion order (most recent unlocks at the end of the list). You realize this can also fall under the definition of "user-defined" ordering.

@PhoenixSoul

One more thing. Will this work with other custom menus, or not? I actually do not know if I will be using one or not as of yet (still working out other things at the moment).

This will depend on your custom menu. I can pretty much guarantee that the "configuration options to add a menu option" that Ninjamida mentions refers only to the default menu and title screen. If you are using a custom menu or title, it has a high chance of being incompatibile with anything that works off the default systems.

Some custom menus allow you to add additional buttons linking to custom scenes, so in that sense it will "work", but this depends on the script you're using.

PhoenixSoul likes this

Alright, I've completed this script and will send it to you in a private message.

Let me know when you've taken a look at it, and if you think any changes are needed or, in particular, if you encounter any bugs. Once we're both satisfied with it, I'll release it for the general public of the forum to use.

EDIT: Released, here: http://www.rpgmakercentral.com/topic/40993-jukebox-aka-sound-test/

Edited by Ninjamida
PhoenixSoul likes this