RagingHobo

Upgrade Issue Thread

124 posts in this topic

Yeah, I never said it was a good idea. You want to customize how you view a web page, that's what Stylish is for. Or RSS feeds I guess. Though a few more basic themes wouldn't hurt. Hehe, I kinda wanna see a 'Sky (Night)' theme with white on black and a nice stary night background at least. Even if it would probobly totally reveal all my hidden messages I have put everywhere... Oh no! Everyone could see how naughty I am!

Edited by Kayzee
PhoenixSoul and Rikifive like this

I know riki! We could all install Xp and switch last minute to Ubuntu, and then customize the experience on site based on linux, windows or apple. Then people would argue linux theme feels cheap and public domain, windows seems reasnobally priced but unreliable at times, and apple is just so expensive and secure that it's easy to never own one.

PhoenixSoul likes this

No no no, it should work like this: The Linux theme lets you set your own theme but gives you millions of options which most people don't understand or are too lazy to bother with and you have to SSH into the server to edit a bunch of scattered text files to use half of them, the windows theme loads a whole bunch of crap on your computer without any kind of user permission unless you edit your registry and has major security flaws that can let hackers log in as you, and the Apple theme only works if your computer and all it's software is brought from Apple unless to find a way to jailbreak it. :P

Edited by Kayzee
PhoenixSoul likes this

4 hours ago, Kayzee said:

Though a few more basic themes wouldn't hurt. Hehe, I kinda wanna see a 'Sky (Night)' theme with white on black and a nice stary night background at least. Even

Oh of course- That kind of selection is understandable- there is a reason why there's '(day)' in the name. It's all still WIP. :P 

As for the rest posts... Uh.. I'm curious about Commodore users... Perhaps we'll consider releasing custom themes on floppy disks. :giggle:

PhoenixSoul likes this

1 hour ago, Rikifive said:

Uh.. I'm curious about Commodore users... Perhaps we'll consider releasing custom themes on floppy disks. :giggle:

Well, we have in that list, the following people:
LGR
8-Bit Guy/Keys

Angry Video Game Nerd

Nostalgia Nerd

and myself if I ever get another...

True. Maybe themes related to certain engines.

Such as, RPGM themes are based around the base characters for that engine (such as Ralph, Aldo, and whatever the older engines were xD Forgot there names).

Unity can be something with the symbol and basic colour scheme for it.

ect, ect.

Themes will come to you as time goes on :) No hurry for it~

Wasn't there a theme related topic? I keep confusing this topic and that topic since both talk about the same subject :giggle:

Rikifive and PhoenixSoul like this

The 'Game Development' section isn't available to access unless you Google it by saying "RPG Maker Forums" and 'Editor Support and Discussion' from the options. You can't access it from the RPG Maker Central website.

EDIT: You can access it from the website on the computer, but not on other devices.

Edited by HonoredThieves7

11 hours ago, Takeo212 said:

True. Maybe themes related to certain engines.

Such as, RPGM themes are based around the base characters for that engine (such as Ralph, Aldo, and whatever the older engines were xD Forgot there names).

Unity can be something with the symbol and basic colour scheme for it.

ect, ect.

Themes will come to you as time goes on :) No hurry for it~

Wasn't there a theme related topic? I keep confusing this topic and that topic since both talk about the same subject :giggle:

There's a possibility to assign themes for specific sections, so that it is automatically changed dependable on where you'll go.

So...... Perhaps?

..But on the other hoof, it would be slightly invasive towards users, who prefer the bright or dark theme. For example some people prefer the dark look- now imagine a jumpscare of bright background with Erics. Not a problem for me to be honest, though I'm pretty sure somebody would point that out.

So let's leave that for a longer discussion. ;) 

Um.. yeah, apparently the theme is an issue now. :giggle:

9 hours ago, HonoredThieves7 said:

The 'Game Development' section isn't available to access unless you Google it by saying "RPG Maker Forums" and 'Editor Support and Discussion' from the options. You can't access it from the RPG Maker Central website.

EDIT: You can access it from the website on the computer, but not on other devices.

:thonking:

That's really weird, I'll see what my silly phone will tell about this...

Hmm it does work for me. I've checked the settings and everything seems to be okay. I really have no idea what's up with that. :( 

PhoenixSoul likes this

Actually, I found the problem. I clicked the little drop down arrow thing and closed it. Then I forgot I closed it, and didn't know how to open it again. It was nothing wrong with the site at all, just my bad memory.

kaz, Rikifive and PhoenixSoul like this

Well, this thread's cooled down a bit. Guess that means all is, more or less, well.

About the status updates on the home page. Is there a way to increase the visible character count or have the extended version continue to display on the homepage? Currently, clicking to extend an update takes you all the way to the user's profile, and even quite short status updates require this. 

I cannot find the rules to the forum... so I'm going to post a link in a status update because I don't see a rule against it :P

@Chungise You posted this because you already know we generally don't approve of that >.>

Link removed.

3 hours ago, Tarq said:

About the status updates on the home page. Is there a way to increase the visible character count or have the extended version continue to display on the homepage? Currently, clicking to extend an update takes you all the way to the user's profile, and even quite short status updates require this. 

Perhaps it will be possible to increase the visible character count.

Personally I'd prefer a 'show more' button, but implementing this will require some magic, so for now I'll try to simply give them more space.

Either way, you still need to go to user profile to post a comment, so there's not much of difference. On the home page it's just a quick preview- to see all full statuses and have the ability to conveniently comment on them I prefer going to BROWSE > STATUS UPDATES.

19 minutes ago, Asharonapaul said:

I cannot find the rules to the forum... so I'm going to post a link in a status update because I don't see a rule against it :P

Yes, this is not mentioned, because it is allowed, to some extent.

6 minutes ago, Tarq said:

@Chungise You posted this because you already know we generally don't approve of that >.>

Link removed.

Actually it's a bit tricky subject.

Personally I think, that the link he posted was absolutely okay. It's not allowed to constantly link/advertise completely random things without explanation that's true, but @Asharonapaul has built his status update well. It was explained what we can expect after clicking the link, plus, it was related to his works, which is fine.

As for me- linking to youtube videos would be even fine, as long as there would be any meaning behind this. This is a status update, so posting something like:

I just bumped into that song and it's now stuck in my head. x3
<yt video>

~in my opinion is a legit status update, because it talks about 'status' of the user, who posted that.

We're on the internets, so let's not live under a rock. x3

PhoenixSoul likes this

20 minutes ago, Rikifive said:

As for me- linking to youtube videos would be even fine, as long as there would be any meaning behind this. This is a status update, so posting something like:

~in my opinion is a legit status update, because it talks about 'status' of the user, who posted that.

We're on the internets, so let's not live under a rock. x3

I still remember, fondly, when people came here to talk about game development. If they just want to divert traffic to other unrelated projects they can pay for affiliate marketing like the rest of the net.

But, as said, this has been the subject of much discussion elsewhere already and this thread has enough going on without debating forum policy. 

@Tarq it is a project I've worked in ace before on. if anyone remembers when I was teaching myself ruby I made a text adventure, and riki and cookie ninja told me to make graphics because I had a coordinate system. So my first made on my own game in ace was Cupid's Universe, which was based off of the novel and graphic novel, Cupid's Rising. I thought the community would like to know about it, and I was against making a topic for it originally, as I received criticism on webs and here for having posted a ruby project that was not made with an RM engine.

PhoenixSoul likes this

1 hour ago, Rikifive said:

Personally I'd prefer a 'show more' button, but implementing this will require some magic

If you need a Javascript wizard, I may be able to help.

PhoenixSoul likes this

3 hours ago, Rikifive said:

Perhaps it will be possible to increase the visible character count.

Thanks for the update Ponyman :)

Rikifive likes this

7 hours ago, Tarq said:

The amount of displayed lines in recent status update widget has been increased from 3 to 10. I think it will be enough considering, that it's not possible to reply from there anyway.

It took me some time to locate that, because I was unaware, that it requires some time to apply. That was misleading me for a pretty long time until I noticed that. I didn't have idea if the changes did something or not.. The code isn't nicely readable like in Ruby, for example. :P

1 hour ago, Shiggy said:

If you need a Javascript wizard, I may be able to help.

It uses HTML and CSS. :P 

I took a look at how the code looks like in that area and that would require deeper research.. If there would be 'show more' button, then it would be nice to implement the reply button along with text editor as well. - now these would be tricky, as many things are located all over the place in different templates... Perhaps I'll be slowly looking at this from time to time.

Oh and also the Forum Rules have been added to the top menu.

PhoenixSoul likes this

To make a button that modify what is visible, you usually integrate Javascript inside your HTML page. I opened the dev tools on Chrome and I'm testing it at this moment. I will send you my code when it is finished. 

Edit : I didn't manage to do it :(

Edited by Shiggy

May be unrelated to update and/or have already been mentioned, but the "Read more" links next to the "We are not responsbile for any disputes" notices in the main forum listing just point to the main www.rpgmakercentral.com URL rather than any "more" to read.

Have not noticed any other issues myself.

It most likely is related to the update, because apparently links there got replaced by dummy links, that were only refreshing the page. If you were seeing this message in the section, the 'read more' was linking to that section, basically refreshing your page. In the editor, there weren't any links at all, so it was just glitched. I can't seem to locate that page now to re-link it, so I've just removed these for the moment...

It wasn't mentioned before, good catch. Thanks.

PhoenixSoul likes this