raymi100

Maps from my project!

11 posts in this topic

Howdy howdy~

So, I recently learned how to parallax map, and I've been having loads of fun with it :) Here's a few maps I made for my project using parallax mapping~

My main character's hometown:

cSbiapZ.jpg

The living room in her house:

tvxqtur.png

And her bedroom:

5T26FW7.png

Any feedback would be much appreciated! And thanks in advance :giggle:

Edited by raymi100
Correcting a formatting error.

These are some nice looking maps. The sizes of the maps are pretty good. They're not too small, yet not too big and look pretty easy to navigate without getting lost.

There is one little bit that looks a little weird to me. The second picture where you have the living room shown has shadows on the outsides of the walls to the right. Maybe that won't show when the game is running since it'll mostly be covered in black, but on the picture it still shows the shadows. Not sure if you were aware =P

Either way, I like these maps and the tiles you chose for them!

PhoenixSoul and raymi100 like this

6 hours ago, KaisoAri said:

These are some nice looking maps. The sizes of the maps are pretty good. They're not too small, yet not too big and look pretty easy to navigate without getting lost.

There is one little bit that looks a little weird to me. The second picture where you have the living room shown has shadows on the outsides of the walls to the right. Maybe that won't show when the game is running since it'll mostly be covered in black, but on the picture it still shows the shadows. Not sure if you were aware =P

Either way, I like these maps and the tiles you chose for them!

Thank you so much! Yeah, the shadows won't show in-game because transparency turns black when you play the game :P It does kinda look odd in the picture, though. I'll see what I can do about removing them~  I really appreciate your feedback and I'm glad you like the maps! :D

PhoenixSoul and KaisoAri like this

If the shadows don't show in game, don't spend the time removing them. I learned long ago to leave stuff like that be because those few extra minutes add up quick, and that time can be far better spent procrastinating 

Good looking maps! My personal preference is to have doors on the buildings. Makes them look more complete. The bedroom is a little cramped visually, but there's plenty of space for the character. I'm assuming the tops of the lamps at the bottom have * passability. Being able to walk behind stuff adds a lot more depth to maps. I have more than a few maze like areas and puzzles that take full advantage of it.

Nice work!

Huh. Those are some really neat maps.

Hell, they look like they were made within the editor (I guess one could do that anyway and then just use a script to take a picture of the map - did this to make map images for Galv's Map Screen Script for a game project I've since shelved).

I kinda want to try my hand at this kind of mapping at some point, though I'm unsure of how it works.

raymi100 likes this

I also will be doing parallax mapping at some point, but right now I'm not sure how it's done. There are tutorials, but it looks like a lot of work. Probably won't get to doing this until my game demo is complete.

On 10/12/2017 at 2:14 PM, lonequeso said:

If the shadows don't show in game, don't spend the time removing them. I learned long ago to leave stuff like that be because those few extra minutes add up quick, and that time can be far better spent procrastinating 

Good looking maps! My personal preference is to have doors on the buildings. Makes them look more complete. The bedroom is a little cramped visually, but there's plenty of space for the character. I'm assuming the tops of the lamps at the bottom have * passability. Being able to walk behind stuff adds a lot more depth to maps. I have more than a few maze like areas and puzzles that take full advantage of it.

Nice work!

Thank you! I bothered to remove the shadows because I'm OCD AF and they just don't look right :P Also, there *is* doors on the buildings, they just don't show cuz the map screenshot script I have is set not to show events~ The lamps at the bottom are indeed made so you can pass under them, and you're right, it does add depth to the maps! Thank you for your feedback <3

On 10/12/2017 at 2:22 PM, PhoenixSoul said:

Huh. Those are some really neat maps.

Hell, they look like they were made within the editor (I guess one could do that anyway and then just use a script to take a picture of the map - did this to make map images for Galv's Map Screen Script for a game project I've since shelved).

I kinda want to try my hand at this kind of mapping at some point, though I'm unsure of how it works.

Hehe, in theory, they kinda *were* made in the editor :D I always make my base maps in the editor and then use a map screenshot script to take pictures of it. It's easier than making the whole thing from scratch :) Parallax mapping isn't too difficult, I used a tutorial to learn how to do it. If I find the one I used, I'll be sure to share the link~ Thanks for your feedback!! <3 

On 10/12/2017 at 8:16 PM, roninator2 said:

I also will be doing parallax mapping at some point, but right now I'm not sure how it's done. There are tutorials, but it looks like a lot of work. Probably won't get to doing this until my game demo is complete.

There are some great tutorials to use, and it *is* a lot of work, but it's totally worth it IMO. It took me three years to learn how to do it, though :( Best of luck to you!

lonequeso, KaisoAri and PhoenixSoul like this

I really love the layout of the maps. The only thing I want to comment on that wasn't said before is maybe vary the house designs in the hometown map a little bit. Thats alot of square, wooden houses. Keep the function of the building in mind (say, an inn would probably have 2 floors or be a longer house or maybe they have an addition/shed like area)

Otherwise keep it up :D

13 hours ago, 2BitsLP said:

I really love the layout of the maps. The only thing I want to comment on that wasn't said before is maybe vary the house designs in the hometown map a little bit. Thats alot of square, wooden houses. Keep the function of the building in mind (say, an inn would probably have 2 floors or be a longer house or maybe they have an addition/shed like area)

Otherwise keep it up :D

Heh yeah I'd vary the design on the houses if I knew how to make different styles of houses :( I've tried to make other styles and they just all turn out horrible, that's why I stick to that design :P I totally get what you're saying, though. Thanks for your feedback and I'm glad you like the maps! <3 

PhoenixSoul likes this

Hey-oh! I love the look of them and the lay-out of the maps! Coming from a Parallaxing standing-point and what all you can do with it, there's a lot you can do to set a scene. A lot of it actually comes from lighting and understanding color combinations and why things look good together and why they don't. In lighting, there's objects in your scene that you can use to portray a mood or setting. Finding ways to draw the players eyes to things can really highlight what you want the player to interact with. It can also be used to show the player where you want them to go, such as lighting up the next room's doorway as a way of saying, "Go this way!".

Now on to color theory and color combinations, in general you should always be looking for ways to find and incorporate complimentary colors, or compound colors. These involve colors that basically cancel each other out, or otherwise known as "opposite colors" they create sort of the largest contrast and on the color spectrum are "opposite" each other. This goes hand-in-hand in also setting a mood with just colors alone. For instance finding "warm" and "cold" colors can instantly change what the scene is about. I've made two quick examples sort of showing what I mean.

JEIjZ7c.png

With this image here, what I've done is find my lighting source, which is the TV. Using a dark blue overlay to show a creepy or darker setting, and then incorporated a game element of lighting up the next room over to show that the player should go here next. I then put static on the TV and added tiny spec's of white around the image for dust. Going back to complimentary colors, Blue and Orange, from the lighting of the next room and blue from the TV create a great contrast which you can see in a lot of games like Chrono Trigger.

Q8GBMAa.png

For the second image, I changed my lighting source to the fireplace and made it much more brighter. Then setting a warm orange overlay has changed the mood of the scene to something less chilling or unsettling. 

For what I recommend, I'd use "Adobe's Color Wheel" to find your complimentary colors if you're unsure of what works together and doesn't. (But, don't let this be the end all-be all for everything you do, always use what you personally think looks nice).

https://color.adobe.com/

Edited by Izu.
raymi100, ECG Wolf and PhoenixSoul like this

On 11/10/2017 at 5:15 PM, Izu. said:

<snippety doo da, snippety eh>

Whoa, those are some really great tips! Thank you so, so much :D I'll definitely keep that in mind when I'm parallax mapping~ It'll really help to give some more depth to my game!

PhoenixSoul likes this