boyflea

artist
How can I make my game more appealing to the RPGM community?

8 posts in this topic

Hi, 
I've been developing my RPG Maker VX Ace game for about a year now, and it is live on Steam:

PUBLISHED STEAM GAME

From the feedback I get, it goes along the lines of a 'a love letter written in crayon'.

[IMG] 

While I have received a lot of feedback and support from other communities, am finding it difficult to make this game attractive to the RPGM fans.

So here I am: looking for advice and potentially volunteers looking to get a credit on a released Steam game.
Even if you cannot directly help, would love to hear what you think of the current art-style and happy to discuss why certain artistic choices were made.

Where should I go from here? Thanks for your time. 

Idk the original of this game so I cant give too much feedback in that regard. I would say that unless you are an accomplished artist with a recognisable style (say, Hirei or Amysaurus) then it would probably be better to focus on as direct an emulation of the original graphics as you can muster; The faithful are always going to criticise any changes to their beloved source but at least if you've got your own style then you're competent enough to make a good case for the change. 

As for targeting certain demographics, well, you can't please everyone all the time. The RM community are typically too busy devving themselves to pay too much attention to others' games. Ofc, showing a sincere interest in others' projects tends to foster goodwill and mutual interest between devs.

There's also the contradiction of the monopolisation of traffic by the 'real' forums; a many times larger audience for your game but its tantamount to being in a cramped room with everyone shouting.

As for the recruitment side of this thread....What are you actually looking for? You want people to volunteer for what exactly?

Yeah, I feel like most people in the RPG Maker community don't really play other people's RPG Maker games that much. Heck, if you think about it most of the more successful RPG Maker games have gotten big because they ditched a lot of the RPG gameplay and formed their own community around horror adventure style games.

Also: I had no idea until I saw the store page that your game was free to play. I thought there would be a paywall involved as a steam game, and I don't know about anyone else but I am infinitely more interested now that I know that's not the case.

1 hour ago, \[T]/arq said:

.... it would probably be better to focus on as direct an emulation of the original graphics as you can muster; The faithful are always going to criticise any changes to their beloved source...

now that I can agree with.

... its tantamount to being in a cramped room with everyone shouting....

As for the recruitment side of this thread....What are you actually looking for? You want people to volunteer for what exactly?

I do agree, it does seem with such large projects, people are more focussed on what they are doing. When I joined here early this year, I did take time to review other people's work: but of course we all get caught up in our own endeavours...

So yes, 'recruitment' is an odd idea, but was looking at my own work and thinking 'I know I could do that better' - but wanted to know, given its origin, whether people are turned on or off by this style: it is not a typical RPGM game. So given that, woudl hiring an artist be advisable? I'm not sure what to do tbh. :)

43 minutes ago, Kayzee said:

Yeah, I feel like most people in the RPG Maker community don't really play other people's RPG Maker games that much. ...

Also: I had no idea until I saw the store page that your game was free to play. I thought there would be a paywall involved as a steam game, and I don't know about anyone else but I am infinitely more interested now that I know that's not the case.

hi Kayzee! yes, but I think we are all like this: perhaps I am just ignorant of RPGM community and I need to redress that.

And yes, this is a totally free game, no DLC or any of that nonsense. Investigating how Steam works as a distribution model has been a pet project of mine... [PS: Kayzee, you even cameo in this game... ;) ]

Structurally, I love this game and believe in it. Technically, it is a bit shaky in places, but proud of how I've pushed some parts really hard...

The music is awesome - but is not mine of course. But the artwork is all mine, and perhaps I should be looking, at the very least, for a fresh pair of eyes, preferably one with a good eye for RPGM games already. I think I'm classically stuck with a game that has depth and is engaging, but perhaps a bit of a visual mess: maybe the kitchen sink needs removing, etc.

So I'm not sure why I'm posting here, but am open to ideas. Apologies if this is the wrong place to go, but it seems a good place to start.

Again, thanks for your comments, they are giving me food for thought, :).

Edited by boyflea

Honestly I always thought the art kinda had a deliberately retro charm to it, but it could probobly stand for some cleaning up.  I like the general color choices, but a lot of it seems kinda sloppily upscaled. I am also not a fan of the whole ABS thing, mostly because all the RPG Maker ABS scripts I have seen have been pretty awful. It looks like way too much of a chaotic mess to play most of them if you ask me. But not much you can do about that if you want to keep any of the core gameplay.

Edited by Kayzee

Maybe I can't fix the ABS, but I'll tidy up the artwork. Got a lot of flak for the ABS - and for those outside the RPGM community, they really hate it. Tempted to provide an option to play first-person turn-based in combat... might help salvage this game :).

However, that said that - have spent a lot of time trying to get ABS to feel okay: followers act ok, lot of keys required though.

Would appreciate your opinion either way: seems RPGM community gave up on ABS and Falcao's offering in 2014 - so if it is unloved then let me know if my version is work keeping or ditching, in your opinion. It is pared down and rebuilt, but it is not the most intuitive system is it.

X Kayzee: hope you enjoy a game with THREE fairies in it anyway (you can go to the Tavern and play with all 3... I am accomodating ;) )

PS- artwork amended. :)

Edited by boyflea

Well, Tarq hit the points that I feel would need to be stated, but something I want to mention is that as long as your game feels unique, then it should at least get some positive review.

Thankyou Rezanta! I have taken some ideas on-board and updated the game on-sote... I hope people appreciate that it is unique - and hope some even find it fun to play. again, thankyou! I am truly greatful for all feedback!