Ninjamida

Legends of an Otherworld [Sidequest / fixes update 2017-08-04]

43 posts in this topic

Legends of an Otherworld

Welcome! To those who haven't already seen it yet, Legends of an Otherworld is a game I've been working on. The gameplay is heavily inspired by Final Fantasy X in particular.

Current version: Version 025

This game does use only RTP/charagen and freely-available graphics (some with slight modifications); I'm not an artist, I'm more of a scripter/battle designer myself. So the primary focus is on gameplay, although I'm trying to make the story good as well. I seriously doubt it'd beat most other projects out there, but who knows, maybe it's better than I realise - it's definitely not total crap. It does definitely get a lot stronger the further you get into the game, much more so than the basic "OMG we needa get home" plot that starts it off. But my primary focus will always be on gameplay. Not saying I'll never go through and replace them with custom resources, if/when I get more able to do it, but it's definitely not a priority.

This game is somewhat on the difficult side, so not reccomended for those who like easier games where you can just Attack everything to death without any thought. Also not for those whose solution is "grind grind grind"; while possible to win that way, it's impractical. Reccomended for those who like to come up with clever ways to beat bosses.

Story
Two young best friends and cousins, Tara Ascira and Leanna Haysworth, awake to find themselves in a strange place, some kind of cave unlike anything they've seen before. After realising they have no idea how they got there, they decide to do the only thing that makes sense – look for a way out, then make their way back to their hometown of Saria to look for answers, only to be thrown into jail on arrival simply because they don't want to go back in there to investigate it. Their only route of escape turns out to be through that very place again. Shortly after escape, a potential link between the unusual cave and an ancient legend emerges... could it be true?

And so, the legend begins...

Characters
Tara Ascira
A young fighter from Saria and the main character of Legends of an Otherworld: Curse of Saria. She can be playful at times but is generally a very mature and serious person for her age.

Leanna Haysworth
Tara's best friend and cousin, also a fighter. Unlike Tara, she is always in a fun-loving mood and sometimes finds it hard to take anything seriously, but is very reliable when she needs to be.

Harley Ryder
A white mage from the town of Nyatta. He is a very down-to-earth type who likes to know everything about everything, and spends most of his time investigating legends and mysteries.

Amanda Surugie
A black mage from Nyatta. Despite her young age, she is very grown-up, and is the main protector of the town. She often works with Harley on his investigations but prefers working alone.

Ivy Sorra
A mysterious blue mage. She tends to be very much the quiet type who usually keeps to herself. She is very interested in monsters, perhaps being the reason she became a blue mage.

Alicia Bascoe
A secretive young girl trained as both a thief and a ninja. She is excessively overconfident, partly but not completely justified by her high level of fighting skill. She is very unbelieving of legends.

Vince Bailey
A former Guardian who claims to have fought Lunaris 29 years ago. He is trained in the use of support skills, making him useful in a group but useless alone in combat.

World Background
Legends of an Otherworld: Curse of Saria takes place in an unnamed world. This world is quite young; the age is estimated at around 200 years. The population of this world are also generally quite young - people tend to not live to older ages, although there are exceptions. Religion is not a major element in the world; many people are not even aware of myths, let alone have beliefs in them. However, legends of the world's creation do exist and a cult dedicated to the evil force of one such legend are known for causing trouble throughout the world; this same legend has also been of interest to those studying the origin of the world in recent times.

Screenshots
I'll spoiler tag these to save a bit of space. They contain, at worst, extremely mild spoilers. I don't even consider them THAT. Please note that some of these are from older versions and there are differences in the more up-to-date versions (for example, the turn order bar is now just above the input window rather than along the top of the screen).

NOfqVXF.png
srE5Q6i.png
76P0miR.png
K3xXJFq.png
lFogNrr.png
vhg42S7.png
C3104Dh.png
iDH83W7.png
D8O3jdL.png
limK2jq.png

And here's a video showing off the battle system. This is from an older version of the game, but it's still mostly the same anyway. Sorry about the bad sound quality. Please note that the battle shown here is actually considered one of the best in the game by people who've given me feedback; so I'll try to replace it with a more average one at some point.

Features

• CTB Battle System
  • "Ability" system in place of armor
  • AP-based flexible skill learning
  • Complex enemy AI. See below for more info.
  • A LOT of gameplay. One LP'er has worked up a 40 hour savefile, still hasn't completed all available content, and there's still a bit more content to come.

About the Enemy AI, I felt the default options were far from sufficient, so this game features a system in which some enemies (many, especially random encounters, do still use the default system) determine their moves from a script rather than the default condition+priority=action method. This allows for smart use of status spells, more complex patterns, and so on. To give one example, an early-game boss will cast Cure only on an ally who'll actually benefit from it, and will heal herself of Silence after 3 turns the first time, and 2 turns after that. Another enemy, an optional boss, will counterattack with random status effects, but never one that the target already has - and he'll use Darkness first if he was hit with a physical attack, and Silence first if it was a magical attack. One of the bosses around the middle makes VERY smart use of Haste and Regen, and will stop casting Cure when inflicted with Zombie. These are just some examples of the complex AI found in this game (of course, not every enemy has such a complex pattern, some are very simple).

Content Warnings
The content in this game is pretty mild, shouldn't offend most people. There's a bit of harsh language here and there, but that's about it. (Now, whether the difficulty may offend people is another matter...)

Credits
I hope this is everyone. If I've missed anything, feel free to point it out!
Enterbrain - This one's obvious. RMVXA itself, as well as the default scripts and RTP resources, and the Samurai Addon Pack.
Ninjamida - Well, it's my game... so pretty much all the game design. And about half of the custom scripts.
Yanfly - The other half of the custom scripts. All freely released ones.
Thalzon - HEAPS of freely-released battler sprites. You're a legend, dude.
PentagonBuddy - Freely-released battler sprites.
Scinaya - Freely-released battler sprites.
Alt_Jack - Freely-released battler sprites.
Geluf - Freely-released music.
Geowolf - Freely-released music.
Squaresoft/Square-Enix - Final Fantasy, especially Final Fantasy X, was a huge inspiration to this game. So I feel credit is due there.

Links
No, Link isn't in this game sorry.
...okay, that was a terrible joke. Here you go:

Demo V025

Demo V025 - Upgrade from V023 or higher (smaller download size)
Official Facebook Page

Requires RPG Maker VX Ace RTP

Note that the term "Demo" is used here very loosely. It's more like "work in progress full game" - in fact, this "demo" contains 100% of storyline content and 90% of sidequest content intended for the final version, though I'll probably do some further rebalancing once everything is complete.

Save files from versions prior to V016 are no longer usable. Save files from versions between V017 and V018 are not directly loadable but can be recovered, PM me if you need help with such save files (though I'd recommend starting a new game if coming from a version this old anyway). Save files from V020 onwards are fully supported.

LPs, Guides, etc
If you want to make an LP of this game, write a guide for it, whatever... go ahead! You don't need to ask me. =)

Known LPs:
SentinelProxima's LP (covers most currently-existing content, plus a low-level-game bonus series)

Changelog

Warning: Although I try to keep changelogs free of any significant spoilers, they may contain minor spoilers, especially in relation to game mechanics (as opposed to plot details).

V024

Spoiler

-- New Content --
( None )

-- Changes --
Atomic Blast's description has been slightly altered (the effect is unchanged)
Made some minor changes to the last three bosses
MP Direct can no longer interact with Half/One MP Cost
Made a few minor modifications to the layout of the second half of the final dungeon
Judgement no longer ignores the enemy's Spirit stat
Immunize now protects against Virus in addition to the existing statuses it protected against

-- Fixed Bugs --
(May be others, as I don't always note every bug that I fix)
If multiple battles occur during a single event sequence, automatic statuses may not apply immediately in the 2nd and onwards
One warp in the final dungeon would require the player to press Enter to activate it after the first usage
An optional boss that is incomplete and should not yet be accessible, was
If MP Direct is equipped, all attacks that cost MP but not BP become free to cast
If MP Direct is equipped, Smokescreen and Crippling Strike can be used from the menu
Triumph does not heal Virus before trying to heal HP (it does heal Zombie correctly)
One boss opens the fight with Hellspawn then almost never uses it again, but is meant to use it fairly often
After fighting the final monster hunter boss, incorrect music may play in random encounters (revisit the plains to fix)

V023

Spoiler

NEW CONTENT
-----------
The entire storyline is now playable
The remainder of the Monster Hunter sidequest is now playable
Four new equippable abilities have been added, though one is currently inaccessible

CHANGES
-------
Multi Resist and Multiproof now include Virus and Slow (but still not Death)
Multiproof is no longer buyable; most shops that had it now offer Multi Resist (if they didn't already)
Ultra Damage is no longer obtainable in the Sysona Forest
The Ability Shop in Nyatta gains a few extra abilities once the events in Yuvia are completed
Some enemies that previously had no steal items, now do

FIXED BUGS
----------
(I don't necceserially take note of every bug as I fix it, so there may be more than this)
When regular physicals are used as a counterattack, the animation is not displayed
A certain Water-elemental optional boss takes normal damage from Water instead of absorbing it
Fighting a few battles inbetween Monster Hunter bosses becoming available isn't required
Some optional bosses became available later than intended
Half BP Cost does nothing

I didn't keep very detailed changelogs for previous updates, sorry.

Edited by Ninjamida

A few more bugfixes; and since people are probably getting annoyed with all the bugfix updates, I decided to slip a bit of extra content into the latest one too. =)

Content Warnings

The content in this game is pretty mild. There are somewhat strong religious themes, including atheistic views expressed by some characters...

Does "strong religious themes" or "atheistic views" really necessitate a content warning? The devil-worshipping part is a fair warning, and is normally labeled as "occult themes". But there's nothing particularly inordinary about religion or atheism. It is the 21st century, after all. Any extreme content related to either would be suitably covered by "occult themes", as neither religion by itself nor the lack thereof are considered by the mainstream as harmful to minors in any way.

Anyway, I didn't jump in just to rain on your parade--actually I'm going to try this out and post feedback later. :)

GAME LOG:

:o Started Playing: July 8, 2012 : First conversation scene should have a very soft background music dude, it creeps me out when its so silent...

Not too shabby for a game, looks promising in fact...

Introduction caught my interest, well done

Very informative tutorials...

What surprised me (for now) is how they escape one by one...

Continued playing the game. . . . . . :D

-The encounter rate for the first dungeon in the game seems a bit high. I really wanted an autobattle command by the second floor.

-Unpleasant first dungeon design.

-This is quite nitpicky, but you may want to change the name or at least the abbreviation of money. I keep thinking I earn thousands after a battle ends. Use something without a K in it. ;)

Sorry, I gave up. >.< Ran out of potions before I was able to find the way out of the first dungeon. In that time, wandering around and getting mobbed by enemies, my characters had gained 5 levels--might want to check balancing, unless that was your intention.

I kinda agree about the encounter rate in that first dungeon, to be honest. Might cut it down in future.

The first dungeon is MEANT to be weirdly designed.

You're the first person to mention that about the money. But it is an interesting thought. Still, at least the expression of "Kx" is global, you'd also therefore think of the costs of stuff in thousands too. So it just sounds like huge amounts of money always changing hands. xDDD

I usually find myself hitting Lv5 a bit later than the first dungeon, although I do also tend to play low-levelled as I've said. Either way, some of the bosses remain surprisingly hard even at higher levels (the final boss in this demo, while beatable without any reliance on luck or rare items as low as Lv18-ish, one of my IRL friends had trouble with at average Lv30). Higher levels don't reward you nearly as much as better equipment and strategic use of abilities; so it's not a biggie. For example, the second boss isn't much harder at starting levels than at Lv5-6. However, lack of strategy WILL get you killed.

Edited by Ninjamida

Well. Haven't had as much time to work on this lately, still been progressing ever so slowly though... I've replaced all the default animations with custom ones (still using RTP graphics, but not the default animations). I've also adjusted everyone's HP, a few characters are slightly worse off at lower levels but most are slightly better off. At higher levels, everyone is better off than they previously were, significantly so as levels get higher (Lv99 values are 1.65x what they were before, but the growth rate has been changed for everyone. Off the top of my head, Leanna and Amanda are slightly worse off until about Lv35ish, while everyone else is at least slightly better off from any point at which the difference is noticable.)

EDIT: And uploaded the game with the custom anims and this HP adjustment, as well as more new gameplay! A few small tweaks elsewhere as well (most notably, reduced encounter rate in the starting dungeon and Nyatta Forest, and a couple of new abilities for some characters). Links in the first post. One long-overdue fix: You can now change the target party of hit-all skills! =D

Edited by Ninjamida

Finally, released an update! Adds only 30mins-1hr of storyline gameplay, but adds 45mins-1hr30 of sidequest gameplay as well, as well as several tweaks to the gameplay mechanics.

Saves are still backwards compatible, but I can't guarantee it 100% glitch-free for this update. I would reccomend starting a new game if you're not too far into it, but you're welcome to try. One point at which you definitely should not load an old save - if you have acquired the items from the guard before the Transient fight, but not actually beaten Transient yet. If you're at that point, beat Transient before updating.

New update again.

Adds more gameplay, the game will adjust items in old-version saves to be in line with what's available (mostly just equipment - it doesn't take away any standard items), will repair glitched saves from the previous version by the Monster Hunter glitch, and the encounter rate has been reduced globally.

Links in the first post.

V017A update has now been added. Seems I forgot to update things here for a while since the topic still referred to V014 (even though V014A, V015, V016 and V017 were also released).

Here are the changelogs for V015 onwards (I don't seem to have my notes on what was updated in V014A anymore). Note that all updates with a new number (ie: V015, V016 and V017, but not V014A or V017A) also contain new content.

V015
Completing a certain part of the Monster Hunter sidequest at a certain time could lead to a storyline event not triggering, thus preventing further progress; this was fixed in V015.

V016
Switching characters in-battle is now possible.
AP level cap is now applied on a per-character basis rather than to the party as a whole.
If you're underlevelled for the monster you're fighting you gain more EXP, and if overlevelled, less.
AP level cap now results in a gradual drop-off rather than instantly none if your level is too high.
Alicia's "Mix" skill now works.
Critical hit bonuses from weapons no longer apply to items (only to physical attacks).
All status effects that previously lasted 7 turns now last only 5, except Regen which is now 10.
Dispel/Dispona used by enemies previously bypassed Reflect but didn't actually remove it. It now removes it like it should. (Dispel/Dispona cast by your characters always removed Reflect correctly.)
Blessing usually healed the wrong amount to the first character in the party, this is fixed.
It was possible to skip a segment of the storyline, which also resulted in missing a party member, this is now fixed.
V016+ cannot load save files from V015 or earlier.

V017
Enemies would not counterattack if you reflected a spell off yourself instead of targetting them directly, this is now fixed.
V017 can load saves from the release version of V016; it cannot load saves from the debug version of V016. If you don't specifically know that you have the debug version, you don't have it, so you probably don't need to worry about this.

V017A
Stealing from a certain storyline boss would give a glitch item that can't be used/sold for anything (except used as a Mix ingredient but it didn't give any notable results). He now gives the correct intended item.
Examining bookshelves or talking to NPCs from below in the Yuvia Library almost always resulted in the game hanging in V017, this is now fixed.
Completing the events in Sysona would more often than not leave you stuck and unable to return to your balloon, this is now fixed.
V017A can load saves from V016 or V017.

Updated links:
( Removed as superceeded by V017B, see original post )

Edited by Ninjamida

i'm so interested. let's get a demo, yea!?

There's a demo link in both the latest update post and the original post. =)

Rather than the traditional "release a demo with a short extract of the game", I'm simply releasing it as "you can play everything that's been developed so far". I'd say the current demo is probably 65%-75% towards completion.

dbchest likes this

i'm on it!

you know what makes this so much more enjoyable? you reference FFX quite a bit. i'll be playing through your demo using my playstation 3 bluetooth controller wirelessly. with the config i have on it, it's just like playing an RPG on my PS.

Edited by Calintz

While FFX is the main inspiration for the game mechanics, there are a couple of in-game references to other FFs in there. One of my favorites is the FF6 reference in the second town (I'll leave it up to you to find it, though). =P

Another one, though not accessible yet (and this is an FFX reference); the Blue Mage can learn an attack called "Zanmato". It doesn't quite have the same effect as FFX's Zanmato, but the item that teaches it is called "Yojimbo's Blade". =D

Edited by Ninjamida

Ah, an older version had this problem, I thought I had uploaded a fixed one.

7zip will extract it with no problem, but other managers (particularly the built-in one in Windows, and WinRAR) may have problems. I'll reupload so no one else has trouble; up to you whether you want to wait for that or grab 7zip to extract it. (The latter would be a smaller download.)

EDIT: Done, and links updated.

Edited by Ninjamida

This is an excellent game and I wholeheartedly encourage others to try it out. I've played very few RPG Maker games that create extremely well-balanced and well thought out battles but this one hits the mark quite well. Many people could take a page from this book and learn how the battles are constructed.

With that said, I still need to beat this game. Although it's a shame that I can't carry over my progress, it's been so long since I tried this game out  that it's probably better that I restarted.

Ninjamida likes this

Thanks! =)

I definitely put in the effort, though I ensure there's a few easier bosses here and there too (Spirit, Enchanter, Water Elemental are good examples of these) to give the player a bit of a rest. =)

I think the choice of a CTB battle system rather than ATB or Default helps a lot too in that regard. The default doesn't offer much opportunity for strategy, since you get a limited amount of turns, often can't tell the order they'll come out in very well, and thus it doesn't encourage strategy to a huge degree. Likewise, in ATB you're generally rushing to enter your commands; while it does allow for more, it doesn't give the best amount of time to think. Both of them also have no real way, besides MP cost, of discouraging abuse of powerful moves (though there are exceptions especially in ATB systems, see FFX-2). With CTB, you have all the time you need to plan your next move, you can have faster and slower characters/enemies where it actually affects their number of turns, using a powerful move can delay your next turn more... <opinion>all reasons why CTB systems are simply the best</opinion>.

Released V017B, fixes a couple of minor things but importantly fixes a major bug which causes a significant portion of the storyline to be skipped if triggered.