Ninjamida

Legends of an Otherworld [Sidequest / fixes update 2017-08-04]

43 posts in this topic

So, after four years or so of nothing... I finally ended up continuing work on this project! :D

I'd say the version that I posted here four years ago probably had about 60% of the storyline playable, and maybe 40% of the sidequests. The current version at the time of posting this has the storyline about 95% complete (and in fact, the rest is completed in source code, it just hasn't been properly tested yet), and the optional content maybe about 85% complete.

Latest version download

If you have saves from the old version and they were on V016 or higher, they won't load directly on this new update but it is possible to get them working; PM me if you need help with this. Saves from versions prior to V016 are, unfortunately, unsalvagable. With that being said, I'd be surprised if anyone still had their save files, and would probably suggest starting a new game anyway (due to some significant changes).

Perang Cemen likes this

:)Looks fun, I'll wait until this all done 100% and good luck on your project!

:giggle:Yay! I get Proof Of P_rs_st_nc_ after defeating that pesky Ph_nt_m.

Thanks! :)

I've been hella busy since I got this topic reopened and posted the updates here, so I haven't made much further progress yet sadly. But I have done some more testing - all upcoming storyline bosses are now completely AI tested, and all but the last two have been difficulty tested as well. (EDIT: All storyline content has been developed and tested now; only sidequest content remains to be created.)

I do also want to finish off a currently playable but incomplete sidequest (the one which gives you Luck Trainer, among other rewards) before the next release. There's one more sidequest, intended for postgame parties, that I intend to add, but this will come in a later update.

Edited by Ninjamida

So, more than five years after the initial post about this game... a few of which involved the game's source simply sitting around on my hard drive gathering dust without any thought given to it at all... the storyline is finally completed and being released to play for everyone!

(Mods: Please don't move this to Completed Games yet; there is still some sidequest content that remains to be implemented.)

Download links for the new V023 update:

Fresh download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ny26x1yyb589v63/LoaO_V023_Fresh.zip?dl=1
Upgrade: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jdlvk8tpk181pju/LoaO_V023_Upgrade.zip?dl=1 (from V021 or higher only; otherwise please download the fresh copy)

Changelog (may have minor spoilers but I have tried to keep it free of any major ones)

Spoiler

--[ V023 ]--

NEW CONTENT
-----------
The entire storyline is now playable
The remainder of the Monster Hunter sidequest is now playable
Four new equippable abilities have been added, though one is currently inaccessible

CHANGES
-------
Multi Resist and Multiproof now include Virus and Slow (but still not Death)
Multiproof is no longer buyable; most shops that had it now offer Multi Resist (if they didn't already)
Ultra Damage is no longer obtainable in the Sysona Forest
The Ability Shop in Nyatta gains a few extra abilities once the events in Yuvia are completed
Some enemies that previously had no steal items, now do

FIXED BUGS
----------
(I don't necceserially take note of every bug as I fix it, so there may be more than this)
When regular physicals are used as a counterattack, the animation is not displayed
A certain Water-elemental optional boss takes normal damage from Water instead of absorbing it
Fighting a few battles inbetween Monster Hunter bosses becoming available isn't required
Some optional bosses became available later than intended
Half BP Cost does nothing

V024 update. This is a relatively minor yet quite important one: It doesn't add any new content yet, but it slightly rebalances the final bosses' difficulty, and fixes several bugs, including one fairly significant (if not quite game-breaking) one during the final boss sequence.

Fresh download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ql2k22kzh6v1wh/LoaO_V024_Fresh.zip?dl=1
Upgrade: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0dp5b7xqx62vlyg/LoaO_V024_Upgrade_2122.zip?dl=1 (from V021 or higher only, otherwise please redownload a fresh copy)

Changelog (may contain minor spoilers, especially game mechanics ones):

Spoiler

-- New Content --
( None )

-- Changes --
Atomic Blast's description has been slightly altered (the effect is unchanged)
Made some minor changes to the last three bosses
MP Direct can no longer interact with Half/One MP Cost
Made a few minor modifications to the layout of the second half of the final dungeon
Judgement no longer ignores the enemy's Spirit stat
Immunize now protects against Virus in addition to the existing statuses it protected against

-- Fixed Bugs --
(May be others, as I don't always note every bug that I fix)
If multiple battles occur during a single event sequence, automatic statuses may not apply immediately in the 2nd and onwards
One warp in the final dungeon would require the player to press Enter to activate it after the first usage
An optional boss that is incomplete and should not yet be accessible, was
If MP Direct is equipped, all attacks that cost MP but not BP become free to cast
If MP Direct is equipped, Smokescreen and Crippling Strike can be used from the menu
Triumph does not heal Virus before trying to heal HP (it does heal Zombie correctly)
One boss opens the fight with Hellspawn then almost never uses it again, but is meant to use it fairly often
After fighting the final monster hunter boss, incorrect music may play in random encounters (revisit the plains to fix)

Been alerted to a game-breaking bug.

When you receive an item called "Lab Key", do NOT try to progress the storyline any further. You can leave the current area to go do optional stuff, but do not try to progress any further in the area you're currently in, otherwise you may end up losing the Lab Key which prevents further progress.

If you have a save that's already been affected by this bug, send it to me and I'll fix your save.

The next update (which is almost ready, should be released this weekend) will fix this bug properly.

In the intro, Leanna says "Iunno, I don't remember a thing."

"I dunno, I don't remember a thing."

I can help with this sort of thing if you'd like... :)

Edit: One no-no is waking up at an Inn and not being fully healed, that I found. Trying to kill off players? That's a good way to do it.

Edited by PhoenixSoul

The former is just kind of meant to be her speech style. I'm a native English speaker, so it's safe to assume any weird speech is intentional (except maybe if it's the end of a line getting cut off).

The latter might be a bug / oversight. The change to save-anywhere is quite recent, so such a thing could very easily have gone unnoticed before.

Edited by Ninjamida
PhoenixSoul likes this

I will say that having party heal points is a good thing. But it certainly is hard keeping the White Mage conscious in some battles.

V025 update is here.

This has some rebalancing around the endgame, some bugfixes, and a postgame sidequest is mostly (though not completely) implemented.

Fresh download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zm70tqg5f5z9g77/LoaO_V025_Fresh.zip?dl=1
Upgrade (from V023 or higher only): https://www.dropbox.com/s/aff4uaxtd58g4yu/LoaO_V025_Upgrade.zip?dl=1

Changelog

Spoiler

-- NEW CONTENT --
The building near Saria is now functional, once the player has made adequate storyline progress to unlock it. This sidequest is not yet 100% complete, and some parts are not yet fully tested.

-- CHANGES --
There is now only one chest offering God's Law or Yojimbo's Blade in the final dungeon. There is another way to obtain the other one, and a second copy of the same one.
Some further tweaks to the very final boss's stats and AI
Ghost Breath can no longer exceed 9999 damage, even with Ultra Damage equipped
One BP Cost has been changed to Quarter BP Cost (it CANNOT be stacked with Half BP Cost)
Plague's BP cost has been increased to 32 and its delay effect on the user's next turn has been increased
The boat is now visible on the world map while using the balloon
The effects of Weaken and Meltdown have been reduced; they now only quarter the target's defence / spirit instead of nullifying it
One storyline boss's music has been changed from the hard boss theme to the regular one

-- FIXES --
(There may be more, as I don't explicitly make a note of every bug I fix.)
Having certain abilities equipped may cause the "can gain EXP" flag to incorrectly carry over between battles
A duplicate boat may appear in Taspia, which can even sometimes allow re-viewing the cutscene from the first time using the boat (but has no further ill effects)
A certain battle where one specific enemy must be kept alive doesn't actually penalize the player in any way for not doing so
Zolom does not get the break damage limit ability when it appears alongside a Steelworks or Malcantore
Battlers (on either side) get an immediate free turn when a "cannot act" status effect expires over time (was fixed in a previous version but resurfaced again)
One boss that has two hands had them named incorrectly (the right hand was called "Left Hand" and vice versa)
Some enemies might not die until they're attacked again if reduced to 0HP by Poison or Zombie-Regen
Certain situations may lead to a game crash when fighting Wraith
Alicia's weapons give her a small resistance to statuses instead of a high infliction chance
In the rolling ball maze, weird behaviour occurs if two balls end up on the same tile and are then used

Edited by Ninjamida
PhoenixSoul likes this

Haven't abandoned this. The next update - which aside from bugfixes and maybe a bit of rebalancing, will be the final release - is nearly ready now. Just needs a bit more testing, mostly.

PhoenixSoul likes this

@Ninjamida Looking forward to it.

I am actually curious as to how you implemented the dynamic extra armor slots (I'd like to know how this works myself).

@PhoenixSoul It's just a small modification to Yanfly Engine Ace Equip. Add the following script below Yanfly Engine Ace Equip:

class Game_Actor < Game_Battler
  attr_accessor :extra_equip_slots

alias ninjamida_initialize initialize
  def initialize(actor_id)
    ninjamida_initialize(actor_id)
    @extra_equip_slots = []
  end

alias ninjamida_equip_slots_normal equip_slots_normal
  def equip_slots_normal
	result = ninjamida_equip_slots_normal
    result += self.extra_equip_slots if @extra_equip_slots != nil
    return result
  end
end

You can then add the extra equipment slots like this (changing the 1's as appropriate):

$game_actors[1].extra_equip_slots += [1]

Let me know if this doesn't work; in my code I implemented it by just modifying Yanfly's script directly, so had to rework it into an alias-based version here.

PhoenixSoul likes this

Not sure how familiar you are with YEA Equip, so I'll briefly explain how it works first. Basically, with YEA Equip, you can define for each character (via notetags) exactly what types of slots they have - for example, you could give one character three weapons, two helmets and an armor, while another character has one weapon and six shields (or any other combination and quantity you want).

Any slots added via my script will simply be added to the end of their slot list. This works fine for my game, because (aside from a single weapon slot at the start) all equipment slots are multiples of the same type of slot anyway. My script probably isn't as suitable to other cases, though it could still be used with a bit of extra work (since you aren't restricted to just adding to extra_equip_slots; you can modify, subtract, overwrite, etc too - so you could just give someone no default slots and then control their available slots entirely through extra_equip_slots); it's very much designed specifically for the needs of my game.

So, the second value determines which slot gets added, then?

I had thought so, but I had also thought that it might determine how many slots gets added. Good to know.

No, it determines the type. If you want to add multiple slots at a time, you can do it like this:

$game_actors[1].extra_equip_slots += [1, 2, 3]
PhoenixSoul likes this