• Announcements

• RagingHobo

Forum Upgraded!   07/17/2017

We have successfully upgraded our forum to the latest version! Some things have moved around but don't worry everything is still there, we still need to find updated versions of the plugins we were using previously to restore everything to the way it was. There will be a running topic in the Feedback and Support in case you notice something wrong. Before you do so please clear your browser cache and close your browser completely to rule out a caching issue. Thank you for your patience during the outage and while we get everything back to 150%  
Fomar0153

Customisable ATB/Stamina Based Battle System

41 posts in this topic

Well here it is my first CBS for RPG Maker VX Ace. Unfortunately I'm still working around the trial so I haven't tested it as robustly as I would like to but I haven't found any bugs. I've uploaded a demo as well if you wish to try it out that way.

The only section non-scripters should touch is the first bit in the module CBS any below the module should not be meddled with. I will probably release an updated version based on the feedback I receive. One feature that I know will be added in the next version is having it active while on the basic command window (Fight, Skill, Guard, Item) and a way to toggle between characters with full bars.

Hope you enjoy, find any bugs please let me know, like it let me know, dislike it let me know why and maybe I can fix it. Hope you like it!

I will now be hosting all my scripts at my new blog: http://cobbtocs.co.uk/wp/

You can get the most up to date version of this script here: http://cobbtocs.co.uk/wp/?p=64

Edited by Fomar0153
Lil' Yami likes this

Nice one Fomar! I'm not huge on ATB but at least this seems to flow very well and not make you think you need twitchy fingers to avoid getting obliterated.

Nice one Fomar! I'm not huge on ATB but at least this seems to flow very well and not make you think you need twitchy fingers to avoid getting obliterated.

I've never liked systems where I can't take my time to choose my action either. Let me know if you have any ideas on how to improve it ok?

Sure thing, I haven't tried any scripts yet (I'm going to wait for the English release) I just comment on the idea and screens, but when Ace is released I'm going to totally nerd it up and try all the scripts that were made. Not even a chocolate cake will remove me from my seat once I get busy on all those scripts.

Fomar0153 likes this

Fixed an oversight and a bug, I completely forgot about turns when I coded this, they are now restored. Also a bug I found relating to message windows has been fixed.

Nice work! I love this system. However, it seems incompatible with Yanfly's battle engine :(

I get this error (with only this and Yanfly's battle engine installed):

Script 'Window_Base' line 470: NoMethod error occurred.

unidentified method 'each_with_index' for nil:NilClass

But for suggestions: a way to 'wait' without defending would be nice, but more importantly a way to see the ATB gauges while you have the action window open. If you don't know who will act next, you won't be able to plan well enough. Maybe put it under the MP, HP or TP gauge?

I too get that error, and putting this above Yanfly's script does remove that error, it completely messes the layout up :D

Both Yanfly's and this script alter the layout of the battle menus. Would just need some alterations to this, core functionality should have remained intact.... I want to learn how to script so may look at tweaking it on mine, see what I can do. Good chance I am biting off more than I can chew and going to fail :D Have to start somewhere...

animapreda likes this

.... I want to learn how to script so may look at tweaking it on mine, see what I can do. Good chance I am biting off more than I can chew and going to fail :D Have to start somewhere...

Good luck! I want to do the same, but am under massive time restraints :( Hopefully I'll get around to learning some after the English release. Let me know if you have any success :)

EDIT: Thanks Fomar :) This'll be great.

Edited by Tobyej

Anybody wishing to use this with Yanfly's battle system ace should check this topic: http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/index.php?/topic/802-ace-battle-engine-add-on-atbstamina-system/

I'll be maintaining both scripts separately from this point on.

I am open to suggestions about changes to this script. On idea I've had about the placement of the ATB bars in that they could go behind the actors name if the colours stood out more. Any other ideas?

Damn that was fast. Didn't even have time to even looking at the script myself. Next time I wont go to sleep or work :D

I may still have a little tweak just for fun and to see what i can learn!

Awesome job by the way.

Damn that was fast. Didn't even have time to even looking at the script myself. Next time I wont go to sleep or work :D

I may still have a little tweak just for fun and to see what i can learn!

Awesome job by the way.

Thanks did it work for you ok? Just Tobyej has made me nervous.

Now if you could just add the side view it would be nice.

This one is compatible with both mine and Jet's sideview scripts. If you meant this with Yanfly's battle system and then sideview on top!!! It's on the way but don't expect it until after I've updated this script.

Updated to Version 1.2

Changes:

Fixed the game crashing bug that was added in 1.1

Added a time based option for turns but you can still have turns determined by number of actions.

The code that causes states to wear off has been updated so that all states will wear off.

Added the option to allow players to pass turns (Shift button).

Added the ability to change bar colours based on states and you can set the exact speed mod of a state in the same place.

Added some CTB features, this script can now work as a CTB but the interface isn't great, i will probably restore the original interface for CTB in the next update.

Lil' Yami likes this

I am thinking of using this system in another game, along with Emerald's item sets script and your dual equip script. Are all three compatible?

I suspect this battle system and my dual wield/two handed fix are compatible but I have no idea about Emeralds item sets. You'll have to test them out together.

Thanks. And I would ask this via pm's (as this is a question between you and me and nothing to do with scripting, but deals with your scripts) but I can't.

I am currently doing a computer course and the course title is this: Diploma of Interactive Digital Media (Gaming and 3D Animation) And I have to make a game for one of the assignments.

The teacher said I could use RPG Maker VX Ace as the program to make my game assignment. Would I be allowed to use your scripts for my game assignment?

Thanks. And I would ask this via pm's (as this is a question between you and me and nothing to do with scripting, but deals with your scripts) but I can't.

But this is precisely why I have blocked you from PMing me. This question has nothing to do with me. The number of times you PM'd me to ask me if certain scripts were compatible (rather than just check yourself), if I'd check your requests before you'd post them, if I know where you can find a certain graphical resource (I'm a scripter!) etc

Continue to ask me things like this and I will also block your posts from appearing for me.

I am currently doing a computer course and the course title is this: Diploma of Interactive Digital Media (Gaming and 3D Animation) And I have to make a game for one of the assignments.

The teacher said I could use RPG Maker VX Ace as the program to make my game assignment. Would I be allowed to use your scripts for my game assignment?

My initial reactions to this:

1) How is everyone else making their games?

2) Based on some of your request threads, you are planning to build an epic game. How long do you have to complete the assignment?

3) How much did you spend buying Ace for a single assignment?

4) Isn't this something you should be asking your teacher?

But this is precisely why I have blocked you from PMing me. This question has nothing to do with me. The number of times you PM'd me to ask me if certain scripts were compatible (rather than just check yourself), if I'd check your requests before you'd post them, if I know where you can find a certain graphical resource (I'm a scripter!) etc

Continue to ask me things like this and I will also block your posts from appearing for me.

I see. I'm sorry for that even though I have several disabilities. And HOW am I to learn what to do if one of the scripts clash LIKE the autobattile NOT showing up right away? (I know next to nothing about scripting!)

As for the question I asked before, I AM actually using several of YOUR scripts.

If you want, the next time I have a problem with a script of yours, I won't go asking for help with it and just delete the script from the game,

And I had mentioned to my teacher that I have already started a game using RPG Maker VX Ace, and she said that I can use that as my assignment. Everyone else is using either Game Maker, or (Unity or a Flash program or something like that)

I had also mentioned to my teacher that the game will be massive and will probably be not fully complete by the due date and she said that is fine, as long as the game IS playable by the due date, which is in July.

I have already got pretty much the opening or beginning done, and will be adding more later on. Hopefully a few scripts I'm waiting on will be done soon, but I am not in a rush, as I could do a good few hours of the demo before even needing two of the scripts I'm waiting on... and I could even translate one of the scripts into English myself... (Which is a nightmare as I did that for one script already.)

Edited by Shadow Fox

I see. I'm sorry for that even though I have several disabilities.

I regularly work with people who are disabled and none of them have ever used their disabilities as an excuse.

And HOW am I to learn what to do if one of the scripts clash LIKE the autobattile NOT showing up right away? (I know next to nothing about scripting!)

As for the question I asked before, I AM actually using several of YOUR scripts.

If you want, the next time I have a problem with a script of yours, I won't go asking for help with it and just delete the script from the game,

But you haven't asked for help. You've asked me if three scripts (two of which are mine) are compatible. it will take me probably the same amount of time to check this as it would take you to check this. The only difference being that I would know what to do to fix it. But at the same time I am under no obligation to make compatibility patches etc. The correct way to go about this is as follows: check the scripts and see if they are compatible. If they are not, compile a list of places where the scripts are not working correctly and then ask one of the authors of the scripts very politely if they can help you and provide them with the list of problems to save them time.

One final point, if YOU are already using several of MY scripts then even if the new scripts you are looking to add may not be compatible with some of the scripts you are already using.

And I had mentioned to my teacher that I have already started a game using RPG Maker VX Ace, and she said that I can use that as my assignment. Everyone else is using either Game Maker, or (Unity or a Flash program or something like that)

I had also mentioned to my teacher that the game will be massive and will probably be not fully complete by the due date and she said that is fine, as long as the game IS playable by the due date, which is in July.

I have already got pretty much the opening or beginning done, and will be adding more later on. Hopefully a few scripts I'm waiting on will be done soon, but I am not in a rush, as I could do a good few hours of the demo before even needing two of the scripts I'm waiting on... and I could even translate one of the scripts into English myself... (Which is a nightmare as I did that for one script already.)

Sounds like programming is part of your course then. No RPG Maker VX Ace script requires translating into English for it to work. Instructions might require translating but the script wouldn't.

From what I remember of higher education they usually don't like you using other peoples' work (i.e. scripts, graphic resources) in your work as it is considered plagiarism. I would recommend checking with your teacher.

Also you didn't answer how much you spent on RPG Maker VX Ace for this assignment.

I knew I forgot something,

What you said about using other people's work in your own work being plagiarism is true, but at the same time the teacher said that if I am to use other people's work, like a script, I MUST have a reference to it, indicating that it is not mine, but so and so's. I also have to put in writing where I found it as well, (Like the battle system is yours that would be referenced in the credits and I would also put this site as the main link to where I got the scripts from.)

That is why I was asking about using scripts in a assignment to those people who's script I used.

And how you said about the better way of saying things. I realise that, though the thing is I sometimes have trouble putting things in a better explanation, which is a part of my disability.

I have ADD and Aspergers, and I have trouble saying exactly what I mean.

Sometimes I even go around the bush so to speak in trying to get one simple thing out. (I'd go into explanations or back stories, or things like that.)

Like with the previous question the 'compatibility' question, I now realise that asking that was the wrong way to go about it, but I just didn't realise that at the time, so for that I am sorry. I shall try my best to remember that, but because of my disabilities that is going to be hard. (Not using an excuse just explaining why I do things. If you had not blocked me I'd have sent you the the info on how my disabilities affect me and everything.)

And for the cost of Ace, I paid the full amount for Ace, around 162 Australian dollars (Can't remember the exact number and my net is horribly slow to check my bank details) which at the time equalled 13,440 yen, Although, and I am stressing this, I am not just using it for the assignment, I am using it for game making after my course is done as well. I have made a few games in RPG Maker XP amd 2000 and 2003, though I have not published them, but I gave them to my nieces and nephews to have a look at. So I shall be doing the same here as well. This time however I might even put the games up for download.

As for translating scripts, I was actually meaning translating the Instructions within the scripts, and unfortunately there are a LOT of instructions, and there are in total 4 or 5 scripts that do 1 specific job. (or one script broken up into 4 or 5 smaller scripts)

Like this script link:

Edit: So Fomar0153, may I have your permission to use your scripts in the game assignment?

Edited by Shadow Fox

Hi formar,

I'm using your animated battler script (awesome) and now this one, i'd like to request a feature/change if it isn't too much trouble.

I'd like to be able to display the ATB bars on the monsters like this:

hero7kh5qp9.png

(This is from my game in RPGVX using Tankentai, i'm trying to replicate it as much as possible in Ace)

let me know,

Thanks

Edited by Paradox