Zerbu

Text Sound Effect [UPDATED]

22 posts in this topic

Text Sound Effect

http://pastebin.com/vik8HBmH

Introduction

This script plays sounds when text is appearing in the text box. You've probably seen this in VX, well now it's available for Ace too.

Change Log

The script now has the option to turn off sound effects using a switch.

Preview
Sorry, screenshots can't have sounds!

Instructions

Download at: http://pastebin.com/vik8HBmH

Install the script, then edit the options at the top if you want to customize it:

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Options
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# The sound effect to play
MESSAGE_SOUND = RPG::SE.new("Knock", 70, 80)

# The number of characters to display before each time the sound plays
# The default is 3, it's recommended you keep it as this unless you
# know what you're doing
MESSAGE_SOUND_FRAMES = 3

Edited by Zerbu

Idk if you're still active, but can you make the SE not play during battle_scenes (and I mean any battle_scene). Unless it is an event one, because fighting monsters with a BGM and hearing the SE go off is annoying.

This is amazing, just what I was looking for thanks!

How difficult would it be to set the pitch for the sound effect on a 'per text box' basis?? I'd love to give girls a high pitched sound and the guys lower pitched etc?

Idk if you're still active, but can you make the SE not play during battle_scenes (and I mean any battle_scene). Unless it is an event one, because fighting monsters with a BGM and hearing the SE go off is annoying.

I got this problem too. If you (Zerbu) or anyone else could fix it would be great :)

His current setup has this effect in Window_Base. Anything which inherits properties from Window_Base will have this effect, which is practically every window. 

Perhaps if you change the line:  

class Window_Base < Window

to:

class Window_Message < Window_Base

It might only affect message windows?  Maybe not, I only half know what I'm doing.  Try it anyway!

Nybras likes this

His current setup has this effect in Window_Base. Anything which inherits properties from Window_Base will have this effect, which is practically every window. 

Perhaps if you change the line:  

class Window_Base < Window

to:

class Window_Message < Window_Base

It might only affect message windows?  Maybe not, I only half know what I'm doing.  Try it anyway!

Thanks ekomega, it seems to work just fine! :)

Sorry for never updating this or responding, I haven't been making games or being active here for over a year, but since people are still using this, I've updated the script with one that only effects the message window.

How difficult would it be to set the pitch for the sound effect on a 'per text box' basis?? I'd love to give girls a high pitched sound and the guys lower pitched etc?

If I go back into scripting, I might consider that for a future version of the script.

Hello there. :)

I'm really sorry for beeing such a noob, but I don't get it with the switch command.

# Switch to disable sound effect

# If you need to turn off the sound effect for any part of the game,

# turn this switch on

# Set to nil to disable this feature

MESSAGE_SOUND_DISABLE = nil

How do I actually set up the switch correctly. I spend like over an hour to figure it out. :(

I would really appreciate if anyone could explain it to me. :)

No such thing as a stupid question. You'd be surprised how many scripts out there have instructions that assume the user has pre-existing RGSS3 knowledge.

Pupa likes this

I'm not currently at home to try this, but theoretically you could install two instances of the script and use switches to control whether the 'male' or 'female' version of the script is running. This may not work depending on how the script is coded but it might be worth a shot.

(I've never coded for Ace myself so this may not even work due to the program itself)

Edited by Macatlas

Hi, Zerbu, I've made some modifications to your script, and now it randomly varies when the message sound is played.

It's been two years since you've posted anything, and I can't find any contact information, so I'm going to go ahead and distribute the edit. This post serves as a notification of sorts.

If you want me to stop, send a message here ^.^

Thank you~

Edited by innovation

Hey, um, i'm having a problem with your script. Whenever a text box is about to open it says:
Script 'Game_Switches' line 19: TypeError occurred. can't convert true into integer.

I changed: "MESSAGE_SOUND_DISABLE = nil" to true because I couldn't figure out how to make

the switch thing work. I put in the number of the switch I wanted to use but nothing happened.

it still doesn't make sounds when people are talking.

MESSAGE_SOUND_DISABLE = nil

You need to put a switch ID there and when that switch will be ON, then the sound will not play.

Does putting for example ~

MESSAGE_SOUND_DISABLE = 6

~ not work?

I just tested that and when I've turned the Switch #6 ON then the text sound was muted.

Does putting for example ~

MESSAGE_SOUND_DISABLE = 6

~ not work?

I just tested that and when I've turned the Switch #6 ON then the text sound was muted.

Yes, because sound effect is already on, that switch is to turn OFF the sound effect.

Switch #6 = off (sound effect is ON)

Switch #6 = on (sound effect is OFF)

Edited by HisaoShou

Hey I modified this script so that you can change between genders (or whatever you wanna call it, depending of the story, setting of your game or any other reason), and I wonder if I post it here or I create a new topic... What do I do?!