• Announcements

• RagingHobo

Forum Upgraded!   07/17/2017

We have successfully upgraded our forum to the latest version! Some things have moved around but don't worry everything is still there, we still need to find updated versions of the plugins we were using previously to restore everything to the way it was. There will be a running topic in the Feedback and Support in case you notice something wrong. Before you do so please clear your browser cache and close your browser completely to rule out a caching issue. Thank you for your patience during the outage and while we get everything back to 150%  
estriole

EST - SOV Video Player ++ Script Conversion v 1.4

89 posts in this topic

EST - SOV Video Player ++ Script Conversion

version 1.4

Creator name : Estriole
(Convert to ace and some modification)
VX Version Creator : SuperOverlord

History

version 1.4 2013.03.16 - apply fixes from ruin. typo error and ability to play video using battle event page.

version 1.3 2013.03.05 - create configuration for people that have encoding character

problem with their title. ex: Pokémon Ace.

set the IGNORE_TITLE to true inside module Sov::Video
version 1.2 2012.09.27 - made if game at fullscreen automaticly become windowed (temporary solution)
version 1.1 2012.09.25 - some bug fix. now avi video can played at full screen mode(alt enter) with some position error.
- can play other format such as mkv but it will play full screen and when played at full screen
mode (alt enter) the size will be smaller and the game switched.
- basicly this script not support full screen game yet. will try to fix this in next version
version 1.0 2012.09.23 - finish converting + some change

Introduction
First of all.... Want to skip / pause the video? use this script :D. (as nate the great in below post suggested i use this line to make you interested :D)

Warning: Make sure your video filename have no spaces and symbol (+-/*etc).
correct example : VideO_AbOuT_my_1st_child.avi #<- This only to show you not case sensitive and number supported
wrong example : video about my 1st child.avi #<- this have spaces that ruin the video script

This script play video files. it FULLY support AVI. it also support other format such as mpg, mkv, flv, but it will played fullscreen instead (so avi is still recommended). this script is also not support fullscreen game and will force the game to become window mode when playing video. this script will also have bug if the user press alt enter while playing the video (still finding solution for this). this script able to play full movie(yes even 1 hour movie) as long as you have the right codec for your windows

the codec i use is this:
http://www.download....codec-pack.html

Features
- Play video on map
- Play video when using skill
- Play video when using item
- Ability to pause the video
- Ability to escape the video (close it)
- Before title video (see configuration)

Screenshots
play it full window
videofullscreen.th.png
play it small
videonotfullscreen.th.png

How to Use
See the header of the script

Script

http://pastebin.com/JMtn4PGj

Demo
Not needed since the video will make the demo large. or if people really need it i will post the demo
but people will have to use their own video and rename their video to what i told. to reduce the size.

Compatibility
Tell me and hope i could make it compatible

Credit and Thanks
- Estriole (for converting to ace)
- SuperOverlord (for vx version)

also credit : Crystal Noel for solution to encoding character title problem (ex: Pokémon Ace)

also credit : Ruin for the fixes he pointed out. (typo and use video from battle event page)

unconfirmed:

Error message: " Script 'EST_SOV_Video_Player' line 288: TypeError occurred. can't convert nil into String  "

means you put the video in wrong folder. thanks Deaxter for the information

Edited by estriole
Yin, Archeia and Naridar like this

sorry but after some test. apparently this script only support AVI extension. maybe that's your error. if not just tell me and i will try making demo.

i'm currently learning how to make it support other video format such as mpg, mpeg, mkv, flv, etc. but i need to learn win32api command for that >.<.

and information i googled still not found the correct one.

edit: now it work with other format (the one i test mkv, will test other format later). but it will play full screen not inside the windows. because i don't know why if using mpegvideo type everything run below the map/battle. if you move the window using your mouse the video then will show. that's why i play the video in fullscreen not in window for other video type than avi.

this script also cannot play well (size and position may off) when the game in full screen. so... stick to window mode.

Edited by estriole

Thanks, it's just what I needed. So it can play a video as the battle background (as in, below battlers, hud, animations, etc.), right?

Thanks, it's just what I needed. So it can play a video as the battle background (as in, below battlers, hud, animations, etc.), right?

No. this is video player. when video played you cannot act in battle until the video finish or you exit the video. in battle this basicly just link your skill to video so when you use the skill it will show the video then the skill do it's effect. (for those awesome video skill such as summoning meteor, hurricane, etc). i guess since this use win32api it won't be able to run as battle background even if we try to change how it run since it actually run the video in child window inside the rgss player (or so i thought).

Hey there, I am looking forward to testing this out! However, color me stupid... I don't know how you all are copying scripts from the spoiler window to VX ACE and having it format correctly. I have had to either go to each modder's individual website to obtain them, or manually input line by line of copy and paste... So perhaps you can enlighten me as to this so I can check out what you have here! It seems liket his would work perfect in my project...

to copy from spoiler box. just open the spoiler. then block all the code from above with your mouse.

then ctrl + c

then open your project. open up your script window. click any blank script spot above main and below material (if no slot just press insert to insert some).

then click at the right side of the script window (it should be blank). then press ctrl + v.

i put the code in spoiler tag + ruby tag. so it should format like it should. i don't know if you're using other browser though. i use mozilla.

Estriole,

Thanks for the reply. Mozilla has trouble playing youtube videos on my laptop) so I mainly use IE on this. Sure enough, it was that. I tried with Mozilla and tada... it formats fine. Thanks! I have been using the built in play mov... and converting my 3d fmv renders to ogv for that. The size is nice, but there is a lot of quality loss. I am waffling back and forth. At least now I have the option :) Thanks again!

@nate: glad if this scripts could be help for you. this script still have some bugs (because it use win32api) such as when you play movie with other type than avi (mkv, flv, you name it). i made the script force it to play at full screen. since if i put the movie in the child window like what i done with avi movie. strangely the sound play but the graphic's hidden. and if you move the window then it shows. this also have problem with full screen mode game. so i force the user to make it windowed when executing their movie. but the problem is the user still could press alt enter while the video play and cause error (and i tried to disable alt enter but it need win32api hook knowledge and i'm affraid i'm lack in that :D). but i guess if you stick with avi, then tell the player not to use full screen mode, i guess this better than built in movie player. since you could pause and exit the movie (built in can't). the player might not want to see 15 minutes of movies if they already seen them (example second play through or just get game over and load saves before the movie) and want to skip them instead :D.

You bring up a great point, I'll probably use built in for the quick little 15 second ones. Having that option to exit the movie during the long ones... (also while playtesting...i mean... can you imagine!?) ... is a superb idea. Honestly I think you just sold your script with that one line... I knew this was a useful tool... and now I see exactly why it will be. My hat is off to you :)

@nate: thx for the idea. updated the first post mentioning about skip and pause feature :P. it's really hard to attract people using your script if you're not well known scripter yet :D. I made some of them and apparently it's not used by many people (since people rarely post in that topic :P).

it's not i want attention. it's just i could debug better if lots of people use my script :D. since playtesting by myself have limits. so other people bug report is appreciated. that's why great scripter like yanfly/victor/modern algebra could make such a great script. they have good feedback :P.

Also, you made something here that is likely to only be used by advanced users! Battle systems and such are going to be sought after by every single person who picks up rpgmaker for the first time... because most of us have played mainly side view rpg games. Not many are old enough to know of Dragon Warrior and other front view systems, so it seems strange to them. But using movies... that's a far more advanced tactic. Most of the kids with RPGmaker may download someone's video and import one... but a true movie player... is for those of us, like myself... who enjoy rendering FMV's and spell effects and such in full 3d within Bryce, Daz, Poser, or whatever. I will have numerous FMV cutscenes and major spell effects .. so this kind of tool is a lifesaver for me. With Victor's Animated Battle video showing FMV spell effects, i imagine more people will begin trying to do it themselves... and your creation will gain popularity! I for one am extremely happy to be implementing it. I will be testing it in numerous situations ... so if i find anything that seems like a bug, ill happily bring it to your attention.

make sure you change the correct line. apparently same mistakes made by other people in this thread.

module SceneManager
################ CONFIGURATION FOR VIDEO BEFORE TITLE #######################  
 @video_title = nil  # "example" # FILENAME OF THE VIDEO IN VIDEO FOLDER IN QUOTES
 #IF YOU DON'T WANT TO USE THIS FEATURE JUST CHANGE TO NIL
################ END CONFIGURATION ##########################################  
 def self.run
	DataManager.init
	Audio.setup_midi if use_midi?
	if @video_title != nil	#don't change this line change 6 lines above instead
	video = Cache.video(@video_title)
	video.exitable = true # True/False
	video.pausable = true # True/False
	Video.play(video)
	end
	@scene = first_scene_class.new
	@scene.main while @scene
 end
end

change the @video_title = nil inside the lots of ######################################################### at the top. not the one

with if function in it. i will update the script to add comment warning to the user.

i puts lot of ##### to make sure people notice but apparently it made people not see the @video_title and change the one below it.

change the

@video_title = nil

to

@video_title = "yourvideonamewithoutextensionhere"

make sure the video name doesn't have spaces and symbols (+ - / etc). and you could use underscore.

correct example of video name : my_love

wrong example of video name : my sweet love

another wrong example : my-sweet-love

hope this help. and sorry i'm not making a demo. if i made demo. it would be large because of the video files included in it. and if i tell people to put their video with the name i told. sometimes people don't understand and put it in wrong place.

maybe if i have some small avi video i will look on it.

edit : sorry. i misread. you don't use video title. maybe the name of the video cause that. and i set by default to not use video title so if you're not using it. you shouldn't touch anything from the script....

but i guess this post will provide information for people who want to use video title.

Edited by estriole

Sorry for long response. i go to vacation for two weeks. for starter. what is the video type?

second. did you convert the type? with what software?

apparently that problem with frame rate occur when you convert video to other type with not to good converter.

before i encounter the same problem using xilisoft video cutter (because some of the forum members suggest on using that). and it not only run like that in rpg maker vx ace. but also picaview program (simple program which make when you right click a picture or movie it will preview in the right click menu). it will run so fast. but not on windows media player classic (it have auto recognize the framerate function in the program i guess). so i guess it's windows built in fault. and since this script use windows built in.......

try using the not converted one you have then or try search different video converter.

do you mean title video feature not work?

if yes search this line

module SceneManager

################ CONFIGURATION FOR VIDEO BEFORE TITLE #######################

#change this one if you want video title#

@video_title = nil

change @video_title = your files

make sure you download the latest codec

HI ESTY!!! /WAVE :lol:/> :P/>

Just to let u know... your in my project... u gotta try my project once its done.. you will be the first one to test it out =P

Edited by Non ya

I used avi format file, but I get this error...

The specificied file cannot be played on the specified MCI device. The file may be corrupt, not in the correct format, or no file handler available for this format.

What did I do wrong? I even installed the codec and I can play the video, but I keep getting this error and strangely for me ogg file works, a little help? :<

does it work with another avi files. if yes then your file might be corrupted (wrong indexing, missing index, etc).

sometimes corrupted avi files can still be played using windows media player classic. but that program is the GOD of video playing... :D.

you might also check this: when you click the seek bar in windows media player classic there's a delay (sometimes long one) then the movie go to the seek time then your file 100% corrupted...

example: you start the video. then you click on seek bar to any position (try middle of the movie). if there's delay before video played at that position then it's corrupted video (i have some corrupted video like that).

another possibilities maybe your operating system (windows 7? windows 8?). hope this help.

I tried scrolling my avi video from here and there, it plays all the way. So, could it be because of my OS? I am using windows 8 0w0;

Oh btw, if I were to tweak the settings for windows 8, does that mean I will have to create another version for windows 7? I use VLC Media Player to convert my files into avi.

OS is a possibility >.<.

you might try this out:

find CODEC that work for windows 8. :D.

hopefully it works.

you must include the codec and tell the 'user' to install it. so you might also include 'window 8' version codec and 'window 7' codec and maybe 'window xp' codec. and tell the user to install the correct codec.

btw i haven't try this script using windows 8. so i don't know will it work or not >.<. hopefully microsoft don't change much the win32api implementation in window 8.