• Announcements

• RagingHobo

Forum Upgraded!   07/17/2017

We have successfully upgraded our forum to the latest version! Some things have moved around but don't worry everything is still there, we still need to find updated versions of the plugins we were using previously to restore everything to the way it was. There will be a running topic in the Feedback and Support in case you notice something wrong. Before you do so please clear your browser cache and close your browser completely to rule out a caching issue. Thank you for your patience during the outage and while we get everything back to 150%  
EternalShadow

Zendir: A New World

57 posts in this topic

ZendirTitle.png

DLWORTP.png DLWRTP.png

For those with RPG Maker | For those without RPG Maker

TheStory.png

Off the coast of Zendir lies a small island, slowly being eroded away by the sea. On this island, magic is performed in secret for it is frowned upon by the community of the island, who blame it on the failure of their crops. One person in particular - Zaphilia - was chased out of the village when they saw her perform a magical act, but her childhood friend gives her an avenue of escape - the idea to travel to Zendir, the mainland, where magic is permitted. However, the disaster that has struck the small island is also prevalent on the mainland, and so it falls to Zaphilia to use her abilities to restore the land to what it once was whilst at the same time, restoring faith in magic!

Throughout Zaphilia's adventures, she will quite literally make friends, enemies and allies for life. The choices she makes in either helping or shunning them will heavily impact on whether she can save Zendir or not. There are at least three different endings to unlock, depending on which avenue of the story is taken and what choices are made. This is Zendir, a new world!

Screenshots.png

AN ENGROSSING STORY

Zendir6.png

EVERY NPC HAS SOMETHING TO SAY

Zendir1.png

Zendir5.png

HUMOROUS SIDE QUESTS

Zendir4.png

CHOICES TO MAKE, SECRETS TO UNCOVER

Zendir2.png

Characters.png

Zaphilia

Zaphilia has had to fend for herself since her parents abandoned her after an incident in her childhood. Since then, she's made friends with some of the locals, having to keep her magical ability hidden for the most part for fear of repercussions. However, her secret is let out and she quickly makes enemies, thus prompting the beginning of the game. Once her mind is made up, it cannot be changed. She is determined, curious and resourceful, a valuable asset to any party exploring the land of Zendir.

Zane

Zane originally became friends with Zaphilia because both of their names began with Z. Now much less naive than he was when he met Zaphilia, Zane has become much more distant as time has gone on. Nonetheless, he remains friends with her due to all the knowledge that they share together, and he is the one to stick up for Zaphilia and believe it wasn't her fault when the crops start dying on the island.

Anya

A young girl who Zaphilia befriended. She has an eccentric father and a (thankfully) normal mother, both of which appear to have contributed to her strange, mixed personality. She is a bag of all-sorts, holding many tricks up her sleeve as well as information that could prove helpful.

Dalnaycus

An over-excitable magician, Dalnaycus is a master of the arcane, the prized student of the Academy. He is witty and knows many of the Ancient Languages and doesn't hesitate in going anywhere with Zaphilia upon her induction to the academy. He however, looks disdainfully upon those who are not academy members, just as those who detest magicians, do.

Dorian

A clumsy, hapless boy who can't do a thing right. He originally wanted to be a squire for a Knight in Galapoca fortress, but they wouldn't take him in. Dreading the prospect of being sent back to his faraway home, he eventually finds another job working for the resident magician of Galapoca Fortress. It is one disaster after another though, and the first job he messes up leads to his introduction to the party...

...and many more!

Credits.png

Beta Testers

Rpgmakervxace.net

- Masonxy

Other Sites

- Gaignun Sasaki

- Suzaku Shina

- SilverLegion

RPG Maker

- Enterbrain

Tilesets

Hermit's Farm

Hermit's Shed

All areas in New Magic Academy

- Celianna

Music

Hersey

This is not a drill

Illix town

Fire Drill

Good Night II

- Aaron Krogh

Battle 7

Battle 8

Battle 9

Dungeon 1

Dungeon 2

Dungeon 3

Dungeon 4

Game Over 1

Theme 2

Theme 4

Town 2

Town 3

- Gyrowolf

Can you make it

Can you make it (custom)

Forgotten Kingdom

Mountain Pass

Seaside Story

The Glitch

Theme 1

Theme 6

Valiant Hero

- Reactive Owl

Florida Fire

Siphonia

They're Calling Us

- Eric Carter

Sound

They Approach

- Julio Weigend

Scripts

Title Screen Editor

- Zerbu Engine

Party Menu Editor

Party-Sized Menu

Save Engine

- Yanfly

Battle Transitions

Ash

- Mitchi.exe

Edited by HotfireLegend
Jiraffe likes this

Thanks, Sharky!

It's been three days, I'd like to hear the thoughts of everyone who's downloaded the game so far (or has not yet downloaded it and why) - thanks! :D

- Comments warm the hearts of game developers

Hey there,

I'll give your game a try, it looks like you put some work into it and your presentation is decent (and I want to distract myself from working on my term papers :D ), so why not play a little Zendir?

First things first though: please don't upload stuff solely on rapidshare, it really sucks, takes FOREVER (like an hour!) and if I'd have downloaded something else there today, I wouldn't be able to download your game now. (I'm not premium :( )

So, first impression: The mapping is kinda interesting (in the first town) since you avoided mapping real houses and just used the world map tiles... that's okay for me, though most houses are really empty and I can't enter most of them, so why did you put them there in the first place? The facesets (I know, they are the generator one's) are awful... the eyes just look really strange and big, everyone seems to be surprised for no reason :D At least for the main characters, please try to find nicer faces :D

The dialogues are quite well written, I like how some people have a personal way of speaking.

The academy is huge, there's really a lot of empty space and you should use wall tiles around it, it doesn't seem to have outer walls the way you mapped it. Also why did I get kicked out of town by an angry mob, but can just go back into the city? And why did they kick me out for using magic, but there's this HUGE magic academy and it seems to be totally normal to be a magician?

Next thing I know is I went on the world map, to a part near the beach, was teleported to a guy next to a pond and then into a small town and now I'm somewhere on a completely different island it seems... what happened? And an ancient rose monster defeated me and the guy who was supposed to be good with normal weapons but only did 2 DMG per swing... Game Over.

I'm kinda sorry to tell you, but this was not really fun to play. There seem to be a lot of things you still need to work on, I think I've taken a wrong route there, but that shouldn't be possible. The teleport events are all kinda strange and confusing to the player. Also the dialogues in the magic academy all seemed rather pointless... I enlisted by telling I like to collect cats and all they gave me were two spells... what kind of academy is that?

Please let some people test your game before you release it to the public, when I want to play a demo, I really don't want to be the bug tester...

EternalShadow likes this

If I'm going to be honest, the maps aren't very good, and I agree with most of what B2tR has said.

However, I must admit that you've definitely got grammar down, at least. This is really good to see in a game!

I think I remember seeing a post you made somewhere saying about how it only took you 30 days to make this game; is this correct? If so, that's not honestly something to be happy about (in my opinion.) A completed game in 30 days is highly likely to not be as good as those made in a longer time limit, and with that time you could have focused on improving it; maps, adding more side-quests to make it more interesting, etc.

Still, that's just my opinion there.

EternalShadow likes this

Hey there,

I'll give your game a try, it looks like you put some work into it and your presentation is decent (and I want to distract myself from working on my term papers :D ), so why not play a little Zendir?

First things first though: please don't upload stuff solely on rapidshare, it really sucks, takes FOREVER (like an hour!) and if I'd have downloaded something else there today, I wouldn't be able to download your game now. (I'm not premium :( )

So, first impression: The mapping is kinda interesting (in the first town) since you avoided mapping real houses and just used the world map tiles... that's okay for me, though most houses are really empty and I can't enter most of them, so why did you put them there in the first place? The facesets (I know, they are the generator one's) are awful... the eyes just look really strange and big, everyone seems to be surprised for no reason :D At least for the main characters, please try to find nicer faces :D

The dialogues are quite well written, I like how some people have a personal way of speaking.

The academy is huge, there's really a lot of empty space and you should use wall tiles around it, it doesn't seem to have outer walls the way you mapped it. Also why did I get kicked out of town by an angry mob, but can just go back into the city? And why did they kick me out for using magic, but there's this HUGE magic academy and it seems to be totally normal to be a magician?

Next thing I know is I went on the world map, to a part near the beach, was teleported to a guy next to a pond and then into a small town and now I'm somewhere on a completely different island it seems... what happened? And an ancient rose monster defeated me and the guy who was supposed to be good with normal weapons but only did 2 DMG per swing... Game Over.

I'm kinda sorry to tell you, but this was not really fun to play. There seem to be a lot of things you still need to work on, I think I've taken a wrong route there, but that shouldn't be possible. The teleport events are all kinda strange and confusing to the player. Also the dialogues in the magic academy all seemed rather pointless... I enlisted by telling I like to collect cats and all they gave me were two spells... what kind of academy is that?

Please let some people test your game before you release it to the public, when I want to play a demo, I really don't want to be the bug tester...

Oh no! Is the beta warp there? I was sure I removed it when I released it! No, no, it shouldn't have happened, I even playtested it many times as did my other beta testers! That's disastrous... Please, give it another shot and stay far away from that area, wherever it was. It was a beta warp zone so we could test the area.

The Magic Academy/mob thing is explained as you go along. Again, time constraints (as I state below). Sorry.

On the note of Rapidshare, people kept bugging me to upload it there, so I did. Most other places either have upload limits and suchlike (4shared requires an account, mediafire has a limit of 200 mb unless paying, etc)

This isn't a demo, it's the full game. It was tested many times but in a project of this magnitude, I'm sure you'll agree it's hard to test it ALL. I regret that I missed one event tile... :S

As for the Magic Academy, it's got a lot of space because the people are trying to move to the mainland. The mainland magic academy has far less free space and is much better mapped. It's near Rothgar City, I'd advise you to take a look :)

As for the guy who's good with normal weapons, that's either 'cos his weapon isn't very good or he faced a monster with high DEF. The Ancient Rose has low MDEF but high DEF. The key there is magic, of which both characters can do.

And Dezz, I didn't really have a choice about the 30 days. That's how long the Ace trial lasts, and I can't afford the full program yet. I will as soon as I can so I can have a look at this event I've supposedly missed :S

But thanks for the comments so far, please don't be let down by the beginning, lol. The game gets far better as you go along. I just didn't have time to return to the start and polish absolutely everything... *sigh*. But would you guys be happy with a Zendir 2 once I'm not restricted to 30 days? lol.

Hey, no worries. It's actually impressive you made it with the trial, to be honest.

And yeah, if you were to release Zendir 2 it'd be great so long as you put more time into it.

(Also, I forgot to mention before, but.. 140mb? Seems a little bit much for a game without including the RTP. xD)

EternalShadow likes this

140 is because of the music. I know, I thought it was high too, but the contributing factors could have been all the different images for the 50+ NPCs (all unique, custom-made, etc), the music, maps and stuff like that. There's 2 custom images (title screen and the map in Zaph's home) but the size of those is negligible. Oh well!

Of course, I'd put more time into Zendir 2 because then I wouldn't have the time constraints and I could make the game I've wanted to! I've got a video made for the introduction already (yes, a video in an RPG maker game! They're rare!) so I'm going to work on the extra assets for now, such as the story and probably an outline of the maps, items, etc. That way, I can ensure the quality is present in the entire game, not just the latter 75%.

Making this with the trial was why I stated it in the first place. If I made it without the trial, it would be nowhere near as impressive, lol.

A critical bug has been fixed as well as three other smaller bugs. You can copy your save over from the old file to the new to continue where you left off, and upgrading to this new version is highly recommended! Even if you don't have the RTP, you can now download the (no RTP) version unless this is your first RPGMaker download.

just played a bit until now and found an critical error :D

if you fight the count and the counselor and you are on the right side the game gets frozen ;)

just played a bit until now and found an critical error :D

if you fight the count and the counselor and you are on the right side the game gets frozen ;)

That's interesting, not sure why that'd happen. I'll have a look into it. Have you been able to reload and go on the left side instead?

well had a save from lvl 1 :D so well redone that wasn't too far so i redid that fast. and yes the left side works. the reason for the crash is that you dont check if he can walk there.

well had a save from lvl 1 :D so well redone that wasn't too far so i redid that fast. and yes the left side works. the reason for the crash is that you dont check if he can walk there.

Can you be more specific? What do you mean by 'check if he can walk there'? I.E: who and where?

well to fix it just add through ON at the beginning to the move route of the advisor and the count. they will freeze the game after you beat them if they are blocked by yourself.

well to fix it just add through ON at the beginning to the move route of the advisor and the count. they will freeze the game after you beat them if they are blocked by yourself.

Oh, I understand now! Ok, that is certainly fixable. I'll release another version of the game in the future, if a few more bugs pop up.

Ok here comes my review ;)

positive:

- The whole story was something you don't see often.

- The endboss is strong. (but pls no more 1 hit with best armor and over 2k hp :P)

- You have no linear gameplay, you can do other stuff before you go on with the story.

- Have some free healing spots / inns even though the inn's in Zendir are really cheap.

negative:

- You can get lost because you don't get enough information to what to do next. (atleast me xD)

- After you save Suzaku he won't even talk to you.

- You have to grind a lot for the equip.

- Too big world with too less towns / dungeons/ content.

- Monster skill dmg. Well I don't like zombies doing normal maybe 40 dmg to my mages and with the skill 600.

- You beat the game but still lose :P.

suggestions:

- The game kinda felt rushed (I know you made it in the trial), so tell the story a bit slower so that you can get into it.

- Keep an eye on the balancing. The axe guy did with the "axe axe axe" 50 dmg mage did 10 but with skill from 100 to 500 and Zane :/ from 150 to >1000 without a skill.

- Make stuff more interactive. Put events in spots where you maybe just get a message like "uhh thats a big hole, maybe someone should repair that ..."

- Add an questlog.

bugs:

- The already mentioned freeze bug.

- The 2 chests just before the fight with the girl that touched the magus staff change the color after they are opened.

Zendir-1.png

- Just some small map bugs.

Zendir-2.png

Zendir-3.png

Zendir-4.png

Well I hope i didn't forget something important. ;)

For 1 month time this game is still good.

I wish you great luck and fun for the sequel!

Ah, le passability and chest colours. I can fix those easily in the next version. As for Suzaku, I'll also fix that, thanks.

And here's a tip:

You can get the best ending if you get all your possible allies to come with you and fight for Zendir. There are 3 choosable endings, depending how many are in the party.

As for the questlog and more to do, I'll be releasing a Director's Cut with those in! :D

Thanks, and I'm glad you enjoyed it :D (Nothing makes me happier than knowing that lol)