Ventwig

VTS-Elemental Charge Field (With Charge Skill Evolutions!)

VTS-Elemental Charge Field - Version  1.21
By Ventwig

(VTS- Because everyone needs an obnoxious acronym to go along with them!)

Introduction
This script will add an elemental "charge" which acts as a damage multiplier for the elements of your choice! It also enables skills to "evolve" into other ones based on the fields' charge levels, just like Tales of The Abyss' FoFChange system!

Features
-Creates elemental "charges" that act as a damage multiplier!
-Using elemental attacks increase that element's "charge"!
-Opposing elements! Using one weakens the other!
-All skills of that element (friend or foe) uses the multiplier
-Easy to configure custom charges! Increase/decrease the "charge" in skills using notetags!
-Elements can be completely nullified or drained depending on their "charge"!
-Adds a dynamic feel of elements and party synchronization, especially using Charge Skill Evolutions!

-Use up to 8 opposing/independent fields!

Charge Skill Evolution:

Adapted from Tales of the Abyss' Field of Fonons Change, this new feature adds a new dynamic to skills!

Using notetags, a skill can have a requirement for the CSE. Once the requirement (a certain field being above a certain level) is met,

it will evolve into a new skill in the heat of battle while resetting that field! It allows the user to explore with skills and increases strategy

in battles!

Screenshots

A new element charge window!
8zsII.png
Multiplies the damage!
qgPwi.png
Can nullify or drain elements!
UIXiB.png

NEW VERSION SCREENSHOTS:

Now support up to eight elements! Tons of charges!

1ExExAD.png

Skills change to other ones based on elements' charge levels!

(Group Hug gives "CounterAttack" state, but if Fire's charge is at least 120, then it will turn into Flare Wall and give "CounterAttack" as well as buff the whole team's defences!)

XSEDGH5.png

Simple notetags for changing charge values and setting up the Charge Skill Evolutions! 

(Please note that I changed the name of the tags after this screenshot, so don't be writing <fofc_element>, look in the script)

(Fire can increase the Fire Charge by 10, but Flame II will up it by a whooping 50 points!)

45m1S9z.png

Compatability
Should be high!
Works with Battle Symphony Ace and YEA. 
Only things I tested, though.

How to Use
Copy into materials, but above main.

Tons of customizable features as well as easy setups!

Script
http://pastebin.com/h7y5A5u3

(If you want the window to be hidden when all fields are at 100% check post #15)

FAQ
Q: Go ahead and ask!

Credit and Thanks
-Usage rules are in the script
-Me, Ventiwg   :)
-Tsukihime helped me out with adjusting damage!

-Selchar was a great help enabling the CSE!

Updates
Version 1 (January 05, 2013) - Release
Version 1.2 (January 13, 2013) - More Elements, Notetags, and FoFChange!

Version 1.21 (March 22 2014) - Fixed a bug in charge value

Update Plans
-I don't know what I can add...SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!   :D

Edited by Ventwig

I've been experiencing an issue with this script. I'm using CP Battle script, but this error comes out only when I have a character with the counterattack state applied.

Says: Script 'Elemental Charge' line 205: NoMethodError occurred.

undefined method 'item' for nil:NilClass

Also, it doesn't always show up when it counterattacks, so it's really hard for me to understand what's the cause.

CP Battle engine: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=GWfAQQeN

I think I got what's the problem. If you set 4 elements in your script, but you use more than 4 in the system, like physical and so on, you'll get this error when dealing with skills or states that use these elements.

Looking forward for this to be fixed.

Edited by pinka

I've been experiencing an issue with this script. I'm using CP Battle script, but this error comes out only when I have a character with the counterattack state applied.

Says: Script 'Elemental Charge' line 205: NoMethodError occurred.

undefined method 'item' for nil:NilClass

Also, it doesn't always show up when it counterattacks, so it's really hard for me to understand what's the cause.

CP Battle engine: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=GWfAQQeN

I think I got what's the problem. If you set 4 elements in your script, but you use more than 4 in the system, like physical and so on, you'll get this error when dealing with skills or states that use these elements.

Looking forward for this to be fixed.

I don't seem to have a problem using other elements, but i will try and look into that counterattack problem

EDIT: no problem with counterattacking, either. Did you try putting my script above the cp system? i have it like that, but idk if that nullifies the system...

Edited by Ventwig

Glad to know you liked it :)

Also, if it's something that interests you, im trying to work on an extension that changes skills based on the current charge.

Just need to know how to change the skills...

I can add that, wouldn't be much of a hassle.

How many elements would you like? (first person suggested that as well but i never got to it XD)

Would like it to be customizable. Like some line where you can actually set how many you want them to be?

that IS possible and i WOULD be able to do that, except that would take more time.

If you had a set number, i could make it for you really quickly and then do the other one after im done the extension im working on, if not then ill do it after this extension with customizable

Any way to change the window appearance?

yes. it's through basic scripting, but what would you like to change?

EDIT:

Is it possible to hide the window when it's "unnecesary"? As in, when all values are at 100%.

yes, add this as a separate script under the main script

class Window_ElementCharge < Window_Base
  def refresh
    contents.clear
    set_values
    if @val1 == 100 and @val2 == 100 and @val3 == 100 and @val4 == 100
      self.opacity = 0
    else
      self.opacity = 255
      draw_elements
      draw_value
    end
  end
end
Edited by Ventwig

Just make it something a bit more polished. If Its doable by just scripting and adding a picture I'd be down to do the photoshop for it.  something like a pie graph that starts out with the colors of the elements (6 would be on mine personally) and the colors start in the middle.  depending on the adding or subtracting of the skil lthe colors would then move inward or outward until they reach the max or minimum.

Just make it something a bit more polished. If Its doable by just scripting and adding a picture I'd be down to do the photoshop for it.  something like a pie graph that starts out with the colors of the elements (6 would be on mine personally) and the colors start in the middle.  depending on the adding or subtracting of the skil lthe colors would then move inward or outward until they reach the max or minimum.

That's a little too difficult for me personally, but i wouldnt mind if you requested someone to do that because i think it's a cool idea.

Sorry i cant be of much use =/

And ill add the option for more elements soon because that seems to be a popular addition

Sorry if this counts as early bumping, I'd just like to let everyone know that the script now supports up to eight elements and a couple more new features.

Enjoy :)

Nice Script!

I changed the display location of some of the info within the window. Now I'd like to change the HEIGHT of the window. I tried adding HEIGHT = X in line 105 but it's not having any effect. Is there somewhere I can change the height of the window within the script?

I love you right now XD,this script is bloody perfect for my game <3,although I'm wondering if theres anyway to use it via script calls for stuff like weather (Its raining so fire skills are powered down kinda stuff)

Well, does your weather system have some sort of switches/variables implented into it, or do you just mean like plain old weather effects in the game editor?

Because changing the value an EC begins with via switch/variable is a simple implentation

Thanks for the response :D ,and yes it uses switches.

alright, then this is simply customization you can actually implent yourself ;)

you'll see a bunch of lines that look like this around line 247:

$vts_elechrg1 = 100
    $vts_elechrg2 = 100
    $vts_elechrg3 = 100
    $vts_elechrg4 = 100
    $vts_elechrg5 = 100 if VTS_ECF::ELE5 != nil
    $vts_elechrg6 = 100 if VTS_ECF::ELE6 != nil
    $vts_elechrg7 = 100 if VTS_ECF::ELE7 != nil
    $vts_elechrg8 = 100 if VTS_ECF::ELE8 != nil

for one piece, change that code to:

if $game_switches[x] #if swithch x is on
   $vts_elechrg1 = 80