KMS Cursor Animation

KMS Cursor Animation

Script by Tomy

http://ytomy.sakura.ne.jp/

Latest Version: 2012/01/22

post-103-0-69316200-1327277625_thumb.png

post-103-0-28153500-1327277637_thumb.png

Description

Displays an animated cursor for menu selection windows.

Latest Updates

2012/02/19 - Fixed the crash that happens when you go into Game End.

Script

KMS Cursor Animation 2012-02-19.txt

The CursorAnimation.png must be placed in the Graphics/System folder in your project.

CursorAnimation.png

Installation

Paste this script into its own page within the "Materials" section in the script editor of your project.

The CursorAnimation.png must be placed in the Graphics/System folder in your project.

How to Use

This script has a customization module. Please read the comments thoroughly.

There is no limit to the size of the cursor graphic. The size of the cursor graphic will depend on the how many frames you want to use.

The frame width is divided by 8. This is even if you choose to use less than 8 frames in the cursor animation.

The height of the cursor graphic depends on the FRAME_COUNT setting the script.

If FRAME_COUNT is 8 or less, only one row is needed

If FRAME_COUNT is 9~16, two rows are needed

If FRAME_COUNT is 17~24, three rows are needed

And so on...

The following image illustrates the case when FRAME_COUNT is 12:

post-103-0-50807000-1327278274_thumb.png

Compatibility

N/A

Terms and Conditions

http://ytomy.sakura....tech/rules.html

Quick English summary:

-Use KMS scripts at your own risk and backup your project

-Kamesoft does not accept requests

-Editing the script is fine as well as distributing modified versions. Just don't say you made it all yourself.

-Usage does not require crediting to original author

-You cannot(?) use this script in mature/adult games(?) (ages 15+ ~ 18+)

-FREE for use in commercial/shareware games

The English version translated by Mr. Bubble, but credit to Mr. Bubble is not necessary.

If the line is to be read as it is stated, I would support him. If, on a personal stance, KMS doesn't support such mature activity and takes pride in the scripts he does, then it only makes sense that he wouldn't want it seen in such types of games, media, etc.

That type of behaviour is perfectly understandable where I come from,...if that is what the line says.

Anyways, I'm really glad he did this script; It was a neat nice-to-have for VX. Thanks for translating.

I've found a bug... When I press ESC to go to Menu from End Game I receive an error message

line 318: RGSSError occurred.

disposed viewport

I've tried to fix it but I failed...

EDIT: The new version fix the bug...

Edited by Melosx

I've found a bug... When I press ESC to go to Menu from End Game I receive an error message

line 318: RGSSError occurred.

disposed viewport

I've tried to fix it but I failed...

EDIT: The new version fix the bug...

Now Im getting the same problem :(

Nice script, yet it requires  more compatibility with Galv's Menu Themes Engine. It works well most of the time except for the main menu customized by Galv's Menu Themes Engine, where the cursor doesn't move at all, no matter I put it above the Galv's Menu Themes Engine or below.

Here's the Galv's Menu Themes Engine:

http://galvs-scripts.com/2013/04/14/menu-themes-engine/

Could you help me fix it?

Nice script, yet it requires  more compatibility with Galv's Menu Themes Engine. It works well most of the time except for the main menu customized by Galv's Menu Themes Engine, where the cursor doesn't move at all, no matter I put it above the Galv's Menu Themes Engine or below.

Here's the Galv's Menu Themes Engine:

http://galvs-scripts.com/2013/04/14/menu-themes-engine/

Could you help me fix it?

I use this and Galv's Menu Themes script, and I did have to fix some compatibility a few months ago.  Around like 539 in Galv's Menu Theme, you have this:

def dispose
    @menu_buttons.each { |btn| btn.dispose }
    super
  end

I think I just commented out the stuff immediately afterwards.  Here is what I have following the above code:

# HERE IS WHERE WE KMS MENU CURSOR FIX?  YES IT IS.
 # def update_cursor
 #   if @cursor_all
 #     cursor_rect.empty
 #     self.top_row = 0
 #   elsif @index < 0
 #     cursor_rect.empty
  #  else
  #    ensure_cursor_visible
  #    cursor_rect.empty
  #  end
 # end

Does anyone know if it is possible to use a script call to change the animated cursor file ingame?

Does anyone know if it is possible to use a script call to change the animated cursor file ingame?

Long answer:

No, it is not possible to change the cursor file used by the script in-game via a script call. The filename is specified by a constant which means that it's supposed to remain, well, constant throughout its entire use. You would have to modify the script to make this possible.

And even if you did that and made it possible to change the filename through a script call, the way the script is coded means that the file is only loaded once per Scene. For a concrete example, this means that if you were to open a message box with choices, use a script call to change the cursor file and then open up another message box with choices, the original cursor file would still be used even after the filename change. In order to make the change take effect, you would have to enter a new Scene (like enter the menu or enter a battle) to make the script reload the animation file (and thereby look for the new file when loading it).

Short answer:

Yes. But you'd need to know how to extensively modify the script to do it, and then modify the script. Otherwise no.