'Fire Emblem / Disgaea' Weapon System

'Fire Emblem / Disgaea' Weapon System

Version: 1.0

Author: DiamondandPlatinum3

Date: January 10, 2012

Planned Future Versions

• You Tell Me :)
Description

This script introduces a mixture of both Fire Emblem's and Disgaea's weapon system to your game.

With this script you can allow your actors to have access to any weapon (unless you don't want them to, of course), so long as the actor has a high enough weapon skill level to wield it, this is the script mimicking Fire Emblem's weapon system.

When improving a weapon rank, you'll also earn parameter bonuses for that weapon type, which can be further improved as your weapon rank increases, mimicking Disgaea's weapon system.

Features

• Allows your actors to equip any weapon.
  • Can restrict certain weapon types from an actor, so perhaps a soldier isn't going to use any Staves?
  • Can restrict access to a certain weapon until your actor has a high enough weapon rank to be able to wield it.
  • Can improve parameters for actors when equipping weapon types that they have leveled up with.
  • Can learn skills via weapon level upgrade and only keep it whilst using that weapon type.
  • Can display a level up message box when you have gone up a rank in weapon.
Screenshots

WeaponSystemScreenGraphic1.png

WeaponSystemScreenGraphic2.png

Instructions

Instructions are inside of the script, but it's a little complicated so I made a video tutorial on what things do. It can be seen here:

Watch on Youtube here

Script

Get it from here

Credit

• DiamondandPlatinum3
Thanks
  • IAMFORTE - No special reason, just wanted to put him on the thanks list :)
  • Bunni89 - For requesting this script
Support

Post in this thread or PM me.

Known Compatibility Issues

I am unaware of any scripts it doesn't work with; if you find any, post in this thread.

Patches

GubiD's GTBS Attack Patch: GubiD doesn't seem to be using the normal attack method in his GTBS, this means that all aspects of this script works with GTBS except for normal attacking; this patch fixes that.

Paste this code in its own script slot below all GTBS related scripts.

GubiD's GTBS: Add Weapon Status Command Option: This Add-on will simply allow you to view your actors Weapon Level Status during a TBS Battle

‘Apply Weapon Type Limit to Actor Classes instead of Individual Actors’: This Patch simply allows you to insert the ~DoNotEquip Notetag in the Actor Classes instead of the actors themselves. This means that if your actor switches classes, you can readjust what weapons they are limited to to match this new class type.

Demo

I really think the Video should be enough to cover this, so I don't anticipate the necessity of a demo.

Author's Notes

This weeks scripting has been brought to you by the letter 'H', as in "Helium tanks, optimal... Maneuver props engaged!"

Terms of Use

If you can find a use for it, this script is free to use in non-commercial games. If you want to use this script in a commercial game, please understand that I expect a free copy (that's means you PM me and let me know that you plan on using it for a commercial game).

Edited by DP3

i think in disgaea the bonus parameter is in percentage. not flat status. :D. just some info. and by using flat status add. i guess it won't be useful higher level / lategame

in disgaea

Atk = 110%

Def = 125%

like that. i think :D.

Yay, thank you so much for this!

Now i think about it.. yeah i think Disgaea had percentages and I didn't notice you were doing flat rate upgrades.. if it's not too much trouble could you modify the script? Otherwise yeah at lategame all the time you spent building up levels would be practically useless when you could deal 9000 damage with a regular sword and 9050 at S rank.

This script sounds very cool! Although I won't be using it until they release a tactical battle system for RPG Maker VX Ace.  Anyway great job on coming up with this script :)

I can do percentages, that's fine.

Problem is I've been trying to do so and it works absolutely fine for your stats, but for some reason it messes up your equip scene. That green or red text in the equip menu which informs you of whether or not the weapon you're trying to equip will increase your parameters isn't accurate anymore, and since it uses the same way of checking bonus params as it does to distribute it, this has me puzzled. Nonetheless, if defaults aren't working for you, it's time to make your own, so that won't be a problem soon.

What I DO need to know is what people think about the Message Display.

It can't always be accurate in telling you whether or not a bonus param has been upgraded with percentages.

Example:

If at Weapon Level "E" you get no bonus for params, but at Weapon Level "D" you get a 2% param bonus.

Lets say that your actor currently has an ATK power of 30...

2% of 30 is still zero and I won't earn any bonuses in this weapon rank until my normal ATK param is at least 50.

What do you want the script to do? Inform you that you are getting a bonus even though if you were to check it out, you're really not getting one (not yet anyway), or would you rather it just not tell you at all?

you should do with higher number i think. 10% of 30 is 3.

in disgaea it's really huge boost (since that game also have crazy stats).

and the major point of using percentage is that it grow stronger with stronger status.

10% of 300 = 30 attack.

maybe:

E = 110%
D = 120%
C = 130%
B = 140%
A = 150%
S = 160%

if parameter is 300

so S level bonus is 60% * 300 = 180 status.

if parameter is 30

S level bonus is 60% * 30 = 18 status.

or just put that in configuration for the developer of the game to set. so they can balance their game their selves. :D

FYI didn't mean to offend you just want to tell you information about disgaea... in disgaea... this SABCDE things is not disgaea weapon level. it's just it's weapon affinities system

in disgaea... every class/actor have their affinities to the weapon. if their affinities is good. they earn more weapon exp when using that weapon.

and the weapon exp will increase the weapon skill level. (start at 0 max 255 and at lv 255 it sure boooooossssttt your status).

and when reaching certain weapon lv. that weapon skill unlocked.

so i think this looks more like fire emblem weapon system i think.

Edited by estriole

I'm not the one setting up the percentages though. That's why I'm asking.

SABCDE is the Fire Emblem Weapon Levels, that was actually the point :)

Though unless you ask it to affect anything, the whole Fire Emblem part of this script can be NULL.

I like the fire emblem disgaea fusion, even if I haven't played fire emblem so i can barely tell what was changed XD

I agree with estriole though I think he/she explained it badly.. I'm assuming they meant "percentages should begin at 10 so that a difference is visible even if your stats are low" And I think even if you DO have a stat that's too low to be affected by a percentage, it should still show the percentage. I mean if you're dull enough to not realize the number isn't big enough to go up yet... XD

But perhaps some safety measure in case of dumbs. Like make it so that in the event a percentage wouldn't affect a stat it'll go up by 1 point instead of zero. Just so then its obvious its working and we don't get idiots reporting an error that doesn't exist.

I hope you can figure out what's up with the equip screen error, if not I guess I'll just live with it being base numbers only and really go all out with balancing my levels to make sure stats are small enough that the difference remains useful even at max level.

i guess i do explain it badly. i just want to point out that 10% is still not making your character overpower. and disgaea also use 10% incrementation as long as i remember right... (or 5% if forgot)

what i mean is if maybe it's better to have some configuration on how may % added for certain weapon level.

so developer could alter the percentage they want their self. because some people have different stats setting. some would like great stats. some would like lower stats. so if you make that configureable...  it would work for all project

example

great stats lover project use 2% per weapon LV increase

low stats lover project use 10% per weapon LV increase

etc.

and i really thing percentage is still better because it give more the more you have... :D (late game i means :D)

flat status great at beginning but sucks end game...

Edited by estriole

You could just make variables to solve this problem easily. A boolean to decide whether its Percentages or Flat.

Then SABCDE where users can input an integer. Example, 10; under flat it adds 10 to the stat, under percentage it does 110%.

Updated with percentages. Also have the choice between the Full or Lite versions of the script.

You could just make variables to solve this problem easily. A boolean to decide whether its Percentages or Flat.

Then SABCDE where users can input an integer. Example, 10; under flat it adds 10 to the stat, under percentage it does 110%.

Given the outcry for the necessity of Percentages, I don't think Flat rates will be effective late in-game. Percentages are probably easier for the user rather than flat base anyway :) Edited by DP3

I actually really like the concept of this script. Might consider using it in a future project. Keep up the good work bro.

^ Answered above post in a PM. Currently you cannot use this script per Actor Class instead of Actor Member. Though it appears the above poster is planning on adding it in.

Script has been patched for GTBS, including the ability to view the Weapon Status during the TBS Battle_Scene and a patch so that attacks update your skill level (as everything besides attack was currently working with GTBS).

This is a damn useful script, but I'm getting an error after leveling up and trying to use skills in battle.

line 1366: NameError occured.

underfined local variable or method 'actor_id' for

#<Game_Actor:0x900b1a4>

On line 1366 and 1376, replace 'actor_id' with 'self.id'.

Edit: Alternatively, I've updated the script on pastebin.

Thanks for the bug report :)

Edited by DP3

I have some projects and I have this problem with all of them...

"Script line 536: NoMethodError occurred.

undefined method `>=' for nil:NilClass"

Line 536: return "S" if wCurrentSkill >= WeaponAccumulation[wType][4]

When I delete all scripts to see what causes it crash, it still stay.

This happens when I open "Weapon level" menu.

If you could tell me why this happens... Ty n_n

Are you using the latest version?

I cannot replicate this error you're having with the latest version, so if you are using the latest you're gonna need to send me your project for me to figure anything out.

Now I have the latest version, and I've noticed that I have a "database breaker" in all my projects (but it is a common event), could that be the cause? At first when I put the "database breaker" your script works fine, but when I go running tests comes a time when your script stops working. If you want me to send the project leave me a email or if you want I can upload it to mediafire.

Try swapping the order of those two scripts and if it still breaks, upload it to mediafire.

Edit: After getting your PM and looking at the project, the answer is really simple. You've got the script set up with the default 10 weapon types. But your game itself actually only has 1.

Basically you've set up more than you have and so the script is trying to check those other weapons types but it can't get them because they don't exist, since you've removed them.

I updated the script so that it now checks to make sure the item exists first.

Edited by DP3