Wendell

Helvetios FULL GAME (First Release v 1.0)

posttitle.png

Current version: 1.0

*READ THIS FIRST!*
Greetings. I'm Wendell Simmons and I'm brazilian, so, if I make a grotesque english error, please, forgive-me. This is not my first project, but it's the first one that I'm really focusing and working a lot on. I hope you like it and give your thoughts about the game and your suggestions.

CHARACTERS

hanzfile.png

-

evafile.png

There are more characters, but they profile will spoil the game's story and mystery, so, I decided to not post them.

STORY
Helvetios is the most recent discovered planet. The Earth Federation built a base in order to study the life's conditions in that planet, as they find out a very high percentage of oxygen in it's atmosphere. At the game's current year, something happened in the base. The robots that were helping the scientists with the research attacked and killed almost everyone in the base. An Elite Soldier from Earth was sent to the planet Helvetios to lead the base's soldiers and help to evacuate the area to a safe spot, to wait for back up and the rescue ship. When he arrives, he finds a few survivors, but no one knows what really happened or where is the other survivors. Hanz finds himself trapped into a hostile planet and have to find a way to escape with any survivor he can find, but he can't trust anyone: what was told him maybe isn't the truth about the robot's attack. Can be Earth Federation the one behind of it all? It's up to you to find out!

THE ENDINGS
Helvetios have 4 different endings, all of them based on your choices during the game.The main endings are:

BAD ENDING, the ranking C
GOOD ENDING, the ranking B
TRUE ENDING, the ranking A
SECRET ENDING, the ranking S

FEATURES

4 different endings;
New Game+ after completing the game with a ranking B or A;
New weapons and locations acessible while playing the New Game+ Mode;
A large variety of shotting types;

GAME ENGINE
Helvetios uses the SAPPHIRE ACTION SYSTEM created by Khas Arcthunder (http://arcthunder.site40.net/). The commands are simple:

A key: attacks with equiped weapon
S key: uses selected skill
D key: changes skill

Something important about the SAS is that it includes the pixel movement script and I can't remove it, or the script will crash. If you walk too close of the wall and the edges you will see the cape of the hero ''entering'' the wall tileset a little. Well, I am very sorry for this but nothing can be done, until a new and improved version of the SAS be released. Some enemies, like the floating eye ones and other ones that only uses ranged attacks, will stop attacking if you or he get pressed in to a wall. This is also a script bug, and cannot be fixed yet. I hope you all understand this, cause I know nothing about scripts and I depend on the creator to fix this.

SCREENSHOTS (with the older character)

scr1.png

scr10.png

scr4.png

itemglow.png

matchbox.png

newpharm.png

newspot.png

THE MINI GAME MODE WILL BE LAUNCHED ON A FUTURE NEW VERSION OF HELVETIOS. PLEASE WAIT.

mgts.png

(title screen by rgangsta)

The Mini Game mode is an adventure not dicrectly related with the main game, but, by playing it you'll know what happened with some characters before the events of the main game. You can play the mini game even if you did not played the main game before, but to fully understand it's story you must play the main game.

unspoil to see the screens

You don't have any weapons. Your only method to survive is to use the Mutation Circles around the game to activate the character's special ability: vanish.

mg1.png

mg2.png

While vanished you can pass through some walls, bars, pipes and some other objects.

mg3.png

The enemies will not be able to sense you while vanished, so, you can stay close to them and even pass through them while in that state, but you cannot interact with some objects like buttons and items on the ground. You can only interact with them while in the normal state.

mg4.png

In the normal state you can press switches, take items and check suspect things but the enemies will see you if you get too close of them! So, it's up to you to figure out what's the best way to pass each room: vanished or not.

mg5.png

A demonstration video will be released soon, so, stay tuned!

CREDITS
Between Truth and Fantasy
Enterbrain
RGangsta
Khas Arcthunder
Megatronx
Ice Dragon
Tsukihime

I hope you like it and comment.

-

DOWNLOAD

ALRIGHT, HERE WE GO!

This is the first release of the Full Version of Helvetios and it DOES NOT HAVE the Mini Game Mode (will be launched on a future version) so, click on the LINK below and prepare for the most exciting Sci-Fi adventure of your life! Please, don't forget to leave your comments and thoughts about the game!

http://www.4shared.com/rar/QCs8w1xT/Helvetios_v_10.html?

IMPORTANT: Download the following fix of the game data and put it in the game folder. It'll fix a small bug. (until I don't re-up the entire version)

FIX: http://www.mediafire.com/?zj5bu153thhr8xz

Edited by Wendell

Well I wanted to try your demo since I've been seeing stuff for your game for a while now and was getting interested in it.

Anyways I tried the demo and I ran into a pretty big bug. That would be the A and S keys don't do anything. They're supposed to be how I attack right? Well I wasn't attacking at all. I went in and pressed F1 to try and change the controls and when I changed the A key to X and the S key to Y it does what it's supposed to do.

And while I'm here I should mention two other things I noticed during the short time I played so far. First, there is a typo in the beginning with the scrolling text. It says "oxigen" when it's supoosed to be "oxygen". Second on is, I ran into a eye robot thing that chased me but when it got really close to me it stopped attacking me and just blocked me from moving past it. I'm assuming it's supposed to keep attacking me though.

Anyways I'm off to finish the demo since I just figured out how to get the game to let me attack.

@superBlast: in the very first begining you are not able to attack. only if you pass your ID Card in the computer on the first screen, at the right side of the scan chamber. did you do that? I tested here and the keys A, S and D were working normally.

about the floating eye, this is a little bug of the action system. sometimes, if you get stuck in a wall by an enemy that only shots and do not phisical attacks, it will not attack. it's the script xD

about the text, thanks. I didn't notice that was wrong and I'll fix it up.

Thank you for playing!

I played it until I died - when I met the first flame thrower robot with out warning. I saw the recovery crystal but I figured I'd wait a bit longer to use it as there was only an eyebot and a normal robot. Controls were fine, graphically the project is pretty solid.

From what I played the game seemed fine with some good features. My recommendations are:

• Either differentiate enemies more, so for example when I meet the flame thrower robots I can tell that their more dangerous or tell us some other way that the enemy is stronger.
  • In the room with the tools, could you make it more obvious where the screwdriver is? Just when I first clicked on the tool things I was told that there were tools. Nothing more. Either let us find the screw driver in which ever box we check or direct us to also check the other boxes.
  • I did find the paper, no idea what it was used for. I only clicked it because I hadn't seen any other piles of paper lying around. Not everyone will do that, maybe again make it more obvious that we can interact with it.
  • I don't know if it's the battle system or the pixel movement (and whether they're the same script or not) but there were some instances of my character walking over the edges of walls. Also in one space corridors it was sometimes awkward to line up properly. I don't know if you could perhaps auto detect that one of the two squares you're trying to move up into is passable and the other not and then move up or down to smooth the movement. Also sometimes like with the tool boxes, I thought I had checked them all but really I hadn't because of the lining up problem.

Over-all it was as I said fine with some good features. Most of what I suggested would help streamline the experience. Keep up the good work.

Nevermind SuperBlast... obviously you play at least 5 minutes before writting a comment... otherwise you might miss the part that teaches you how to attack (And that part is presented about 2 minutes into the game).

As far as my opinion goes, the game is looking superb! Even in VX not many games were made with action battle system, so you have that going for ya'! I haven't exactly finished the demo, but other than a few typos, so far things are looking great! My only problem is the simplicity of battles, but I understand that not many ABS systems were made for VX Ace yet, and the one you used is quite limited in certain areas, so I'm quite pleased with what you menaged to pull off with it!

Overall, good work! I hope to see this finished ;)

@Fomar0153: first of all, thanks for playing and for your recomendations. about the movement, it's the pixel movement script. it is together with the action system, and is necessary for the skills to work properly, so, unfortunately, until a new version of the script is launched, it'll have to be that way, I am very sorry for this. about the enemies, I agree, I was thinking about this earlier, in the full project the changes will be made and I'll make more enemies graphics, and don't worry about the recovery crystals, there is one in each room xD thanks for your suggestions and keep up the comments when you play more! and the paper, It is not crucial to the game. is just something extra that will be used later, if the player did not find it, will not affect nothing the game.

@nexy: thank you! I guarantee that there is a LOT of things to do in this demo, and as you said, yes the battles are simply. this is the only action system that fits in what I have in mind for now, and if some other appears, I'll improve it! I hope you finish it! thank you for playing and as I said, my english is not that good, so I'm doing my best!

Edited by Wendell

No I mean I already checked the the computer that let's me attack. Your HUD doesn't display until you do right? Well my HUD with all my stats was on screen but I still couldn't attack. I really couldn't attack until I changed the controls. The only reason I wrote the comment was because until I fixed the problem I couldn't move on wit the game and then when I was done with the post I came up with the idea to try changing the controls and I figured I'd just post it anyways since it was already typed. Well anyways maybe it was just a problem on my side for some reason.

Anyways I completed the demo and I was pretty fun for me. I didn't have any problems other then the one I mention with the controls. I really liked it but was expecting to get to fight the boss that's in your screenshot but oh well.

I took a bunch of screenshots of some typos I noticed or a few things that didn't really feel right saying but I'm not sure if you just want me to post them here or pm you them since they could have some spoilers about the demo.

Anyways I hope you complete this. I wanna know what happens next lol.

@superBlast: I am really grateful! Thank yoy for playing man. If you could, please pm me the screen shots with the typos and I'll fix them. Well, the crab boss is optional. You didn't found it? and anyways, tell me what do you think about the hospital puzzle.

@ShinGamix: Thanks man! Leave your comment here please and tell me if you liked it!

@Knight: beef up? what I'm supposed to add? EDIT: I implemented some more. is that good enough?

Edited by Wendell

@Wen - I thought it was good enough the first time but I just know Sevith and his Iron Fist of Game Thread Closing likes to close development topics like he was closing on a car sale if there's not enough words. Just didn't want to see the thread die is all.

Two words: Hard. Fun.

The attack system is easy enough to learn without being overly complicated (A,S,D). Playing action games on a keyboard isn't always easy, so having it simple like that is a plus. The game can be very challenging, as I died almost right off the bat (in the room right after going through training). And still it is fun. I'll be starting up for a second play through here in a moment.

My only gripe is the movement of the character's sprite is a bit clunky. If he's not perfectly lined up to go down a new hallway, he hits the wall. Not a problem until you're trying to run from a horde of enemies, because then there's the potential they can block you in.

Edit: Playing through again and learned a few techniques, namely that I can go back to the training room and recover as much as I need to. It does make the combat easier, although constantly having to go back there to heal up is a bummer. Hopefully more recover areas will be available later. A nice hybrid of rpg, sci-fi, and even a bit of survival horror.

Edited by amerk

@amerk: Thank you for playing! Even myself, I died so many times while testing, so I decided to put some recovery crystals all over the game xD I hope you find all the hidden things and the optional boss (that is not optional in the full version) and enjoy the puzzles! Post here again and tell me if you liked it after finishing!

Really well mapped, cool battle system, but all scripts I have seen. There is nothing to grip me, nothing shouting "play me I am awesome!" Some text and blah blah and some custom sounds and music. For a demo, 6.5 out of 10. I didn't care for the battle system, your toon is too static when attacking, he needs an expression on his face and a hand on the sword and some movement. Even if the product gets finished, it is really basic and has a few spelling errors. It is like 90% of the decent playable RM games out there. It is ok some noticable bugs and overall just basic. I love the SciFi theme, but there just isn't enough going on. Have a lead, some side jabber, and a possible metronome to the game. It just doesn't flow. Overall though really well thought out, but far from finished.

@endafy: I would really like to make the hero face changes when it attacks, but, as I've said before, the script is new and is not mine, so, there is nothing I can do for now but just wait to a new version. The spelling errors are being fixed thanks to some buddies help (english is not my native language). Some maps and other things are being remade and implemented with more details and stuff. Thanks for playing!

Hey, finally got around to finishing that demo...

And I'm seriously amazed! Just wanted to say that I seriously can't wait for a complete game, escepially with all those new goodies you are showing off :)

Thanks NeXy! If you enjoyed the first version you'll love the full xD I'm working hard and correcting all the bugs and typo errors. Some maps I remade and others I added a lot of new things. Oh, there is more skills avaliable too! Thanks for playing and wait for the full version (or another demo?)

Woah, this one's looking pretty awesome. I loved the sci-fi setting; the mapping is superb and the design is amazing overall. The project could use some more love, storywise, and there are a few issues here and there with the ABS (already pointed out in this thread) but it's well-implemented, straightforward and, let's say it, pretty hard at times.

Work a bit more on the spelling in dialogues, and I'd also like to see more of the storyline in general... maybe add research files and old papers with flavor data, or unveil the story more consistently as you advance through the different rooms. For example, have Hanz comment on the status of things in the base and perhaps some background history.

That said, I died in the large room where you first find plants and I'll get back on it sometime later. The game's difficulty is a bit steep, and I sometimes get caught badly between two enemies or in a dead end. :unsure:

@Hesufo: Thanks a lot! Well, that version avaliable for download I consider a old one, so, don't worry too much about the errors, the excess of difficulty and the poor background. I did a LOT of modifications based on you guys comments. I am considering everything you all are pointing and implementing it all in the game. If you check the updates section you'll see a few new things, but I did a lot more of implements, including a mini game mode that you control a spaceship. I hope you like the full version and thank you so much for playing, your opinion is very important.

@endafy: I would really like to make the hero face changes when it attacks, but, as I've said before, the script is new and is not mine, so, there is nothing I can do for now but just wait to a new version. The spelling errors are being fixed thanks to some buddies help (english is not my native language). Some maps and other things are being remade and implemented with more details and stuff. Thanks for playing!

Make a common event that is a parralel process, call it on the first map. In the common event put a conditional branch that when the attack button is pressed it changes the actor graphic to a different one with his hand out holding the sword, then when not pressed changes back to normal. Not really a scripting issue, but spriting and common eventing and parallel processing. Happy RMing! I love what you did, adding features and such, but content over gear. Empty and devoid of NPCs makes this dull. Have stuff happening that is completely irrelevant to the story. This is a wonderful start! It is like a work of art or a book, you just need to keep adding adding adding!

@endafy: Thanks again! I'll try to make the sprite holding the sword, but I'll have some trouble with it cause the sword swing when the attack button is pressed is part of the script, and if I put any other graphic it'ill be overlaid. The sword graphic is automatically drawed by the script, using the weapon id in the database. As I said, a very limited script, but is the only one that fits what I'm trying to make. Well, not having a deep plot and npcs with refined background makes the story a little empty, but provides me to insert ANY kind of implements in the game, as you said. What I do when I finnish a new area or a new map is check what else I can add to it, and doing this I can figure out what I can implement in the previous ones! I lose in some points but I gain in others xD thanks for the support and wait for the full version with A LOT (its really a lot) of implements! Hope you like the mini game too!