Shadowmaster9000

Item Based Journal System

Script

Version 3.1: http://www.crimson-castle.co.uk/rpgmakerscripts/ItemBasedJournalV3-1.txt

This script adds a quest based journal system. But unlike most journal system, this one uses items as quests, which comes with its own advantages and disadvantages. This is how you add quests to your journal:

questitemdatabase.png

You tag the items with the various note tags that can be found within the script. Tagging an item with the <quest>, <completed> or <failed> tags will turn it into a quest item, preventing it from showing in all item menus, and will instead only show up in the journal screen.

This is how the quests will appear on the journal screen:

allquests.png

You can customise how these quests are viewed in just about anyway you want, and you also have up to 4 quest categories to play around with (although 1 of them is always set to simply view all quest items). Below are examples of the different ways the quests can be displayed:

completedquests.pngactivequests.pngfailedquests.png

The system has been designed so that if you don't include any attribute tags you don't want for a quest, the attribute name will not show up in that quest's list. So say that you don't want the reward attribute to show up, simply don't use any <reward: "string"> tags in your quest items.

You can also set up multiple lines for an attribute by using \N within the string.

If you ever want to change any information or the category for a quest, you have to make a duplicate quest item with the different information. The quests can still be viewed in your item menu but will fall under a new category called Quests.

questsinitemmenu.png

Unlike the Journal scene this will not show any of the quest information you give for the Journal scene and act like what any other item would. You can easily disable quest items showing up in your items menu altogether.

This script also allows you to access the journal scene from the main menu, but this can also be disabled.

journalmenu.png

alternatively you can access the journal scene by using the script call:

SceneManager.call(Scene_Journal)
But if you do have any questions on how to use this system, feel free to ask me. Edited by Shadowmaster9000

Sounds Great! You know their are a lot of Journal scripts and Quest log scripts,

But this one defiantly would give me side quests ideas.

Besides I guess when the Item is removed, then the quest shall be removed huh,

which is cool too.

I could think of really wicked ideas with this script.

Really cool.

Thank you ^_^, and yes the quest is removed from the journal menu when you remove the item it is attached to. Although you have to be careful and make sure you have removed the whole item stack, because the journal menu does not show how many of each quest you have (which was intentional, cause I thought having a number next to the quest would not look good).

I'll look at this definitely when I'm choosing a quest system. With GTBS Ace[i'm beta testing it], this will be perfect for something like Final Fantasy Tactics.

How did you get the text to show up like a paragraph without it disappearing off to the side? I can only enter one line of text thats short otherwise it veers off to far off screen. I tried pressing enter and letting it go down a line in the description box but it still makes it show up like its one line and it veers off screen again. How do i do what you did with the description and make it long without making the text disappear?

Hi there! I tried using your script but the Option isn't appearing in my Menu. I changed "Journal" to "Quest Log" for it to show this way in the menu at Line 117 but that's it. Nothing is showing when I add the item. Here is the tags i'm using: Do I need to add more than that?

<quest>
<questdesc:Test>

Thanks

I got it figured out Thanks! This script is really awesome and simple to use :)
Edited by FrankyBB

Glad to hear you got things working XD, by default the script should already be set to make the journal appear on the menu screen. But if in case you have any other scripts conflicting with that feature, you can always use the journal scene script call below:

SceneManager.call(Scene_Journal)

Great Script..!!

this is easier than the other Scripts =D

sure gonna check this now !!!

other script take much time to add each quest but this one is the easiest i ever seen yet...

edit the journal from the database of item is easier...

thanks again =D

Great script man. Simple but good.

One question. You mentioned making a "duplicate" item for dynamic descriptions. How exactly would that work?

I want it so there's a small description and then objectives but I want the objectives to update as the quest goes on.

Well done again

thanks

*Actually I figured it out. I just made two of the same quest but the second had more objectives then i removed the first and added the second to the inventory. Works a charm.*

The scene looks fab btw. Awesome script keep it up

Edited by tsunnychung

Hi great script btw very useful. One bug though. I downloaded a bunch of other scripts like a battle script and so on and then all of this script stopeed working. The quests DID come up as an item and I had to use another script in order for the menu button to appear, despite the fact that the menu display was set to true

Any help?  :(

Ahah! I fixed it by redownloading.. thnx to all who helped

Edited by tsunnychung

The only easy we can help you is if we know what scripts you are using exactly but from what I understand you did not put them in a good order or you put some incompatible scripts together.

whoa! Nice Script man! :lol:

is there a way to showing up the 'quest item' in the item menus? thanks

sorry for my bad english :)

Well you're in luck cause this newest version includes word wrapping for the quest descriptions.

http://www.crimson-castle.co.uk/rpgmakerscripts/ItemBasedJournalV2-0.txt

Also for goliam, I've included the options to allow quest items to appear in the item menu under the category of Quests. Admittedly this feature is rather primitive since it won't show any information you give to the quests for use with the item scene.

Edited by Shadowmaster9000

Wow you are awesome. It works very well, thanks!

Edit:

Does this version also parse the commands for actor names like \n[1]?

Edited by zSprawl

Wow you are awesome. It works very well, thanks!

Edit:

Does this version also parse the commands for actor names like \n[1]?

Version 3.0 does now which I've just uploaded.

Version 3.0: http://www.crimson-castle.co.uk/rpgmakerscripts/ItemBasedJournalV3-0.txt

Apologies for the over year late reply and update. ;>____> XD

For everyone else, here's the list of added features and fixes in this latest update:

• Icons set for items with quest data will now show up in the Journal listings. You can also set Journal categories to display an icon.
  • Journal categories can now be color coded, and this will apply for all quest items that fall under those categories.
  • You can now modify the font size and color of the quest item's title using new notetags.
  • You can now set a quest item to display an image on its page in the Journal using a new notetag. This picture can be displayed below the title and above everything else or below everything else.
  • The control character for adding line breaks in the notetags has now been replaced with \L. This means \N[x] can now be used to display actor names.
  • You can even now add control characters for the strings that allow you to change the names of the attributes used in the Journal.
  • New script calls are available that allow you to change almost all kinds of quest related data for an item and have the effects saved. This means you no longer have to make multiple items for the same quest, but the option is still there for anyone not fond of using script calls.

Hey shadow Im having a bit of trouble with adding quests. During a test play its added the first 3 alright but once im up to the fourth quest it will not add it unless I use a script call to activate it. After that it adds the the quest without the name, description, client etc. I dont really want to use another quest journal script because im actually loving this one, except for this issue.

The scripts I am using are:

- Theo's Antilag

- YANFLY - Core Engine

- YANFLY - Battle System

- YANFLY - Battle Menu

- YANFLY - Battle Log

- YANFLY - Message system

- YANFLY - Random Skill

- YANFLY - Party system

- VLUE - Pets

- GALV - Custom Menu

- Item based Quest Journal