amerk

Night of the Living Noobyas

Night of the Living Noobyas

gallery_60574_553_16972.png

Abstract: Since the beginning, RM communities have been forced to coexist with noobs. Now with the threat of an evil noob threatening the very existence of such forums, a band of hapless and witless heroes will rise to the challenge to bring him down... or get banned trying.
Genre: Comedy RPG
Engine: RPG Maker VX
Game Progression: Completed / Going through final Beta Testing
Average Game Time: Projected to be at around 8 hours.

A Quick Note 12/10/14:
This game was originally made with RPG RPG Revolution (RRR) in mind, but now both RRR and VX.net are gone, no thanks to iEntry. However, I think there are a lot of commonalities between the various RM sites, and many members will recognize members from other sites, that a lot of the humor can be applied across the board. It attempts to take jabs at some of the staff I've grown acquainted with, the communities we've all been a part of, politics, life circumstances, and noobs and rpg's in general.

For those who have played it before, there hasn't been a whole lot of updates outside of some minor improvements. I've also included an RTP version along with the non RTP version now. For those who haven't played it, I can't bank on whether the comedy will agree with you or not, since comedy is very subjective, but I encourage you to at least try the game out and let me know what you think (even if you can't stomach it enough to play through).

It's the only game (so far) I've made, but here's hoping to have at least one more in the next year or two. So if you have any feedback, please feel free to share it.

DOWNLOAD:
You can choose to download the RTP version if you'd like. If you prefer the non RTP version, you need to have the VX RTP installed first (if you don't have it) - Make sure to click the VX RTP:
RMVX RTP Download

The download for both versions (RTP and non RTP) can be found here:
Night of the Living Noobyas (12/10/14)

There is full documentation included (Excel and Word) for Character Profile/Enemy Stats, a couple of very crude maps, and a full walkthrough, if needed.

STORY:

After Jonnie19 gives Nooblie Nooberson a bad gaming review, Nooblie vows revenge on the entire Triple R staff. With his Noobula Virus in hand, Nooblie plans to create an army of noobs in order to fill the community with stupid people.

Now by some sheer amount of dumb luck, X-M-O, Jonnie19, and AMerk are forced from the comfort of their tree house home in order to tread the boundaries of Shitty Island, in the vain hope that they can pwn Nooblie once and for all.

But is Nooblie’s thirst for revenge his own doing? Or is it the work of an even greater noob?

Join our hapless heroes as they race against illogical time, face idiotic foes, sort through random plot threads, and try to find answers to some of the tougher questions that have plagued wise men throughout the ages, such as:

Where did noobs originate from?
What really happens in a healing bed?
And what is the Final Fantasy paradox?

CHARACTERS:

AMerk: Gullible and naive, this happy-go-lucky junkie is as loyal as a dumb dog, but as vicious as an Easter Bunny on steroids when put to the test. While he means well, his heroics (and lack thereof) usually results in mayhem for the rest of the group.

Jonnie19: Sarcastic and witty, though he may be, Jonnie’s skill with the lighter arts of healing will keep this team of misfits well and healthy for another day. Just don’t send him to a healing bed afterwards, or he will have your head.

X-M-O: There’s a lot of things X-M-O would rather do than be dragged around an island with AMerk. But his trip to Hawaii for a much-needed vacation will now have to wait, no thanks to the growing evil that is Nooblie Nooberson and the threat of being banned from his beloved community.

Sparrowsmith: No one knows what the bird knows! This mysterious traveler holds the secrets to some of life’s greatest mysteries; unfortunately, very few of those secrets will have any real value in their quest against noobs.

Nooblie Nooberson: The villains always get a last name! And with a name like his, you can see why. Pissed off at the world, and at RM communities especially, Nooblie is the mastermind behind the goings on around the island. Or is he?

CREDITS:

A full list of credits will be found in documents provided with the game, as well as included at the end of the game as well. However, here is a list of the major contributors (outside of Enterbrain and Degica):

Tilesets:
First Seed Material (MACK/REFMAP)
Therapie
Titanhex
Famitsu / Tsukuru / Joy

Sprites:
Penguin
Avadan
grafikal
GrandmaDeb
MapleStory / Wizet
PinedaVX
The Welsh Paddy
Weem (aka Raith)

Battlers:
MapleStory / Wizet
Qut
Jens of Zanicuud

Audio:
Short Story
Video Game Music Archive
Reone662 / Maoudamasil
Theodoric
Music Machina
Sir Connor Anderson
Pure Pwnage

Scripts / Software:
Damian666 – for his CharCreator
BulletXT – for SwapXT
Yanfly – Y6 Core Engine; YERD Battle Display
Anaryu – AS: Antilag
EXP Fix – ZeroManArmy
KGC / Mr. Bubble – Forced Victory Stop
TDS – ToP Menu
BigEd – Level Up Display; Auto Start Option
Solstic – File Window
DiamondandPlatinum3 (DP3) – Pong

rpgrevolution.com
rpgmakervxace.com
sbester – beta testing
MrE, ZeroManArmy, Nate Benton, Benko, and Kelsper – tutorials

SCREENSHOTS:

Various Scenes:

Search everywhere! You never know when you’ll find something clever… or cleverly stupid.
gallery_60574_553_126575.png

The plot!
gallery_60574_553_45998.png

This question gets asked of AMerk quite a bit. Unfortunately, the answers he gives are true. I've been dropped on my head (once while playing football), I've been hit in the head with a hammer (by accident, of course), and I've inhaled helium to the point of passing out (I was trying to get a chipmunk voice and it didn't quite work out as well as planned).
gallery_60574_553_111790.png

And you’re still a bit small.
gallery_60574_553_91571.png

Nooblie’s Game:

The worst fan game ever made in the history of RM! Okay, so maybe fan games aren't always this bad.
gallery_60574_553_211147.png

See? Jonnie even agrees.
gallery_60574_553_90212.png

Game Play and Mechanics:

A taste for battle.
gallery_60574_553_8210.png

X-M-O shows off his merchandise. Now that RRR is no longer around, I'm sure other Admins can make use of the Staff Beater!
gallery_60574_553_316191.png

Pac-Man's Nightmare! I couldn't get Pac-Man to work as well as I wanted, so I came up with this... and I wasn't even on drugs.
gallery_60574_553_27257.png

FEATURES:

Uh, well – visible encounters, minimal grinding, lots of side quests (for loot, dungeons, and monsters), mini-games (do they count even when they are required to play?).

OPEN SOURCE – WHAT DOES THAT MEAN FOR YOU?

The game is open source. What that means for you, as a VX owner, is that you have access to pull up my game in the editor and study all of my flaws. If you wish to view my maps, however, you will need to check out the credits spreadsheet to see which swaps go with which maps and apply them through SwapXT. I won’t take the time to explain how to use SwapXT, though, since there are already plenty of tutorials available on its use.

KNOWN ISSUES (NOTHING GAME BREAKING, JUST MINOR NUISANCES):

• The script for the Pong game doesn’t track variables outside of the mini-game, so it doesn’t matter if you win or lose.
  • The swap in tilesets between the Default and Spooky Crypt gets a bit wonky, for some reason. It doesn’t impact the game in anyway, though. It just makes it so that one moment a stool might be passable, and then in another area not passable, or little trival things like that.
  • Using Yanfly’s script, the quantity of items has a box and a squiggly line next to the quantity. I haven’t discovered the fix as of yet.
  • TDS’s ToP Menu is a tad off-center. Now fixed.

DISCLAIMERS, COMMENTS, NOTES, AND WHATEVER ELSE:

• This game was made in good faith against some of the staff (and members) I’ve worked with in the past. It is not meant as an insult of any sort against their true character.
  • The game features crude references, some political satire, and brief instances of profanity, but nothing R-rated. In fact, I’d rate this game PG-13, if I cared enough to.
  • There is a bit of gender confusion, especially with kaz and X-M-O’s character, whom I thought were guys when I initially started the game. X-M-O (wherever she may now be) thought it would be funny to see her character portrayed as a guy, and so I left them as is. I have to admit, knowing them as ladies and creating/playing them as guys was quite entertaining.
  • AMerk (meaning me, and not the game character) is not a junkie, nor has he ever been associated with drugs before, although he is a bit addicted to caffeine. Nor does he endorse the use of drugs, except maybe caffeine.
  • No noobs or staff members were hurt (too much) in the creation of this game.
  • The stunts that you see performed in this game are done so by non-professionals. You should not attempt these stunts yourself… except maybe in the privacy of your own home when nobody is watching.

PREVIOUS UPDATES:

Based on feedback received from a recent review, I went ahead and made some necessary fixes to the overall difficulty in the combat.

Most enemies have an increase drop in EXP and Gold of about 1.25 to 1.50 times the previous rate, which should hopefully reduce the need to grind while also making your characters a bit more powerful against some of the monsters and bosses.

In addition to that, enemy agility has been lowered quite a bit, which should allow for your characters a better chance in attacking first. I also went ahead and reduced the rate of some of the attack patterns so enemies don't spam certain attacks at any given time.

Finally, the enemies in the optional dungeon "Mushroom Road" now drop EXP and gold as well, whereas previously they only dropped items.

Hopefully these changes will make the gameplay a bit easier to digest.

Note, the walkthrough and profiles still included with the game file (as word doc and excel sheets) still retain the old stat/exp/gold drops of the enemy. I didn't bother updating these as I didn't feel there was much need for it, since the overall strategies still work if you're in a slump, and it would take too long to update that information.

This looks very interesting. Looks like it will be a good laugh and a chance to learn about some of the mods/admin as I'm sure everything in the game will be exactly as they are in real life :P

While I was going to make comment about some of the screenshots, I think they are how they are on purpose so I will hold any criticism on those until I've had a go.

Mini games always count. I love mini games within games. Looking forward to it.

You know I'll be playing this one, looks very intriguing. I'll be able to find out more about your guys back-stories before randomly becoming the staff of these forums, well, if it's accurate at least a little bit, :P

This might have just inspired me to create a game like this for these forums, lol

Thanks all! The Nooblie's Game maps are done that way on purpose. The other maps could definitely use some feedback. I don't believe I'll be fixing any maps for this game, unless there are any issues, but I need the input for future games. You'll also see that I progressed as I went along, where some mapping got better the more I improved, as I learned some tricks late in production.

I personally don't think they are bad by any means, and in some case fairly decent, but far from the glamor I've seen from other developers.

It's still being adjusted in terms of balance. Somebody tested the game and felt it was too grindy. While they typically don't care for EXP drops from enemies, I had to agree. As much as I hate heavy grind myself, it's easy to be a pro at your own game and forget others won't have as easy of a time.

So I've made the game a bit easier in that you can gain levels pretty quick by fighting most enemies once, but if you want to grind and revisit respawns to overpower yourself, you can to. That way there's a happy medium between those who just want to run through the game, and those who still want some enemies to be a challenge without the proper attack.

Edit: An example would be Jonnie's room (first map). When I made it, I thought I did a heck of a job. But after hearing another person comment about space on a tile (that each tile could be considered about 3 feet on any side (9 feet squared), it gave me a sort of scale I never thought about, and can hopefully help with space issues in later projects.

Edit #2: Obrusnine, the game is open source. I didn't state as much in the topic to avoid confusion and hassle, but if people want to make sequels out of this, they are free to do so and can use my maps for the base of their own projects (with credit for whatever resources are being used). I don't think I will be creating another comedy after this, but I was hoping it would inspire more community-driven games (even solo projects) that use members and staff of the communities.

Again, thanks all for the feedback.

And Edit number 3 (stupid dl posting rules. )    :)

Jonnie and I used to be under X-M-O's command as reviewing staff back before we were mods/Admins, etc. And "she'd" often assign us a review. And some of those reviews were from lousy sucky games. So that and the combination that Penguin created a few sprites for the staffs to start out, helped me to think up this game.

I don't have VX on my computer anymore so I could actually care less if it's open-source, lol

I didn't even ask... xD

Still, I can't wait to see it because it looks very funny.

One of my testers pointed out how heavy on the grind it felt.

Personally, I thought it was fairly well balanced, but I failed to take into consideration the one thing I'm always critiquing on, and that is that the game developer is usually a master of his own creation. I knew all the secrets, shortcuts, and strategies, so naturally I felt the game was well balanced, but understanding the nature of the standard player, on top of the declining interest in level grinding, I've gone back to make adjustments.

The end result is a game that starts off fairly balanced, gets a bit challenging around the middle, but can ultimately end rather easy (especially if you complete some of the side quests and power up your characters). I could go back and make the final area much more difficult, but I decided against it for the simple reason that it's a comedy, and the focus of the game is more on the story and its humor, and to interrupt that flow anymore than it is would not be a good idea.

Essentially, you can breeze through the game and do the minimum number of things, fight just enough enemies to have a challenge with the boss fights, and still win, or you can take your time, do a bit of level grinding (although not much is required), take on the side quests, and be able to power your way through some of the later areas.

The 8 hours I've estimated (down from the 10-12 before) assumes that you take your time, explore everywhere, and complete all the side quests.

Because AMerk took the dumb happy go lucky warrior, and XMO thinks "he" is a bad-ass magician (although his defense sort of sucks). And ironically, you're character hates healing beds, but has no problem healing the party.

Best to be patient and see if there are any undermining issues that can be fixed and released once than to have occuring problems that need multiple updates.

I don't anticipate the testing taking that much time. I'll include both a non-RTP as well as an RTP version; however I will encourage downloading the RTP yourself (if you don't have it) and using the non-RTP version, because the RTP one takes way too long to dl, and even longer to extract, and adds on about an extra 40 MB.

Better late than never, I say! But the game has finally been finalized for completion. You will want the RMVX RTP (if you don't have it), which can be downloaded from here - just make sure it's for VX:

RMVX RTP Download

And here is the download to the actual game:

NotLN Download - Version 1.0 (4/11/13)

There is full documentation included (Excel and Word) for Character Profile/Enemy Stats, a couple of very crude maps, and a full walkthrough, if needed.

This sounds like it would be fun. And, I noticed I got credited in this! I honestly never thought any of my sprites would be put to use in a finished project.  :lol:

Edited by The Welsh Paddy

Grats on finishing your game! I'll have to try it sometime.

If you're up to it, even an unbiased review. I need to know what I've done right and wrong. :)

This sounds like it would be fun. And, I noticed I got credited in this! I honestly never thought any of my sprites would be put to use in a finished project.  :lol:

The two sprites I know I used from you were the ghost and purple monster ones, since they also worked with Jens battlers. Things do clash a bit (especially the battlers), but a lot of that was intentional, considering the theme behind the game. Honestly, though, you have some nice monster sprites. You should consider doing more. Jens pumpkin bat battlers definitely could use one.

Hmm. I think I may just do that. :D I'll have to go take a look at these battlers. As for this game, I've got plenty of free time this weekend so I will definitely give this one a go and post my thoughts.

This deserves a try... I bet I'm gonna be laughing. (In a good way, of course)

I've not forgotten your request to do a LP of this, however I just finished two comedic RPGMaker game LP's and would look into more variety before dwelving into more lmao territory. I'll do it after this short game (Umbra) since this is quite lengthy. 

Bumping with an update:

Based on feedback received from a recent review, I went ahead and made some necessary fixes to the overall difficulty in the combat.

Most enemies have an increase drop in EXP and Gold of about 1.25 to 1.50 times the previous rate, which should hopefully reduce the need to grind while also making your characters a bit more powerful against some of the monsters and bosses.

In addition to that, enemy agility has been lowered quite a bit, which should allow for your characters a better chance in attacking first. I also went ahead and reduced the rate of some of the attack patterns so enemies don't spam certain attacks at any given time.

Finally, the enemies in the optional dungeon "Mushroom Road" now drop EXP and gold as well, whereas previously they only dropped items.

Hopefully these changes will make the gameplay a bit easier to digest.

Note, the walkthrough and profiles still included with the game file (as word doc and excel sheets) still retain the old stat/exp/gold drops of the enemy. I didn't bother updating these as I didn't feel there was much need for it, since the overall strategies still work if you're in a slump, and it would take too long to update that information.

The new link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/q5hhwqokhqvrwh7/Night+of+the+Living+Noobyas.exe