Wren

Your most wanted update or DLC for RPG MAKER VX ACE

Probably won't happen, since I've never seen Enterbrain change anything after a rpg maker is released, but if you could wish it into happening, what would be your list?

Here is mine:

1. Added options to the character generator, especially eyes and mouths for both genders but definitely females.
  2. More BGM and ME, possibly those from past RM versions.
  3. Hue slider for all graphics (might be useful...)
  4. Built in front or side view battle system (why haven't they gotten the hint when every version since the first one has had people script up both kinds of battle systems?)
  5. Crafting database, where you can simply use drop down menus to make crafting strings and combinations using items from your item database: iron -> sword, 2 swords + chain -> sword chucks (nun chucks made with swords)
  6. Warm cookie dispenser so when you are feeling down, rpgmaker produces a warm, gooey cookie out of your cd/dvd/blueray drive

Well, they don't generally release updates or add-ons for RPG Maker (at least as far as I know) beyond resource packs, so you aren't likely to see any of this. They generally rely on the community to expand creator's options. I just wish they would give us more freedom to change around the editor itself, as there is currently very little you can mess around with there.

Unfortunately though it looks like we're gonna have to wait for the next RPG Maker before we get any improvements, :(

Well, they don't generally release updates or add-ons for RPG Maker (at least as far as I know) beyond resource packs, so you aren't likely to see any of this. They generally rely on the community to expand creator's options. I just wish they would give us more freedom to change around the editor itself, as there is currently very little you can mess around with there.

Unfortunately though it looks like we're gonna have to wait for the next RPG Maker before we get any improvements, :(

I know this already, but if you could pick out 1 or a few things, what would they be?

I think it would be awesome if they created a western style sprite set. After my first project is complete, I would like to make one set in the early 1800's. I'm not very good at creating sprites, so it would be helpful to me if they did this. I could at least frankensprite to create some original looking pieces. Or even if they added a few western hats and outfits to the character generator then I would be happy.

I think it would be awesome if they created a western style sprite set. After my first project is complete, I would like to make one set in the early 1800's. I'm not very good at creating sprites, so it would be helpful to me if they did this. I could at least frankensprite to create some original looking pieces. Or even if they added a few western hats and outfits to the character generator then I would be happy.

Oh, wow for 80% of your post I thought you mean western as in western hemisphere as opposed to Japanese.  I was about to suggest the high fantasy pack that was just released, but then you said hats and outfits and now I understand you mean like six shooters and cowboys.

Yeah, that would be cool.

I dunno, if this was about VX, then my list would be a mile long because that program was lacking. But, I really like VX Ace aside from a few nitpicky issues that are more of a personal hang up than anything else.

I'd say side view battle system just because it hasn't been in place since RM2k3, but I feel like the community scripters make better ones than Enterbrain would create anyway.

How about a character generator for monsters sprites and faces like the one existing for humanoids?

Or does it exist in a similar fashion already in a script? Let me know please...

Sure would use one as I dislike the appearance of sudden monsters in a game...

Owll

How about a character generator for monsters sprites and faces like the one existing for humanoids?

Or does it exist in a similar fashion already in a script? Let me know please...

Sure would use one as I dislike the appearance of sudden monsters in a game...

Owll

That is an excellent idea.

1. There are already plenty of resources from other RMers to make this possible.

Why? There's no shame in originality.

Might be, but most of the original graphics that require a slider are generally the ONLY graphics that require a slider (i.e., tinting).

I forget...what's the idea of a corporation again?

Again, a script can do this with little effort.

This is the only thing I really approve of.

2. More BGM and ME, possibly those from past RM versions.

Nothing prevents you to use the RTP audio from previous versions. Also, you might be interested in knowing that a remastered RM 95 soundtrack is on sale now.

4. Built in front or side view battle system (why haven't they gotten the hint when every version since the first one has had people script up both kinds of battle systems?) 

There are three reasons why you'll never see a side-view system by default ever again. First is, front-view is actually popular, especially in Japan, which is the program's main target audience.

Second reason is the ease of modification. The default battle system is very bare-bones, hardly more than a text-based battle with minimal visual elements. It's because of this simplicity you can see so many different battle systems made by scripters. It's much easier to add options than remove unneeded junk and the more complex the built-in systems are, the more unneeded junk you'll find.

Third reason is a matter of graphical resources. Side-view is very sprite-intensive. It's easy to find one static front view battler and put it in a game. It's much more complicated to sprite a complete animation sheet for side view and definitely beyond the majority of user's abilities. Licensing a bunch of side view sprites would also cost much more to Enterbrain.

Now, you might say "just use charsets and static enemies". Well, no. There's such a thing as consistency, and the "easy way" is definitely not something to put in the core engine.

5. Crafting database, where you can simply use drop down menus to make crafting strings and combinations using items from your item database: iron -> sword, 2 swords + chain -> sword chucks (nun chucks made with swords)

RPG Maker, by default, has the goal to provide the basics of a RPG. A crafting system isn't something to be considered 'basic' and there are many possible interpretations of what a crafting system should be. This is the kind of system users will make scripts for anyways, so it's useless to include it.

tl;dr Eb! provides you an engine with the basic RPG elements. Making the game unique and sophisticated is the developer's job. YOUR job.

Maybe if EB allowed us to extend the editor ourselves...LOL but then they'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

More note-boxes I guess. Especially in troops and events.

Edited by Tsukihime

-snip-

-snip-

I think both of you missed the first line where I said it was a personal wish that I never expected to be fulfilled, but I'm so glad you took it upon yourselves to miss the spirit of the post completely and criticize only my post.  You didn't even offer anything for a suggestion so I can only assume you are completely happy with rpvxace and will never need another development studio ever again.

Well, he means that then we'd never need a new version of RPG Maker if we could expand to it have all the functionality we want.

Not true, most people probably wouldn't know how to expand the editor that easily, and Enterbrain can do it better. They could even just release one new editor, and then proceed to expand it's abilities via add-ons.

They could make significantly more money (I would think) and I wouldn't have to upgrade every few years (which would be a huge plus).

1. There are already plenty of resources from other RMers to make this possible.
  2. Why? There's no shame in originality.
  3. Might be, but most of the original graphics that require a slider are generally the ONLY graphics that require a slider (i.e., tinting).
  4. I forget...what's the idea of a corporation again?
  5. Again, a script can do this with little effort.
  6. This is the only thing I really approve of.

Wow, that's all kind of negative and argumentative, lol.

I think your ideas and great. Everyone likes options. In response the the quoted person above... having a program with additional built-in functionality makes a program more robust and attractive to more people. If I owned the company I would listen to my customers feedback and implement key ideas. Also, even though they could/would include these things does not prevent us from still using scripts. ;)

-snip-

-snip-

I think both of you missed the first line where I said it was a personal wish that I never expected to be fulfilled, but I'm so glad you took it upon yourselves to miss the spirit of the post completely and criticize only my post.  You didn't even offer anything for a suggestion so I can only assume you are completely happy with rpvxace and will never need another development studio ever again.

Yep. Love you, too. :D

2. Why? There's no shame in originality.
  3. Might be, but most of the original graphics that require a slider are generally the ONLY graphics that require a slider (i.e., tinting).
  4. I forget...what's the idea of a corporation again?
  5. Again, a script can do this with little effort.
  6. This is the only thing I really approve of.

Wow, that's all kind of negative and argumentative, lol.

I think your ideas and great. Everyone likes options. In response the the quoted person above... having a program with additional built-in functionality makes a program more robust and attractive to more people. If I owned the company I would listen to my customers feedback and implement key ideas. Also, even though they could/would include these things does not prevent us from still using scripts. ;)

Let me pick apart my own argument here and start saying that, while I don't particularly mind recycled soundtracks, having original sound is definitely the better way to go, simply because I'm one of those people that doesn't like hearing the same music in a different game twice.

Resources by other people are made to enrich the experience of the program engine in question. If EB! made more resources, they would be making more money, but I don't see them as the money-gloating sort. Same with scripts. And I think that it's great that if you were the head of a company that you would listen to your customers' feedback, because usually most companies don't.

Truth.

Well, he means that then we'd never need a new version of RPG Maker if we could expand to it have all the functionality we want.

Not true, most people probably wouldn't know how to expand the editor that easily, and Enterbrain can do it better. They could even just release one new editor, and then proceed to expand it's abilities via add-ons.

They could make significantly more money (I would think) and I wouldn't have to upgrade every few years (which would be a huge plus).

Most people probably don't know how to write good stories, or write scripts, or make sprites, or compose music. But that hasn't become an issue.

Whether EB can do it "better" or not is a valid point, but then again some people have plenty of experience and plenty of ideas and can probably do it just as well.

The main difference between what EB develops and what we would develop is that our target audience is considerably smaller.

Edited by Tsukihime

I agree making some sort of modular game design studio would be awesome.

I'd buy it and all available add-ons/plugins so I could make all types of games, but others could buy the core and ABS or SBS or whatever they usually build.

If there was a way to update the ruby that the studio uses to newer versions, that would also be cool.