12428323104_7781a5f856_o.png

Introduction

Legionwood 2: Rise of the Eternal's Realm is an epic length traditional role playing game created in RPG Maker VX Ace and a direct sequel to the much loved Legionwood: Tale of the Two Swords. It is the first installment in the epic Legionwood 2 saga.

Legionwood 2 features a 12+ hour quest that takes place in the sprawling empire of Trevelle, filled with puzzles, challenging enemies and tons of adventures. The new class and sub-class system allows you to customise your characters to a high degree with over 80 different class combinations available.

Story Outline

Legionwood 2's story follows on from where Legionwood: Tale of the Two Swords left off. It has been nearly three hundred years since Castoth was banished from the realm and the world has been at peace. However, it seems now that this peace is about to come to an end. Barbarians from the western land of Entoban have invaded the empire of Trevelle, occupying two major cities near the western border. Lionel Morton, a guard in the Imperial Capital, has transfered to a battalion assigned to retaking the captured towns. Tonight, they move to liberate the city of Corinthe, where Lionel's lover Clara waits, alone and in danger.

Several other things of note have been happening in Trevelle of late: monster attacks seem to be on the increase for some unknown reason and trade with Charn in the north has mysteriously stopped without notice. Can these things be connected with the war that is seemingly about to engulf the Empire?

Game Features

- An epic length quest with 12+ hours of gameplay and lots of optional side quests.
- An interesting storyline about love, revenge, political intrigue and forgotten secrets with 6 fully developed protagonists.
- Tense Condition Turn Battle (CTB) inspired by Final Fantasy X featuring challenging foes who react intelligently.
- Intuitive class system for a high level of character customisation. Your Main Class determines your stat values, usable equipment and Tech category, but you can also equip a Sub Class, which grants you access to an addition category of Techs. Over 80 combinations are possible!

- Non-linear gameplay that changes depending on your choices. You can't encounter everything in a single playthrough!

- Play with mouse, joypad or keyboard.

Screenshots

l2a.png

l2e.png

shot2b.png

11903410404_889b5a06c7_o.png

l2b.png

l2c.png

l2f.png

Purchase/Download

You can buy Legionwood 2 for $5.99 or download the free demo from here.

Credits

(full credit list available in game)

Scripts

Modern Algebra, Yanfly, DiamondandPlatinum, Shaz, BigAce, Craze

Graphics
Enterbrain/Degica, Mack, Lunarea

Audio
Enterbrain/Degica, Kain Vinosec, Symphonic Storms, Intelligentsia

Edited by Dark Gaia

Looks really interesting, haven't played the original but I'll give it a try. Although I do have some suggestions for the phrasing of your post.

"However, it seems that peace was short lived." 300 years seems like quite a lengthy time of peace, actually.

"Epic length quest with 15+ hours of gameplay." 15 Hours isn't an epic length for RPGs, (Persona 3 took about 100 hours to beat, sure it's a pro game. But still.) Although 15 hours is still a nice chunk of gameplay compared to non-RPG games averaging around 6-12 hours.

Those are just some nitpicking details I wanted to share. Although the rest of your presentation looks great. Your map layouts are good; menus, battlers, systems, etc. look great. I'm interested to see how this turns out.

Thanks for the comments. I'll actually change that "short lived" phrase. I'll admit it's confusing, but it was referring to a context established by the first game. Essentially, in the first game, it is predicted that after the antogonist is banished, there will be thousands of years of peace. In this sense, the peace was short lived in that it only lasted three centuries.

Also, while I know "epic length" in an RPG is upwards of 100+ hours, 15+ hours is considerably "epic length" for an RPG Maker game. In the old days of the community, pretty much any game that went over 10 hours in length was referred to as "epic length".

Anyway, I appreciate your feedback and I'm glad you're eagerly awaiting the game. Go check out the first one if you want to be fully prepared (though it isn't completely neccesary) and I'm sure you'll enjoy it - it's established enough that it has its own wikipedia article.

Hi everyone! Just thought I'd pop in with a little progress report I prepared a few days ago, just to let you know that work is going smoothly on Legionwood 2 and that a release is on the cards very soon.

Sunday, February 26th, 2012

I'm pleased to announce that work on Legionwood 2 is going very smoothly. So far I've clocked about three weeks of solid work on the game, and if work continues at this rate, I should estimate the first playable release to be out before April.

Two months seems to be a long time to wait for a demo, but, much like Legionwood 1, I'll be releasing the chapters for this game one by one. The game will have four chapters, and each playable release will add a new completed chapter. You'll be able to transfer save files across releases to keep playing your game. This means that the first Legionwood 2 release will contain the entirety of Chapter One: Emergent Enemies, which all up is about 3 hours of gameplay. That's a long demo!

Rather than releasing a short tech demo this week that doesn't really satisfy anyone or give a real taste of the game, I'm deliberately taking my time so that the first demo release contains quite a lot of content to make it actually worth playing while you wait for the next release.

Chapter One: Emergent Enemies allows you to play with five of the game's classes, unlock the first two tiers of Techs and take on 28 different monsters. It will contain two towns (Corinthe and Ironrim) and four dungeons (Hunter's Cave, Elder Forest, Ironrim Mines and The Necropolis) of which one town (Corinthe) and two dungeons (Hunter's Cave and Elder Forest) are complete at this stage in development.

Stay tuned!

P.S Let me take this opportunity to ask what you as prospective players of Legionwood 2 want to see from the game. I'm committed to making Legionwood 2 a much better experience than the first game and if there's something you'd like me to implement or any suggestions you'd like to give, the floor is open!

The download doesn't include a link, it would seem. Did I miss it somewhere?

Nevermind, I saw Download in bold and underlined, and thought it was out. I failed to look further down and note the word "soon". I deserve a facepalm!

Edited by amerk

Don't worry, amerk! There's not long to go now! Which brings me to...

Thursday, March 1st, 2012

Legionwood 2 needs testers!

The first playable release of Legionwood 2: Rise of the Eternal's Realm, containing the entirety of the first chapter, is only a few weeks from wrapping up. To help make the game a more enjoyable experience for everyone, I'm going to initiate a closed beta testing period prior to the game's release. If you would like to be a beta tester, please send me a personal message expressing your interest.

Beta testers will receive the release on March 25th, two weeks earlier than the general release. Two weeks will be given for beta testers to play the release and provide feedback, which will be implemented in the release to the general public.

So, who wants to play Legionwood 2 early?

I'll be happy to test your game, Dark Gaia. I'd like to help in this project since the first game was pretty interesting.

I'm especially interested in how will the implementation of the Battle System be, as I've seen other games trying it to rather lackluster results. ;)

You can count me in for the Beta testing phase.

Sunday, March 18th, 2012

The release of Beta Build 1.1 is iminent!

Hi everyone.

Just informing you that progress on Legionwood 2 has been very steady throughout this month. I've managed to fully complete all areas up to the final dungeon of Chapter One and once it is finished, the first installment of the game will be ready for testing.

Before passing the game onto the beta testers, I'll play one or two runthroughs myself to ensure that the basic mechanics are in place, and then I'll be sending download links to those who registered as testers. Beta testers will receive download links via PM sometime within the next two weeks and then full public release will follow shortly after.

Stay tuned!

Thursday, March 29th, 2012

Hey everyone!

Unfortunately, progress on Legionwood 2 has been extremely slow lately. I had intended to have the first instalment of the game out to beta testers by the end of March and publically released early in April, but I might not be able to do that at the moment.

University assignments and writing commitments seem to really be piling up over these last few weeks, and since halfway through March, I've been so busy getting it all done (I'm a journalism major, and that means hunting down sources, conducting interviews etc) that I haven't really been able to put the finishing touches on Legionwood 2 that I've been wanting to.

The first instalment is so close to being finished now; I've finished mapping the last town of the chapter and I just have to do the last dungeon and cutscenes, but that, as well as basic testing, will still require a good week or so of uninterrupted work before I can get the game out into the world.

I probably won't be able to do these last few things until a week or two into April at least, when my first round of assignments will have been attended to (and I'll be on break for Easter) so I'm hoping I'll be able to release the game then or at least get it close to release, before the next wave of assignments shows up before May.

Since I've missed my nominated deadline for release so badly, I'll be skipping the two week beta testing period; once the first chapter of the game is done, myself and some of my friends will test it ourselves and then I'll release it for the public to enjoy.

My apologies, and please stay tuned!

Saturday, 21st of April, 2012

It's finally out!

The first ever public release of Legionwood 2 (Beta Build 1.1) is now available for download. This release contains the entire first chapter of the game, which represents roughly 3-4 hours of gameplay time, with 4 dungeons, 2 towns and 5 bosses.

This release has been tested and as far as I can tell, all bugs have been ironed out, though balancing and difficulty issues may be present. There are also some small bugs that occur as a result of this being made in the Japanese VX Ace (namely that random squares appear in battle text and in the status screen) though these will likely be fixed when I port the project over to the English version.

I finished the first Legionwood earlier today and was excited when I found out the demo for this one was already released. My impressions were mostly favorable until the first boss battle with the ogre, which is where I found my biggest problem with this game. Here are the notes I wrote down as I was playing.

- The introduction scrolling text scrolls way too fast. I managed to read it all, but I like to take my time and concentrate on what I'm reading. A slight reduction in speed is all I ask.

- The random line breaks in text can be annoying. Its format reminds me of an essay, and "essay" should never be a word used to describe a video game.

- When you first meet Felix and enter the town with him, there's an extra "you" in the message. No other spelling or grammar errors stuck out other than this one.

- I enjoy the organized inventory. It's a huge upgrade over the first Legionwood. Another cool improvement is the text displaying what items you've received after opening a chest. I hated Legionwood's pop-up text that always had a wait command between each item and was sloppy in general.

- When activating an event that displays a message while dashing with the shift button, the message will advance automatically. I'm not sure if this is a VX Ace issue or a game issue, but either way, it is minor since I enabled the auto dash option after experiencing this and that solved the problem.

- When you transfer to another map, most of the time you'll appear on the square that transfers you back instead of one beside it. This was the same with the first Legionwood. It is annoying when you accidentally enter the wrong place.

- Maybe you could add a journal key item that gives you a review of your current objective. In the first Legionwood, I forgot where to go a few times.

- The blacksmiths are still redundant, just as they were in the first Legionwood. They ask if you want something with a yes/no option, then ask to browse for weapons, armor or cancel. The first yes/no option should be removed since you can always hit cancel at the weapons or armor option.

- The first major issue I have is the lack of information when browsing equipment. Currently, it only shows changes in damage or defense but not in stats like intellect or avoid. Luckily, there's an easy solution. Since you are already using Yanfly's battle system, you might as well use his shop script, too. It's called "Ace Shop Options", and it displays all stat improvements for weapons and armor.

- At the blacksmith shop in Corinthe, you can walk through the walls at the entrance, and move along the exterior of the room. Should be an easy fix.

- I like how techs are in item form now. Making them portable makes it easier to teach new members techs without having to backtrack. I'm guessing that also means you can find techs throughout the game in chests and other locations, too.

- When you talk to the senator after Corinthe is saved, Felix makes a comment along the lines of "Hello, Earth to idiot". I'm no expert on the original Legionwood, having only beaten it once, but isn't the planet that hosts Legionwood called something else? Obviously the context wouldn't make much sense if there is no Earth. I remember a conversation in the first Legionwood that talks about the surrounding planets, all with fictional names that I cannot remember, so I assume that the home planet has a unique name, too. Sorry for the poor wording in this paragraph. I am too lazy to fix it.

- I love how battle actions occur immediately. Being able to heal instantly is very nice. I really hated how the first Legionwood would queue actions until the end of the turn and then execute them all. It was annoying when I used a healing spell on someone only to said party member die before it reached him.

- Steal opens up new possibilities, but I'd like to know how the loot is determined. Is it the same as an enemy's regular dropped items, or a separate list of items?

- Hopefully enemy loot is a little more exclusive. In the first Legionwood, every enemy that dropped something good usually did most of the time. On example, in particular, was an enemy that dropped a Cutlass. At the end of the dungeon, I had around 5, and that was from simply running through and not spending time to grind. That is way too common, and it ruins the fun of finding rare items. One thing I love about RPGs is finding a weapon most people won't have at the time. Something about having a piece of equipment that won't be sold until later is very satisfying.

- While on this subject: the first Legionwood didn't have many secrets (or maybe they were so secret I didn't find any?). It seemed like every dungeon and every cave had chests out in the open. Some might have been off the path, but nothing was really hidden. No hidden chests behind the foreground, no false walls. Those are staples of RPGs and something that needs to be considered.

- Another note on secrets that I just remembered from the first Legionwood: please don't make the best weapons and armor missable. I know the Rift dungeon could be missed it you didn't do a side quest in an earlier chapter. I'm not sure if the spell caster weapon from the arena was missable, but my point is that they should be available forever.

- I like how agility is relevant now. In the first Legionwood, each battler, from both sides, got one turn each round, regardless of agility. Agility simply determined the order. Sure, agility gave battlers an earlier turn, which could sometimes be advantageous for healers, but in the end, everyone would attacks the same amount each turn. That's why I never touched agility in the first game. If you did crank up agility and the enemy still attacks first then all those points into agility were wasted. In this game, having low agility means the enemy team can attack multiple times before you get any turns, a major improvement over the first game.

- Stat distribution seems to be gone, but I can get over it if the class system is as customizable as you say.

- I haven't seen threat yet. Is it specific to a class? Does it even exist? It is a cool concept so I hope it didn't go away.

- One quick suggestion: PLEASE, when a party member is leaving for an extended period of time, REMOVE THEIR EQUIPMENT! This isn't just a Legionwood problem. Most RPGs have this flaw. I hate having to load a previous game and switch out a character's equipment just because he left with my best stuff.

- When a significant part of the plot advances, try to remember to heal all the characters. I know in the first Legionwood there was a few instances where the party rested up after an event but didn't have their HP/SP replenished.

- Curing Wound status costs 200 at the beginning of the game, which is way too much considering that the enemies in the first cave can instantly kill a character, even with the best armor at that point, with one critical hit.

- The inn "sleeping screen" (during the fanfare, after paying for the room) takes way too long. At first I thought the game froze or you forgot to normalize the screen's tint.

- Again, like the first Legionwood, enemies at the beginning of the game (the ones in the first cave, not the easy town-saving part) are too tough. Once more class and equipment options are available later in the game, it will likely balance itself out, much like the first Legionwood, but at the start, you are pretty much forced to grind a few levels if you want it to go smooth.

- Player and enemy order icons at the top are nice, but it is impossible to distinguish which enemy's turn is when because all their icons are the same. I know for a fact that Yanfly has a way to change this.

- The first boss (the ogre) is WAY too hard. Grinding is mandatory. It stunned one of my party members early on and he never recovered from it. Plus, there's no way to remove stun at this point in the game.

- Also, there seems to be no save crystals that heal like the first Legionwood. Although I've only made it to the first cave, I am pretty sure that save crystals were removed. The biggest clue supporting this theory is the fact that you can now save anywhere, even in caves, unlike the previous game. This is by far my biggest complaint so far. Not having save crystals that fully heal makes the already tedious grinding even more painful. Plus, you never know when a boss will be around the corner. In the first Legionwood, save crystals would usually signify a boss battle so you have time to prepare and know to save it. In this game, you just have to save every room since you never know when a boss battle will happen. I hadn't saved since the beginning of the cave so when the ogre boss killed me, I just quit.

I will eventually play again and focus on grinding some more. This game is fun, but some crippling issues are really holding it back. Issues that are easy to fix, too. I know that this game is still in early beta, but these issues still need to be addressed.

Hi! Thanks for playing and for your feedback. I will be addressing a lot of it. I agree; the game is not perfect. That's what the beta versions are for. Your points are all very valid.

I finished the first Legionwood earlier today and was excited when I found out the demo for this one was already released. My impressions were mostly favorable until the first boss battle with the ogre, which is where I found my biggest problem with this game. Here are the notes I wrote down as I was playing.

- The introduction scrolling text scrolls way too fast. I managed to read it all, but I like to take my time and concentrate on what I'm reading. A slight reduction in speed is all I ask. Ace doesn't actually allow me to change the speed, as far as I know, so I'll probably change that scene to one based on scrolling pictures instead.

- The random line breaks in text can be annoying. Its format reminds me of an essay, and "essay" should never be a word used to describe a video game.

They're not exactly random. They're paragraph breaks. They were in Legionwood 1 as well. I'm a writer, and it's just habit to break to a new line when a new "thought" is being discussed.

- When you first meet Felix and enter the town with him, there's an extra "you" in the message. No other spelling or grammar errors stuck out other than this one.

Thanks, I didn't catch that. I'll fix it up.

- I enjoy the organized inventory. It's a huge upgrade over the first Legionwood. Another cool improvement is the text displaying what items you've received after opening a chest. I hated Legionwood's pop-up text that always had a wait command between each item and was sloppy in general.

Legionwood 1 *did* have an organised inventory! In fact, it was more organised than this game's, with equipment being broken up into separate categories as well. But thanks for the compliment.

- When activating an event that displays a message while dashing with the shift button, the message will advance automatically. I'm not sure if this is a VX Ace issue or a game issue, but either way, it is minor since I enabled the auto dash option after experiencing this and that solved the problem.

That seems like an issue coming either from Ace or (more likely) from the Yanfly Message System, because it uses Shift as an advance button. I'll see if I can fix that.

- When you transfer to another map, most of the time you'll appear on the square that transfers you back instead of one beside it. This was the same with the first Legionwood. It is annoying when you accidentally enter the wrong place.

I never thought of that. I think there are more important things to fix, but I may fix this up when I have time.

- Maybe you could add a journal key item that gives you a review of your current objective. In the first Legionwood, I forgot where to go a few times.

I plan to add one later; it was just an issue of it not being implemented yet.

- The blacksmiths are still redundant, just as they were in the first Legionwood. They ask if you want something with a yes/no option, then ask to browse for weapons, armor or cancel. The first yes/no option should be removed since you can always hit cancel at the weapons or armor option.

I don't see any reason to not fix this up, so I'll do it when I have time. Not a major issue at the moment, compared to other things.

- The first major issue I have is the lack of information when browsing equipment. Currently, it only shows changes in damage or defense but not in stats like intellect or avoid. Luckily, there's an easy solution. Since you are already using Yanfly's battle system, you might as well use his shop script, too. It's called "Ace Shop Options", and it displays all stat improvements for weapons and armor.

Good idea! I'll implement that script immediately.

- At the blacksmith shop in Corinthe, you can walk through the walls at the entrance, and move along the exterior of the room. Should be an easy fix.

I shall now fix that. Didn't realise it was happening.

- I like how techs are in item form now. Making them portable makes it easier to teach new members techs without having to backtrack. I'm guessing that also means you can find techs throughout the game in chests and other locations, too.

Hey! Including special Techs in chests! Good idea!

- When you talk to the senator after Corinthe is saved, Felix makes a comment along the lines of "Hello, Earth to idiot". I'm no expert on the original Legionwood, having only beaten it once, but isn't the planet that hosts Legionwood called something else? Obviously the context wouldn't make much sense if there is no Earth. I remember a conversation in the first Legionwood that talks about the surrounding planets, all with fictional names that I cannot remember, so I assume that the home planet has a unique name, too. Sorry for the poor wording in this paragraph. I am too lazy to fix it.

Yes, Legionwood is set on a planet that isn't named Earth. I didn't think of that when I wrote this line, to be honest. It's like how in Chrono Cross, Kid shouts "speak English, you idiot" to Marle, and that makes as little sense.

- Steal opens up new possibilities, but I'd like to know how the loot is determined. Is it the same as an enemy's regular dropped items, or a separate list of items?

It's a separate list. There are items (such as special equipment) that you can only get from them by stealing. It's always worth trying to steal from a boss.

- Hopefully enemy loot is a little more exclusive. In the first Legionwood, every enemy that dropped something good usually did most of the time. On example, in particular, was an enemy that dropped a Cutlass. At the end of the dungeon, I had around 5, and that was from simply running through and not spending time to grind. That is way too common, and it ruins the fun of finding rare items. One thing I love about RPGs is finding a weapon most people won't have at the time. Something about having a piece of equipment that won't be sold until later is very satisfying.

I've worked on making enemy loot more valuable. Try stealing - you'll end up not needing to upgrade your equipment for a while.

- While on this subject: the first Legionwood didn't have many secrets (or maybe they were so secret I didn't find any?). It seemed like every dungeon and every cave had chests out in the open. Some might have been off the path, but nothing was really hidden. No hidden chests behind the foreground, no false walls. Those are staples of RPGs and something that needs to be considered.

I won't lie - I'm pretty bad at dungeon design, and I hate designing them. I also hate playing them, so I make straight forward ones that I'd play. I'll consider these things, though.

- Another note on secrets that I just remembered from the first Legionwood: please don't make the best weapons and armor missable. I know the Rift dungeon could be missed it you didn't do a side quest in an earlier chapter. I'm not sure if the spell caster weapon from the arena was missable, but my point is that they should be available forever.

I fixed both of those up; neither is missable in the currently released version.

- I like how agility is relevant now. In the first Legionwood, each battler, from both sides, got one turn each round, regardless of agility. Agility simply determined the order. Sure, agility gave battlers an earlier turn, which could sometimes be advantageous for healers, but in the end, everyone would attacks the same amount each turn. That's why I never touched agility in the first game. If you did crank up agility and the enemy still attacks first then all those points into agility were wasted. In this game, having low agility means the enemy team can attack multiple times before you get any turns, a major improvement over the first game.

Thanks! That was the idea.

- Stat distribution seems to be gone, but I can get over it if the class system is as customizable as you say.

Yep, I'm hoping the class system is a more structured replacement.

- I haven't seen threat yet. Is it specific to a class? Does it even exist? It is a cool concept so I hope it didn't go away.

It exists with Ace, so I will implement it later; just another case of not having used it yet.

- One quick suggestion: PLEASE, when a party member is leaving for an extended period of time, REMOVE THEIR EQUIPMENT! This isn't just a Legionwood problem. Most RPGs have this flaw. I hate having to load a previous game and switch out a character's equipment just because he left with my best stuff.

I will certainly keep that in mind.

- When a significant part of the plot advances, try to remember to heal all the characters. I know in the first Legionwood there was a few instances where the party rested up after an event but didn't have their HP/SP replenished.

This is done at a few points in this game.

- Curing Wound status costs 200 at the beginning of the game, which is way too much considering that the enemies in the first cave can instantly kill a character, even with the best armor at that point, with one critical hit.

I'll lower the price at the first sanctuary.

- The inn "sleeping screen" (during the fanfare, after paying for the room) takes way too long. At first I thought the game froze or you forgot to normalize the screen's tint.

I think so too, but then I'd have to cut the fanfare out earlier and it would sound like crap. I could find a faster one, though

- Again, like the first Legionwood, enemies at the beginning of the game (the ones in the first cave, not the easy town-saving part) are too tough. Once more class and equipment options are available later in the game, it will likely balance itself out, much like the first Legionwood, but at the start, you are pretty much forced to grind a few levels if you want it to go smooth.

I'll re-balance that dungeon soon.

- Player and enemy order icons at the top are nice, but it is impossible to distinguish which enemy's turn is when because all their icons are the same. I know for a fact that Yanfly has a way to change this.

It's just a case of lazyness at the moment; I haven't gotten around to making the separate icons yet.

- The first boss (the ogre) is WAY too hard. Grinding is mandatory. It stunned one of my party members early on and he never recovered from it. Plus, there's no way to remove stun at this point in the game.

Really? I'll be fixing Stun, but I found that I could defeat the Goblin King at level 3 without much trouble...

- Also, there seems to be no save crystals that heal like the first Legionwood. Although I've only made it to the first cave, I am pretty sure that save crystals were removed. The biggest clue supporting this theory is the fact that you can now save anywhere, even in caves, unlike the previous game. This is by far my biggest complaint so far. Not having save crystals that fully heal makes the already tedious grinding even more painful. Plus, you never know when a boss will be around the corner. In the first Legionwood, save crystals would usually signify a boss battle so you have time to prepare and know to save it. In this game, you just have to save every room since you never know when a boss battle will happen. I hadn't saved since the beginning of the cave so when the ogre boss killed me, I just quit.

There are no Save Crystals, but in each dungeon, usually close to where the boss is, I do provide a Healing Crystal in a chest, which, when used, performs the same function as the old Save Crystal. So you should always be able to fully heal before a boss.

I will eventually play again and focus on grinding some more. This game is fun, but some crippling issues are really holding it back. Issues that are easy to fix, too. I know that this game is still in early beta, but these issues still need to be addressed.

Hi guys, just letting everyone know that a new version is out (beta build 1.3) that fixes up quite a few balancing issues from the previously released version. You don't even have to download Legionwood 2 again, as I've uploaded it both in a full download and in a small update patch form.

Here's the changelog:

- Vanishing characters issue is fixed.

- Skipping the intro no longer prevents your characters from getting skills and items.

- Sub Classes no longer provide you with additional equipment options.

- Equipping a Sub Class now incurs a small statistical penalty, to attempt to balance equipping it.

- The Shield Earring no longer grants Attack. It now only grants Defense and Wisdom like it was meant to.

- The Swift Shoes now increase Agility by 20 instead of 50.

- There are no longer squares in the battle text.

- Enemies have had their Attack, Wisdom and Defense increased by 10%.

- The Curse Dryad is no longer encounterable in random encounters.

- Silencing now prevents Magus, Cleric and Rogue Techs from being used.

- Offense Ring, Mind Ring, Shoulder Pad and Shield Earring now grant percentage based bonuses.

- An extra cutscene has been added when the player enters the Forum in the intro.

- The description for the "Energy Bolt" item has been fixed.

- Battle items have been made slightly stronger.

- Inn fade out time has been decreased by half.

- Blacksmiths no longer ask the redundant "can I help you? yes/no" question.

- Various typos have been corrected.

- Shop scene has been upgraded to now show detailed information about purchases.

My next batch of notes. I was even lazier than before this time, and didn't proofread it, but you shouldn't have a problem understanding it.

- Easily the most annoying part of the game right now are the crashes. Three different errors have occurred, all during battle. Here are pictures of the three for reference.

j6tob4.png

29x6fl1.png

v3nmhi.png

The first error (line 897 one) happens the most. It randomly happens when moving left to reach the Retreat option. The second and third ones have only happened once. Since you started this game when the Japanese version was released, you probably haven't updated the scripts since first implementing them. So, you should check for updates and hope that solves the problem. Remember to back up your game before replacing a bunch of scripts.

- Having techs in chests is just the beginning. You could also have them dropped and/or stolen from enemies.

- I like how blocking now gives more than 1 SP like it did in the first game. This actually makes it a bit overpowered, since you can kill an enemies on the field except the weakest and continuously block, but reaching full HP and SP using that method takes awhile, so don't worry too much about it.

- After trying the ogre boss again, I agree that he is pretty easy. My first attempt, I thought he healed himself full after summoning his three ogre buddies. I was stupid and concentrated on his friend while he buffed himself and killed me with a multi-target ability. But if you focus him throughout the battle, he isn't very tough. Also, he is susceptible to pretty much every aliment you start with (toxify, -agi, -def) so he is even more laughable than that.

- Also on my first attempt, I didn't loot the chests east of the boss, one of which contains a healing crystal.

- Since my last save after my first death with the ogre was at the start of the cave, I had to re-experience it again. In the patch notes you said you re-balanced it and it shows. In fact, the cave might be a little too easy now. But that is not a bad thing. The first area should be easy so that players can get a feel for the battle and class system, so I say leave it as it is.

- I think you should give abilities the chance to critically hit. I know Yanfly has an option for that. One thing I disliked about the first Legionwood was that Double Strike couldn't critically hit. It was still a great ability, but that one girl who dual wields (too lazy to look up here name) didn't usually use Double Strike because both of her attacks could crit, causing much more damage than Double Strike ever could. She had 30% crit chance on my quest, and was by far my best character. Anyway, back on topic. You should at least add the ability to crit for physical techs. But adding it to magical techs as well would be even better.

- The sub spec penalty means having one early in the game probably isn't worth it, but I'm sure it will be invaluable later on. I can already think of some interesting combinations (like Warrior + whatever class will have threat abilities. Counterstrike + Sharpen + getting attacks by everything every round could be fun)

- The ladder at the end of the cave leads to the entrance. I find this a bit lazy. I was thinking that maybe it could lead to an alternate exit on top of the cave, above the entrance, and the player can jump down to the entrance from there.

- I like how cut scenes have the caterpillar system disabled and events activated to show your party meeting over a table or in a circle. It is way better than everyone starting at the back of leading party member's head throughout the scene.

- When you go back to the campsite after clearing the cave and during the conversation with Felix, "surrounded" is spelled wrong.

- Another cool feature in this game is being able to permanently learn an enemy's weaknesses and view them during battle with shift. Not only that, but exact values to determine if using that element outweighs another option. I hate how in the first game you had to remember the weaknesses of all the enemies, or cast the spell again.

- The boss is called "Curse Dryad". Should it be "Cursed Dryad"?

- The Curse Dryad fight is a hair too tough. The fight is optional I believe, and the enemies in the areas around are pretty simple so I expected a tolerable fight. To be fair, it isn't a VERY tough fight, but Minor Quake hits too hard. It killed all by one of my characters the first time I fought it. Having it cast twice in a row is guaranteed game over at that point in the game. Maybe a slight reduction in damage. Have it so that casting it twice in a row in battle will kill everyone (for those very unlucky), but reduce is a bit so that everyone can at least survive, even in critical condition.

- When the Curse Dryad dies, and after the ensuing cut scene, the game fade out, then back in. During this time, the caterpillar system is supposed to reactive and the events disappear. However, this instead happens after the screen fades back in, meaning the player fully sees the event disappear. It looks sloppy, but should be an easy fix.

- Here is a bug that really needs attention. When you arrive in Ironrim, you are told to go to the Forum to advance the story. Instead, I opted to explore the village. Well, in the Inn, I thought it would be a good idea to enter the second floor and see if there are any treasure. To my surprise, a cut scene played. It made no sense at the moment, but then I realized it wasn't supposed to happen yet. Appearently, there is an autorun event on that map that isn't supposed to run yet. After finally visiting the Forum, no one says anything interesting. I think a switch was turned on after that Inn cut scene and I missed a chunk of the story.

- Beast Cloak item: the description is cut off at the end.

- I stopped playing before the battle with the Zolom. He is tough, so I will probably have to level a bit. He also critically hits a lot, so it sounds like luck may be a small factor. Anyway, I will continue playing during the next week, but I think I have found most of the major bugs so far. It is a very fun game, so hurry up and finish it. (Actually, don't hurry up. Don't rush it, please.)

Edited by CMP366

Hey there!

Firstly, I've checked for script updates, and there aren't any that are newer than the one I've already got installed, so the script issues remain a problem. My scripting experience is limited, so I'll have an experienced scripter look over it and see what can be done.

As for the rest of the bugs (Beast Cloak description, cutscene in the Ironrim Inn triggering too early, fade out going too quickly after the Dryad fight etc), they've now been fixed up, and you should download the 1.4 update patch, if you'd like to see them fixed. In particular, by triggering the Inn cutscene, you did indeed disable a cutscene at the Forum which is meant to take place before it, though it's only a scene where Marcus goes through the plan to attack the mine.

I've also reduced the Sub Class penalty to a straight 10%, no matter which Sub Class you equip, so having one early in the game is in fact viable. I discovered a great combination when test playing last night; a Rogue/Gunner combination that knows Bullet Time. You equip the character with two weapons that cause status ailments, and then when you use Bullet Time, you have a chance of inflicting those statuses, on all enemies. That said, Sub Classes are certainly less useful in the early stages of the game than they will be later, when you have more ways to cover up the stat penalty.

I'm glad you like how Study Enemies works. A class that is unlocked later in the game (beyond the scope of this release) actually learns its Techs from enemies, a la Blue Mage from Final Fantasy. It is also the class that will be able to manipulate the Threat stat (though you will also be able to buy items/accessories that can change a character's Threat).

I'll think about implementing Critical Hits for Techs, as well. I wasn't aware a script was out for that, so I'll take a look.

Finally, the Zolom is an intentionally hard fight - it's the second last boss of the Beta. I've been piling up stat resisting Runecrafts for you to use all along the way, so utilise them to help you. Also: use the Slumber Sword. The Zolom has a 120% succeptibility to Sleep, and once he's sleeping, you get a few free turns to heal up and buff. You should be able to beat him at Level 7, which is the level I fought him at.

Edited by Dark Gaia

Hi, I'm currently playing your impressive game and I'm stuck when I fight the Cursed Dryad. It always crashed in the middle of battle. I've retried many times but it just occurred again and again. Has anybody found the solution? :)

I must admit, I have never encountered these crashes myself while playing, but they seem to happen to quite a few people at random. I tweaked the battle script a little in the latest version, so download the 1.4 Update Patch and see if it helps. If it doesn't, just keep trying that fight until it works, and I'll have someone who is experienced with scripting have a look at the bug.

Sunday, April 29th, 2012

What Comes Next?

Well, initial reception of Legionwood 2 seems to have been fairly positive. The first comments about the game have been invaluable in balancing and refining the mechanics and story, and it's done a lot better than I thought it would.

Hence, I've been spurred on enough that I've decided to work on another Beta release that will become available some time within the next few weeks.

This new Beta (version 2.0) won't include Chapter 2, but it will be including about an hour of extra content beyond the end of the current release, as well as refined systems, cleaned up cutscenes and writing and more.

The second Beta of Legionwood 2 will allow you to see Chapter One: Emergent Enemies through to its thrilling end, as the story picks up with Lionel and the group coming to after the explosion in Ironrim Mine to find that they've been knocked into the Eternal Gate!

Now they've become stranded in a lifeless world of darkness and danger that exists on the other side of the Gate, and while they desperately try to survive in the wasteland of Westholm so that they can reopen the Gate and return home, they'll encounter a certain character from Legionwood 1 and start to learn about the nature of the Eternal Gates and why they pose a threat to Legionwood.