Proteus

State protraits

Hi everyone! I don't know if anyone's asked this so far, but I'd like to know is there anyway to change actor portraits when afflicted with a state? Like if they are poisoned in battle their portrait changes to show they are sick. (I'm using the YanPac Battle HUD to display battle portraits.) Also if a character leaves battle and they're still poisoned I'd like their portrait to remain changed until they are cured. So perhaps the curative item would change the portrait back, so I guess that's actually two scripts I need. Any idea on how to accomplish this?

Just popping in to say that I've been looking for a script like this for ages, so i hope someone can make it!! It's a really fun idea that can spice up a standard battle scene without having to switch to some complicated animated sideview thing. Just having the faces occasionally do something other than sit there would make battles seem more exciting, I've always found that the default battle system isn't very visually appealing and that can be bad for drawing the attention of players.

Might I add that it'd be be cool to go the whole hog and make the portraits change for things other than states? Like maybe a "casting" and "getting hit" face that just flash up for a second or two, and then the ability to pop up something like a pic of a skull when the actor is KO'd? Having some sort of script command to change it on the fly would also be great, so it could be used in battle events. (Like maybe the boss taunts you and the actor puts on his best angry face and is all "You'll never get away with this!" XD Silly stuff like that, it just makes it more fun XD)

The closest thing I found was this: http://www.atelier-rgss.com/RGSS/Battle/ACE_BAT03.html

The demo contains a battle HUD w/ changing protraits. But it also contains a lot of extra elements (and I mean a LOT) that I don't really need. Also the comments in the scripts are, well.....in spanish. Or italian, not sure. :/

The demo is a "Master" Demo which contains all of Mog's scripts to show how well they all work in conjunction with each other (which is incredibly well, I might say). For the HUD you're looking at, the base script for it only contains what you see in the HUD, a nice upgraded graphical interface and the changing faces. All of the extras are from other scripts.

All you need to do is grab the HUD script and its associated graphics. "Mog_Adv_Battle_Hud" is the script name in the demo.

You'll also need the following graphics from the Graphics\System directory.

Battle_Hud_Layout.png

Battle_Hud_Meter.png

Battle_Hud_Number.png

You'll also want to grab this out of Graphics\Battlers

Leonarado_Face.png

You can use it as a template graphic file. It uses this for faces in its HUD. The script *will not* work properly without one for EACH actor that's added to the party. Just replace the faces in it with your own and stick in in your project's Graphics\Battlers directory. Also name it the exact name you gave the actor you want to use it, with _Face at the end. (For instance, if your actor's name is Kira Monotone, you'll name it Kira Monotone_Face)

As for the language, it's Portuguese. Just use Google Translate. It translates almost perfectly back to English.

Edited by Vaster

What do you mean by portraits? Are you talking about face pictures?

I can write a script for it but you will need to supply your own face pictures for each and every state that you want to display.

And if you have multiple states, then I just choose the one with highest priority.

Edited by Tsukihime

@Vaster

Thanks for explaining it better to me. Though I played the demo a bit and the HUD still doesn't do quite what I need it to do. For states it just puts a little rotating icon next to the actor's portrait. Really I just need it to change the portrait depending on a state.

@Tsukihime

Right now I'm using the YanPac Battle HUD, which displays the actor's picture during battle. These are the same "portraits" or pictures you see in the game menu for each actor. If you could write a script that changes it based on their state I would be really grateful! And really, I would use this more for a "transformation" state.

Like if the actor uses a "Berserker Mode" skill it would cause berserk status, I'd make a face picture with them looking pissed off, etc. So it would only have to change the portrait once. If there was a transformation state with a higher priority (let's say I made a "Demon Rage Mode" skill, for example), I would just have have that skill remove the lesser berserk state before adding the new one. A healer character could maybe have a "Calm" skill that removes these states, and changes the portrait back to normal.

That's how MY project would use it anyway. Other people may want something based on the priority of the state.

Make your transformation state high priority.

Otherwise, you would end up with poison state taking over your berserk state. Or, don't even have a poison state picture so that the new state doesn't replace an existing picture.

Though, coming up with a naming scheme is not really obvious...

I was thinking "actorName_stateName", but what if the player gets to pick the actor name?

So then I thought "actorID_stateName" but then what if you have dynamically generated actors?

Using the actor ID might be the easiest way though, assuming people don't have dynamic actors.

Edited by Tsukihime

Lol, well I don't plan to use either mechanic. Though I can see if people wanted to really customize their characters how it could present a problem. Out of curiosity are you referring to aliasing a method?

The priority refers to the icon priority in the database.

The naming scheme refers to how I will expect you to name your files.

Oh okay so you're going to use like a concatenated string to reference the graphic to display. As far as naming, you could just do do ACTORNAME_1, 2, 3, ... And have the number correspond to the ID of the state in the database.

actor ID is more reliable than actor name.

I'm thinking

"actorID_stateID"

So like

"Actor1_state4"

That sounds logical to me. If you could script something like that I would be eternally grateful! And I think a lot of people could make use of it as well. :)