Sign in to follow this  
Xamrin

Naming Save Files

I'm making a game where the protagonist is given a name by default (Rhea) but I can't distinguish between the files. Can I do nameable saves like in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night?

Err, do you want to rename the file, or do you want the game to display a name?

Cause RM by default assumes save01, save02, ... because they don't have a proprietary save format.

Edited by Tsukihime

Err, do you want to rename the file, or do you want the game to display a name?

Cause RM by default assumes save01, save02, ... because they don't have a proprietary save format.

I want the game to display a name. Like in other games like Castlevania and it says something like, Xamrin, Matt, xxSmokeWeed4lifexx. Something.

• Like 1

It's easy to change what is displayed on the save file window, but it's something you'd need to script.

It's easy to change what is displayed on the save file window, but it's something you'd need to script.

I'm not familiar with script but could you at least point me in the right direction? Where would I start exactly?

First you need to figure out how players will specify save names.

A player needs to be able to input their own save name before it is useful to actually display a save name.

Edited by Tsukihime

First you need to figure out how players will specify save names.

A player needs to be able to input their own save name before it is useful to actually display a save name.

When someone selects New Game there should be a screen for name input.

If you're going to turn this into a script request, then do so in the proper forum. If you don't know how to script, there's no such thing as "pointing you in the right direction" unless you actually mean hold you your hand through it and basically write the script ourselves but slower.

And having said that, I was already interesting in a writing a script like this, though I do have a few other scripts on my plate at the moment.

How about just "input a name for your actor" and use the actor's name as the save name?

Or just use a specific actor's name as the save name?

Or the party leader's name?

Edited by Tsukihime

If you're going to turn this into a script request, then do so in the proper forum. If you don't know how to script, there's no such thing as "pointing you in the right direction" unless you actually mean hold you your hand through it and basically write the script ourselves but slower.

And having said that, I was already interesting in a writing a script like this, though I do have a few other scripts on my plate at the moment.

I meant to ask what script controls save files so I could study it. I'm not asking for a script request.

I'm not familiar with script but could you at least point me in the right direction? Where would I start exactly?

Window_SaveFile would be a good place to start...

Window_SaveFile would be a good place to start...

Okay what I did was make it so that the first save point says "Please input file name"

What it actually does is give a name to actor #10 (Who doesn't exist in-game)

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  # * Draw Party Characters
  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  def draw_party_characters(x, y)
    header = DataManager.load_header(@file_index)
    return unless header
    header[:characters].each_with_index do |data, i|
      draw_character(data[0], data[1], x + i * 48, y)
      draw_text (x, y, width, line_height, header[attr_accessor :name
    end
  end

"draw_text (x, y, width, line_height, header[attr_accessor :name" is the text I put in. Now I'm just dumb so I'm trying to make it draw the name of the tenth actor on the save file. The only problem being that I have no clue how to indicate actor #10

Edited by Xamrin