Title.png

Introduction-1.png

Hello everyone. One year ago, I had this little idea floating around, but never had the chance to develop it too much until recently. Codenamed Lunar Crystal, this Windows application is a map editor. Head to the F.A.Q below to understand why was this created - for now, let us focus on what this is.

You can make excellent maps with this, but do note, this is not for newbies. If you are interested in creating detailed maps with some advanced features and utilities, this application may interest you. It DOES consume more time than normal, but this isn't about time. This is about quality mapping. These are rather early stages of development, and there is so much more we can add/improve. Your comments are welcome. Read the F.A.Q.

Features-1.png

• Unlimited tilesets
    • Each tileset follows VX's format: 512x512

[*]Unlimited layers

• Make organized, detailed maps with all layers you want.

[*]Pixel-precision object placement

• Choose the graphic you wish, and put it anywhere on the map. You are not limited by any grid at all - just like parallax mapping.

[*]Pixel-precision collision editor

• Given you can put anything anywhere, the player will also be able to move anywhere (pixel-precise), so now you can quickly tell the passable areas right in the editor! (see guidemap for more explanation).

[*]Animated objects

• Animate your own objects with any size and frames and speed you wish.

[*]Real-time preview of animated objects

• While creating your map, see your animated objects already with life right in the application!

[*]Fill floor with tiles

• Need to make some ground quickly? Just choose your tile(s), click a button, and instantly fill the layer with it!

[*]Chain placement

• You may create perfectly aligned rows/columns of a certain object with this powerful feature!

[*]Export to raw data, interpret in many ways

• Lunar can export to simple, text info. VX, Ace, and even other game engines can read the data and compress it in their own way. (VX will have a script to convert to secure data, for instance).

[*]Run-time map generation during gameplay

• Lunar doesn't create a huge image for you to use in parallax mapping - instead, Lunar's data is used to build the map during the game - saving valuable disk space!

[*]Quickly save/load Lunar files.

[*]Nearly infinite undo/redo.

[*]Preview screen tint color right in Lunar.

[*]Quickly edit lighting spots within Lunar to produce lighting in your game.

• Existing lighting scripts can be used along with such spots.

[*]So much more, and suggestions always welcome!

Guidemap-1.png

A simple and quick overview. It lacks some information, but it is good to get a basic idea of Lunar.

guidemap3.png

guidemap4.png

Guidemap1.png

Credits-1.png

Some people I'd like to thank due to their support in some way toward this project (whether they knew about it or not):

Catcat helped me arrange some of Celianna's wall tilesets for usage with Lunar.

Celianna gave me permission to use her tiles for Lunar testing and distribution.

Xiie (Reisen) and Zadorain are into beta testing sometime soon.

Buju made some animated water tiles (actually, he made them in exchange for that Barter script thing...). Unfortunately, I will not be using them. However, he did made an 8-directional Aluxes character too which I might actually use.

Support-1.png

Lunar is a new project under early development stages. There are many ways you can help us:

• Post, comment, give feedback, etc. Be active with us, let us know your ideas, and let other people know about Lunar.
  • Are you an artist? Have you ever made tiles? Post or PM me along with the graphics giving me permission to distribute them along with Lunar - so Lunar can start off with a large graphic base immediately! We can also keep using your talents, so just let us know.

FAQ-1.png

Will it support VX and Ace?

We're focusing on VX. If things go right, Ace support should be available soon as well.

When will this be ready?

I have other projects, some similar to this, and also school. It is not possible to state an accurate release date - and I don't dare to make a guess.

So will this support pixel-movement?

It should give the option to both use pixel-movement mode (with a separate script) or tiled mode (VX default). If you choose to use pixel-movement for player/events, you'll have to set collision properties with Lunar.

What will Lunar actually "produce"? A large image? Data?

When you are comfortable with your map, Lunar can export to a generic, plain text file. From that point, you can use a script made for VX that will convert such text data into actual rvdata, which will be used for generating the maps in your game. Lunar produces no images - saving nice disk space.

How will I edit events?

I haven't touched that area much. There are many proposals: perhaps Lunar can also export a big image version of the map so you can use as a reference when placing events in the game. Or maybe Lunar will setup "spots" that can be associated with your events, so it is just a matter of positioning the spots in Lunar, and editing the event's content on VX.

Is this better than parallax mapping?

It has some advantages. Aside from saving disk space, it can also set collision rectangles for pixel movement rather easily. If planned properly, it may be optimized enough to run smoothly. It is quite a matter of what you actually need for your game. This is debatable, but this is not the place for such.

Is Lunar free for commercial usage?

Yes, just remember to credit me through [Omegas7, J.V Wong, or www.omega-dev.net/forums]

However, the graphics you used to create the maps have their own usage terms and you will have to contact their respective artists about them.

News.png

18/02/12 - Introduced Lunar to community

20/02/12 - Improved object select/copy/paste/moving features for multiple objects at the same time

27/02/12 - Preview screen tint color

Currently: .PNG export feature.

Edited by Omegas7

Looks nice but in the FAQ it mentions it may support ace, so does it? i assume since your posting it does but you may want to remove that or clarify lol.

It is what it says. The current development stage is based on the application itself and the user experience. Implementation with game engines requires more work - currently VX the is the most supported one, but if the project works on VX, it is very likely it will as well with Ace.

the part of VX/ace is a May work, but I have to say that maybe some changes (variable ames/method names) will need to be renamed in order to run it properly.

But I must admit that this map editor is quite interesting.

Is this better than parallax mapping?

It has some advantages. Aside from saving disk space, it can also set collision rectangles for pixel movement rather easily. If planned properly, it may be optimized enough to run smoothly. It is quite a matter of what you actually need for your game. This is debatable, but this is not the place for such.

Don't need to be so modest. This kills parallax mapping. Totally looking forward to this.

One feature I'd love to see is, the ability to test tint in the editor, so that after mapping, we can see how a tint will look in the map, then we can go back to Ace to apply the tint. That would be much faster than opening the game all the time to check every time you change map tint.

And with that, a feature to see how a picture will look when it's displayed on the map is pretty nice too (like fog image, or lightning, etc.). Both features are just for testing and won't affect the map when it's converted into vx/ace format. The less I have to go back and forth with Photoshop, the better xD

Omegas blew all over our minds, we are now mindblown.

This looks quite classy, I might use it since it completely does away with parallax mapping.

If I'm reading it right, you can have more than just your default tileset (VX), if so, Ive found a new way to expand than parallax mapping.

Now I barely even need Ace, haha!

I'll try this out when its got a download, consider me a subscriber.

Now if only this had been made 2 years ago when I could have used and abused it. xD

I am just wondering when the expected or estimated time frame of a release of this wonderful work?

Sorry Didn't read all the FAQs. Anything I can do to help it get done faster.

and is your Map Saver Script been converted into RGSS3 yet? I kinda need it.

Edited by ShinGamix

update.png

It is now possible to preview a screen tint color. This feature is purely for previewing - the finished map will not come tinted. You will have to tint the map through events (as usual). Any color and intensity can be modified - but saturation requires more work (not matching VX's tinting feature very well).

Tintpreview-1.png

Current task:

Now that we got tint preview (requires more accuracy/polish), we'll implement .PNG exporting.

This is real kickass. I mean wow.

I do have an idea. How a bout a some sort of color editer thing... like if there's a blue flower but you want it red, you can do it with Lunar. You could do that with other programs but it'd add alot more convenience I think.

To be honest Omegas7 I was very interested to PM you and ask possibility for this to support Ace, as well. ;u; Have to say I am very happy to see you bring that chance up! 8)

Mmm.... Is it possible by any chance to be able to choose the tiles to use by 16x16 pixel precision? Just curious, if someone would be using VX autotiles, they'd need probably that size to get the edges and corners look natural. x3 It could be handy also in other occasions, too. Just idea to toss, if it is doable!

And good luck! <3

@ Scinaya: On the plus side, it's going to give Enterbrain a run for their money. I'm all excited for features the VXA offers, but several people have always wondered why a proper map editor was never included with the RM series. While I'm inclined to get the VXA, I'll be hardpressed to see which maker I use the most once Omegas7's own map editor comes out, assuming that I'll have the intellegence to use it, and assuming Omegas7's editor is not released for VXA right away. It seems that whenever a featured program comes out that works with a maker (such as SwapXT), Enterbrain answers by coming up with a new maker utilizing such a feature. So maybe this will be the push Enterbrain needs to create a decent map editor in their next installment.

Mmm.... Is it possible by any chance to be able to choose the tiles to use by 16x16 pixel precision? Just curious, if someone would be using VX autotiles, they'd need probably that size to get the edges and corners look natural. x3 It could be handy also in other occasions, too. Just idea to toss, if it is doable!

Yes, certainly doable. That's a good point. Well if you have pixel-precision placement, I'm sure only a few arrangements would be needed to use such corners. It is a nice idea anyway, will keep it in mind.

update.png

It is now possible to export your maps to .PNG. This feature is for things like sharing at Game & Map Screenshots, etc. You can also choose what layers to display, and for whatever reason, it is also possible to export the map with the rect collisions as well.

export.png

Current task: To be announced.

What do you mean? This feature is purely for screenshot purposes. The .png that is produced is not related in any way to Lunar's maps in your game (remember that Lunar uses pure data to create the maps runtime, not images like parallax mapping).

Will you provide dynamic lighting? Even manually editing it?

(I.E Light coming through the windows and Casting shadows and such)

Also, are you planning to release any videos showing off the features real time?

One thing I'm curious about this though, how is bush tiles and tiles overhead are gonna be handled? When we import tileset, can we simply edit it in Lunar Editor or we gonna have to resort to exporting overhead PNG files?

Will you provide dynamic lighting? Even manually editing it?

(I.E Light coming through the windows and Casting shadows and such)

Not dynamic lighting. Lunar will, however, permit the creation of "hooks" around the map that can be used along with existing lighting scripts for easily positioning lights.

I remember there existed a dynamic lighting script somewhere. If I find it, we can also implement it along with the hooks system.

Also, are you planning to release any videos showing off the features real time?

Yes! Either a little before or after my beta testers are done with their testing.

One thing I'm curious about this though, how is bush tiles and tiles overhead are gonna be handled?

The bush effect will be triggered by Lunar's Area system. Lunar can create rectangle areas of different types - one example would be the collision editor. It will be possible to create rectangle areas for such places where a bush is supposedly there.

When we import tileset, can we simply edit it in Lunar Editor or we gonna have to resort to exporting overhead PNG files?

What do you mean by overhead PNG files? If you mean the "top" layer, remember Lunar has a layer system, and one layer is reserved for the player and events. If you want something to go above the player/events, you will put it in a layer above the events layer.